Michigan State c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The average SIS score also confused me last year. Here's how I think it works. The SIS score is composed of your GRE scores, last 45, and science/required GPA. You can't just plug in the average stats and say that's the average SIS score because that's now how it works. Applicant A's 820 and Applicant B's 820 might be the same, but applicant A might have a 4.0 and ****ty GRE scores, while Applicant B has the opposite. They'd both be competitive because when you plug everything into the SIS calculator, it comes out to an 820. Applicant A's 4.0 will bring up the average GPA by a bunch, and applicant B's near-perfect GRE scores will do the same for the average GRE.

At least that's why I think their SIS score and stat averages are so different. Also, remember that the SIS scores on there are averages BEFORE they add in the bonus points from the essays. The actual average after the supplemental points are added is in the 900s or high 800s.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
790 is just the bare minimum you need for them to even look at you further is my understanding.

A competitive SIS varies depending on the other applicants but the website states that competitive for the class of 2017 was 800+ and competitive for class of 2018 was 820+. Nothing on the class of 2019 yet. [/QUOTE]

This is my understanding as well. I totally forgot this was on their website and I should probably go to bed. Haha.

If you are over 820, I wouldn't stress yourself out! I think you and I are in a similar boat, > 820, < 890. There's the chance for us to gain more during file review which I am really hoping for.

Hang in there.

The average SIS score also confused me last year. Here's how I think it works. The SIS score is composed of your GRE scores, last 45, and science/required GPA. You can't just plug in the average stats and say that's the average SIS score because that's now how it works. Applicant A's 820 and Applicant B's 820 might be the same, but applicant A might have a 4.0 and ****ty GRE scores, while Applicant B has the opposite. They'd both be competitive because when you plug everything into the SIS calculator, it comes out to an 820. Applicant A's 4.0 will bring up the average GPA by a bunch, and applicant B's near-perfect GRE scores will do the same for the average GRE.

At least that's why I think their SIS score and stat averages are so different. Also, remember that the SIS scores on there are averages BEFORE they add in the bonus points from the essays. The actual average after the supplemental points are added is in the 900s or high 800s.

Makes sense. I knew that wouldn't be the actual average SIS but I guess I just expected it to be similar for some reason.

Members don't see this ad :)

That makes sense! At the presentation I attended, the advisor put 4.0's and 170's to see what the highest SIS score could be (1055.40) and made the comment of... "If we see this, we think you are weird". That made me feel a little better :).

@Felixor90 , do you know if MSU will accept (and read) more than 3 eLORs? I know that some schools will only read up to 3 and that they can pick and choose which 3 to read if more were submitted. I have 3 evaluators confirmed but I am considering asking two professors. My only concern is that if MSU only reads 3 eLORs, I would be upset if they read from my professors instead of the DVMs I've worked with for eight years.

@Felixor90 , do you know if MSU will accept (and read) more than 3 eLORs? I know that some schools will only read up to 3 and that they can pick and choose which 3 to read if more were submitted. I have 3 evaluators confirmed but I am considering asking two professors. My only concern is that if MSU only reads 3 eLORs, I would be upset if they read from my professors instead of the DVMs I've worked with for eight years.
As far as I know, they read up to the maximum (6) allowed by VMCAS.
To the people who have applied before, what can you tell us about the supplemental? I just like to know what to expect.
Keep in mind that it might have changed this year. The supplemental consisted of 5 (maybe 6 if I'm forgetting one) short essays with a max character count of 900. The topics last year were: research experience, large animal/agriculture experience, socioeconomic challenges, diversity, and broadness of vet experience. All the info from VMCAS was already on the supplemental so you didn't have to do that again. Also, something important to note from last year: they sent the supplemental application in order in which they received the VMCAS app, so don't freak out if you don't get it and you start seeing others get it earlier. I don't know if they changed anything this year since I know VMCAS has the supplementals tied into their website now.

To the people who have applied before, what can you tell us about the supplemental? I just like to know what to expect.

Going off of what Felixor90 said, don't be discouraged if you don't receive an interview invite when it seems like everyone else is getting them - I must have been one of the last groups to get and submit the supplemental, and thus the last group to receive and interview. It will be stressful, but be patient!

Reactions: 1 users

Just a little edit.... Its actually the last 36 credits :)

Waiting for official scores... but the unofficial ones looked good and I know those are supposed to be pretty accurate. My SIS comes out okay with them.

Since you just took the GRE, any insight on what study materials helped you the most looking back?

Since you just took the GRE, any insight on what study materials helped you the most looking back?

Free practice tests. I took the powerpreps, the manhattan, and the princeton.

I also did some vocabulary review (nothing too serious) and definitely recommend the ETS math review.

My scores are official now. 167 v and 158 q! (my writimg was subpar but I don't think that matters)

Hey great job!!!! And thanks for the info! I've been doing the ETS Math review for the past month so I feel good that I'm on the right track!

Members don't see this ad :)
Free practice tests. I took the powerpreps, the manhattan, and the princeton.

I also did some vocabulary review (nothing too serious) and definitely recommend the ETS math review.

My scores are official now. 167 v and 158 q! (my writimg was subpar but I don't think that matters)

Awesome job on the GRE @finnickthedog !

Thanks guys!

Hey great job!!!! And thanks for the info! I've been doing the ETS Math review for the past month so I feel good that I'm on the right track!

If you have time before your test to take more practice tests than that, there was a list somewhere that I found on google of 33 or so free practice tests ranked by quality. Obviously you won't need all 33 of those but if you're looking for one or two more it was a helpful list.

If you have time before your test to take more practice tests than that, there was a list somewhere that I found on google of 33 or so free practice tests ranked by quality. Obviously you won't need all 33 of those but if you're looking for one or two more it was a helpful list.

Yes I will look at that! Thank you again! I can't wait to get this over with!

How are you all doing on your application?!? (Just want to make sure i'm not the only one who isn't done :shifty:)

How are you all doing on your application?!? (Just want to make sure i'm not the only one who isn't done :shifty:)

Blah. No. I'm a mess right now. So much to be done in the next month.

I still have to put two more evaluators in.
I've already asked them and they agree, but I need their emails so I can actually get them in. I'm planning to at least get that don't by the 15th (of this month) so they have at least a month to their evaluations. Both of them told me it wouldn't take them long so I'm not too worried.

I just started putting my experience into the app (I was keeping it in a google doc until now so I could make sure I had the order right) and I want to improve my description of duties for most of them.

Personal statement is in it's 2nd draft. Working on draft #3.

Explanation statement (because I do have one) needs some work.

And I still have to order my transcripts so I can confirm the info all looks like it does on the official and so that VMCAS has mine. I have a late payment on my summer semester though so I've got to take care of that first before I can even get them. *sigh*

So basically the only parts I have totally done are the achievements section and all of the personal information.

Blah. No. I'm a mess right now. So much to be done in the next month.

I hear ya, I am a disaster! This is seriously a full time job!!
I am really lacking on the achievements... aside from the Presidents list.... all my "awards" are from high school (which was 11 years ago lol).

I am still on my first (ish) draft of my personal statement... I work on it daily but I am just struggling. Hope this week it will come together because time is ticking!

Did you go to the admissions presentation at MSU?

I'm in the same boat as you guys, @finnickthedog and @LuckySpartan. LOTS to do!

I have entered in the coursework leading up until this summer but I would like my two summer courses to be on my application so my transcript isn't scheduled to get to VMCAS until my grades are posted (8/5/15). I wasn't planning on submitting until close to the application close date, anyway.

I recently just began to enter in my achievements and experiences. I have two awards from the shelter and listed the semesters I was on the President's or Dean's list, but that is all, nothing too fancy. The experiences I expect to take a lot longer as I figure out how to eloquently word a description of each with that tiny word count.

I am no where near finished my personal statement. In fact, I work on it daily and I am still thinking of new things I want to include. It really is a full time job! On top of summer courses and working...

Anywho, yeah! I'm a mess! I do appreciate this experience though, especially if I need to re-apply.

I'm in the same boat as you guys, @finnickthedog and @LuckySpartan. LOTS to do!

I have entered in the coursework leading up until this summer but I would like my two summer courses to be on my application so my transcript isn't scheduled to get to VMCAS until my grades are posted (8/5/15). I wasn't planning on submitting until close to the application close date, anyway.

I recently just began to enter in my achievements and experiences. I have two awards from the shelter and listed the semesters I was on the President's or Dean's list, but that is all, nothing too fancy. The experiences I expect to take a lot longer as I figure out how to eloquently word a description of each with that tiny word count.

I am no where near finished my personal statement. In fact, I work on it daily and I am still thinking of new things I want to include. It really is a full time job! On top of summer courses and working...

Anywho, yeah! I'm a mess! I do appreciate this experience though, especially if I need to re-apply.

Lets hope for no re-applying! Writing another personal statement would for sure send me to an early grave!!

How far back are you going for your employment/ experiences?

Lets hope for no re-applying! Writing another personal statement would for sure send me to an early grave!!

How far back are you going for your employment/ experiences?

I'm hoping to never apply again but part of me feels like this might not be my year, if that makes sense. I don't mean to be a negative nancy, but I know how awesome of a candidate I would be next year after having my B.S. complete and letting admissions see more academic work from me. If I were willing to apply OOS I might be more optimistic.

Regarding experience... I'm leaning towards including all of it, even the silly part time jobs (pizza delivery driver and a few different customer service gigs). I've been holding a steady job since I was 16. I started at the clinic when I was 17 but for about 3 years I was working at other places until I became FT at my practice. I even picked up PT pizza delivery hours in the last couple years to cover some of those orthopedic surgeries. I suppose I'm hoping it will shed light on my work ethic, etc. I also figure it could only hurt to not include it.

I hear ya, I am a disaster! This is seriously a full time job!!
I am really lacking on the achievements... aside from the Presidents list.... all my "awards" are from high school (which was 11 years ago lol).

I am still on my first (ish) draft of my personal statement... I work on it daily but I am just struggling. Hope this week it will come together because time is ticking!

Did you go to the admissions presentation at MSU?

I did not go to an admissions presentation...but I did get a lot of information secondhand from other pre-vet students at my college. Not ideal but oh well. I don't have a vehicle right now and Lansing is just a little too far for me to talk someone into giving me a ride.

My achievements aren't that great either really. I literally made the Dean's List once and I got two not terribly impressive scholarships.

Then I listed four different dog show awards. I was iffy about including them at first but I asked here and the general consensus was list everything and let the adcom decide if it's relevant.

My second PS draft isn't too different from my first to be honest, but I changed it a little with feedback from some readers here on SDN.

I'm hoping to never apply again but part of me feels like this might not be my year, if that makes sense. I don't mean to be a negative nancy, but I know how awesome of a candidate I would be next year after having my B.S. complete and letting admissions see more academic work from me. If I were willing to apply OOS I might be more optimistic.

I'm not feeling like it'll be my year either. I feel like I need more vet experience to get looked at seriously, but applying this year will be a good experience nonetheless... and as least next year I'm not starting a PS from scratch.

I did not go to an admissions presentation...but I did get a lot of information secondhand from other pre-vet students at my college. Not ideal but oh well. I don't have a vehicle right now and Lansing is just a little too far for me to talk someone into giving me a ride......
I'm not feeling like it'll be my year either. I feel like I need more vet experience to get looked at seriously, but applying this year will be a good experience nonetheless... and as least next year I'm not starting a PS from scratch.

I went about... five years ago lol. I doubt half of what I learned is relevant now but it did give me a good opportunity to form a relationship with Donna Grooms who works in admin at the CVM and has been incredibly helpful in this process. If you have questions I would highly recommend emailing her, she is incredibly kind and very helpful. Not to mention quick to respond.

How many hours do you have? I think when it is all said and done I will only have about 400 and that is mixed both large and small animals at 4 different clinics. Just like everything... I really think it is how you present your experience. Once again this is coming from someone who worked in Marketing :) Its all about selling yourself!

About extracurricular activities... do they mean just organized group activities or would for me, Ranch Roping be ok? lol

I went about... five years ago lol. I doubt half of what I learned is relevant now but it did give me a good opportunity to form a relationship with Donna Grooms who works in admin at the CVM and has been incredibly helpful in this process. If you have questions I would highly recommend emailing her, she is incredibly kind and very helpful. Not to mention quick to respond.

How many hours do you have? I think when it is all said and done I will only have about 400 and that is mixed both large and small animals at 4 different clinics. Just like everything... I really think it is how you present your experience. Once again this is coming from someone who worked in Marketing :) Its all about selling yourself!

About extracurricular activities... do they mean just organized group activities or would for me, Ranch Roping be ok? lol

I'm only going to have about 200 hours and it's all small animal. The majority of it at one clinic and then a couple of additional shadowed surgeries.

I do have a ton of animal experience which may or may not be helpful in light of my low vet hours.

I don't know... it does say you may include sports and hobbies. Sports are generally an organized activities but hobbies not so much. I looked through the successful applicants thread to get an idea of some of the things people would up including.

Finally applying for the first time (and pumped! :D). I will be an IS applicant. Good Luck!

According to the supplemental application (as of last year), you can select 3 eLORS (one must be a vet) that will go to review. It's up to you who you'd like them to read, so don't worry about them skipping over your DVM.

Felix is absolutely correct about the supplemental app times, so don't panic if you see others getting their before you.

According to the supplemental application (as of last year), you can select 3 eLORS (one must be a vet) that will go to review. It's up to you who you'd like them to read, so don't worry about them skipping over your DVM.

Felix is absolutely correct about the supplemental app times, so don't panic if you see others getting their before you.

Thank you for the information @HavocMI. I will only be applying to MSU this year and this will give me time to decide which letters I want them to read ahead of time.

Thanks! : ) I did my undergrad at MSU in Zoology...it's going sloooowlly haha but I'm very excited to get along with the process! Hope yours and everyone else's application is going well. I'm here for motivational support : D

This is random, but I made an appointment with an advisor this Wednesday to clarify a few things about the application process (mostly questions about the DVM/PhD and few other minor things). Is there any questions anyone has been meaning to ask admissions, but havn't gotten a clear answer? love to hear more suggestions, and then bring it back to you guys to help!

This is random, but I made an appointment with an advisor this Wednesday to clarify a few things about the application process (mostly questions about the DVM/PhD and few other minor things). Is there any questions anyone has been meaning to ask admissions, but havn't gotten a clear answer? love to hear more suggestions, and then bring it back to you guys to help!

Appreciate the offer! I have the admin office on speed dial so currently all my questions have been answered. Going to MSU on Monday with my puppy to see our ortho surgeon so I intend to stop by the office with any last minute issues

how hard do you guys think it is to get full SIS points in one of the essay portions (vet/animal experience, research, food production, social/economic challenges, etc.) and what would be considered competitive for that portion?

how hard do you guys think it is to get full SIS points in one of the essay portions (vet/animal experience, research, food production, social/economic challenges, etc.) and what would be considered competitive for that portion?
Very hard. From what I was told, only a handful of applicants receive points for the essays. Also, if I remember correctly, it's a yes/no with the points; no partial points are given. I'm pretty sure I got the points for 2-3 of them due to very unique experiences, but they don't tell you even after accepting you so I'll never find out. :/

Last edited:

Very hard. From what I was told, only a handful of applicants receive points for the essays. Also, if I remember correctly, it's a yes/no with the points; no partial points are given. I'm pretty sure I got the points for 2-3 of them due to very unique experiences, but they don't tell you even after accepting you so I'll never find out. :/

You can see on the class of 2019 profile the number of applicants who were considered to have "exceptional experience" in each of the areas.
I would assume these are also the number of people (at least among the admitted class) who received a boost to their SIS score in that category?

Question, are there essays on the supplemental application that will be emailed to us?

Adding onto that... if they are essays I assume they are very long? Don't we only get a week or something to do the supplemental?
They aren't that long from what I can remember. I believe you have a week, but it's doable with the amount you need to write.

You can see on the class of 2019 profile the number of applicants who were considered to have "exceptional experience" in each of the areas.
I would assume these are also the number of people (at least among the admitted class) who received a boost to their SIS score in that category?
Oh I hadn't seen that. That's more than I thought they picked for each category.

Adding onto that... if they are essays I assume they aren't very long? Don't we only get a week or something to do the supplemental?
Last year the cap was 900 characters, so I wouldn't even call them essays. The hardest part was being able to fit a decent description of what they asked in just a paragraph.

Wow. I think they added about 20 OOS seats for the 2019 class. I'm pretty sure my class is about 70 IS and 30OOS. Either they made more space in anatomy and histo labs or there is going to be some creative scheduling.

Hmm. Wonder why no one mentioned the additional seats.

Edit. Ok maybe not 20 but at least 10. And 24 dudes! Way to go.

Last edited:
Wow. I think they added about 20 OOS seats for the 2019 class. I'm pretty sure my class is about 70 IS and 30OOS. Either they made more space in anatomy and histo labs or there is going to be some creative scheduling.

Hmm. Wonder why no one mentioned the additional seats.

Edit. Ok maybe not 20 but at least 10. And 24 dudes! Way to go.

Yeah I know I thought that was a new thing with my class! I know there's going to be two separate histo and anatomy labs. Might have to do with that new interview style they had us do too.

Yeah I know I thought that was a new thing with my class! I know there's going to be two separate histo and anatomy labs. Might have to do with that new interview style they had us do too.
So you think they'll divide us into classes based on our answers from the interviews? :O

So you think they'll divide us into classes based on our answers from the interviews? :O
Yes those are my thoughts! Actually no I thought it might be why they accepted more OOS students, maybe they had a hard time choosing! It could be a decision they made beforehand of course but I think it's going to be good to get to know people from different areas, more networking possibilities outside of Michigan perhaps.

I helped with interviews and that's pretty impossible.

I wonder how they would do two anatomy labs though.

Nope, the interview doesn't have anything to do with putting you in different labs \ groups. Several vet and medical schools have started adopting the use of MMI's over panel and other types of interviews since they believe to be better at determining certain characteristics.

As for the character limits of the essays, its more about the quality of what you're putting into your response over the length, so just be sure to answer the questions as clearly and to the point as you can. The limits are 900 characters with spaces, so I'd recommend writing them out in Word, Pages, or whatever else (use spell check!), then manually retype them out in the application. That way you'll have a second look at it to fix anything and make sure things sound exactly how you meant them to.

Nope, the interview doesn't have anything to do with putting you in different labs \ groups. Several vet and medical schools have started adopting the use of MMI's over panel and other types of interviews since they believe to be better at determining certain characteristics.

As for the character limits of the essays, its more about the quality of what you're putting into your response over the length, so just be sure to answer the questions as clearly and to the point as you can. The limits are 900 characters with spaces, so I'd recommend writing them out in Word, Pages, or whatever else (use spell check!), then manually retype them out in the application. That way you'll have a second look at it to fix anything and make sure things sound exactly how you meant them to.

Thanks.

Are you required to answer all the questions? I'm just curious because I have no research experience for example, so a question that asks about my research experience wouldn't really be something I'd have an answer to--or not much of one anyways.