Michigan State c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can anticipate the pain!!! Bringing back personal statement anxiety!!

You can do it! You are sooooo close to earning that interview! :banana:

I'm honestly just feeling so lost right now though.

Some of them I can't even figure out where to start. It's only 900 characters so I feel like that really only gives you room to talk about one thing per section and even that is a crunch. Breadth/depth is really stumping me to be honest. If I had more room I could talk about that no problem... but in 900 characters? I'm not sure what I should choose to talk about. This is painful.

I'm sure I'll get this done... but it's going to take a lot out of me.

Also... can I go back to writing the personal statement instead? Please? Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my application 8/19 and have not heard anything from MSU. I saw that some people got emails regarding MSU calculating their SIS scores but I haven't even received that. I didn't take the GRE until 9/1 but they should have received scores by now I'd imagine. The GRE went poorly for me, but I should still hear something from MSU right?

I submitted my application 8/19 and have not heard anything from MSU. I saw that some people got emails regarding MSU calculating their SIS scores but I haven't even received that. I didn't take the GRE until 9/1 but they should have received scores by now I'd imagine. The GRE went poorly for me, but I should still hear something from MSU right?

When were you verified?

I got the email about calculating SIS scores pretty quickly after I was verified so I don't know... it may be worth looking into because I'm sure you were verified before me considering when you submitted.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm honestly just feeling so lost right now though.

Some of them I can't even figure out where to start. It's only 900 characters so I feel like that really only gives you room to talk about one thing per section and even that is a crunch. Breadth/depth is really stumping me to be honest. If I had more room I could talk about that no problem... but in 900 characters? I'm not sure what I should choose to talk about. This is painful.

I'm sure I'll get this done... but it's going to take a lot out of me.

Also... can I go back to writing the personal statement instead? Please? Haha.

Try to focus on what you believe as your best accomplishments or experiences instead of everything. Remember, they have all of your experiences listed on your VMCAS application, so you don't need to list them all again. These questions are more to look at how your experiences have affected you to get you to where you are today, and less about things like "I like kitties because they're cute!" Think of it like this, does a dog walking job you did 15 years ago with a friend impact you more than say, shadowing a vet for awhile or helping at a shelter? Just be clear and on point, and try not to get bogged down with quantity over quality.

For better or worse (hopefully better!) you'll hear back from them. They've been pretty good about not leaving people hanging. Have you been verified yet? Sometimes it takes a bit on VMCAS's side to get GRE's, transcripts, etc.. entered before you'll get verified. Then it'll take a couple weeks normally before you'd hear from MSU. Since the deadline just passed, I'm sure they're swamped right now as well.

Try to focus on what you believe as your best accomplishments or experiences instead of everything. Remember, they have all of your experiences listed on your VMCAS application, so you don't need to list them all again. These questions are more to look at how your experiences have affected you to get you to where you are today, and less about things like "I like kitties because they're cute!" Think of it like this, does a dog walking job you did 15 years ago with a friend impact you more than say, shadowing a vet for awhile or helping at a shelter? Just be clear and on point, and try not to get bogged down with quantity over quality.

On that note... my most important experience (which would fall under depth/breadth crap) was already covered pretty well in my PS. So am I correct in thinking I should I skip that and choose to talk about something else on the supplemental?

Cannot wait to be done with this part.

I would still mention it if you think it's a major part of your experience for getting this far. I wouldn't cut/paste your P.S. into it though since you need space to explain how its impacted you. A side note: my way of trying to think of how to fit something into a small word count is to outline it in Word or whatever and expand that way. Make a list of a number of things like experiences, expand on each using bullet points or numbers, then once you feel like you have a decent list and could answer the question, trim out the least important ones and cleanup your wording until you get to your limit. Obviously its not fool proof, but the more you can organize your thoughts, the easier of a time you'll have and may even come up with a better response.

Worst case, give them a call or email and ask. I don't think they'll give exact answers, but at least they could point you in the right direction.

So heads up on verification. I just called VMCAS because I submitted early and haven't heard anything about verification. All of my documents are in and have been in, but my application wasn't put in line for verification for some reason. They said it was a glitch in the system. If you submitted early, but haven't heard anything, I would call to see where you are.

Can you advise on the factors that determine who gets an interview? Is it the same as last year when they interviewed everyone with an SIS of 790 or above?

I have an update Lucky! It looks like you have to go through file review before you get an invite this year. That means there will most likely be a smaller number attending interviews this time as well.

Also, they've updated the DVM program page and added a section about interviews under announcements:

http://cvm.msu.edu/future-students/dvm

It's not much yet, but they'll be adding stuff as things go along so it might be worth checking out on occasion.

So heads up on verification. I just called VMCAS because I submitted early and haven't heard anything about verification. All of my documents are in and have been in, but my application wasn't put in line for verification for some reason. They said it was a glitch in the system. If you submitted early, but haven't heard anything, I would call to see where you are.

Thanks for posting that. I have not been verified yet and was getting worried because I hadn't heard anything from MSU yet!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email as well this morning from vmcas about being verified and received an email from MSU this evening about sis scores but said they need my gre scores to complete it even though i sent them sept 2nd and other schools have received them. Hmm..

I got an email as well this morning from vmcas about being verified and received an email from MSU this evening about sis scores but said they need my gre scores to complete it even though i sent them sept 2nd and other schools have received them. Hmm..

From reading previous posts its an automated email. You should hear from them soon but if you don't within the week, email them to make sure they received your scores

Leave it to my university to screw up my application and not VMCAS!! I was looking over my verified application yesterday and what do you know... my summer classes say "planned/ in progress". The VMCAS staff responded within minutes of my inquirey and informed me that my lovely school send the transcript without my summer grades posted. So much for checking the box "Send after semester grades are posted".

Anyways, they are resending my transcripts, VMCAS has agreed to fix the error and update my application. I also sent my correct transcript to MSU and emailed them about the issue.... Cant help but be concerned that this grade won't make it into my paper work which will totally screw up my GPA calculations.

Last but not least, MSU responded to my email with "Thank you for the information." Not sure what to do with that... Hoping it means "No problem, we will update your application." :(

Leave it to my university to screw up my application and not VMCAS!! I was looking over my verified application yesterday and what do you know... my summer classes say "planned/ in progress". The VMCAS staff responded within minutes of my inquirey and informed me that my lovely school send the transcript without my summer grades posted. So much for checking the box "Send after semester grades are posted".

Anyways, they are resending my transcripts, VMCAS has agreed to fix the error and update my application. I also sent my correct transcript to MSU and emailed them about the issue.... Cant help but be concerned that this grade won't make it into my paper work which will totally screw up my GPA calculations.

Last but not least, MSU responded to my email with "Thank you for the information." Not sure what to do with that... Hoping it means "No problem, we will update your application." :(

Based on this (from MSU's website) I think you should be fine even if it doesn't ended up on your VMCAS coursework:

"If you have taken summer 2015 courses and are not able to post those grades and submit those official transcripts prior to the VMCAS deadline, we will ask you to send those transcripts directly to our Admissions Office."

But yeah, it would be nice to hear something a little more detail than "Thanks for the information"... but then again I'm sure they're busy right now.

Based on this (from MSU's website) I think you should be fine even if it doesn't ended up on your VMCAS coursework:

"If you have taken summer 2015 courses and are not able to post those grades and submit those official transcripts prior to the VMCAS deadline, we will ask you to send those transcripts directly to our Admissions Office."

But yeah, it would be nice to hear something a little more detail than "Thanks for the information"... but then again I'm sure they're busy right now.

Indeed. I did email them again, trying not to be annoying but its important, asking if I should assume from their response that the grade will be added to my application and will be included in the calculation of my SIS score.

By the way, how is the supplemental going? Not sure if you can disclose or not but... Is it 900 characters per question/ section?

Indeed. I did email them again, trying not to be annoying but its important, asking if I should assume from their response that the grade will be added to my application and will be included in the calculation of my SIS score.

By the way, how is the supplemental going? Not sure if you can disclose or not but... Is it 900 characters per question/ section?

Arghaahsughwnkscsdfeurgh!

That's how it's going ;)

Nah, but in all seriousness it's killing me but I am getting somewhere with it.
After I submit this thing I'm going to be so relieved (at least for a few minutes... before I start biting my nails over whether I'll get an interview)

Don't worry about sounding annoying, it's better to ask for clarification then going insane. As long as you're formal, everything is fine. As for the 900 count, it's 900 including spaces, so it's best to use Word or something to check how close you are to the limit. It does tell you if you've gone over, but doesn't give a character count as you type.

Will MSU notify us if we are not eligible for the supplemental application?

Good question. So far that hasn't happened to anyone I know so I guess right now it's just wait and see unless you want to call/email and ask.
If you're confident in your SIS calculation though and it's above 790 there shouldn't be anything to worry about as far as getting the supplemental.

EDIT: And I would assume that yes, they'd let you know if you weren't getting the supplemental. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to just leave people hanging. I don't know how long it would take to hear back though.

Last I heard, anyone who doesn't have a SIS of 790 (when they first check it) will be put in a holding pattern and looked over again once they have all of the information in from VMCAS, GRE's, and transcripts. I don't know how long that would take and I'd guess it depends on the number of people applying and how behind VMCAS is at getting everything to MSU. I know from last year that they let everyone who didn't get a supplemental know, so it would be safe to assume they will again this year.

Edit: Forgot to mention, they said they wait until everything is in to make sure that something wasn't missed the first time around that would have affected the SIS.

Does anyone know about when interview invites will start going out? This waiting game is killing me.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know about when interview invites will start going out? This waiting game is killing me.

I don't think the invites or the dates of the interviews have been posted yet. They usually post them to http://cvm.msu.edu/future-students/dvm once they're ready to send invites. If I had to guess, I'd say it'll be closer to November since everyone's still waiting for their supplementals, but I don't know how they're handling things this year.

I got my supplemental today... as well as Ohio's... and I haven't finished Cornell'... I have a busy week ahead.

Just wanted to say hello. This is my second year applying as an OOS. Good luck everyone!!!

I suggest you focus on other things that aren't related to the application or you'll go crazy. This entire process is a waiting game and it only gets worse when you have to wait for an answer after the interview. Remember that you'll be waiting until March of next year for some schools (including MSU with the exception of a few individual applicants that get notified early) to make final decisions. Also, interview invites shouldn't start going out until a few weeks to a month from now if they're following the same schedule as last year.

I suggest you focus on other things that aren't related to the application or you'll go crazy. This entire process is a waiting game and it only gets worse when you have to wait for an answer after the interview. Remember that you'll be waiting until March of next year for some schools (including MSU with the exception of a few individual applicants that get notified early) to make final decisions. Also, interview invites shouldn't start going out until a few weeks to a month from now if they're following the same schedule as last year.

I'm aware that it's a waiting game, but I'm in the process of trying to plan a service trip so I wanted to get an idea of dates to avoid. Also, I've already interviewed at two schools and been accepted to one, so I haven't had to wait much yet! :)

Supplemental due tomorrow. I'm not ready.

Of the four questions I'm answering one is complete but 7 characters too long. The other three I'm still working on rephrasing so that they really say what I want. I hate the lack of time to work on this thing and I wish it had been a part of the the VMCAS because I would have had plenty of time to work it in. I spent the first couple of days on this thing staring at a blank page and thinking. *sigh*

You can do this finnick. You can do this.

Reactions: 1 users

Of the four questions I'm answering one is complete but 7 characters too long. The other three I'm still working on rephrasing so that they really say what I want. I hate the lack of time to work on this thing and I wish it had been a part of the the VMCAS because I would have had plenty of time to work it in. I spent the first couple of days on this thing staring at a blank page and thinking. *sigh*

Hey... just so you know... under pressure diamonds are made. You will get it done and it will make you shine!

Reactions: 3 users

I took out a lot of "ands" and "howevers" and other fillers like that with my personal statement to get it under the character count. I'm sure you've done that already, but just a tip, transitions generally can be cut without changing your meaning.

Guys, am I missing something.. it says "six topics" but I only see A B C D E... which is five...

Also sorry I'm spamming the thread I just got the supplement today, but the research question confuses me. Do I have to be on a paper to answer the question?

Guys, am I missing something.. it says "six topics" but I only see A B C D E... which is five...
Nope, you're not missing anything. That page also contains questions for vet scholars and production animal applicants, but don't appear unless you specifically applied under those terms (I also think you would have had to be doing something with the MSU advisers & faculty). They're already aware of it and said they'll fix it, but have to wait since they don't want to risk updating the site while someones in the middle of doing their questions.

As for the research question, I don't think it needs to be published as long as it was considered some type of extensive research and they have an ability to contact whoever was the lead on it. It might be worth contacting [email protected] or giving them a call to know for sure though.

4 hours until my supplemental is due. So it's really more like 2-3 hours because I'm not waiting until the very last minute. Polishing these stupid answers up but they still read like crap to me. Blahhh.

I did get my long one under the limit though. :D

I'm aware that it's a waiting game, but I'm in the process of trying to plan a service trip so I wanted to get an idea of dates to avoid. Also, I've already interviewed at two schools and been accepted to one, so I haven't had to wait much yet! :)
unfortunately, vet schools don't give a ton of advance notice.

Is this starting to feel like deja-vu to any c/o 2019 students yet? ;)

Reactions: 2 users
The evil supplemental has been submitted.
Although technically apparently I can still make changes to it for the next three hours if I really wanted to.
I just submitted my supplemental as well. it's pretty difficult to explain the breadth/depth of anything in 900 characters. To write about an experience, its impact on you, how it effected education, and how it will make you a better vet in ~150 words is kind of ridiculous.

I just submitted my supplemental as well. it's pretty difficult to explain the breadth/depth of anything in 900 characters. To write about an experience, its impact on you, how it effected education, and how it will make you a better vet in ~150 words is kind of ridiculous.

Yup. It was a pain the rear.
Honestly I'm not sure I even answered the whole question for all of them. I definitely touched on how each would make me a better vet but I may have glossed over affects on education and impact on me for some of them because there just wasn't the space. Breadth/depth was especially challenging for me. On the whole though I think they turned out fine. I'm really not banking on getting extra SIS points anyways but had to give it a shot.

Also sorry I'm spamming the thread I just got the supplement today, but the research question confuses me. Do I have to be on a paper to answer the question?

Yeah I think for the research they are looking for significant experience involving your own research, or at least being an author on a paper. But I honestly think you should write about any experience you have. It is up to them if they award points or not. But I think having any lab experience beyond coursework is advantageous. Like obtaining skills such as: plating cells, immunoprecipitation, bradford assays, sterile hood protocol, RNA isolation/quantification, cDNA synthesis, exc.

Yup. It was a pain the rear.
Honestly I'm not sure I even answered the whole question for all of them. I definitely touched on how each would make me a better vet but I may have glossed over affects on education and impact on me for some of them because there just wasn't the space. Breadth/depth was especially challenging for me. On the whole though I think they turned out fine. I'm really not banking on getting extra SIS points anyways but had to give it a shot.

I am still waiting for my supplemental because my VMCAS app is still in verification, but how did you guys answer the cultural diversity prompt?

Yeah I think for the research they are looking for significant experience involving your own research, or at least being an author on a paper. But I honestly think you should write about any experience you have. It is up to them if they award points or not. But I think having any lab experience beyond coursework is advantageous. Like obtaining skills such as: plating cells, immunoprecipitation, bradford assays, sterile hood protocol, RNA isolation/quantification, cDNA synthesis, exc.

You're right I emailed them and they said to definitely answer the question, making sure I include whatever impact or suggestions were directly my involvement. So they are definitely looking for something significant. I'll figure something out I can say....

I am still waiting for my supplemental because my VMCAS app is still in verification, but how did you guys answer the cultural diversity prompt?

I'm planning to talk about my experience volunteering in Guatemala for that one. That prompt isn't just cultural though, it's also like if you've had a second career, or done any type of community service you can answer it.

Just wondering, how long did it take them to send you the supplemental application? I got verified last week and got an email on the same day from Michigan stating that they will calculate SIS scores and what not. But I'm pretty sure my SIS score is above 790, and I haven't received the email to complete the supplemental app.

Just wondering, how long did it take them to send you the supplemental application? I got verified last week and got an email on the same day from Michigan stating that they will calculate SIS scores and what not. But I'm pretty sure my SIS score is above 790, and I haven't received the email to complete the supplemental app.

Mine was 3 days from the first email. There is probably some variation but if you're worried you can call/email and ask. I think it say it can be up to 6 weeks from verification.

I really wish their supplemental had been available earlier in the cycle. By this point I'm totally burned out and having the hardest time coherently answering anything.

Do you think my PI's contact information counts towards my 900 characters in the research essay? I'm due at 1pm tomorrow, two essays are two long, working on cutting and the third I'm still stuck on what to say (the other two don't apply to me) ugh help !

Do you think my PI's contact information counts towards my 900 characters in the research essay? I'm due at 1pm tomorrow, two essays are two long, working on cutting and the third I'm still stuck on what to say (the other two don't apply to me) ugh help !

I would say yes... because it's an online application I'm guessing the character limits are imposed by the application.
You should probably send an email to ask if you're unsure but I would imagine it will cut you off at 900 characters.

If it makes you feel better the a lot of the work for my supplemental was done the morning of the day it was due. Don't get me wrong, I worked on it and I wrote things starting on the day it opened... but my final product was largely fueled by deadline induced brilliance. I wasn't sure was I going to make it but I did.

You can do this!