Michigan State c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would say yes... because it's an online application I'm guessing the character limits are imposed by the application.
You should probably send an email to ask if you're unsure but I would imagine it will cut you off at 900 characters.

If it makes you feel better the a lot of the work for my supplemental was done the morning of the day it was due. Don't get me wrong, I worked on it and I wrote things starting on the day it opened... but my final product was largely fueled by deadline induced brilliance. I wasn't sure was I going to make it but I did.

You can do this!

I'll check on the supplement itself whether it cuts me off. I'm working from a google doc now. I can try to email (they're usually quick), but I'm 14 hours away now, so it'll be tough.

I didn't start until 4pm today, so I'm the worst! Other than looking at the questions and gathering thoughts. I know I'll turn something in, I just don't know how good it's going to be. Honestly, I don't think I'll get those exceptional points either way. I have decent experience, but even with a good write-up, I doubt this supplement will matter too much. That's if you guys were right when you were discussing the supplement's main purpose being the "exceptional points" to be added to your SIS score.

EDIT: Just checked, not cut off. So hopefully since my essay is under 900, they don't hate me.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think my PI's contact information counts towards my 900 characters in the research essay? I'm due at 1pm tomorrow, two essays are two long, working on cutting and the third I'm still stuck on what to say (the other two don't apply to me) ugh help !
Just wondering....why are you including contact information in an essay?

Just wondering....why are you including contact information in an essay?

It's in the prompt! "Please briefly outline your experience involving original research or a funded research program leading to a publication, poster presentation, or an advanced degree (MS or PhD); include name and contact information of research mentor(s). Please expand on how these experiences impacted you, affected your education, and how will they make you a better veterinarian:"

Members don't see this ad :)
It's in the prompt! "Please briefly outline your experience involving original research or a funded research program leading to a publication, poster presentation, or an advanced degree (MS or PhD); include name and contact information of research mentor(s). Please expand on how these experiences impacted you, affected your education, and how will they make you a better veterinarian:"
That is definitely 100% different from last year! At least they specify they only want to hear about published/advanced degree research. They've never outright specified this before, so it will probably save them a lot of time by not having to read about undergrad stuff. I would call and ask about it being a little over 900 characters. I might be too paranoid, but if they want 900 or less, they will expect 900 or less. If you ignore that, they might not appreciate it!

Yeah... I was kind of grateful that was the one prompt that in no way applied to me.
I don't understand why they need you to repeat the name AND contact information when it's presumably already on your application. Would make more sense in my opinion if they only asked for the name and then asked for the contact information IF and only if it wasn't already provided on the app.

But meh... that's just me.

That is definitely 100% different from last year! At least they specify they only want to hear about published/advanced degree research. They've never outright specified this before, so it will probably save them a lot of time by not having to read about undergrad stuff. I would call and ask about it being a little over 900 characters. I might be too paranoid, but if they want 900 or less, they will expect 900 or less. If you ignore that, they might not appreciate it!

I actually emailed them about that because I haven't been published, and they said they still wanna hear what I've done as a research assistant, but they're looking for your original ideas and suggestions within the research, which I didn't have a ton of, but I took a different spin with it. Hopefully they appreciate it.

I agree with you, I'm always overly paranoid, which is why I'm asking here. They're usually quick to respond to emails, so I'm going to send one now.

I actually emailed them about that because I haven't been published, and they said they still wanna hear what I've done as a research assistant, but they're looking for your original ideas and suggestions within the research, which I didn't have a ton of, but I took a different spin with it. Hopefully they appreciate it.

I agree with you, I'm always overly paranoid, which is why I'm asking here. They're usually quick to respond to emails, so I'm going to send one now.
Good luck!! If it helps, you can always do only one space between sentences if you're comfortable with that. I think I ended up doing it for one of my essays to one of my schools. It bothered my OCD quite a bit, but it had to be done haha

Yeah... I was kind of grateful that was the one prompt that in no way applied to me.
I don't understand why they need you to repeat the name AND contact information when it's presumably already on your application. Would make more sense in my opinion if they only asked for the name and then asked for the contact information IF and only if it wasn't already provided on the app.

But meh... that's just me.
Exactly, she's one of my eLORs too, so they have it there.... and even if she wasn't, VMCAS recommends contact information for all experiences. They should clarify something like "if not listed elsewhere on application."

I'm due tomorrow at 1 too! Currently finishing up my last answer now that the WW has hit a lull for the night.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think my PI's contact information counts towards my 900 characters in the research essay? I'm due at 1pm tomorrow, two essays are two long, working on cutting and the third I'm still stuck on what to say (the other two don't apply to me) ugh help !

Any character entered into the text boxes count towards the 900 total. It should tell you once you've gone over, though you are able to keep typing well beyond 900 (it just wont let you submit it and will complain). If room becomes a problem, try getting rid of filler words like also, however, and such.

Finnick, I believe they ask again for the contact information due to the fact that some people submit their VMCAS extremely early and their research reference moves, changes, numbers, etc.. preventing the reviewers from contacting them. I would assume the reviewer would make an effort to contact them, but most likely won't go way out of their way to try and find someone.

Any character entered into the text boxes count towards the 900 total. It should tell you once you've gone over, though you are able to keep typing well beyond 900 (it just wont let you submit it and will complain). If room becomes a problem, try getting rid of filler words like also, however, and such.

Finnick, I believe they ask again for the contact information due to the fact that some people submit their VMCAS extremely early and their research reference moves, changes, numbers, etc.. preventing the reviewers from contacting them. I would assume the reviewer would make an effort to contact them, but most likely won't go way out of their way to try and find someone.
You're right, as soon as I tried to hit "submit" it gave me an error. I just took out another sentence to make up for it.

It makes sense that there are reasons they would need fresh contact information... but they could still say "if the contact information has changed or is not on your application"... or something to that effect.
I just know how much I struggled to keep mine under 900 characters and having to repeat contact information would have made it all the more challenging because that's a pile of characters in which you are communicating basically nothing about yourself.

Looks like I'll be a tour guide for some of you that interview on Dec 11th and Jan 7th. They still haven't finalized the last 2 dates but i'll probably help out for those too. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like I'll be a tour guide for some of you that interview on Dec 11th and Jan 7th. They still haven't finalized the last 2 dates but i'll probably help out for those too. :)
Sweet chicken - feel free to let them know they can start sending out interview invites annnnnnyyyydaaaaayyyy :D

Silly question, but what does unique cultural experience mean (ie. my heritage)? Trying to finish up my supplemental and getting stuck at this point

Is anyone else having trouble paying for their supplemental? I've tried on different days with different cards and it keeps saying it's a security issue and wont take the payment. I figured it was an issue with my card but there's no way 3 different working cards all have the same error.

Silly question, but what does unique cultural experience mean (ie. my heritage)? Trying to finish up my supplemental and getting stuck at this point
I wrote about my study abroad trips. I think they're just looking to see if you've had experiences outside the community that you're comfortable in. Although if you have some kind of unique experience related to your heritage I'm sure they would be interested in that too!

Is anyone else having trouble paying for their supplemental? I've tried on different days with different cards and it keeps saying it's a security issue and wont take the payment. I figured it was an issue with my card but there's no way 3 different working cards all have the same error.
Make sure that you're using the same address that you have tied to your bank. The address MSU uses is whatever you put into VMCAS, so if it's your dorm or apartment, but your bank has say, your parents address, it'll cause it to fail. If that doesn't work, you should email their IT at [email protected]

Reactions: 1 user

I would write about any experiences that have impacted your view on different cultures or changed your perspective on world issues or policies. I know several people who wrote about veterinary experiences in other countries (veterinary travel trips in Guatemala), travel abroad, or exceptional poly-lingual abilities.
Personally, I have lived in 3 different countries and have family abroad. I was going to try and link my cultural perspective with the impacts of my upbringing in different countries and my travel experiences. Not really sure if it will work, but I figured I'd give it a try.

Does anyone know if working at an equine breeding farm equates to agricultural experience?? I feel so bad leaving any of these blank!

Does anyone know if working at an equine breeding farm equates to agricultural experience?? I feel so bad leaving any of these blank!

I feel your pain. We are vulnerable in the since that we want to clearly prove our hard work and experiences, but we fear the judgment of those reading. We don't want to be overly presumptuous by "pushing the envelope", but we don't want an influential experience to be overlooked. What kind of breeding farm where you at? You could probably qualify working ranch horses as Ag experience. I would probably put it under breadth/ depth of animal experience just to be safe though.

Don't worry about not having experience in all areas. From the admissions sessions I attended, they don't expect you to have all of those experiences. They want to see your strengths, so let them shine and rock it! Repro experience is awesome. You could always send them an email to be sure though. :D

Does anyone know when MSU is going to begin sending out invites for interviews?

Never mind, i saw on their site it says invitations for interviews and dates will be sent via e-mail November through February, so the wait continues.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when MSU is going to begin sending out invites for interviews?

Never mind, i saw on their site it says invitations for interviews and dates will be sent via e-mail November through February, so the wait continues.

But but but... I don't wanna wait for November!

Drowning in my tears :drowning:

Haha, the waiting is the worst part of the application process thus far.

Alright guys, I need help on the socio-economic question on the supplemental. I know I have vaguely touched on it in previous posts, but I just got my supplemental and they phrased it with "(personal)" after socio-economic hardships. When I think socioeconomic, I often think about finances and an underprivileged upbringing, but with "personal" stuck in there it makes me think of any hardship experienced during someone's education. It makes me want to write about the illness I was diagnosed with in undergrad since it severely impacted my grades and my disability status as a student. YAY or NAY?
In hind-sight, it has taught me so much about my approach to life and disease. I think it would address the prompt well, but I don't want to be interpreting the question completely wrong.

bah! WHAT TO DO?!:help:

Alright guys, I need help on the socio-economic question on the supplemental. I know I have vaguely touched on it in previous posts, but I just got my supplemental and they phrased it with "(personal)" after socio-economic hardships. When I think socioeconomic, I often think about finances and an underprivileged upbringing, but with "personal" stuck in there it makes me think of any hardship experienced during someone's education. It makes me want to write about the illness I was diagnosed with in undergrad since it severely impacted my grades and my disability status as a student. YAY or NAY?
In hind-sight, it has taught me so much about my approach to life and disease. I think it would address the prompt well, but I don't want to be interpreting the question completely wrong.

Go ahead and use it. It sounds like it was left generic to give everyone some flexibility since while you have have been economically sound, it doesn't mean that it didn't put a ton of extra stress on you and/or your family. I don't believe that it would hurt anything if it's there and they don't like it.

Equus --

I did notice this summary of the essay you're referring to on the Michigan State 'applicant selection' website.
  • "Socio-Economic (Family/Financial/Cultural) challenges or hardships [include events] that you have overcome while obtaining your education and how you overcame these. The primary interest of the CSA is how these challenges or hardships impacted you and will make you a better veterinarian."
So, they don't include Health challenges, but, like Havoc notes, health affects family.

I had the same dilemma and ending up going with a similar approach. I ended up elaborating on something I referred to in my explanation statement on VMCAS and gave them a little more information about how this hardship will impact my ability to be a great veterinarian. I think, like Havoc says above, that this can really only help you, especially if you think that the history or the extenuating circumstance is relevant during your file review. I say, the better picture you give them of you, the better.

Hope this helps! :)

You guys are awesome!
Now the waiting begins...can't wait to start hearing things from people. Best of luck! :luck:

A girl in my class shared her FB memory from last year about getting an interview invite. Hopefully you guys will start hearing back soon!

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone else not yet received a supplemental application? I am 100% positive I meet the SIS score as I did last year and spoke with admissions person who told me my score this summer. So I don't know why I haven't received it.

I actually just got mine yesterday! It might just be taking awhile

Still waiting as well :) Glad to hear Im not the only one!

Waiting too! I have a feeling they're going to dump it on me during a crazy test week.

Has anyone else not yet received a supplemental application? I am 100% positive I meet the SIS score as I did last year and spoke with admissions person who told me my score this summer. So I don't know why I haven't received it.

Don't worry. I know someone that just turned theirs in this past Friday. I wouldn't be too concerned. Plus they would email you and tell you if you weren't going to get one.

I haven't received mine either and I am confident that my SIS score is >790. I emailed them asking about the delay a few weeks ago and they said it may take up to 6 weeks to received the supplemental. They had received all my information on October 6th.

I haven't received mine either and I am confident that my SIS score is >790. I emailed them asking about the delay a few weeks ago and they said it may take up to 6 weeks to received the supplemental. They had received all my information on October 6th.
T
This is SUPER helpful to know - thank you!!

Last time I spoke with them, they said the same thing that Lucky mentioned. A lot of it depends on when they receive your application from VMCAS (and marked as ready) which tends to take a bit since VMCAS has to go over everything for every school. Don't get discouraged yet! Also, if for some reason you don't make it in this year, they'll let you know so you're not sitting around forever waiting (though it probably feels that way already a little.. hooray stress?).

Last time I spoke with them, they said the same thing that Lucky mentioned. A lot of it depends on when they receive your application from VMCAS (and marked as ready) which tends to take a bit since VMCAS has to go over everything for every school. Don't get discouraged yet! Also, if for some reason you don't make it in this year, they'll let you know so you're not sitting around forever waiting (though it probably feels that way already a little.. hooray stress?).

You are absolutely correct - it does feel that way already....in fact not to be a pessimist....but I've compiled approximate decline dates for each school for the sake of closure and moving on. :)

Does anyone know when exactly MSU has traditionally sent out interview notifications? :)

Does anyone know when exactly MSU has traditionally sent out interview notifications? :)
Since it's only the 2nd year of them doing the MMI's its hard to determine when in general they'll come. Last year it was sometime around Thanksgiving (maybe a little sooner, I don't remember :p), so if I have to make a guess, it'll be around that time again.

Last year I got my application in super early and I heard in October about an interview. My interview was the last day of finals week (the first batch) but it was such a mess. It was very clear that they weren't prepared for the number of interviews they chose to have. Most of us didn't hear back whether or not we were accepted until mid-late March. By the time I heard back there was less than a month left to save your spot. It was awful waiting I hope this year is better!

Last year I got my application in super early and I heard in October about an interview. My interview was the last day of finals week (the first batch) but it was such a mess. It was very clear that they weren't prepared for the number of interviews they chose to have. Most of us didn't hear back whether or not we were accepted until mid-late March. By the time I heard back there was less than a month left to save your spot. It was awful waiting I hope this year is better!

Oh man! Yeah hopefully this year will be more structured then... I submitted my VMCAS over a month early and submitted my supplemental 2 months ago so I have just been sitting around waiting and I'm getting anxious :rolleyes:

One thing to remember with this year vs last year is that now they are doing the file review part first, then sending out invitations for interviews (per http://cvm.msu.edu/future-students/dvm), so it'll take them a little longer before they send anything out. From what I've heard from people last year going through MMI's, the first few days were a little rough since they were figuring everything out, but towards the end everything was smooth. I'd assume this year they'll tweak things more to give a better experience for everyone.

Oh man! Yeah hopefully this year will be more structured then... I submitted my VMCAS over a month early and submitted my supplemental 2 months ago so I have just been sitting around waiting and I'm getting anxious :rolleyes:

Ugh me too! Waiting forever.

So apparently they sent out a round of rejections. Heard this from a co-worker who knows a few people who received those today. I believe it was via email.

Reactions: 5 users
So apparently they sent out a round of rejections. Heard this from a co-worker who knows a few people who received those today. I believe it was via email.
Hopefully this means we will be hearing about interviews soon!

This is all speculation, but apparently they are trying to get interview invites started in Dec. I'm just glad I'm still in the game!

The waiting is the hardest part..

Reactions: 2 users