Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your GPA and MCAT scores are high, have you gotten in anywhere else yet?

If you have, I wouldn't worry about MSUCOM. Their loss.

Edit: I'm a nonscience major, they will probably just throw my app in the thrash!

Congrats Wings, and Runaway! I've been rooting for you guys for a long time. Runaway even since last year!

They weren't impressed with my science GPA because I'm a nurse, and they think that it is not accurate. Basically, they don't believe that it is really that high. About non-science majors, they would rather see you take many high-level science courses. I got the question, "who advised you to get your masters degree in history? That is not going to help you get into medical school." I told her that it was one of my passions and that no one advised me but myself, and she scoffed at me. They might like a biology degree plus a non-science degree but a non-science degree doesn't cut it for them.

I haven't made up my mind yet if I really want to do all this again, but if I do, I will need to spend the next year or two taking biology courses to really prove myself. It's all just a game and about money...and egos, lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA and MCAT scores are high, have you gotten in anywhere else yet?

If you have, I wouldn't worry about MSUCOM. Their loss.

Edit: I'm a nonscience major, they will probably just throw my app in the thrash!

If you have five or more upper-level science courses with all 4.0s (not including the mandatory genetics and biochem), you will be fine. I didn't know that they were so serious about the upper level courses although it is on their website (it looked more like a suggestion). They might as well say they are mandatory because they are not looking at people this year who don't have that many like myself. For non-science majors who are reading this and thinking about applying to this school, please save your money until you have a dual degree in biology or do an SMP or post bac. You'll be wasting your money if you apply with just the pre-req and few other biology courses. I hope that people learn from my mistake.

I'm waiting to hear back from LMU today. They were very friendly, and I'd love to go there. If not, I'm undecided about what I want to do at this point. Still feeling bummed about how naïve and hopeful I was about medical school. I truly thought that anything was possible, and I think that I'm more depressed about the reality of life than anything else. I was way too positive and assured of myself over the past several years.

Don't give up hope! Accepted recently... 3.55cGPA, 28mcat, 800hr volunteer, msu undergrad, strong background as an RA and TA. Application completed in November. Go Green!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they send an official acceptance letter in the mail? If so how long before we get the packet? I forgot what she said when they called...I was too excited

Does anyone know if they send an official acceptance letter in the mail? If so how long before we get the packet? I forgot what she said when they called...I was too excited
They do send one. It comes about a week or so later.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so if it's not I apologize.

I've been accepted to (and payed deposits at) both LECOM and MSU-COM. My issue is that I'm really torn on what school I like more. I think one thing that really hurt the way I feel about MSU-COM is the lack of an interview day. I do have my tour on Feb 28 so I have been waiting until then to make my decision, but I was hoping some other people could offer some input. I really like the problem based learning (PBL) at LECOM. I think it sounds amazing and is one of the big reasons I like LECOM. I have also heard nothing, but good things about LECOM. Similarly I have heard a lot of really good things about MSU-COM and that it is one of the best DO schools there is. I love MSU and have been a Spartan my whole life.

I guess my question is can anyone help me shed some light on my decision between MSU-COM and LECOM.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

(Incase anyone is interested Undergraduate GPA 3.0 Graduate GPA 3.56 MCAT 33)

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, so if it's not I apologize.

I've been accepted to (and payed deposits at) both LECOM and MSU-COM. My issue is that I'm really torn on what school I like more. I think one thing that really hurt the way I feel about MSU-COM is the lack of an interview day. I do have my tour on Feb 28 so I have been waiting until then to make my decision, but I was hoping some other people could offer some input. I really like the problem based learning (PBL) at LECOM. I think it sounds amazing and is one of the big reasons I like LECOM. I have also heard nothing, but good things about LECOM. Similarly I have heard a lot of really good things about MSU-COM and that it is one of the best DO schools there is. I love MSU and have been a Spartan my whole life.

I guess my question is can anyone help me shed some light on my decision between MSU-COM and LECOM.

I may be bias but I say if you're IS, I would go MSU all the way!! But if you're OOS, personally I would pick LECOM for sure because of tuition. Either way both good schools.

Yes I am IS.

You can go visit the school if you whenever you want I believe if you contact the admissions office, if you feel like making a decision sooner than later. I visited DMC and absolutely loved the school. Awesome feel to the school in general, great resources and connections to over 20 hospitals. Plus its a Big Ten school ;) lol

MSUCOM is one of two DO schools I applied to, and the only one I would now attend. I'm not trying to be snobby :whistle:, but... hopefully that just goes to show how highly I regard MSUCOM. Plus, the in-state tuition is practically affordable :greedy:!

That's interesting to hear your opinion about the lack of a conventional interview. I appreciated a quick response from MSUCOM and that early acceptance might be the thing that pushes me to be a part of the class over a last-minute MD acceptance (that wouldn't require me to move across the country like matriculation at MSUCOM would)... it makes me feel like the fit was there and that it would make my medical school experience all that much better -- I feel like MSU is somewhere where I will fit in well and flourish. Hopefully you enjoy your visit day and get the same feeling... or find that LECOM is really the place for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I think location is extremely important in making a decision. Would you rather live in Erie, PA or Lansing, MI (or Detroit or Macomb depending on your site placement)? I did hear that at LECOM you must dress in business casual attire every day. Not sure if that helps you lean either way.. Haha. Is it true Erie gets much more snow than Lansing, too? I would also think about how far you'd like to be from family. Also, where will you be spending years 3 and 4 for your clerkship if you go to LECOM? If you go to MSUCOM you can do all of your clinical rotations in MI.

I think location is extremely important in making a decision. Would you rather live in Erie, PA or Lansing, MI (or Detroit or Macomb depending on your site placement)? I did hear that at LECOM you must dress in business casual attire every day. Not sure if that helps you lean either way.. Haha. Is it true Erie gets much more snow than Lansing, too? I would also think about how far you'd like to be from family. Also, where will you be spending years 3 and 4 for your clerkship if you go to LECOM? If you go to MSUCOM you can do all of your clinical rotations in MI.

As far as rotations thats not an issue. LECOM has plenty of places in Michigan. Everyone's giving me good things to think about and I'd love to hear anyone else's opinions.

P.S. Yes Erie gets crazy amounts of snow, but I cant imagine its worse than MI this year lol.
MSUCOM is one of two DO schools I applied to, and the only one I would now attend. I'm not trying to be snobby :whistle:, but... hopefully that just goes to show how highly I regard MSUCOM. Plus, the in-state tuition is practically affordable :greedy:!

That's interesting to hear your opinion about the lack of a conventional interview. I appreciated a quick response from MSUCOM and that early acceptance might be the thing that pushes me to be a part of the class over a last-minute MD acceptance (that wouldn't require me to move across the country like matriculation at MSUCOM would)... it makes me feel like the fit was there and that it would make my medical school experience all that much better -- I feel like MSU is somewhere where I will fit in well and flourish. Hopefully you enjoy your visit day and get the same feeling... or find that LECOM is really the place for you!

Have you done your visit day at MSUCOM yet? JW

As far as rotations thats not an issue. LECOM has plenty of places in Michigan. Everyone's giving me good things to think about and I'd love to hear anyone else's opinions.

I think one of the biggest reasons I chose MSUCOM is their state-wide hospital affiliations. Rotations are an important thing to consider, but at my visit day, the dean said that ~60% of all AOA residencies are in Michigan. Even if you aren't considering the AOA match, I think rotating at hospitals where you have the opportunity to apply for residencies is a huge deal. I didn't apply to LECOM so I don't know much about their prestige, but I can tell you that MSUCOM's is second to none in the DO world. I know many individuals that chose MSUCOM over acceptances to Wayne, MSUCHM, and Oakland.

Reactions: 1 users
My decision was a no-brainer honestly. I was accepted at LECOM-B which is all PBL and MSUCOM. the second i heard from MSUCOM i dropped my spot at lecom. if you went to MSU for undergrad (im also an msu alum), PBL is gonna be a HUGE shock and have a pretty significant learning curve but some people swear by it so...to each their own. the concept is cool.
an added plus...if you choose east lansing....it's like moving back home! atleast thats how i feel :)

P.S. Yes Erie gets crazy amounts of snow, but I cant imagine its worse than MI this year lol.

Have you done your visit day at MSUCOM yet? JW
Yes, I did my visit day a few months ago. I'm happy to answer any questions about it if you have them!

As an out of state student just couldn't justify the extra 30-40k+ a year in additional tuition. But for in-state people, I would easily choose this program.

Congrats Wings, and Runaway! I've been rooting for you guys for a long time. Runaway even since last year!

They weren't impressed with my science GPA because I'm a nurse, and they think that it is not accurate. Basically, they don't believe that it is really that high. About non-science majors, they would rather see you take many high-level science courses. I got the question, "who advised you to get your masters degree in history? That is not going to help you get into medical school." I told her that it was one of my passions and that no one advised me but myself, and she scoffed at me. They might like a biology degree plus a non-science degree but a non-science degree doesn't cut it for them.

I haven't made up my mind yet if I really want to do all this again, but if I do, I will need to spend the next year or two taking biology courses to really prove myself. It's all just a game and about money...and egos, lol.

Thanks so much StudyShy, that means a lot and I have been rooting for you as well.

And I hate to disagree or provide evidence to the contrary, but I am in fact a non-science degree major. I majored in psychology (ONLY psychology) and while I suppose that is a nearly relevant field, it is still not a hard-science major (also you could not major in premed at my undergrad, it did not exist). However, I did complete all of the pre-med prereqs that our undergrad med school hopefuls completed and I did hear that perhaps the nursing science courses are somewhat easier/different than the pre-med science courses at our school, but that doesn't seem like that should make a huge difference or anything. ESPECIALLY if you have the clinical experience to back it up.... That is very strange to hear because that hasn't been my experience with MSUCOM at all and I've seen similar situations posted here as well about how they readily accept well-rounded and clinically experienced applicants over just impressive numbers.

I would say that if you have a good job, a wonderful family to back you up and if medicine is truly your dream, you can't lose by reapplying, if you even have to. Or pursuing a nurse practitioner degree in the meantime? I've had 2 ob-GYNs who were nurse practitioners, they were awesome and if you have a nursing degree, that should absolutely be an option. It bothered me when people would suggest that I give up on medicine and look at other routes, but if nurse practitioner was an option for me I definitely would have tried it, especially if I wasn't satisfied with how I was being treated in the med school app process. But I'm not a BSN so it really wasn't an option for me. And anyway, I can't imagine that you wouldn't make the wait list AT LEAST and that thing sees movement all the way until May. Never give up on your dream if it really is your dream.

Thanks so much StudyShy, that means a lot and I have been rooting for you as well.

And I hate to disagree or provide evidence to the contrary, but I am in fact a non-science degree major. I majored in psychology (ONLY psychology) and while I suppose that is a nearly relevant field, it is still not a hard-science major (also you could not major in premed at my undergrad, it did not exist). However, I did complete all of the pre-med prereqs that our undergrad med school hopefuls completed and I did hear that perhaps the nursing science courses are somewhat easier/different than the pre-med science courses at our school, but that doesn't seem like that should make a huge difference or anything. ESPECIALLY if you have the clinical experience to back it up.... That is very strange to hear because that hasn't been my experience with MSUCOM at all and I've seen similar situations posted here as well about how they readily accept well-rounded and clinically experienced applicants over just impressive numbers.

I would say that if you have a good job, a wonderful family to back you up and if medicine is truly your dream, you can't lose by reapplying, if you even have to. Or pursuing a nurse practitioner degree in the meantime? I've had 2 ob-GYNs who were nurse practitioners, they were awesome and if you have a nursing degree, that should absolutely be an option. It bothered me when people would suggest that I give up on medicine and look at other routes, but if nurse practitioner was an option for me I definitely would have tried it, especially if I wasn't satisfied with how I was being treated in the med school app process. But I'm not a BSN so it really wasn't an option for me. And anyway, I can't imagine that you wouldn't make the wait list AT LEAST and that thing sees movement all the way until May. Never give up on your dream if it really is your dream.

Didn't you take their advice and take another zillion courses? That's what I would have to do if I wanted in at MSU.

Maybe I'm just the n=1, but I was pretty much told that I wasn't competitive for MSU because of my choices in what I have studied unless I take more science courses over the next year or do a post bac. Psychology is a little bit closer to biology than nursing and history so I can see why they would go for that, and psychology is more of a typical pre-med major. The well-rounded thing is a bunch of crap for this school. The game has changed. The higher GPA and MCAT the better. Maybe in the past being well-rounded was desired, but not now at least not for my app. I'm happy for all non-science majors who got into MSU this year who didn't have to have more than 5 upper-level science courses before applying. Good for you guys. Maybe there was some other reason why I am not going to be accepted to MSU, but this is the reason I was given by the admissions staff.

Overall, the phone advising was such a turn off that I have no desire to attend this school, and this was my top choice for the last several years. If I want to be treated like pond scum for the next four years, I'm sure that I can find some abusive boyfriend or something that would be cheaper. But, I'm glad that they like all of you guys and you guys like the school because that is what counts. I want to go where I will be valued which is certainly not MSU. I also do not want to go to a school that is so blatantly hostile about other professions. It works out for all involved, and in the end, I'm happy that I got to discover that I am not a good fit for the school before I got there.

Didn't you take their advice and take another zillion courses? That's what I would have to do if I wanted in at MSU.

Maybe I'm just the n=1, but I was pretty much told that I wasn't competitive for MSU because of my choices in what I have studied unless I take more science courses over the next year or do a post bac. Psychology is a little bit closer to biology than nursing and history so I can see why they would go for that, and psychology is more of a typical pre-med major. The well-rounded thing is a bunch of crap for this school. The game has changed. The higher GPA and MCAT the better. Maybe in the past being well-rounded was desired, but not now at least not for my app. I'm happy for all non-science majors who got into MSU this year who didn't have to have more than 5 upper-level science courses before applying. Good for you guys. Maybe there was some other reason why I am not going to be accepted to MSU, but this is the reason I was given by the admissions staff.

Overall, the phone advising was such a turn off that I have no desire to attend this school, and this was my top choice for the last several years. If I want to be treated like pond scum for the next four years, I'm sure that I can find some abusive boyfriend or something that would be cheaper. But, I'm glad that they like all of you guys and you guys like the school because that is what counts. I want to go where I will be valued which is certainly not MSU. I also do not want to go to a school that is so blatantly hostile about other professions. It works out for all involved, and in the end, I'm happy that I got to discover that I am not a good fit for the school before I got there.

Yeah, I took 5 more upper level science courses, but only to improve my science gpa, not because I didn't have enough upper level science courses. My sci gpa was nowhere near competitive, so I thought it was very fair advice. I struggled a lot my freshman year of college, then found my stride in the years after but was still greatly hindered by the underachievement of that first year so it was a way to make up for it and show that I'm definitely better than that. It was at least more of a second chance than I ever got from any other schools who looked at the consequences of those early struggles and said, "nope. sucks to suckkkk". So I appreciated it more than anything.

However, I can also appreciate your own struggles and am truly, utterly sorry you've had such a poor experience. This process is mind-numbingly, soul-crushingly brutal as it is. I hope your other options pan out way better.

Yeah, I took 5 more upper level science courses, but only to improve my science gpa, not because I didn't have enough upper level science courses. My sci gpa was nowhere near competitive, so I thought it was very fair advice. I struggled a lot my freshman year of college, then found my stride in the years after but was still greatly hindered by the underachievement of that first year so it was a way to make up for it and show that I'm definitely better than that. It was at least more of a second chance than I ever got from any other schools who looked at the consequences of those early struggles and said, "nope. sucks to suckkkk". So I appreciated it more than anything.

However, I can also appreciate your own struggles and am truly, utterly sorry you've had such a poor experience. This process is mind-numbingly, soul-crushingly brutal as it is. I hope your other options pan out way better.

You had what they were looking for then since you took those classes. The thought of spending thousands of more dollars and taking another year's worth of classes was too daunting for me when I want to try to save money when there was no guarantee of them admitting me even if I did do a post bac. It's good that you were able to prove yourself. You've got some darn good perseverance!

Since my appointment it looks likes like things are working out for me, and I'll be going to LMU next year. Visiting LMU was the opposite experience of what MSU was like. It was good to see the comparison both schools treat people and makes my decision to leave Michigan a good one for us. I was specifically accepted there because of my nursing and history degrees and for my life experiences with the challenges that I have had with my oldest son and being a patient....oh and because I like photography, lol. It was a relief to have a school appreciate my background and not turn their nose up at it. During the interview, I decided that I was going to completely be myself. If they didn't like me for me, then I didn't want to go there. I left LMU feeling like I was part of their family. I e-mailed pictures of my children to one of my interviewers who had happened to be a respiratory therapist for ten years before she went into medicine and was a single parent to three children during medical school, and her reply was so warm and heartfelt. At MSU I felt like I should go hang myself with the telephone cord, and I don't think that I could have mentioned to them that I have children. Ultimately, both schools are looking for something different. I found my forever school after one too many crushes and dates, lol.

Reactions: 4 users

At my visit day at MSUCOM EL site, they sold me on the school. Especially as stated above we own ~60% of the AOA residencies, therefore they said the 1st match rate is around 98%. That is pretty amazing. Also, especially since you are an IS and went here for undergrad. Moving and getting used to another place is a pretty big thing you'd have to consider. When you tour, you will see, as I did, how great the staff, dean, and med students are. Everyone is happy to help, and it just felt like they cared. The med school building itself isn't all that nice, since it's an old dorm, but you will be studying most of the time anyway. What you need to put most into consideration is where you will eventually spend your 3rd and 4th year, and that is the many hospitals all over.

Good luck to you, with whatever you choose, maybe we will see you this summer!

At my visit day at MSUCOM EL site, they sold me on the school. Especially as stated above we own ~60% of the AOA residencies, therefore they said the 1st match rate is around 98%. That is pretty amazing. Also, especially since you are an IS and went here for undergrad. Moving and getting used to another place is a pretty big thing you'd have to consider. When you tour, you will see, as I did, how great the staff, dean, and med students are. Everyone is happy to help, and it just felt like they cared. The med school building itself isn't all that nice, since it's an old dorm, but you will be studying most of the time anyway. What you need to put most into consideration is where you will eventually spend your 3rd and 4th year, and that is the many hospitals all over.

Good luck to you, with whatever you choose, maybe we will see you this summer!
Yeah, the only thing I disliked from my visit day is that classes in the not-too-distant future will have new facilities (so I'm a bit jealous)! It sounds like they're in the planning stages of a new building -- or at least that's what the dean hinted at. However, maybe it'll become even more competitive with state-of-the-art facilities...

But really, a lecture hall is a lecture hall... no matter if it has wood paneling, fancy lighting, or... not.

Last edited:
Is there anyone following this thread that was place on the alternative list during last years cycle that is a re-applicant and/or was accepted this year (or last cycle)?

If so, could you PM me? I have some questions I'd like to ask, please and thank you :)

Boo. :( I'm sorry to hear that. I was rooting for you! Hopefully they pull you off it soon.

Thanks! I actually spoke with an adviser on Monday, and she said i'm in this 'large group of applicants' that they just can't say anything about bc we're all just below the numbers of the applicants and that its really competitive this year. I got into another school, and its out of state. I have NUMEROUS reasons for staying in state, but the most important one being that MSUCOM is the school where I want to be, and I want to practice in MI. Guess there's nothing I can do at this point...

I have submitted my application on September, but haven't heard anything yet. Anyone on the same boat with me?

Hey, does anyone know details about the anatomy syllabus/class schedule? I'm trying to figure out whether I'll have to quit my job or not by June or whether I can keep working until September

Hey, does anyone know details about the anatomy syllabus/class schedule? I'm trying to figure out whether I'll have to quit my job or not by June or whether I can keep working until September
My friends that are currently students told me I was crazy even for working up until the week of orientation. They would not recommend working even during the first summer. Keep in mind we will need to do a lot of adjusting, so May 30th might be a good last day at your job.

My friends that are currently students told me I was crazy even for working up until the week of orientation. They would not recommend working even during the first summer. Keep in mind we will need to do a lot of adjusting, so May 30th might be a good last day at your job.
Haha, I'm leaving my job in mid-May to get a full month of (theoretical) downtime.

However, I do also have to move from Boston... and do fingerprinting (it can apparently only be done in MI)... and find a doctor... and get my shots... and find a place to live... and finish a biochem class... and move to EL.

In other words, not so much of the month-long vacation I expected :laugh:.

She said that my work wouldn't impress the admissions committee. Maybe I was being sensitive after hearing that all my accomplishments over the years aren't adequate and are looked down upon. She said that my science courses weren't rigorous enough, but that's not true since I had the same sciences courses as the other premeds. They were not nursing science classes like I think that she is assuming. And I got either the best grade in the class or one of the best in every single premedical requirement. She did not say anything complimentary about my application.

As far as nursing work experience, I really do think that doing anything else would have been more beneficial in terms of what med schools desire. Nursing isn't respected at all from what I have gathered from this advising appointment.

I was just planning on retaking the MCAT and getting a 30+ if I did decide to try again, but now I would have to retake the MCAT AND do an SMP/post bac program. My science GPA will be about a 3.9 if I get an A in biochem this semester. Basically, I have to prove that my GPA isn't inflated because I'm a nurse, yet I didn't take any nursing science courses except for anatomy and physiology. ALL my other science courses were for science majors.

Feeling bummed, lol.
Yikes...I'm sorry this has been your experience with whomever you spoke with--It's pretty surprising to be honest. I actually know a number of people over the last several classes who were RNs/EMTs/other relevant healthcare providers to varying degrees and have a lot of respect among colleagues.

Haha, I'm leaving my job in mid-May to get a full month of (theoretical) downtime.

However, I do also have to move from Boston... and do fingerprinting (it can apparently only be done in MI)... and find a doctor... and get my shots... and find a place to live... and finish a biochem class... and move to EL.

In other words, not so much of the month-long vacation I expected :laugh:.

Remember for hepatitis B it is usually given as 3-4 shots over a 6-month period. So it should be started early if you don't have it done.

I am currently deciding between MSU COM and CMED. Anyone else struggling with this decision? Open to input in general. Hoping to get some clarity soon.

I am currently deciding between MSU COM and CMED. Anyone else struggling with this decision? Open to input in general. Hoping to get some clarity soon.

Unless MD is a life and death to you, Go COM.

MSUCOM has a 40+ year history, huge alumni network, great reputation in MI and the Great Lakes Region, as well as Nation wide recognition. Rotation sites are of high quality and widely vary in setting. The school is associated with the most DO residencies of just about any in the community. MSUCOM, imho, is a known and high quality medical program (taking into consideration all MD and DO schools)

CMED certainly has potential, but I would prefer to stay away from the growing pains inherent to a start-up program.

To add: look at the curriculum structure as well. CMED seems to be heavy into "small group" learning.

I will take Tried and True vs Shiny and New

Last edited:
Ok I just called the enrollment registrar and she said they mailed out the packets yesterday so everyone should receive enrollment info like your MSU NetID, portal and email info tomorrow or this week

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Ok I just called the enrollment registrar and she said they mailed out the packets yesterday so everyone should receive enrollment info like your MSU NetID, portal and email info tomorrow or this week

Got it today :). All this is still surreal!

Yes, I did my visit day a few months ago. I'm happy to answer any questions about it if you have them!

What is the dress code for the Visit day? I've been looking, but i cant find it anywhere. Do i wear a suit like for an interview, or is it less dressy?

What is the dress code for the Visit day? I've been looking, but i cant find it anywhere. Do i wear a suit like for an interview, or is it less dressy?
Good question.

There was certainly a wide range represented at my visit day... all the way from jeans & t-shirt up to suits. However, if you don't want to stand out in a bad way, I would recommend a shirt & tie or suit. Medicine is a conservative and professional field... and this is as close to an interview as most of us will get at MSU-COM. Just because we're already accepted doesn't mean that we don't still need to look professional when meeting professors/deans/other students for the first time. That's just my personal opinion, though! :)

P.S. -- arrive a few minutes early so that you can grab a fancy MSUCOM pen. We ran out during my day.

P.P.S. -- if you're driving, make sure you read their parking directions carefully. There's only one lot you're allowed to park in, and it's not too easy to find!

Last edited:
Good question.

There was certainly a wide range represented at my visit day... all the way from jeans & t-shirt up to suits. However, if you don't want to stand out in a bad way, I would recommend a shirt & tie or suit. Medicine is a conservative and professional field... and this is as close to an interview as most of us will get at MSU-COM. Just because we're already accepted doesn't mean that we don't still need to look professional when meeting professors/deans/other students for the first time. That's just my personal opinion, though! :)

P.S. -- arrive a few minutes early so that you can grab a fancy MSUCOM pen. We ran out during my day.

P.P.S. -- if you're driving, make sure you read their parking directions carefully. There's only one lot you're allowed to park in, and it's not too easy to find!

Ok thanks, I will definitely wear a suit. Where do you see parking directions? I have received very little info on the visit day except for the date and time.

Ok thanks, I will definitely wear a suit. Where do you see parking directions? I have received very little info on the visit day except for the date and time.
Ha -- there's a document attached to the original acceptance e-mail (subject: MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine: Welcome to MSUCOM!) that is called "MSUCOM Visit Day and Directions". I didn't realize there were any directions until I showed up at the front door... in a blizzard... and saw they were shocked I didn't know their "visitor parking" spots were not open for our use. So I had to run back to my car, drive to a different lot, and run back through the snow in leather-sole shoes. Suffice it to say, I don't recommend making the same mistakes I did. :p

The lot is off Service road. Once you turn onto Service rd from Hagadorn turn left into the first lot and take a ticket (parking is not free). You can then walk through the parking lot across the road just North of there and cross the train tracks to get to East Fee Hall! Enter the first door you see as it will probably be freezing out and the first floor is basically one long hall so you shouldn't get lost. The lot is the same one for the MSU clinical center, if that helps. I believe it's called Lot 100?

Ha -- there's a document attached to the original acceptance e-mail (subject: MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine: Welcome to MSUCOM!) that is called "MSUCOM Visit Day and Directions". I didn't realize there were any directions until I showed up at the front door... in a blizzard... and saw they were shocked I didn't know their "visitor parking" spots were not open for our use. So I had to run back to my car, drive to a different lot, and run back through the snow in leather-sole shoes. Suffice it to say, I don't recommend making the same mistakes I did. :p

Do you happen to know if there were any ppl on the WL at your visit day, or are there two separate days for those accepted and those on the WL?

I was waitlisted on 2/13 and I'm going to the EL tour tomorrow, but they didn't attach a doc to my WL email so I don't really know much info about it other than the date/time. So I'm hoping it's just one combined visit day and that the info you gave applies to me as well!

Do you happen to know if there were any ppl on the WL at your visit day, or are there two separate days for those accepted and those on the WL?

I was waitlisted on 2/13 and I'm going to the EL tour tomorrow, but they didn't attach a doc to my WL email so I don't really know much info about it other than the date/time. So I'm hoping it's just one combined visit day and that the info you gave applies to me as well!
Yes -- I believe the visit day is the same for waitlisted and accepted students. I recall there being a number of people present from the waitlist (and also prospective students for future application cycles).

I hope you enjoy the interview day. Best of luck getting off of that waitlist! I'll send you the information via PM.

I am wait listed and I visited EL in January and Macomb in December.