Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They do have a minium requirement for the supplement application:
20 MCAT (6/6/8) and 2.75 science gpa everyone that meets that will get a secondary.
Forgive me for my noobness, but what sections do each of the (6/6/8) refer too?

Members don't see this ad.

Forgive me for my noobness, but what sections do each of the (6/6/8) refer too?

Oh sorry, I remember when I started using the forum I didn't know which sections were referring to what lol. So it goes P/V/B in the order you would take them on the actual MCAT

I am trying to figure out if I should put MSUCOM on my list of schools. 3.88 cGPA, 3.97 sGPA and a low MCAT 24 ( 6P, 10V, 8B) nontraditional WI resident if that matters. Before you tell me to retake the MCAT, I have some extenuating circumstances involving family and hospice. Retaking just isn't an option right, I just want to know if I can apply to MSUCOM as is. Please advise.

I think you have a shot if you can explaim your situation well in your essays (work it in somehow) and if your ECs amd volunteer hours are also a little above avg. Your gpa is awesome so I say good for it and apply early!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a shot if you can explaim your situation well in your essays (work it in somehow) and if your ECs amd volunteer hours are also a little above avg. Your gpa is awesome so I say good for it and apply early!

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Hopefully my MCAT gets me into here. I've talked with admissions multiple times, 9 more days...

The campus sites are awesome btw

They don't screen for secondaries, everyone who applied last year got one.

Also, that link with the secondaries is wrong. Last year, they were...

Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you. (500 words)

What is your approach to leadership and how do you plan to utilize this approach throughout medical school? (250 words)

What do you believe, as a medical student, would be the three most important characteristics of professionalism? (250 words)

Good luck everyone! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Have a shot, they weigh ECs strongly too, and your high GPA helps offset the lower mcat. It is worth the 35$.

Have a shot, they weigh ECs strongly too, and your high GPA helps offset the lower mcat. It is worth the 35$.

I don't think that they cared about ECs during this last cycle, though I feel like they did in the past. Some people who were waitlisted and didn't get a spot this year had 20,000-35,000 clinical hours and 3-5,000 volunteer hours. It's all about the high MCAT and GPA. Not worth the 135. Trying to save this person the grief that some of us have experienced this year thinking that they actually care about volunteerism and well-roundedness. They like cookie cutter pre-meds who don't stray off the biology beaten path. They also view GPA differently depending on the university that you graduated from so a 4.0 is different to them from school to school.

I don't think that they cared about ECs during this last cycle, though I feel like they did in the past. Some people who were waitlisted and didn't get a spot this year had 20,000-35,000 clinical hours and 3-5,000 volunteer hours. It's all about the high MCAT and GPA. Not worth the 135. Trying to save this person the grief that some of us have experienced this year thinking that they actually care about volunteerism and well-roundedness. They like cookie cutter pre-meds who don't stray off the biology beaten path. They also view GPA differently depending on the university that you graduated from so a 4.0 is different to them from school to school.

Sorry you had a tough cycle with them, but discouraging someone with a high GPA, below average mcat, and perhaps strong ECS from applying - is doing them a disservice. I know a handful of people with much lower gpa and only slightly higher mcat who got into MSU.

Also, not to be rude, but while your work experience as a nurse is great, your ECs are pretty lacklustre and many are outdated.. based on a brief look of your MDApps.

The truth is that it is a random process at times, and just because you had a bad experience with a certain application, doesn't mean that the other person will too.

They have a near perfect GPA, that should compensate a little for the lower MCAT. Extenuating circumstances may help too.

I hope this is my year! Third time's a charm, right? :)

This will be #3 for me as well! I'm planning on solely applying here this year since I did about 18 applications last year and MSUCOM was the only one that gave me love.

Sorry you had a tough cycle with them, but discouraging someone with a high GPA, below average mcat, and perhaps strong ECS from applying - is doing them a disservice. I know a handful of people with much lower gpa and only slightly higher mcat who got into MSU.

Also, not to be rude, but while your work experience as a nurse is great, your ECs are pretty lacklustre and many are outdated.. based on a brief look of your MDApps.

The truth is that it is a random process at times, and just because you had a bad experience with a certain application, doesn't mean that the other person will too.

They have a near perfect GPA, that should compensate a little for the lower MCAT. Extenuating circumstances may help too.

That must be why I was rejected. You're right this person should a apply. I'm just upset that I have worked hard for the last decade and have gotten nowhere. MDApps has been update in a couple of years probably, though. Good luck to all. :)

Last edited:
I was wondering if you guys could tell me what you think my chances are:

-instate
-28 MCAT
-3.15 science gpa
-3.25 non science
3.25 cummulative
-Extreme upward trend
-Over 2000 volunteer
-Shadowed MD and DO
-4 years research
-worked full-time all throughout college
-in the midst of a 20 credit, upper science, postbac (so far a 3.6, though I am hoping on going higher)
-Re-applicant and met with a Lansing advisor

Thank you! This is my school of choice and I just want some non-biased, objective opinions.

-instate
-28 MCAT
-3.15 science gpa
-3.25 non science
3.25 cummulative
-Extreme upward trend
-Over 2000 volunteer
-Shadowed MD and DO
-4 years research
-in the midst of a 20 credit, upper science, postbac (so far a 3.6, though I am hoping on going higher)

Thank you! This is my school of choice and I just want some non-biased, objective opinions.

With the post-bac you should be fine. What will be your new sGPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
it will be a 3.23 at the end of the fall semester.

I'm applying tomorrow at noon, hoping that being an early bird helps me.
You've got a chance, but it would help if your MCAT were a bit higher to be more in line with your post-bacc GPA. No harm in applying, though :)

Do you mind if I ask what the advisor had to say?

Last edited:

I'll just take a minute to stand up for StudyShy and say that being a nurse is perhaps the best possible credential to have in order to know what it takes to be a doctor. She was a bit conservative on her opinion, but I think you were overly critical of her considering her experience, extensive knowledge, and record of other acceptances in the past.

I would be proud to be classmates of you both, and I hope we can all keep our opinons as objective as possible! We all have different experiences, and I hope the admissions office can eventually see the value in all our persistence and dedication. :)

Reactions: 1 user
You've got a chance, but it would help if your MCAT were a bit higher to be more in line with your post-bacc GPA. No harm in applying, though :)

Do you mind if I ask what the advisor had to say?
Not at all! The advisor told me that my MCAT was not an issue and that I should take 20 credits in higher level (3000+) bio classes and then I should have a good shot, so long as I maintain a 3.5 post-bac. She then said to update my application at the end of each semester (summer + fall). Finally, she said I may be put on a "hold for grades" so the committee can review my fall grades.

Not at all! The advisor told me that my MCAT was not an issue and that I should take 20 credits in higher level (3000+) bio classes and then I should have a good shot, so long as I maintain a 3.5 post-bac. She then said to update my application at the end of each semester (summer + fall). Finally, she said I may be put on a "hold for grades" so the committee can review my fall grades.

Also, I took my MCAT last year without taking any upper level bio classes. Now that I have taken multiple classes I am thinking (keyword just thinking) that I may retake my MCAT in September and only use it to update my application if I receive a 30+. If I don't receive a higher score, I won't report it.

Are you allowed to do that, considering my application will already be processed?

I just really want to improve my chances so I can be apart of the August 2015 class.

You have to request your scores sent to AACOMAS, so you could do it. You definitely want to update your GPA, ASAP, cause it takes time for them to verify. Also, MSUCOM starts in June.

You have to request your scores sent to AACOMAS, so you could do it. You definitely want to update your GPA, ASAP, cause it takes time for them to verify. Also, MSUCOM starts in June.
Thank you for the update. I should also add that the advisors at MSUCOM are top-notch. I truly believe that they care in the success of the applicants and would highly suggest that everyone take the time to make an appointment with them. It is also convenient because they offer over the phone counseling.

Good luck to everyone applying!

That's great you got advice straight from them. I'm personally of the opinion that all candidates with a lower GPA should have a 30+ for safety --though I know this isn't party line for DO applicants, and more of my personal opinion (at least for MSU) than a truism.

I also echo that the leadership is top notch, so nobody should be afraid to reach out to them with any questions.

That's great you got advice straight from them. I'm personally of the opinion that all candidates with a lower GPA should have a 30+ for safety --though I know this isn't party line for DO applicants, and more of my personal opinion (at least for MSU) than a truism.

I also echo that the leadership is top notch, so nobody should be afraid to reach out to them with any questions.

I agree, but I believe it is a little inconvenient when the next available spot for advising is always 4-6 weeks later.

I'll just take a minute to stand up for StudyShy and say that being a nurse is perhaps the best possible credential to have in order to know what it takes to be a doctor. She was a bit conservative on her opinion, but I think you were overly critical of her considering her experience, extensive knowledge, and record of other acceptances in the past.

I would be proud to be classmates of you both, and I hope we can all keep our opinons as objective as possible! We all have different experiences, and I hope the admissions office can eventually see the value in all our persistence and dedication. :)

Western was correct in that I was being very critical of the applicant but nothing that Lorie from admissions wouldn't tell her. Too bad that it does take so long to make appointments for advising because that would be the best way to get a realistic gauge of where one stands in their eyes. And Western is right, just because I didn't get in doesn't mean that this person will not.

I think that the applicant will get accepted at a lot of schools but will have difficulty being an OOSer with the lower MCAT (even with hospice-type circumstances involved) at MSU. However, I also see miracles happen so maybe if this person believes enough and is a match for this school then the person should go for it. Either way, it will be a learning experience.

Anyway for ECs, I have slacked since I had my fourth baby and dropped down to two volunteer activities. I don't care if they are lackluster because I enjoy doing them. I feel like it is more important right now for me to teach my children reading, math, and other things. I think that my favorite EC in the last couple of years has been being a doula (birth attendant) for a friend. She ended up naming her baby after me. It's cool watching that baby grow and know that I took part in the journey of her life. And Lorie did say that she wasn't impressed by anything that I have done so Western is correct about this also so it wasn't news to me.

-instate
-28 MCAT
-3.15 science gpa
-3.25 non science
3.25 cummulative
-Extreme upward trend
-Over 2000 volunteer
-Shadowed MD and DO
-4 years research

From what I have seen happen over the last several years for MSUCOM, I think that you'll get in if you maintain the 3.6+ in your courses. You should talk to Runawaycar. This person would be a great resource for you. Where are you doing your course work at just out of curiosity?

I was told to either do a post bac or take many upper-level courses to prove that my GPA isn't inflated so I am doing the same thing as your are.

Thank you for the update. I should also add that the advisors at MSUCOM are top-notch. I truly believe that they care in the success of the applicants and would highly suggest that everyone take the time to make an appointment with them. It is also convenient because they offer over the phone counseling.

Good luck to everyone applying!
I know that I really got a good feeling from the Dean and from Katie when I went to visit day. They seemed like really nice people.

I know that I really got a good feeling from the Dean and from Katie when I went to visit day. They seemed like really nice people.
Sadly, this does not guarantee acceptance.

Sadly, this does not guarantee acceptance.

Yeah, I mean you have to fit their mission and have the right kind of stats they are looking for. It's a sad shame. :)

Yeah, I mean you have to fit their mission and have the right kind of stats they are looking for. It's a sad shame. :)

Hey StudyShy, since it seems like you've applied to various schools before, I was wondering if you could tell me if the secondaries for MSUCOM (and any other schools) have a strict deadline from the day you first received it (i.e. 30 days or something). I've asked a few people but I haven't gotten a straight answer.

Hey guys! You think it's worth a shot? OOS CA Resident, UCSD, 3.7 GPA, 26 MCAT (12 BS, 8 PS, 6 VR), 6000 hrs musician, 90 hours ER volunteer, Worked the whole way through college at Sbux then a IBD basic science research (Honors Thesis as well). Currently heading the start up of the first IBD support groups at my school and hometown through the Crohns and Colitis Foundation for America.

Hey StudyShy, since it seems like you've applied to various schools before, I was wondering if you could tell me if the secondaries for MSUCOM (and any other schools) have a strict deadline from the day you first received it (i.e. 30 days or something). I've asked a few people but I haven't gotten a straight answer.

This is the email I got last year from MSCUCOM regarding secondaries. Im assuming the deadline is ONE month bc the date I received the email was 10/24 and the deadline states is ONE month after. Hope this helps.

Dear - ,

The Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine invites you to complete our supplemental application. You can access the application and instructions at https://admissions.com.msu.edu.

For security purposes, you will need to log in using your AACOMAS ID. Please remove the dash, but include 2014. Also, do not cut & paste the information as the system is case senstive.

Temporary password:-

Your application submission deadline is 11/24/2013.

PLEASE NOTE: This is the first year all candidates applying to the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine will receive a supplemental application. The receipt of a supplemental application does not assume competitiveness or guarantee admission. We expect each applicant to review information found on our websitehttp://www.com.msu.edu/Admissions/Applying/Profile_for_Success.ht to determine his/her desire to enter the applicant pool.

Please be aware that accreditation standards stipulate that all requirements must be successfully completed prior to entry into the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. It is each applicant’s responsibility to verify the details of those requirements, which are listed on the MSUCOM website at http://www.com.msu.edu/Admissions/Applying/Requirements_for_Admission.htm.

Hey guys! You think it's worth a shot? OOS CA Resident, UCSD, 3.7 GPA, 26 MCAT (12 BS, 8 PS, 6 VR), 6000 hrs musician, 90 hours ER volunteer, Worked the whole way through college at Sbux then a IBD basic science research (Honors Thesis as well). Currently heading the start up of the first IBD support groups at my school and hometown through the Crohns and Colitis Foundation for America.

I say it never hurts to try. Just incase you don't already know OOS tuition is $80k

This is the email I got last year from MSCUCOM regarding secondaries. Im assuming the deadline is ONE month bc the date I received the email was 10/24 and the deadline states is ONE month after. Hope this helps.

Dear - ,

The Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine invites you to complete our supplemental application. You can access the application and instructions at https://admissions.com.msu.edu.

For security purposes, you will need to log in using your AACOMAS ID. Please remove the dash, but include 2014. Also, do not cut & paste the information as the system is case senstive.

Temporary password:-

Your application submission deadline is 11/24/2013.

PLEASE NOTE: This is the first year all candidates applying to the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine will receive a supplemental application. The receipt of a supplemental application does not assume competitiveness or guarantee admission. We expect each applicant to review information found on our websitehttp://www.com.msu.edu/Admissions/Applying/Profile_for_Success.ht to determine his/her desire to enter the applicant pool.

Please be aware that accreditation standards stipulate that all requirements must be successfully completed prior to entry into the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine. It is each applicant’s responsibility to verify the details of those requirements, which are listed on the MSUCOM website at http://www.com.msu.edu/Admissions/Applying/Requirements_for_Admission.htm.

Thank you so much for the info :)

Thank you so much for the info :)

Like prowd2beloud147 said, their limit last year was a month but people did get extensions. Things change, though, from year-to-year. For instance, it looks like three LORs will be needed this year, they're adding a couple more essay-type questions, and so forth. Good luck! :)

What are those musician hours for? Is that a volunteer activity? If not, those 90 hospital hours may not cut it.

Your GPA is great and the MCAT is okay, but a touch on the low side. Just FYI, the last update I received stated an accepted student sGPA of just below 3.6 and MCAT just below 29. My understanding, and experience, is that MSUCOM generally shows more flexibility with GPA and is a bit more rigid with accepted MCAT scores.

I think you have a decent chance if you can stomach the potentially astronomical tuition and have, at the very least, 600+ volunteer hours from high school on.

My time a musician was all free, sometimes even out of pocket if the band did not sell all the presales. So yes, all volunteer hours. I wish I got paid haha.

Thank you for the advice! I hope the ECs put some padding over the less than exemplary MCAT.

My time a musician was all free, sometimes even out of pocket if the band did not sell all the presales. So yes, all volunteer hours. I wish I got paid haha.

Thank you for the advice! I hope the ECs put some padding over the less than exemplary MCAT.
Hmm. Well unpaid hours for an EC =/= volunteer hours in my mind. However, the secondary (last year) only specified "Volunteer work is anything you have done for which you haven’t been paid from which an individual, group or organization benefited." So, you may be able to count some of your musical experiences. However, personally, I only included music hours when I volunteered to play in the community... and none of my countless rehearsals, school performances, festivals, etc. I suppose my point is that you just think carefully about the hours you state (or at least be able to justify the numbers), since you don't want to look like you're padding the hour tally.

Since I had written my previous post via phone, I didn't get a chance to look at your MDapps. Your experiences are pretty impressive, so I would definitely recommend applying if you're serious about MSU!

Last edited:
Ah thanks for the advice! Well I mean these were shows at a venue that were unpaid. I'd say 1000 hours of my time was spent teaching and tutoring others guitar through my church and playing for them which to me, seems like volunteering your skills for a community. But YES I do not want to show like I'm padding at all! I want to be completely transperant.

Thank you again for the suggestion! I will definitely apply!

Quick question: are a student there???

Ah thanks for the advice! Well I mean these were shows at a venue that were unpaid. I'd say 1000 hours of my time was spent teaching and tutoring others guitar through my church and playing for them which to me, seems like volunteering your skills for a community. But YES I do not want to show like I'm padding at all! I want to be completely transperant.

Thank you again for the suggestion! I will definitely apply!

Quick question: are a student there???
Sounds reasonable to me!

Yes, I'll be starting my first year on Wednesday. :)

Whoa, definitely!

Do you mind sharing the secondary questions with us?

I'm actually at work, so when I get a chance I'll do it. Only one question remains from last year lol.

I'm actually at work, so when I get a chance I'll do it. Only one question remains from last year lol.

Thanks man, really appreciate it :)

Good thing I haven't started writing for MSU yet :p

Thanks man, really appreciate it :)

Good thing I haven't started writing for MSU yet :p

Man I wrote all of mine and was ready to submit. I guess its fine cause my MCAT comes back tmrw and I have to update my AACOMAS anyway.

Man I wrote all of mine and was ready to submit. I guess its fine cause my MCAT comes back tmrw and I have to update my AACOMAS anyway.

You can probably pull some stuff out of it and throw it into a similar secondary Q from another school. It's not all waste ;)

I was sent a secondary as well. Im also at work and am unable to share the secondary essay/s. The e-mail did say that all first time applicants are sent a secondary and that I, personally, have until 7/09 to submit mine.

I was sent a secondary as well. Im also at work and am unable to share the secondary essay/s. The e-mail did say that all first time applicants are sent a secondary and that I, personally, have until 7/09 to submit mine.

Yep. I'm confused though, I thought AACOMAS wasn't sending out at least another 10 days.

That's exactly what I thought as well....and the reason I am not done writing this schools secondary essays from last year. But, i did read that the school could download them if they wanted.

Edit: I just checked my application and all schools still say submitted to aacomas. Not even Msu has a date where it was released to the school.

Last edited:
MSUCOM SECONDARY APPLICATION QUESTIONS

Have you applied to MSUCOM previously?
Yes/No

Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you.
Current Word Count: 0/500

What is your legacy to your family, friends and the community at this point in your life?
Current Word Count: 0/250

How would you handle a situation if you witnessed a colleague demonstrating unprofessional behavior?

What are your expectations of medical school?

If the committee viewed your social media page(s) (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), would it help or harm your application?

If you had to choose a different career path what would that be?

Please tell us how you learned about the osteopathic profession by checking all of the following selections that apply.
[-] have been a patient of a DO
[-] referred by pre-medical advisor
[-] visited an osteopathic college
[-] met with an advisor from an osteopathic college
[-] participated in a premedical osteopathic interest group
[-] attended a presentation about osteopathic medicine
[-] read about or reviewed website(s) regarding osteopathic medicine
[-] attended an event at an MSUCOM site
[-] shadowed, volunteered, and/or worked with DO(s)

Please list any pending exposures to Osteopathic Medicine, if applicable (if you have no pending activities, please note "not applicable" in the space below).

I just got mine too. I was just wondering do our recommendation letters have to be in (and verified by MSUCOM, that their received) before we submit the secondary?
And also what would be a reasonable time to submit it within that wouldn't look poorly upon you?