Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got mine too. I was just wondering do our recommendation letters have to be in (and verified by MSUCOM, that their received) before we submit the secondary?
And also what would be a reasonable time to submit it within that wouldn't look poorly upon you?

Just submit them, and your file should update as they get everything.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks polylux for posting the essay prompts. A dumb question but Letters of Evaluation are literally the exact same thing as Letters of Recommendation? The only reason that I ask is that I remember from the last year threads that everyone mentioned a form that your evaluators had to fill out about you. I don't see that form anywhere but on the MSU CIB page, it says "two completed evaluations and two letters of recommendation". I know that that is outdated now because the secondary form is asking for 3 Letters of Evaluation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks polylux for posting the essay prompts. A dumb question but Letters of Evaluation are literally the exact same thing as Letters of Recommendation?

Yeah its the same

Reactions: 1 user
This legacy question is tough
Yeah... I'm 22 what legacy could I possibly have beyond all the receipts my parents have for everything they've needed to buy for me?

I agree. What exactly are the asking for? What 'role' do you play w/in your family, community ext.?

If you can think of a better way to word the ? please let me know!

I just said for family, I'm one of the few successful ones. Friends, I'm a leader and role model. Community, I talked about my mosque where I did a ton of volunteering and my reputation on my undergrad campus. Wasn't really sure what else to say, 250 words isn't that much room to begin with.

Gonna edit tonight with the lady, and I'll prolly submit tmrw.

Yeah its the same
Awesome, thanks a bunch.

For the legacy essay, I'm writing about how I've taught so many students how to raise and train their show cattle. I didn't word that as well as I could, but that's the basic idea that I'll be going with.

Awesome, thanks a bunch.

For the legacy essay, I'm writing about how I've taught so many students how to raise and train their show cattle. I didn't word that as well as I could, but that's the basic idea that I'll be going with.

That's so Texas

For all of you who have gotten secondaries now, when was your primary application submitted, sent out and verified by aacomas? I submitted my app on june 3 and its still processing :(

For all of you who have gotten secondaries now, when was your primary application submitted, sent out and verified by aacomas? I submitted my app on june 3 and its still processing :(

I submitted the first day and was verified within a couple of days. You should be complete any day now. Are your transcripts and payments in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry just clarifying... so we can submit the secondary without having all the rec letters in?

Yep.

How much in-depth did you answer the social media question?

Haha I said I have nothing to hide. My Facebook is private anyway, but I barely use it. I'm also inviting them to look at my instagram. Get a better picture of me (both figuratively and literally). :D
Take a look, what y'all think?
instagram.com/shinobiz11

Last edited:
I submitted the first day and was verified within a couple of days. You should be complete any day now. Are your transcripts and payments in?
My app is verified but next to the schools is just says receipt and shows the different schools i applied to. It does not show my verified app yet. Does yours?

My app is verified but next to the schools is just says receipt and shows the different schools i applied to. It does not show my verified app yet. Does yours?

Nope I was wondering the same. I guess you don't get to see it until they actually release apps

Yes everything is in and its been processing since June 3 :(

Well...just got a 24 on my MCAT. Gotta hit the books again.:bang:

Well...just got a 24 on my MCAT. Gotta hit the books again.:bang:

I'm so sorry. :( There is still a chance to retake in September for this year. You did go from 18 to 24 which is a great improvement. And who knows, maybe the 24 will suffice with your other life achievements (I'm going to turn a new leaf and ride the lower-MCAT optimism that those on this thread have had)?

I'm so sorry. :( There is still a chance to retake in September for this year. You did go from 18 to 24 which is a great improvement. And who knows, maybe the 24 will suffice with your other life achievements (I'm going to turn a new leaf and ride the lower-MCAT optimism that those on this thread have had)?

I'd love to roll with it lol. I know I can get into some other DO programs for sure, my fiancee and I just really want to stay in MI though. Plus when I spoke with Anne (adcom MSUCOM) she told me aim for a 27+, if you get a 25, you should retake. :confused:

I think it's possible with a 24, but as I said before... I'm under the impression that MSU isn't quite as flexible with MCAT scores as they are with GPA. My experience is that a low GPA and a high MCAT is okay with them (if you have evidence to show you're otherwise competent with a breadth of experience), but a moderate GPA and a low MCAT will rarely pass muster. Plus, I would trust the advice Anne gave you (as she's one of the people who knows a lot about admissions).

However, you've certainly got other things going for you. I didn't even submit my secondary until September (and all turned out okay), so it certainly wouldn't hurt to re-take that MCAT later in the season and cross your fingers. :)

I think it's possible with a 24, but as I said before... I'm under the impression that MSU isn't quite as flexible with MCAT scores as they are with GPA. My experience is that a low GPA and a high MCAT is okay with them (if you have evidence to show you're otherwise competent with a breadth of experience), but a moderate GPA and a low MCAT will rarely pass muster. Plus, I would trust the advice Anne gave you (as she's one of the people who knows a lot about admissions).

However, you've certainly got other things going for you. I didn't even submit my secondary until September (and all turned out okay), so it certainly wouldn't hurt to re-take that MCAT later in the season and cross your fingers. :)

Right, and when I met with her (twice), she said get your MCAT up and you'll be fine. I just don't want to get the score back late and then end up with a bad review because it was late.

Submitted.

I think I'll try to bank on the 24. It may be a long shot, but hopefully they give me a chance.

Submitted.

I think I'll try to bank on the 24. It may be a long shot, but hopefully they give me a chance.

I don't mean to be a discouragement but I would consider retaking it and send an update letter noting that it is scheduled. MSU is strict on MCAT because they use that for a basis of your ability to pass standardized tests like the comlex. I first took the MCAT and got a 26. Their admissions office said that is minimum they look for since that is median.

The reason for this minimum is students need to pass the comlex. If they can't that affects MSUs ratings and ability to receive federal funding.

I had a 26 with a low GPA so I retook and got a 31. My view is that it is better to spend time and money now in case you don't get in. Otherwise you'll be scrambling to try and repair your stats before next cycle.

BTW, use exam krackers if you haven't. Gave me a 5 point bump over Kaplan.

I don't mean to be a discouragement but I would consider retaking it and send an update letter noting that it is scheduled. MSU is strict on MCAT because they use that for a basis of your ability to pass standardized tests like the comlex. I first took the MCAT and got a 26. Their admissions office said that is minimum they look for since that is median.

The reason for this minimum is students need to pass the comlex. If they can't that affects MSUs ratings and ability to receive federal funding.

I had a 26 with a low GPA so I retook and got a 31. My view is that it is better to spend time and money now in case you don't get in. Otherwise you'll be scrambling to try and repair your stats before next cycle.

BTW, use exam krackers if you haven't. Gave me a 5 point bump over Kaplan.

I hear ya.

What is 26 a median for? Accepted students? Or applicants?

If its accepted students, that's means its directly in the middle, and there are scores on either side. For applicants its another story. Can you clarify?

Also my money is tight, I can either apply broadly or spend the majority on the MCAT and try to get lucky when I get the score. I'm still thinking about it, I'll prolly start doing some studying and drop in on a date a month before.

Has anyone sent in their secondary yet? I want to spend a bit of time making sure they're perfect but don't want to seem like I'm procrastinating.

I hear ya.

What is 26 a median for? Accepted students? Or applicants?

If its accepted students, that's means its directly in the middle, and there are scores on either side. For applicants its another story. Can you clarify?

Also my money is tight, I can either apply broadly or spend the majority on the MCAT and try to get lucky when I get the score. I'm still thinking about it, I'll prolly start doing some studying and drop in on a date a month before.

Sorry what I meant is that 26 is the mean of all students who take the MCAT ( https://www.aamc.org/students/download/361080/data/combined13.pdf.pdf). Your score put you below the average of all students who took the MCAT in 2013.

From my personal experience the admissions at msucom said that they want to see at lest a 26 so they be assured you can study for and pass the comlex.

I'm having a hard time uploading my photo; anyone else having this issue?

Has anyone sent in their secondary yet? I want to spend a bit of time making sure they're perfect but don't want to seem like I'm procrastinating.

I did lol.

Sorry what I meant is that 26 is the mean of all students who take the MCAT ( https://www.aamc.org/students/download/361080/data/combined13.pdf.pdf). Your score put you below the average of all students who took the MCAT in 2013.

From my personal experience the admissions at msucom said that they want to see at lest a 26 so they be assured you can study for and pass the comlex.

Not sure where you're getting that from with the PDF you linked. It clearly says the mean score is 25.3, which would round down to 25. Also there is a standard deviation of 6.5. Data on ACCEPTED students is much more important. https://www.aamc.org/download/321520/data/2012factstable25-5.pdf
As a URM, with my score and GPA, I have a 70% chance of getting accepted. I know MSUCOM wants the higher MCAT's, but I do have chances at other schools as well. I'm not trying to downplay what you're saying, but things happen, people get in with 24's or lower. Hell, someone got into UMich last cycle with a 24.

I did lol.

Not sure where you're getting that from with the PDF you linked. It clearly says the mean score is 25.3, which would round down to 25. Also there is a standard deviation of 6.5. Data on ACCEPTED students is much more important. https://www.aamc.org/download/321520/data/2012factstable25-5.pdf
As a URM, with my score and GPA, I have a 70% chance of getting accepted. I know MSUCOM wants the higher MCAT's, but I do have chances at other schools as well. I'm not trying to downplay what you're saying, but things happen, people get in with 24's or lower. Hell, someone got into UMich last cycle with a 24.

I don't mean to argue, I agree that is good data, but I question if the stats include DO schools. And DO schools are known to take nontraditional approaches.

Honestly, I hope you get in. As someone who is a 3rd time applicant I'm trying to give some perspective of what its like to try and "fix" an application within months before the next application cycle. It is better that if you see a weakness work to address it before you apply or during the current cycle so you can be ready for next cycle.

Personally I hope we all make it and I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a Debbie downer. I know I've met many on sdn and I try not to perpetuate the cycle.

I don't mean to argue, I agree that is good data, but I question if the stats include DO schools. And DO schools are known to take nontraditional approaches.

Honestly, I hope you get in. As someone who is a 3rd time applicant I'm trying to give some perspective of what its like to try and "fix" an application within months before the next application cycle. It is better that if you see a weakness work to address it before you apply or during the current cycle so you can be ready for next cycle.

Personally I hope we all make it and I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a Debbie downer. I know I've met many on sdn and I try not to perpetuate the cycle.

Right I respect that man. I'm just in a very sticky situation right now. If I had more money I would retake with no question. I have to make a very careful decision. I appreciate your input and concern and wish the same for you.

Can you send additional letters of evaluation as you receive them after submitting your secondary application? I have a few I would like to submit with my secondary application, however, there is one that will come later on and would like to send that as well.

All AAMC member institutions are MD-granting programs. So I believe the facts for "accepted students" are specific to MD schools.

That being said, I do believe mean MCAT scores for matriculants at MSU-COM generally have worked out to 26 - 28 for the last few years. Additionally, it is good to note that admissions states that they require minimum MCAT scores of 6 in Verbal, 6 in PS, and 8 in BS for consideration.

I would recommend taking time to make sure you application is good, as they do look at each part thoroughly (i.e., a specific adcom member looks at your file closely and presents you to the committee). Fit is important. You're still in good shape if you submit the secondary by early August. Of course, you should also submit it within the time frame they request in the e-mail. :)

Can you send additional letters of evaluation as you receive them after submitting your secondary application? I have a few I would like to submit with my secondary application, however, there is one that will come later on and would like to send that as well.
Note that only two letters are accepted. Edit: I only see that on the AACOMAS Info Book page now... and can't find that stated on the MSU-COM website. Please follow any and all guidelines as sent to you with your secondary! Things certainly are subject to change from year to year.

Last edited:
I just wrote some of my answers today, and I'm going to take the weekend to answer the remaining two and review before submitting. Honestly, even getting the secondary now is crazy early on the timeline, so I am not concerned with taking a few extra days before submitting to make sure my answers are good.

Can you send additional letters of evaluation as you receive them after submitting your secondary application?
All AAMC member institutions are MD-granting programs. So I believe the facts for "accepted students" are specific to MD schools.

That being said, I do believe mean MCAT scores for matriculants at MSU-COM generally have worked out to 26 - 28 for the last few years. Additionally, it is good to note that admissions states that they require minimum MCAT scores of 6 in Verbal, 6 in PS, and 8 in BS for consideration.

I would recommend taking time to make sure you application is good, as they do look at each part thoroughly (i.e., a specific adcom member looks at your file closely and presents you to the committee). Fit is important. You're still in good shape if you submit the secondary by early August. Of course, you should also submit it within the time frame they request in the e-mail. :)

Note that only two letters are accepted. Edit: I only see that on the AACOMAS Info Book page now... and can't find that stated on the MSU-COM website. Please follow any and all guidelines as sent to you with your secondary! Things certainly are subject to change from year to year.

In the secondary, they are requesting at least 3 letters of evaluation. I am just not sure whether they accept additional letters after secondary has been submitted.?

In the secondary, they are requesting at least 3 letters of evaluation. I am just not sure whether they accept additional letters after secondary has been submitted.?

Yeah they are taking three this year.

Yeah they are taking three this year.
Interesting. I always thought their limit of two was a bit strict... since most people have at least three valuable and varied letters ready to go.
Sorry, I have no idea. Since they've changed things on us, I don't want to take any guesses that may be incorrect. Just give the office a call tomorrow. :)

So you are not going to retake the MCAT?

Still deciding. If I have the money in a month and I've made some strides in VR I'll highly consider it. At the moment, I'm still weighing options and figuring out what I can do

So has everyone else in the thread that submitted on the 3rd been sent a secondary by this point? Because I haven't received anything, and I don't know whether it ought to be cause for concern...
I submitted on 6/1. I don't think you're alone though.

I'm meeting with Anne tomorrow to discuss my stats and whether I should apply. I'm hoping she does tell me to apply because I feel I have a good shot: 3.76 cGPA, 3.89 sGPA 30-31 avg MCAT (get score on 6/17), good clinical volunteering, LoRs from people with strong ties to MSUCOM. My only problem is my lack of non-clinical volunteering in college and lack of demonstrated leadership. I have ~300 hours of private tutoring from high school and I'm doing more non-clinical this summer as well as during the school year and I'll have an eBoard position as well. Sorry for putting all this in here. I don't want to turn this into a "What are my chances" thread but I'm hoping everything else can make up for the non-clinical. I go to MSU and MSUCOM is my top choice school so I would love to get accepted here.

I'm meeting with Anne tomorrow to discuss my stats and whether I should apply. I'm hoping she does tell me to apply because I feel I have a good shot: 3.76 cGPA, 3.89 sGPA 30-31 avg MCAT (get score on 6/17), good clinical volunteering, LoRs from people with strong ties to MSUCOM. My only problem is my lack of non-clinical volunteering in college and lack of demonstrated leadership. I have ~300 hours of private tutoring from high school and I'm doing more non-clinical this summer as well as during the school year and I'll have an eBoard position as well. Sorry for putting all this in here. I don't want to turn this into a "What are my chances" thread but I'm hoping everything else can make up for the non-clinical. I go to MSU and MSUCOM is my top choice school so I would love to get accepted here.
You sound like a great candidate (with a LizzyM score potentially right around mine). :) Hope you enjoy meeting and hearing more about MSUCOM. As long as you can convey honest interest in COM, I expect there's no reason she would advise against applying. I'll be curious to hear her feedback if you end up sharing. Good luck with that MCAT!

Last edited:
So has everyone else in the thread that submitted on the 3rd been sent a secondary by this point? Because I haven't received anything, and I don't know whether it ought to be cause for concern...
I have a friend who applied on the 3rd and not a secondary I think it is still really early and I wish you the best in the cycle

You sound like a great candidate (with a LizzyM score potentially right around mine). :) Hope you enjoy meeting and hearing more about MSUCOM. As long as you can convey honest interest in COM, I expect there's no reason she would advise against applying. I'll be curious to hear her feedback if you end up sharing. Good luck with that MCAT!

I had a great meeting with Anne. She encouraged me to definitely apply and do it ASAP. She said all my stuff looked fine and they don't really look at "800-900" hours of volunteering anymore since people can embellish it. Also she said they look at the top 20% first in terms of GPA & MCAT. After reviewing the applicant they can either accept, reject, waitlist, or wait until your Fall grades come in. She gave me a tour of their Macomb campus and it's pretty nice but I'm still partial to EL.

That legacy question is a doozy. Anyone know when they start looking at apps?

What do you mean by this? They rank all the applicants and review them based on the order?

I believe that is what she meant. Or maybe they don't "rank them" per se and just look at the top 20% first. I didn't ask her to clarify when she said it. I have her email, though. I could ask her again.

That legacy question is a doozy. Anyone know when they start looking at apps?

The advisor I met with said near the end of August.

I believe that is what she meant. Or maybe they don't "rank them" per se and just look at the top 20% first. I didn't ask her to clarify when she said it. I have her email, though. I could ask her again.

If 1000 people submit, they look at the first 200 people and make decisions by September?