Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I too was interviewed yesterday

I found the MMI pretty neat, but at the same time I was pretty nervous! There were some stations where I had the concept in my head that I wanted to express, but I felt like I was stumbling with getting it out coherently! However, there were a few stations in which I connected with the situation personally, and was better able to articulate my points.

Eh... Afterwards since I have been doing the whole "Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda" thing. Overall I liked it, I just hope I get some good news from MSUCOM. Loved everyone I met there, the students, the faculty, and the other applicants (MSU is soooo big. Holy jeez dat stadium).

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted! Did somebody say something about a fb group?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
is there a point in still submitting the secondary this late in the game..... lets say above avg stats by a little

is there a point in still submitting the secondary this late in the game..... lets say above avg stats by a little

You should def submit the secondary. There's a lot of movement on waitlist for this school so if you get interview and do great you have a good chance of getting accepted. Good luck.

Greetings Applicants,

Welcome to the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine application process. We plan to send you monthly email notifications inclusive of the current status of the admissions process. Interview invitations could occur anytime between now and mid-January.

Applicant summary, as of 10/26/15

All AACOMAS Applicants: 4202
Total Offers: 210
Seat Deposits Paid: 93 (includes Canadians)
Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 15
MCAT average of accepted applicants: 29/508
Science GPA average of accepted applicants: 3.6

Subjective factors of the application such as extracurricular activities, volunteer experience, recommendation letters, osteopathic interest, and personal statements are not quantifiable and therefore we are unable to provide data on these highly valued application entities.

Please log in to the admissions system to check your status for missing information. Please note that phone calls to the office slow the process. If you no longer wish to be considered for the 2016 application cycle, please contact us at [email protected] with your intent to withdrawal.

Best wishes,

The Team at MSUCOM Admissions

----Can't believe 210 offers have already been made! Wish they would have also included the number who declined an offer as well. And how many students have been waitlisted thus far.

Reactions: 1 user
Is a 508 really a 29? Thought it was 30, borderline 31. And when they say phone calls slow the process, they don't mean your specific appliaction right? sent my secondary a few weeks ago, still not complete.

I dont think they are saying a 29 and a 508 are equivalent. I think they are just saying of those accepted who took the MCAT2015 the average is a 508. Correct, I do not believe they mean it slows down your application specifically, but just that lots of calls slow down the process for everyone. You could hear back at any time!

Reactions: 1 users
Greetings Applicants,

Welcome to the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine application process. We plan to send you monthly email notifications inclusive of the current status of the admissions process. Interview invitations could occur anytime between now and mid-January.

Applicant summary, as of 10/26/15

All AACOMAS Applicants: 4202
Total Offers: 210
Seat Deposits Paid: 93 (includes Canadians)
Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 15
MCAT average of accepted applicants: 29/508
Science GPA average of accepted applicants: 3.6

Subjective factors of the application such as extracurricular activities, volunteer experience, recommendation letters, osteopathic interest, and personal statements are not quantifiable and therefore we are unable to provide data on these highly valued application entities.

Please log in to the admissions system to check your status for missing information. Please note that phone calls to the office slow the process. If you no longer wish to be considered for the 2016 application cycle, please contact us at [email protected] with your intent to withdrawal.

Best wishes,

The Team at MSUCOM Admissions

----Can't believe 210 offers have already been made! Wish they would have also included the number who declined an offer as well. And how many students have been waitlisted thus far.
Wow, things are moving faster than I thought with this new system! Around this time - though a little bit earlier - my application year we had 3561 applicants, 118 offers, 53 deposits paid and a 3.76/30.66 (highest MCAT score if multiples taken; 28.47 if average of all MCAT scores)

They're moving fast!!! I've been complete since September 1st and still nothing

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish all the school would start doing these same emails, just so you know where they are in the process. Although I will say I about had a heart attack thinking it was an II. lol

Reactions: 3 users
Can't believe 210 offers have already been made! Wish they would have also included the number who declined an offer as well. And how many students have been waitlisted thus far.
I'm surprised that the offers are that high and 93 people have submitted a deposit considering it seems like they are working on the 10/8 interviewees according to SDN (what is that like the 4th or 5th interview group?). It's going so fast!

The sGPA average is that high? I'm honestly surprised I even got an II.
I'm certainly an underdog applicant with a 3.2-3.3 sGPA. I'm guessing that 30+ MCAT might have helped me out....

The sGPA average is that high? I'm honestly surprised I even got an II.
I'm certainly an underdog applicant with a 3.2-3.3 sGPA. I'm guessing that 30+ MCAT might have helped me out....
GPA ranges are usually significantly wider than MCAT ranges at MSU -- so an above average MCAT can "make up" for a lower GPA while the inverse is not usually true. I was in the same boat. :)

Interviewed 9/30 and still havent heard anything yet... Cant believe they got to the individuals that interviewed on 10/8 before getting to us.....

That is very good to hear. I felt a little nervous at the MMI, but also really confident on most of the stations. I'm keeping my fingers crossed here.

If they gave me an II, then MSU must have liked something on my app

I'm surprised that the offers are that high and 93 people have submitted a deposit considering it seems like they are working on the 10/8 interviewees according to SDN (what is that like the 4th or 5th interview group?). It's going so fast!

If there about ~50 people per interview date it seems like they are sending offers to most everyone they are interviewing then. Can that be right? Maybe they have had more interview groups than that?

That is very good to hear. I felt a little nervous at the MMI, but also really confident on most of the stations. I'm keeping my fingers crossed here.

If they gave me an II, then MSU must have liked something on my app
Absolutely. It's safe to assume that your numbers have convinced them that you're a capable applicant if you got an interview. Your interview itself plus a thorough review of the non-numerical parts of your application are what I would think matters most now.

Interviewed 9/30 and still havent heard anything yet... Cant believe they got to the individuals that interviewed on 10/8 before getting to us.....

I wouldn't worry too much. It most likely is due to the faculty member who is reviewing your application. You should be hearing back very soon!

If there about ~50 people per interview date it seems like they are sending offers to most everyone they are interviewing then. Can that be right? Maybe they have had more interview groups than that?
My understanding is that there have now been 250-300 people interviewed (and some not reviewed yet)... so chances definitely seem pretty good post-interview. :)

My understanding is that there have now been 250-300 people interviewed (and some not reviewed yet)... so chances definitely seem pretty good post-interview. :)
So far yeah! At the open house they said they are expecting >6000 apps this year so the competition is about to get fierce for those remaining spots

Omg! 15 Canadians have paid the deposit already and more have probably been offered a spot...doesn't leave much space for the rest of us :(

So I haven't paid my deposit just yet, but expect to by Nov 10th. Just as a general question, is it first come first serve to get a seat? If all 210 offers paid the deposit tomorrow would I be SOL and the class be filled? And on a separate note @SpartanWolverine I have had multiple MMI experiences at this point and enjoyed MSUCOM the most. It was also my first. I do feel that I was way more comfortable going into the second one so they are not easily compared.

So I haven't paid my deposit just yet, but expect to by Nov 10th. Just as a general question, is it first come first serve to get a seat? If all 210 offers paid the deposit tomorrow would I be SOL and the class be filled? And on a separate note @SpartanWolverine I have had multiple MMI experiences at this point and enjoyed MSUCOM the most. It was also my first. I do feel that I was way more comfortable going into the second one so they are not easily compared.
At my interview day Katie stated that if offered admission, you are guaranteed a seat

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

In the past they have not accepted any students past the class size of 300. Any people past the 300 get wait listed or declined. Most schools go over the class size hoping students don't accept it but com doesn't do that. So if you get accepted, it's your spot until you decline or pass the deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the past they have not accepted any students past the class size of 300. Any people past the 300 get wait listed or declined. Most schools go over the class size hoping students don't accept it but com doesn't do that. So if you get accepted, it's your spot until you decline or pass the deadline.

Not true they have accepted about 15 more.

Interesting. Just sharing what I heard from an admissions rep.

Well, technically the class size is a bit over 300 -- it's slowly increasing. Class of 2019 started out around 330 so c/o 2020 will likely be in the same ballpark.
So far yeah! At the open house they said they are expecting >6000 apps this year so the competition is about to get fierce for those remaining spots
And yep! Last year was the first time they broke 6,000. It'll probably top that again this year, though last year was likely a heavy app year with ostensibly more people trying to squeeze in before the change to the new MCAT format.

I just got the phone call! Complete 10/02 interview 10/23 and accepted 10/27!

Last edited:
I really hope the 9/30s and I hear back this week! I have to book a flight to another school otherwise. Until then I'll be anxiously checking my phone/email...

I am interviewing on the 5th. This is going to be my 3rd MMI. Having a reading disability I found one of my interviews difficult because the questions were very wordy. The other was not as bad, having one to two sentence questions. Can any one comment on the length for MSUCOM MMI questions. I would appreciate it.

I am interviewing on the 5th. This is going to be my 3rd MMI. Having a reading disability I found one of my interviews difficult because the questions were very wordy. The other was not as bad, having one to two sentence questions. Can any one comment on the length for MSUCOM MMI questions. I would appreciate it.

I would call admissions and talk to them about it. They may be able to help you out. We all signed disclosure agreements and can't share any details of the MMI whether its format or content.

Received an II today. This would be my first interview and I'm extremely nervous, what kind of questions should I expect?

Received an II today. This would be my first interview and I'm extremely nervous, what kind of questions should I expect?
Cannot release any information about the MMI whatsoever.
But what I will say is, just know yourself and be confident. Know your personal statement. Know your resume and be able to articulate it. Be able to "advertise" yourself well without sounding cocky and arrogant. Know where your ethics and morals lie. Do some research and review "common questions" asked at medical school MMI interviews.

Sounds like a lot, but you'll do fine! Best of luck!

Agree with the above poster. I would also add that you can't really prepare for MMI's so no point in worrying about the actual questions (lol even though we all do). What you could focus is on your delivery, how you put your thoughts into words. Be able to explain your thoughts concisely and back up your answers with proper reasoning! You can practise that with any and every question. I personally looked through UBC and McMaster University's websites to get a better idea since they have some sample questions for their MMI's (they are both universities in Canada)

Congrats on the II and best of luck! :)

This is a good resource. It provides clear examples of different question types, and encourages you to think and articulate (not recite) your answers.

Amazon product

Hey DrPatriot,

I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about the MMI - are they generally ethical dilemmas? What is the structure (i.e. do you read a notecard outside the room, and then enter the interview room and outline how you would solve the problem)? how many MMIs are there and how long is each one?[/QUOTE]

I would say around 20

Hi Lahaiesi,

I was wondering if you could elaborate on your interview day, and specifically about the MMIs. Were these ethical questions? How many did you have and how long was each one?

Accepted today while on my way to another interview tmrw!!! Interviewed 10/8. Super excited!! Instate, Urm, 28 MCAT CGPA: 3.3 SGPA 3.2..average EC, shadowing..I really enjoyed the MMI format and it is nothing to worry about for anyone still waiting to interview. Good luck!

Hi Hollilover15,

Congrats on your acceptance!
I have my interview coming up in a few weeks, and I was wondering if you could elaborate on your experience of interview day. What was the schedule like? can you also elaborate a bit about the MMIs - were they generally ethical dilemmas? How many did you have and how long did you have to solve each one?

Hi Lahaiesi,

I was wondering if you could elaborate on your interview day, and specifically about the MMIs. Were these ethical questions? How many did you have and how long was each one?
Unfortunately we sign a waiver the day of the interview so we can't discuss any specifics regarding the MMI. If you look at some earlier posts on the forum today, there are great recommendations for resources and ways to prepare for the interview. There isn't much of a way to practice and prepare so just relax and be confident in how you speak and communicate. You will do just fine! It's easy and over before you know it!