Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those who have paid their deposits, do you need to wait to receive your student PID before you can complete the prematriculation requirements and compliances? And if so, about how long did it take you to receive your student ID information?
You can get your fingerprints and stuff done without the ID but I believe you need it for the prematriculation experience.

It has been over 4 weeks since I sent in my transcripts and I haven't received my ID yet. Dr. Ruger said it takes 4-6 weeks to get it. I don't believe anyone has received it yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
submitted my secondary in July and just received an II today :) thought they had forgotten about me!

Congratulations to both of you for your recent II! Do you mind sharing the dates available for an interview on their portal, when you guys tried to schedule one?
Thanks.

I've been following this forum the entire application cycle, but this is my first time posting.. I got an II this morning!! This is my first one, so it definitely made my day :)

Sorry meant to include you too on this msg -
Congratulations to both of you for your recent II! Do you mind sharing the dates available for an interview on their portal, when you guys tried to schedule one?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.

According to taltos1336 3 more interview sessions are scheduled currently (11/5, 11/13, 12/11).

Thanks.

When I got the email 11/13 and 12/15 were listed, by the time I logged in the 13th was full. Per the advisor I spoke with there are currently 3 interview days scheduled, today the 13th and Dec 11th.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks.

Thank you! The email they sent me said I could choose between 11/13 and 12/11, but when I went on portal the 13th was already full so I scheduled for the 11th. I looked forward a little bit and saw an interview date in January, I believe it was 1/5, but I am not 100% sure so don't quote me on that one. But for before the new year 12/11 appears to be the final interview day.

Good luck in getting an II!

Got an interview invite earlier this week as well for December. Does anybody have advice for how to explain a low MCAT verbal score? I received a 5 :(

Got an interview invite earlier this week as well for December. Does anybody have advice for how to explain a low MCAT verbal score? I received a 5 :(
they dont even ask

If you're worried about being asked about it during your interview... that is usually not the kind of thing you will be asked about, as the MMI is a blinded/closed-file interview process (i.e., your interviewers will know nothing about you except your name). It also wouldn't make for a very interesting station. ;)

They told us at the interview today that they will be sending another admission update sometime next week.

Talked to admissions, tier 1 waitlist is estimated to have a 50/50 chance of being accepted by the end of the year.

Some schools/interviewers will ask, so definitely be prepared for it b/c it needs to be a well put together response. Explain to them the exact difficulty you had, whether it was time pressure, you studied wrong, or an unfortunate event before the exam. Also, mention to them what you were getting on practice tests, and that you felt ready because of your practice exam scores. At the end, I'd throw in a sentence about how you fell like it won't be an issue in medical school and as a future physician. PM me if you have questions/want me to look over your response.

Talked to admissions, tier 1 waitlist is estimated to have a 50/50 chance of being accepted by the end of the year.
That doesn't make sense...what about tier 2? I feel like Tier 1 should have greater than a 50/50 chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
That doesn't make sense...what about tier 2? I feel like Tier 1 should have greater than a 50/50 chance.

At my interview Katherine Ruger said Tier 1 would be very likely to come off by the time of matriculation. Tier 2 would have about a 50/50 chance. Tier 3 usually never comes off but there is a chance. My guess is admissions was saying Tier 1 has about a 50% chance of come off by the end of December? Thats just a guess though.

At my interview Katherine Ruger said Tier 1 would be very likely to come off by the time of matriculation. Tier 2 would have about a 50/50 chance. Tier 3 usually never comes off but there is a chance. My guess is admissions was saying Tier 1 has about a 50% chance of come off by the end of December? Thats just a guess though.
Ok, that makes more sense. Unfortunately, I'm tier 2, but I guessed that it would be about 50/50 for me. Hopefully it ends up being good!

Ok, that makes more sense. Unfortunately, I'm tier 2, but I guessed that it would be about 50/50 for me. Hopefully it ends up being good!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you! You still have a great chance to get in :)

I didn't speak with Katherine, so her words may hold more weight.

^This is what we were told at the interview as well.

Are you IS or OOS? Could you please PM me stats bc Im in the same boat and waiting for II. Thanks

When someone tells you something is 50/50, it probably means "I am not sure, don't ask me!"

Anyone have their interview on 11/13 AM session?

Has anyone else heard back from the 10/23 interview? My boyfriend and I are applying together and I heard back a week ago but nothing for him yet. Just curious how many people did hear back!
I haven't yet, I read one guy from the 10/23 got acceptance call on 10/27 it seems which is pretty fast. But they did mention at the interview that it depends a lot on the person who is assigned to your application. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hey guys I have been busy for the last month and have not logged on in a bit but if you have any questions regarding the MUC campus please do not hesitate to send me a message

I haven't yet, I read one guy from the 10/23 got acceptance call on 10/27 it seems which is pretty fast. But they did mention at the interview that it depends a lot on the person who is assigned to your application. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
10/08 here...haven't heard back. Should I be worried...The deadline for us was yesterday in theory.

10/23 interview, accepted today!

Reactions: 3 users
10/08 here...haven't heard back. Should I be worried...The deadline for us was yesterday in theory.

I wouldn't worry. They wouldnt have called you on the weekend. You should hopefully hear sometime this week. Depends on when they meet and when your committee member finishes reviewing your application.

I got no call, but I live in Germany right now, maybe thats why. Email was about 20 o'clock german time :shifty:

I wouldn't worry. They wouldnt have called you on the weekend. You should hopefully hear sometime this week. Depends on when they meet and when your committee member finishes reviewing your application.

Thanks for replying -- ya I was hoping for today. But I agree sometime this week should be it.

Thanks for replying -- ya I was hoping for today. But I agree sometime this week should be it.

Its definitely a hard wait. Sucks that some people hear back so quick and others wait a month or longer but I have noticed plenty of people who it took a month or a little longer get acceptances so don't read into the timing of it!

Its definitely a hard wait. Sucks that some people hear back so quick and others wait a month or longer but I have noticed plenty of people who it took a month or a little longer get acceptances so don't read into the timing of it!
I see. Thanks again for the boost! Ya the wait definitely gets the most amount of negative reading!

My application complete date is Oct. 31st, how long does it usually take for them to get back to you about interviews?

My application complete date is Oct. 31st, how long does it usually take for them to get back to you about interviews?

I dont think there is any set time. For me it took about 10 days, for some less and for others it took months. Sorry thats not very insightful. How are your stats?

Anyone have input on the benefits (if any) of submitting another letter of recommendation after already being interviewed? The letter would be coming from a non-science professor that studied at MSU, and could maybe provide some insight into how I would fit into the MSU culture as I did not attend MSU as a undergrad.

I was complete Sept 23 and have not heard back still. My stats are: GPAc 3.89, GPAs 3.85, MCAT 26 Balanced. I was also waitlisted last cycle.

Anyone have input on the benefits (if any) of submitting another letter of recommendation after already being interviewed? The letter would be coming from a non-science professor that studied at MSU, and could maybe provide some insight into how I would fit into the MSU culture as I did not attend MSU as a undergrad.
In my opinion (so take it with a grain of salt) I don't believe it would be that beneficial since your app has most likely been forwarded for review already post interview.

I don't think it would hurt either though...

I believe Katherine Ruger said in my interview that additional information would only be reviewed (potentially) if the candidate is on the waitlist and they are reviewing them to come off. I don't think it would hurt at all, but there is a good chance it won't get read.

I'm in the same boat friend.

I wouldn't worry. They don't reject nor accept in batches. If you think of yourself as the last "batch", it just means they haven't gotten to your file yet. Has no affect on acceptance or rejection. the only caveat is if they are mailing you an answer, which seems unlikely since they've been calling and emailing thus far. good luck!

I was complete Sept 23 and have not heard back still. My stats are: GPAc 3.89, GPAs 3.85, MCAT 26 Balanced. I was also waitlisted last cycle.

My GPA was horrible (3.14 and sGPA is 3.25 - had a bad few years), my MCAT is 509 (equivalent to 31).
I have strong clinical experience and my letters of recommendations are pretty strong as well, along with a secondary that I put a lot of effort into..

Same. I'm in tier 2. Fairly disappointed though
it was my favourite school

Same. I'm in tier 2. Fairly disappointed though
it was my favourite school
Did you hear this week? I saw your post earlier saying you were a 10/08 interview who didn't hear back yet. I'm also a 10/08 interview still waiting to hear back.

Did you hear this week? I saw your post earlier saying you were a 10/08 interview who didn't hear back yet. I'm also a 10/08 interview still waiting to hear back.

Ya I just got an email about half an hour ago. Good luck

Can a canadian who has accepted their offer confirm if they had to get the visa first before accepting the offer, or what they did in the "Professional Application for Admission" page where it says "visa type" and "Visa Number"?

Any OOS applicant accepted and actually consider going? Not sure if there's some massive scholarship opportunity to help with tuition that I don't know about :unsure:

Any OOS applicant accepted and actually consider going? Not sure if there's some massive scholarship opportunity to help with tuition that I don't know about :unsure:

Yes. The DO/PhD program o_O:)

I wouldn't worry. They don't reject nor accept in batches. If you think of yourself as the last "batch", it just means they haven't gotten to your file yet. Has no affect on acceptance or rejection. the only caveat is if they are mailing you an answer, which seems unlikely since they've been calling and emailing thus far. good luck!

Thanks for the good advice. I just got my call!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone gotten any interviews with MSUCOM in past week or so?