Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how deep into the cycle the give out II? I was complete 9/19. OOS, LizzyM ~70

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't currently have dates for interviews scheduled in February, but I suppose it's possible they may open some up if need be.
They had almost 300 admissions offers when we last got the update. Maybe they are waiting to see how many people actually pay the deposit before offering more II?

Reactions: 1 user
They had almost 300 admissions offers when we last got the update. Maybe they are waiting to see how many people actually pay the deposit before offering more II?
I thought the total offers amounted to 210 based on that email they sent out?

Reactions: 1 users
Have they sent out a November update yet? Or do they generally wait until the end of the month to send out updates?

I thought the total offers amounted to 210 based on that email they sent out?
You are correct. I misremembered. It is probably close to 300 now since there have been more waves of acceptances.

Have they sent out a November update yet? Or do they generally wait until the end of the month to send out updates?

I remember being told that they would send one out this week when I went for my interview last week but I guess they didn't. Maybe next week.

Reactions: 2 users
Applicant summary, as of 11/13/15
All AACOMAS Applicants: 4832
Applicants Interviewed: 398
Total Offers: 250
Seat Deposits Paid: 143 (includes Canadians)
Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 20
MCAT average of accepted applicants: 29/508
Science GPA average of accepted applicants: 3.6

Applicant summary, as of 11/13/15
All AACOMAS Applicants: 4832
Applicants Interviewed: 398
Total Offers: 250
Seat Deposits Paid: 143 (includes Canadians)
Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 20
MCAT average of accepted applicants: 29/508
Science GPA average of accepted applicants: 3.6
Wow you work quick! I just got that email.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Angone know how many seats they have left? I don't even know if it's worth doing their secondary at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they still accepting any Canadian applicants? I'm on the waitlist Tier 2..wondering if I still stand a chance?

Are they still accepting any Canadian applicants? I'm on the waitlist Tier 2..wondering if I still stand a chance?
From what I understand, they take a max. of 25 Canadians, 20 of them have already paid their deposits. It's very likely there are those who were given acceptances but have not yet paid the deposit, which means the spots are almost full. Having said that, there is a chance that those students may eventually choose to not go to MSUCOM (for whatever reason), even then any Canadians waitlisted in Tier 1 would get priority over you...

let me get this straight...they accept more Canadian students than OOS?

let me get this straight...they accept more Canadian students than OOS?

I also think many accepted OOS may go else where due to the tuition cost, so they probably accept quite a few more than what end up matriculating.

The Canadian numbers are usually fixed because of the funding (scholarship for Canadians), the only exception is DO PhD Canadian students b/c they receive different funding

Accepted!!!! So Pumped. I was accepted Thursday... Just needed a few days to let it sink in...I cant decide between the Detroit and East Lansing Campus. Who was the user that is at the Detroit Campus? I would like to get in touch with them! Again so excited

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted!!!! So Pumped. I was accepted Thursday... Just needed a few days to let it sink in...I cant decide between the Detroit and East Lansing Campus. Who was the user that is at the Detroit Campus? I would like to get in touch with them! Again so excited
Congrats mate! Best of luck :)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

@DaddyBex28

Congrats!! When did you interview??

Am Canadian, still waiting on a reply after interviewing on Oct 23!

I hope I get a good call soon!
From what I understand, they take a max. of 25 Canadians, 20 of them have already paid their deposits. It's very likely there are those who were given acceptances but have not yet paid the deposit, which means the spots are almost full. Having said that, there is a chance that those students may eventually choose to not go to MSUCOM (for whatever reason), even then any Canadians waitlisted in Tier 1 would get priority over you...

Am Canadian, still waiting on a reply after interviewing on Oct 23!

I hope I get a good call soon!

Canadian. Interviewed Nov. 5th there were 2 other Canadians that also interviewed on that day that I know of... Do you know of any other Canadians that interviewed and have yet to receive a decision? Who knows maybe seat deposits = acceptances and we will get the last 5 seats lol.

is there any point in still submitting a secondary here?

It's definitely getting later in the cycle but it only took about 10 days for me to get an interview invite and they expect to be sending out II's until mid-january so if you see yourself going there I would still apply! Are you in-state?

It's definitely getting later in the cycle but it only took about 10 days for me to get an interview invite and they expect to be sending out II's until mid-january so if you see yourself going there I would still apply! Are you in-state?

Thanks. And OOS

Well again, if you could actually see yourself going there (it is pretty high tuition for OOS students) then go for it! There is definitely a chance still :)

Thanks man. Just submitted :)

88K OOS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watt

:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

Would love some feedback about an issue I've been worried about. Not sure if it's the right place for it but if anyone knows anything that can help I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'm a Canadian applicant; when I was accepted in October I was told that MSUCOM had recently gone a change where, beyond 2016, graduates will be considered as having attended an international medical school - not a U.S. medical school. I emailed later asking if there was a reason behind this change, and if there is any chance MSUCOM will return to its original status, but I didn't get a reply back. I am assuming this will mean more competition if I apply for an allopathic residency position within the U.S. (aside from facing allopaths I would also be facing international med students)?

I was also told that what this means as a Canadian is, after completing my residency in the U.S., if I I wanted to return to Canada I would continue to be treated as an international medical graduate (not a U.S. medical graduate). Are any Canadian students concerned about this?

I was advised by MSUCOM to look into the CaRMS (Canadian Residency Matching Service) website, where MSUCOM is listed as an "approved non-Canadian medical school." Does anyone know what this means exactly?

MSUCOM is my top choice and after attending several tours I am certain it is the school for me. I'm just very concerned that these facts could pose greater issues later down the line as a Canadian. By some, I was told not to worry as long as I plan on pursuing a primary care residency. I aspire to become a psychiatrist so I'm not sure what my odds are. Again, not sure if it's the right place to bombard with all these questions, but I've had little luck talking with MSUCOM and limited information from their end, and was wondering what other Canadian students thought about this.

Thank you!

Would love some feedback about an issue I've been worried about. Not sure if it's the right place for it but if anyone knows anything that can help I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'm a Canadian applicant; when I was accepted in October I was told that MSUCOM had recently gone a change where, beyond 2016, graduates will be considered as having attended an international medical school - not a U.S. medical school. I emailed later asking if there was a reason behind this change, and if there is any chance MSUCOM will return to its original status, but I didn't get a reply back. I am assuming this will mean more competition if I apply for an allopathic residency position within the U.S. (aside from facing allopaths I would also be facing international med students)?

I was also told that what this means as a Canadian is, after completing my residency in the U.S., if I I wanted to return to Canada I would continue to be treated as an international medical graduate (not a U.S. medical graduate). Are any Canadian students concerned about this?

I was advised by MSUCOM to look into the CaRMS (Canadian Residency Matching Service) website, where MSUCOM is listed as an "approved non-Canadian medical school." Does anyone know what this means exactly?

MSUCOM is my top choice and after attending several tours I am certain it is the school for me. I'm just very concerned that these facts could pose greater issues later down the line as a Canadian. By some, I was told not to worry as long as I plan on pursuing a primary care residency. I aspire to become a psychiatrist so I'm not sure what my odds are. Again, not sure if it's the right place to bombard with all these questions, but I've had little luck talking with MSUCOM and limited information from their end, and was wondering what other Canadian students thought about this.

Thank you!
Who told you this? Just curious

Are you saying that if you are Canadian then upon graduation from a US medical school you won't be considered a US med school graduate?

Is anyone else still waiting to hear back after the 10/08 interview?

... I was told that MSUCOM had recently gone a change where, beyond 2016, graduates will be considered as having attended an international medical school - not a U.S. medical school. ...
Yeah, I've never heard that before. I'm not sure who told you that but it sounds patently false.

Edit: So while MSU has not made any changes, it sounds like the Canadian residency matching system has instead made some policy changes. Sorry, I didn't know much about the Canadian system! So, going to Canada for a residency will be more difficult if that was your goal. Basically, doing an ACGME residency (which all programs will be after 2020) at an H1B sponsoring institution in the US is your best bet -- and what the vast majority of Canadian students at DO schools do. As far as I know, graduating from a DO school and completing an ACGME residency does not set you up for any sort of negative treatment in Canada, as all provinces recognize ACGME training for licensure.
http://studentdo.ca/drupal_beta/returning

Last edited:
Is anyone else still waiting to hear back after the 10/08 interview?
Yes I am still waiting to hear back from the 10/08 interview. Hopefully we will hear back this week since its been more than a month since we interviewed.

Yes I am still waiting to hear back from the 10/08 interview. Hopefully we will hear back this week since its been more than a month since we interviewed.

Okay thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one! Definitely hoping for some news this week for the both of us.

I was told that MSUCOM had recently gone a change where, beyond 2016, graduates will be considered as having attended an international medical school - not a U.S. medical school.

Hi there. Canadian here as well. This is what I understand of the current situation. I have no idea what the person meant when they told you that MSUCOM would be considered an 'international' school as opposed to a US school. It is true however that from now onwards all DO students would be classified as international in the CaRMS matches (for residency!) so getting a residency in Canada is waaaay harder than it was before (lol like it wasn't hard enough already). But if you wish to return to Canada after your training, provided that you have the equivalent training years and have passed all your Canadian licencing exams, you would be allowed to work there (of course for as long as the laws don't change again against the DO's in the next decade).

Join these fb groups for Canadians and ask your qs to get more/better responses and to remain updated on the ever-changing laws:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/701664449898035?tsid=0.5914482860825956&source=typeahead
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=266083746765623&tsid=0.7077151415869594&source=typeahead

Hi there. Canadian here as well. This is what I understand of the current situation. I have no idea what the person meant when they told you that MSUCOM would be considered an 'international' school as opposed to a US school. It is true however that from now onwards all DO students would be classified as international in the CaRMS matches (for residency!) so getting a residency in Canada is waaaay harder than it was before (lol like it wasn't hard enough already). But if you wish to return to Canada after your training, provided that you have the equivalent training years and have passed all your Canadian licencing exams, you would be allowed to work there (of course for as long as the laws don't change again against the DO's in the next decade).

Join these fb groups for Canadians and ask your qs to get more/better responses and to remain updated on the ever-changing laws:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/701664449898035?tsid=0.5914482860825956&source=typeahead
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=266083746765623&tsid=0.7077151415869594&source=typeahead

I have come to the same conclusion in my research...if a second opinion helps.

Thank you SpartanWolverine, I-said-doctor, and KNEWGUY! Your responses make a lot of sense and filled in any gaps I was confused with. Can't thank you enough!

Interview Oct 23; waitlisted today via email, Tier 1 (or the 'optimistic' wait list); OOS/ Canadian.

I will be withdrawing my app from here. Best of luck to all those on the wait list and who have yet to hear back! :)

Interview Oct 23; waitlisted today via email, Tier 1 (or the 'optimistic' wait list); OOS/ Canadian.

I will be withdrawing my app from here. Best of luck to all those on the wait list and who have yet to hear back! :)
Best of luck!

Thank you!

I know this was already answered, but just one last point is that this isn't a MSUCOM specific thing. If you attend ANY DO school in the US, you will be considered IMS (the international med school pool) where Canadian residencies are concerned. From what I understand, returning to Canada is difficult, but not impossible. You will indeed need to compete for allopathic residencies, and specifically the ones that will offer you a visa (which narrows the list even more, as if it weren't competitive enough already). And if you specifically want an H1b visa or whatever, then the list is narrowing EVEN MORE.
But the way I see it is, unless you have an MD acceptance that you are turning down for MSUCOM, just take it as MSUCOM is definitely the next best place with respect to your intentions to return to Canada (I'm assuming you want to return to Canada based on your question). This issue is not exclusive to MSUCOM and you're going to face the same issue at any DO school with respect to returning to Canada.

I know this was already answered, but just one last point is that this isn't a MSUCOM specific thing. If you attend ANY DO school in the US, you will be considered IMS (the international med school pool) where Canadian residencies are concerned. From what I understand, returning to Canada is difficult, but not impossible. You will indeed need to compete for allopathic residencies, and specifically the ones that will offer you a visa (which narrows the list even more, as if it weren't competitive enough already). And if you specifically want an H1b visa or whatever, then the list is narrowing EVEN MORE.
But the way I see it is, unless you have an MD acceptance that you are turning down for MSUCOM, just take it as MSUCOM is definitely the next best place with respect to your intentions to return to Canada (I'm assuming you want to return to Canada based on your question). This issue is not exclusive to MSUCOM and you're going to face the same issue at any DO school with respect to returning to Canada.

Thanks for the reply :). The way I was first told about DOs being in the international med school pool made me understand it was MSUCOM-specific, but I realize that's incorrect now.

Canadian. Secondary submitted - Sept 22, II- Oct 12, I- Nov 5, Waitlist- Nov 19. Can anyone provide some insight into what my chances of acceptance are as a Canadian, email said: "we are optimistic that you will be offered a spot in the Class of 2020."

Canadian. Secondary submitted - Sept 22, II- Oct 12, I- Nov 5, Waitlist- Nov 19. Can anyone provide some insight into what my chances of acceptance are as a Canadian, email said: "we are optimistic that you will be offered a spot in the Class of 2020."
I think that's Tier I!

Canadian. put on Tier 2.

Sooo... Ima just assume it aint gonna happen. I am really sad :( Either put on hold, waitlisted, rejected, or silence from everywhere.