Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That seems pretty frustrating...hopefully things have gotten better
This is extremely outdated. Please feel free to ask any specific AZCOM questions and I can comment from a MS4 perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
accepted :) LizzieM score ~ 70
Tough chocie between CCOM and AZCOM! is anyone in the same boat as me?
Best of luck to those who are still waiting! :]
I chose AZCOM over CCOM for sunshine, mountains, and most importantly ... Recorded lectured

Reactions: 2 users
II. I was complete at 1pm today, interview invite 3 hrs later. No joke!
~3.7 cumulative and science. 31 MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
II received Dec. 12 after my file was officially complete on Dec. 3. I submitted everything Nov. 3 but for some reason it took them a month to add my LORs.

Scheduled for Jan. 15th. Any and all advice is greatly welcomed and appreciated.

If anyone is interested in sharing a hotel room, please PM me. I'm a guy, but it doesn't matter to me if you have 1 or 2 X chromosomes. Heck, I'm even willing to sleep on the floor to save money.

Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

How long did it take you guys to get your rotation site preference questionnaire after being accepted? I still haven't gotten mine :owle:

True dat. Are all the AZCOM lectures recorded?
I was led to believe they are by the students I talked with on interview day. Real talk.

How long did it take you guys to get your rotation site preference questionnaire after being accepted? I still haven't gotten mine :owle:

I was led to believe they are by the students I talked with on interview day. Real talk.
Accepted 9/30, got rotation site 11/20

Holy smokes hope2b62a, that's darned near 2 months! All of my precious sites will be saturated by then! :rage: Life can be such a fickle mistress +pity+

Holy smokes hope2b62a, that's darned near 2 months! All of my precious sites will be saturated by then! :rage: Life can be such a fickle mistress +pity+
True, but I think the folks we got accepted a week or so before that got it on the same date so there's no telling...

I don't think they sent it to anyone until Nov 20, so you'd get a better estimate from people accepted after then.

With regards to the quality of the rotations sites, are they basically the same? Should we rank primarily based off where we'd like to live?

@Omppu27 you may want to check the FB page. There are many upperclassmen on their that might better be able to answer the question...also answer more quickly? Search AZCOM 2019

Members don't see this ad :)

EDIT: Sorry, that quote above posted weird, I was replying to the question about recorded lectures.
Current 1st year here, all SECOND year lectures are recorded while MOST first year lectures are recorded. The only department that doesn't record lectures in first year so far is the biochemistry department, they are talking about doing it next year though. As it stands, it doesn't really matter because they have very detailed notes. For instance, we just did an exam today and I got a 96% and attended exactly one lecture. There are a smattering of other small courses like Human Behavior and Intro to Clinical Medicine (required attendance for this one anyway) that don't record in first year either. But by and large, they are either recorded or you don't need to attend anyway due to copious detail in the posted slides. That said, you certainly should at least try to attend lecture for awhile. You may find that it suits your learning style or you need the structure to stay on top of things.

With regards to the quality of the rotations sites, are they basically the same? Should we rank primarily based off where we'd like to live?

I can only repeat what MS3's and 4's have told me; Choose your site based off of where you want to live because quality tends to be largely the same across the board. Takotsubo is a 4th year I believe, he would know better than me. I chose West Valley because it is where I live and I have a family that I don't want to move around too much. Despite the rare, disgruntled poster on these forums in years past, I have heard mostly very good things about the rotations so far.

Yes, primarily choose your rotation site as the place you want to live or the place that will be the cheapest for you to live. All your family is in Orange County, CA --> choose LA, Have a partner in Chicago, choose Chicago?

If your family/friends are not in a region, then I strongly suggest staying in Phoenix for MS3. 1.) You don't have to move. 2.) You are near the school. 3.) Tons of excellent rotations and wards rotations to choose from. As for MS4, you can do ALL of your rotations where ever you want. (Colorado, New Mexico, Philadelphia, Seattle, NYC --> literally where ever you want!) You can also choose to do all your rotations in your assigned rotation site. (I did a couple away and the rest I stayed in the Phoenix area.)

Reactions: 1 users
East Valley stand up!!

Windy City baby! Bright lights, big city!

Glad ya'll heard back before the holidays.

To applicants who have already interviewed: Were there other applicants being interviewed alongside you or were you the only interviewee in the room?

To applicants who have already interviewed: Were there other applicants being interviewed alongside you or were you the only interviewee in the room?

Only you in the room. It's you, two faculty, and one 4th year student. At least that was my setup.

Anyone with sub 29 MCAT scores getting IIs yet? I know they had their policy during the first half of the cycle, wondering if and when they'll start dipping into the pool of applicants around the 27-28 range.

Anyone with sub 29 MCAT scores getting IIs yet? I know they had their policy during the first half of the cycle, wondering if and when they'll start dipping into the pool of applicants around the 27-28 range.
I have a 29 and am still sitting on a hold. Hopefully I will get an interview from this school!

29 and nothing, not even hold. I was complete late though (early December). Every time I open my mailbox, I'm scared that a rejection letter will be there. Ugh. I wish they sent emails instead.

received an II just this morning, Dates available: 1/8, 1/9, 1/13, 2/6, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/16

any suggestions for those who received a letter that informed us that we were placed on a pre-interview hold? I would imagine that a letter of intent would be helpful.

I'm right there with you. I was placed on pre-interview hold a WHILE back and still haven't heard anything. I'd like to second the request for some advice from individuals who have been here before. Complete early July.

received an II just this morning, Dates available: 1/8, 1/9, 1/13, 2/6, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/16
Nice! looks like maybe they are ready to interview a lot of people! I wish I was one of them. 28 MCAT and haven't heard anything yet!

I have been complete since mid September and have heard nothing also. :(

Nice! looks like maybe they are ready to interview a lot of people! I wish I was one of them. 28 MCAT and haven't heard anything yet!
hang in there, hope you hear back soon!

II JUST NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
3.4/30 complete in late November!
now I have to pick between 1/9 vs 2/9 ....

Just received my first II of the season (really late applications)
OOS, ~3.3/31, complete 12/24, II 1/7 (@ 4AM EST, no less)

Scheduled my interview for Monday, February 9th. I'll be landing in Phoenix on Sunday, February 8th, in case anyone else is going to be in town early and wants to hang out.

considering going to the interview for this school. besides the helpful faculty and reputation, is there any other reason to consider AZCOM?

considering going to the interview for this school. besides the helpful faculty and reputation, is there any other reason to consider AZCOM?
If you're from OOS, climate might be a factor...

Just received my first II of the season (really late applications)
OOS, ~3.3/31, complete 12/24, II 1/7 (@ 4AM EST, no less)

Scheduled my interview for Monday, February 9th. I'll be landing in Phoenix on Sunday, February 8th, in case anyone else is going to be in town early and wants to hang out.
Congratulations on your II! I scheduled mine for 2/9 and flying in on 2/8 as well!! Lets hang out! this will be my second interview! :D
Where are you coming from?

Congratulations on your II! I scheduled mine for 2/9 and flying in on 2/8 as well!! Lets hang out! this will be my second interview! :D
Where are you coming from?

Thanks! Congratulations on your II, as well!

We should definitely hang out! I'm flying in from the northeast (don't want to be too specific for privacy reasons) and I'm scheduled to land in Phoenix around 3:00PM local time. I'm pretty happy about getting to leave the snow behind for a day or two during the coldest part of the year :D. What about you?

Since I'm flying in early and not leaving until really late Monday, I'm planning on calling the office and asking about places to visit while I'm there. Might as well make the most of it! We can exchange contact info/facebook over PM.

Does anyone have a recommendation on which hotel stay at? I got the hotel list in the interview email and I was leaning towards Drury-Inn, any reason I shouldn't reserve there over somewhere else?

Interview request this morning! Only February interview spots available now.

I'm right there with you. I was placed on pre-interview hold a WHILE back and still haven't heard anything. I'd like to second the request for some advice from individuals who have been here before. Complete early July.

Hi, I was also a pre-interview hold. I received an interview in late april/may and was accepted in June. I wrote a letter of update which included a graduate degree and some more shadowing. I can think of 10-15 other people from my class with a similar story. Best of luck, don't give up hope, keep working hard!

Real quick other great things about AZCOM: high board pass rates and well above average comlex scores (level 1, less so on level 2, but still above avg if I recall), excellent facilities, great rotations with coordinators who set up all of your MS3 rotations and aid you with MS4 rotations, ability to do a ton of wards based rotations if you desire, an active campus with many activities (clubs, intramural sports, lots of opportunities to volunteer with the community), decent research on campus and the ability to hook up with research in the community (Mayo, TGen, ASU, and else where if you are motivated), an active student-run free clinic where you can see patients as a first year and beyond, great match list, recorded lectures...

Honestly, our faculty are pretty freaking amazing, so yeah, that is a huge benefit. I came from a huge undergraduate institution where finding time with the faculty was difficult, here that is not the case, pre-clinical and clinical faculty are top-notch.

FYI, the admissions committee is very generous with regards to extending the deposit deadline for accepted students. I called and got a two week extension without any trouble.

FYI, the admissions committee is very generous with regards to extending the deposit deadline for accepted students. I called and got a two week extension without any trouble.
Good to know. I paid that thing so fast I got wallet burn :D

Curious, did they ever go below their 29 mcat cut off for interviews?

Got an interview invite last week, going in on the 12th of Feb, any one got any idea how many spots are left?