Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you have your interview on Thursday? The admissions said they will meet next Thursday with results possibly out on Friday. Probably have to wait one more week.

Yeah I thought they said that they're gonna review all the apps from this week and then start making decisions on Thursday.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Current AZCOM MSII here. I made a new account to ensure my anonymity so I can give you honest advice.

This school is very expensive, so you need to be positive you will be happy with what you're buying before you sign decades of future paychecks away for it.

If you'd prefer to watch recorded lectures from home, don't go here.
This year is the first year where all MSII basic sciences lectures are being recorded and made available on our blackboard accounts. This is awesome for my studying style, as it enables me to watch the lectures in an environment and at a speed that I'm best able to learn the material. If something is confusing, I can play that part again. Many students, including myself, are not going to live lectures anymore because of this. The faculty are taking it personally, and have decided to withhold certain parts of the lecture from being recorded. These include case studies, practice questions, and probably some other stuff too but I'm not there to know what that is. We are getting the sense that the faculty are less concerned with providing their students the tools that help them to learn the material than they are with attendance numbers in lecture. Most med schools have been recording and posting lectures online for years now. AZCOM is behind.

If you don't want to have to bust your ass for A's, don't go here.
This school is NOT pass/fail. Most med schools are. When you get a B or a C in a class, it shows up on your transcript and eventually your applications. However, this could be a good thing when being compared to MD residency applicants (if you get good grades). You'll have A's while they'll have all P's.

If you like a big school feel, do go here.
This school is expanding extremely quickly. Some would argue too quickly. This year is the first year the vet school is open. The library and cafeteria are both overcrowded and understaffed. The administration is aware of this problem, so I would think this would resolve within the next few years once they fix it.

If you want to do ward-based rotations third year, sign up for the Chicago location, or don't go here.
Read up on the difference between ward-based and preceptor-based rotations. The majority of AZCOM clinical education is preceptor based, unless you're one of the ~20 students going to Chicago third year.

If you are unsure about OMM, do go here.
I was wary about the utility of OMM when I first got here. The OMM department physicians are super down to earth. They realize OMM isn't for everyone, but make it easy to understand for everyone. You will be tested on it after-all. For those who ARE sure about OMM, the physicians will bend over backwards for you to help you excel. They are very intelligent and experienced physicians with contacts all over the country.

If you want to be on a campus, do go here.
The campus is beautiful all year round. They spend a lot of time and money keeping it beautiful.

If you want more than 4 weeks of no class to study for boards after MSII, don't go here.

If you want 3 extra weeks during your first quarter as an MSI to get adjusted, do go here.
The first years start 3 weeks earlier than the rest of the classes. It helped me adjust to the crazy workload. I appreciated it.

Good luck with your decision! It's a life-changing one!

Reactions: 4 users
If you'd prefer to watch recorded lectures from home, don't go here.

During my interview, I was assured by three separate students that all lectures are recorded. They bragged how nice it is to study from home or their favorite spot in town/campus. Is this because they haven't yet encountered 2nd year professors? Or perhaps they find the withheld information not worth going to class? Or perhaps someone from class is dropboxing said materials? Or maybe they're unaware they exist entirely? Should I shut up yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you have your interview on Thursday? The admissions said they will meet next Thursday with results possibly out on Friday. Probably have to wait one more week.

Yeah I thought they said that they're gonna review all the apps from this week and then start making decisions on Thursday.

Me gusta. Thanks for clarifying guys, sometimes I get a little... squirrely.

During my interview, I was assured by three separate students that all lectures are recorded. They bragged how nice it is to study from home or their favorite spot in town/campus. Is this because they haven't yet encountered 2nd year professors? Or perhaps they find the withheld information not worth going to class? Or perhaps someone from class is dropboxing said materials? Or maybe they're unaware they exist entirely? Should I shut up yet?

I got the same impression from the students as you did.

Oh the lectures are indeed all recorded and posted. It is the instructors' hope that we will go to class AND access the lectures afterwards. If you don't go to lectures the faculty is FAR less willing to help you if you have any questions, citing that you should have gone to lecture. So you are basically shunned for studying from home.

I'll just throw in my first year perspective on the whole lecture thing. We first years don't have all classes recorded yet. ALL anatomy/histology lectures are indeed recorded and apparently all of the physiology (just started this quarter) lectures are recorded as well. Biochemistry department played around with it and posted a couple of lectures last quarter. I don't know about spring quarter yet. According to the student government meetings, the school says it will cost 150K to get the equipment needed to record all 1st year lectures (in addition to 2nd year) and that they are working on it. Take that for whatever its worth. I think we have great faculty here and I love their willingness to go the extra mile and help the students, but they do certainly have an issue with low class attendance. They put a lot of effort into their lectures and it shows, so I can see why they might feel slighted if people aren't showing up. That said, the first year faculty don't punish us for it. At least attendance isn't required, and it should be noted that a few years ago hardly any lectures (if any) were recorded, so progress has been made.

I know quite a few people in my class that prefer to attend lecture, it seems we are getting a reputation for being full of gunners hah. Some people need that structured lecture format to stay on track and keep focused. I rarely go to class, recorded or otherwise, because I find it to be a soul sucking waste of time, despite the lecturers being top-notch (you can be so much more efficient by listening to lectures at 1.5 speed at a time of your choosing!). We are paying the school a whole lot of money and you have to take responsibility for your education and learn the best way you can, even if it unfortunately upsets some professors. The lack of recorded lectures for biochemistry doesn't really matter because their handouts and powerpoints are very detailed. I rarely attended class after the first 3 weeks last quarter and I ended up with an A-. Aside from MM2400, I have only heard positive things about the 2nd year recorded lectures, but if the faculty are holding stuff back well, hopefully those 2nd year shenanigans will be cleared up by the time I get there :D.

Last edited:
I'll just throw in my first year perspective on the whole lecture thing. We first years don't have all classes recorded yet. ALL anatomy/histology lectures are indeed recorded and apparently all of the physiology (just started this quarter) lectures are recorded as well. Biochemistry department played around with it and posted a couple of lectures last quarter. I don't know about spring quarter yet. According to the student government meetings, the school says it will cost 150K to get the equipment needed to record all 1st year lectures (in addition to 2nd year) and that they are working on it. Take that for whatever its worth. I think we have great faculty here and I love their willingness to go the extra mile and help the students, but they do certainly have an issue with low class attendance. They put a lot of effort into their lectures and it shows, so I can see why they might feel slighted if people aren't showing up. That said, the first year faculty don't punish us for it. At least attendance isn't required, and it should be noted that a few years ago hardly any lectures (if any) were recorded, so progress has been made.

I know quite a few people in my class that prefer to attend lecture, it seems we are getting a reputation for being full of gunners hah. Some people need that structured lecture format to stay on track and keep focused. I rarely go to class, recorded or otherwise, because I find it to be a soul sucking waste of time, despite the lecturers being top-notch (you can be so much more efficient by listening to lectures at 1.5 speed at a time of your choosing!). We are paying the school a whole lot of money and you have to take responsibility for your education and learn the best way you can, even if it unfortunately upsets some professors. The lack of recorded lectures for biochemistry doesn't really matter because their handouts and powerpoints are very detailed. I rarely attended class after the first 3 weeks last quarter and I ended up with an A-. Aside from MM2400, I have only heard positive things about the 2nd year recorded lectures, but if the faculty are holding stuff back well, hopefully those 2nd year shenanigans will be cleared up by the time I get there :D.

Thanks for this comment. If I may ask, what seems to be the consensus about the grading system? I got the impression from the interviews and students that it hasn't fostered a gunner type of environment. Would you say that's true?

I don't even remotely feel like this is a gunner environment. I feel like everyone helps each other out a ton and it is a very cooperative atmosphere. People are always sharing study strategies, study guides, helpful instructional videos, etc.. Each class seems to acquire a certain reputation that is probably only correct for a small portion of the class. The third years have a small party element that gets into a lot of professional issues. The 2nd years have a rep for being very whiny LOL (this is coming from 2nd and 3rd years). Apparently, our class is taking on a gunner rep but I really don't see it at all...some people see the term "gunner" as someone who will do anything to get that A, up to and including screwing over you classmates to do it. Haven't seen ANY of that here, not even a hint.

Other people see the term as being indicative of someone who is ambitious and hard working and will put forth a LOT of effort to get that A. Plenty of those types in my class, and I see that as a good thing. Except for when you feel like you worked so hard and did so incredibly well on a test only to find that you were barely above the class average. That said, the majority of the people I have gotten to know in my class are pretty laid back, I see the studentbody as a definite strength at this school. It is one of the things that really impressed me when I interviewed here and I am happy to say that I was not disappointed, go with that initial impression you have of the school because it is probably correct. It has been for me and I had a selection of schools to go to.

Reactions: 1 user
Some people complain about the grading system being A B C as opposed to P/F like most schools. I always felt the P/F thing while maintaining internal ranking is completely disingenuous and pointless. All second year lectures are recorded except OMM. As far as profs not including certain things in the recorded lecture, the primary offender is 1 class, and it looks like case study material that has no unique material and no real impact on your ability to perform in the class (I never went to that class, ended with 97%). @Spindrift11B4 your classes rep has certainly reached cult-gunner status, someone mentioned your class sucks with biochem. The 2nd years deserve the rep for being super whiny, embarassingly so - see posts by MM2400.

Some people complain about the grading system being A B C as opposed to P/F like most schools. I always felt the P/F thing while maintaining internal ranking is completely disingenuous and pointless. All second year lectures are recorded except OMM. As far as profs not including certain things in the recorded lecture, the primary offender is 1 class, and it looks like case study material that has no unique material and no real impact on your ability to perform in the class (I never went to that class, ended with 97%). @Spindrift11B4 your classes rep has certainly reached cult-gunner status, someone mentioned your class sucks with biochem. The 2nd years deserve the rep for being super whiny, embarassingly so - see posts by MM2400.

Ahaha, cult-gunner status huh? Not sure how we acquired that rep but there must be some truth to it. I know I have had to work hard with biochem but the class averages are still high 80's. Biochem is the class that I felt like I did so well on this one particular test and ended up getting a 93%...class average was a 91%. Tell me this, is it normal in your class for people to be all, "Oh man that test was so hard, I'll be happy if I get over 80 but right now I'm just hoping I passed," (then later that day, the same guy) "Oh yeah I did alright I guess, got a 91." A lot of people do that, everyone acts like they bombed the test and then the class average tells an entirely different story.

Ahaha, cult-gunner status huh? Not sure how we acquired that rep but there must be some truth to it. I know I have had to work hard with biochem but the class averages are still high 80's. Biochem is the class that I felt like I did so well on this one particular test and ended up getting a 93%...class average was a 91%. Tell me this, is it normal in your class for people to be all, "Oh man that test was so hard, I'll be happy if I get over 80 but right now I'm just hoping I passed," (then later that day, the same guy) "Oh yeah I did alright I guess, got a 91." A lot of people do that, everyone acts like they bombed the test and then the class average tells an entirely different story.
I'm out of touch with my class, but I do hear that kind of talk coming out of exams or on mandatory lectures after an exam sometimes. It's the neurotic nature of Medikalus studicus I suppose.

Any recent II's? In state but applied late. 28 MCAT.....I have another accept but would really like to stay in AZ

Members don't see this ad :)

I hate that kinda stuff with a passion... But who really cares what the average is if there isn't a curve? Does this play into class rank?

Just declined my acceptance and I hope that it goes to one of you!!!!

I hate that kinda stuff with a passion... But who really cares what the average is if there isn't a curve? Does this play into class rank?

Yeah it effects class rank but it really isn't important in the grand scheme of things. According to surveys and hearsay, residency directors rarely place any importance on pre-clinical grades and class rank anyway. I can't speak from experience but these things seem to be important only for someone wanting a highly competitive residency, for most people it doesn't factor in to the equation much. The only reason I want to be comfortably above the class average is because it can be a sort of subjective measuring device for how well you are doing overall. And maybe a little bit of pride, what can I say? But this is medical school, you should expect some highly competitive people and be able to thrive or at least do well in such an environment. Competitive does not mean cutthroat though, those are two entirely different things and I don't see any of that here. I would term it as a very cooperative atmosphere, which is one of the reasons I chose to go here.

Accepted! Interview 12/5, OOS, 3.7cGPA, 3.6sGPA, 27 (11/6/10), 32 retake (12/8/12)

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! Did they give you a call or did you just check the online portal?

Thank you!

I checked the portal. I don't know when it actually went up since this was the first time I have checked since I interviewed on Friday. I actually wasn't expecting anything to be there since they said they wouldn't meet until Thursday, but I went and looked just cause I was bored at work...

Thank you!

I checked the portal. I don't know when it actually went up since this was the first time I have checked since I interviewed on Friday. I actually wasn't expecting anything to be there since they said they wouldn't meet until Thursday, but I went and looked just cause I was bored at work...
Thanks! Guess it's more waiting for me. Hope they will have some results by Friday.

Just a note for others who get accepted: if you don't get a call, don't freak out. I got a follow-up letter about two weeks after my portal changed and never got a call. ;)

Does anyone have any idea about how many seats are filled out already?

Called the admissions today and was informed I am on the alternate list and probably won't hear back from them until May. Does anyone know how the alternate list works?

I interviewed 12/01 and received an acceptance call around noon today!!!!! I haven't been checking the website so I am not sure when my status actually changed..

The interview was so relaxed, and I really enjoyed it. I heard others were asked some "out there" questions, but I was not. The day overall was definitely not as long and drawn out as some of the others. Cafeteria food was good, too! The campus is just gorgeous.

I am now faced with the decision of Western COMP vs AZCOM. The most important to me, by far, is the quality of rotation sites and residency spots. I am just really starting to understand the whole process, so I apologize if I come off as ignorant or naive.

I like that AZCOM has the option of doing rotations in LA. (I am from socal). But I have also heard people say those rotations are not exactly the best?? Of course, Western rotations would be in the socal area, as well as other places.. My concern with Western is that I spoke to a PGY1 and he said that the school was losing many of its residency spots. He stated not being able to go into emergency medicine as he originally intended, and went with the family med route instead.

Now, I have not decided what type of residency I will be aiming for.. I can't even decide on a school yet! My focus will likely be determined throughout third year rotations, meaning I prefer the school that will provide me with substantial rotations in a large variety of departments.

Any and all advice is totally welcome. The best part about this is that after I do decide, I will be leaving a spot open for someone on the waitlist.. ! :nod:

Sorry for rambling. Thanks for reading. Congrats to all and to those still waiting, don't lose heart. Good things will come!

So hey, I think I was accepted? When I click on the "Accepted Student Checklist" there's some crap in there that wasn't there before. Like that Beauty and the Beast song. Can I crack the champagne?

That's what I saw first. A letter arrived maybe a week later. It sounds like champaign time :)

There's 169 members of the FB group so far but that's hardly definitive...
PM or post the facebook link, por favor?

That's what I saw first. A letter arrived maybe a week later. It sounds like champaign time :)
GAAHHHHH!!! I feel light-headed. I can't believe I get to join you guys under the sun!!

I interviewed 12/01 and received an acceptance call around noon today!!!!! ...

I am now faced with the decision of Western COMP vs AZCOM. The most important to me, by far, is the quality of rotation sites and residency spots...

Grats! You might try emailing AZCOM for more information on their rotation sites. A few weeks ago they started letting accepted students choose a 3rd year rotation site, and as part of this they sent out a document full of information on the various sites (ie geographical areas) as well as information on where grads get residencies.

Hey Everyone,

Just received an acceptance offer from AZCOM yesterday. I was just wondering if anyone knows any information about clinical rotations for 3rd and 4th year. I remember they said they have placement sites throughout AZ, California, and Chicago. Just a few questions:
1. Are the sites competitive? Is it first come first serve?
2. When do you find out exactly where you'll be for 3rd and 4th year? When you matriculate or towards the end of 2nd year?

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

Just received an acceptance offer from AZCOM yesterday. I was just wondering if anyone knows any information about clinical rotations for 3rd and 4th year. I remember they said they have placement sites throughout AZ, California, and Chicago. Just a few questions:
2. When do you find out exactly where you'll be for 3rd and 4th year? When you matriculate or towards the end of 2nd year?

The students I talked to said CA and Phoenix sites are the competitive ones (FWIW.)
I already know where I'm assigned. They told us a few days later.

Hey Everyone,

I received an email with a questionnaire linked about 2-3 weeks after my acceptance. I chose LA as my first pick and they responded confirming I had got this selection within a couple days. I will be declining my offer of acceptance though so hopefully one of you guys will get my spot. :)

The students I talked to said CA and Phoenix sites are the competitive ones (FWIW.)
I already know where I'm assigned. They told us a few days later.

I'm new on this site. Not sure if I'm replying correctly...

Thanks for the info @hope2b62a & @husky92 . Sounds like its first come first serve then. I'd really like to be in Chicago, and I know there are only ~20 spots open. Eeep. Does anyone know if the clinical rotations are the same as CCOM students since the schools are linked?

How's the interview turn around rate for this school? Same as CCOM?

Thanks! What I meant to ask was if you're offered an interview, what is your chance of getting in? 2/3 like CCOM?

Thanks! What I meant to ask was if you're offered an interview, what is your chance of getting in? 2/3 like CCOM?

I would think at least this. At my interview, the students we talked to told us that if we were interviewing, the chances of us getting in were very likely. They didn't give me a number, but they were confident in a 70% minimum acceptance post-interview and stressed that I shouldn't stress it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Just withdrew my acceptance from here. Hope my spot goes to one of you guys!

I'm new on this site. Not sure if I'm replying correctly...

Thanks for the info @hope2b62a & @husky92 . Sounds like its first come first serve then. I'd really like to be in Chicago, and I know there are only ~20 spots open. Eeep. Does anyone know if the clinical rotations are the same as CCOM students since the schools are linked?

Rotation sites are indeed first come first serve so the earlier you are able to get your selection going the better. However, the school is completely fine if you want to switch sites with someone else, a lot of people have been doing that. Some people decide they don't want Modesto and find someone in West valley that wants to switch, or from Chicago to San Diego, etc.. I wish I could tell you more solid info on the Chicago sites (I'm only first year), but I have consistently heard that they are highly rated sites. I have also heard that they rotate mostly at one hospital for third year but I can't verify that. AZCOM is working on rearranging schedules right now to secure one extra rotation slot at the start of summer that opens up more ward based rotations so that's probably good...I'm not sure if the trade-offs will be worth it, but we will see.

Pretty junior when it comes to activity on this site. I interviewed on 12/5 and was accepted 12/10 via phone call. I know how nerve racking it is (having just gone through it) so if anyone has questions I'd be happy to answer in any level of detail, otherwise best of luck to all!

Pretty junior when it comes to activity on this site. I interviewed on 12/5 and was accepted 12/10 via phone call. I know how nerve racking it is (having just gone through it) so if anyone has questions I'd be happy to answer in any level of detail, otherwise best of luck to all!
Being junior just means you're able to exercise self control...it's nothing to be ashamed of! ;)

accepted :) LizzieM score ~ 70
Tough chocie between CCOM and AZCOM! is anyone in the same boat as me?
Best of luck to those who are still waiting! :]

ecstatic from my recent acceptance! but...would any current azcom students care to comment on any of the statements made here? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/azcom-dirty-little-secrets.403336/
i know the post is from quite a long time ago but i think that's all the more reason to see how the changes of bigger class size and rotation sites have actually taken place and impacted the students

ecstatic from my recent acceptance! but...would any current azcom students care to comment on any of the statements made here? http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/azcom-dirty-little-secrets.403336/
i know the post is from quite a long time ago but i think that's all the more reason to see how the changes of bigger class size and rotation sites have actually taken place and impacted the students

That seems pretty frustrating...hopefully things have gotten better