Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those that interviewed and were accepted, how did you prepare? I have an upcoming interview here soon and would like to know. How long were your responses? I'd appreciate any tips

Members don't see this ad.

For those that interviewed and were accepted, how did you prepare? I have an upcoming interview here soon and would like to know. How long were your responses? I'd appreciate any tips
Know your essays, know osteopathy. Have enough sleep the night before, keep yourself hydrated throughout the interview day.

Reactions: 1 users
Found an II yesterday on the app portal but no email

OOS, 3.6 cGPA, 32 MCAT

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who has already interviewed elaborate a little on the flow of the interview day? Will I receive a welcome packet in the morning with my precise interview time, etc? Thanks in advance!

I asked this question in the CCOM forum and thought I would ask you guys as well. I just got an interview at ATSU-SOMA but have heard nothing form AZCOM even though both secondaries were complete around the same day. I currently live on the East coast and it would be a b*tch to travel to Arizona twice. I know it's worth it for interviews, but obviously I would prefer to kill two birds with one stone or at least get a rejection already so I don't feel guilty scheduling an interview and having to come back a month later. So. My question is, do you think AZCOM would accept an "in the area" email? I tried to ask CCOM about it and the woman on the phone was less than friendly. I don't want to piss anyone off, but have you seen the price of airplane tickets?? Let me know what you guys think.

I asked this question in the CCOM forum and thought I would ask you guys as well. I just got an interview at ATSU-SOMA but have heard nothing form AZCOM even though both secondaries were complete around the same day. I currently live on the East coast and it would be a b*tch to travel to Arizona twice. I know it's worth it for interviews, but obviously I would prefer to kill two birds with one stone or at least get a rejection already so I don't feel guilty scheduling an interview and having to come back a month later. So. My question is, do you think AZCOM would accept an "in the area" email? I tried to ask CCOM about it and the woman on the phone was less than friendly. I don't want to piss anyone off, but have you seen the price of airplane tickets?? Let me know what you guys think.

I've seen other people post about this. I understand that applying/traveling for medical school is expensive, but to me it comes off in poor taste to ask a school "for an interview" not knowing if you are qualified/they like you or whatever. If you're calling about a simple tour, I'm sure they'd accommodate you.

Can anyone who has already interviewed elaborate a little on the flow of the interview day? Will I receive a welcome packet in the morning with my precise interview time, etc? Thanks in advance!

Packet in the morning, presentations about the school/curriculum. Then they'll move onto A. interviews B. Tours (depending on which group youre in a/b, youll tour or interview, and then switch while the other group does the remaining activity.) Followed by lunch, and then some other closing stuff. Chill day, dress well, sleep well, and stay hydrated.

Thanks for the advice! Just out of curiosity, are the A and B groups split by alphabetical order? Or is it random?

Thanks for the advice! Just out of curiosity, are the A and B groups split by alphabetical order? Or is it random?

Alphabetical

Alphabetical

Yup. I was worried I would be sweaty/annoyed after a tour in 100+ degree weather, but it was manageable, even with a suit. I've never experienced a "dry heat" so it wasn't too bad. Goodluck!

Thanks. Were your answers short for each question i.e. 30 seconds - 1 minute? I'm a bit worried because I usually don't like to ramble and like to keep my comments short so long as I answer the questions.

The interview is ~30 mins. I felt like I rambled, but I didn't ramble about meaningless stuff and details, more about experiences and how/why I enjoyed them. Mine was EXTREMELY conversational (I know some people here disagree, but it really just depends on your panel). One panel had a guy who grilled everyone in their group, so just be ready. Another panel described their experiences as "alright" and I felt extremely content with mine. Just be ready for it and stay calm regardless of the panel.

The interview is ~30 mins. I felt like I rambled, but I didn't ramble about meaningless stuff and details, more about experiences and how/why I enjoyed them. Mine was EXTREMELY conversational (I know some people here disagree, but it really just depends on your panel). One panel had a guy who grilled everyone in their group, so just be ready. Another panel described their experiences as "alright" and I felt extremely content with mine. Just be ready for it and stay calm regardless of the panel.

If your interview went exactly as you described, and it was very conversational with you explaining your experiences, then you might get accepted.

Not giving false hope here. I could be wrong though.

If your interview went exactly as you described, and it was very conversational with you explaining your experiences, then you might get accepted.

Not giving false hope here. I could be wrong though.

I did get an acceptance. I also believe we interviewed the same day, on 8/24.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yo, AZCOM became my first med school acceptance yesterday and it's somewhat starting to sink in... WTF.

If I can do it you all can do it too, don't give up!!!

Interviewed 8/31/15 heard back in ~1 week. Best of Luck Everyone! **mic drop**

Reactions: 10 users
Yo, AZCOM became my first med school acceptance yesterday and it's somewhat starting to sink in... WTF.

Thing is... AZCOM is a pretty good school too.

I've seen other people post about this. I understand that applying/traveling for medical school is expensive, but to me it comes off in poor taste to ask a school "for an interview" not knowing if you are qualified/they like you or whatever. If you're calling about a simple tour, I'm sure they'd accommodate you.

As a counter point, this is a somewhat common practice for allopathic applications from what I hear, and schools are generally accommodating and usually give you a decision one way or the other. I don't think it's in poor taste at all if you tell them that you'll be traveling from far away and if at all possible you'd like a decision on your file in time for your visit.

Anyone know how common it is to get off of the interview waitlist? Just got put on hold today...

Anyone know how common it is to get off of the interview waitlist? Just got put on hold today...

apparently ccom and azcom don't interview people <28/29 mcat until january, so if you are part of that you need to be more patient.

apparently ccom and azcom don't interview people <28/29 mcat until january, so if you are part of that you need to be more patient.
This is super helpful. Now I can at least stop wondering...we shall see if I hear from them come January. Thanks!

To all those who've interviewed already, does the 3-person panel interview 1 student at a time, or group of students at a time?

To all those who've interviewed already, does the 3-person panel interview 1 student at a time, or group of students at a time?

One student at a time, though I do agree the way they word it is confusing.

does anyone know what is class of 2019 class profile?

As a counter point, this is a somewhat common practice for allopathic applications from what I hear, and schools are generally accommodating and usually give you a decision one way or the other. I don't think it's in poor taste at all if you tell them that you'll be traveling from far away and if at all possible you'd like a decision on your file in time for your visit.

Ah alright, I guess I wasn't too familiar with this. But I feel like that could go one of two ways (either you're over qualified - they'll accommodate you or you're average, and they'll outright just toss your file at that point, rather than hold it for a later review). I'm no adcom though, so who knows.

Yep i got an email regarding the waitlist. My app was completed on Aug 17th.

Talking like a boss. That you bro?

Reactions: 1 users
OOS
sGPA = 3.4
cGPA = 3.8
500 MCAT
300+ hours community service
200+ hours research

LOL I'm not even getting a hold or waitlist email considering that I have been completed since end of July. I don't know whether that's good or bad. Perhaps, my app was so crap that it doesn't even warrant some electronic ink. Prepare for the worst but hoping for the best.

LOL I'm not even getting a hold or waitlist email considering that I have been completed since end of July. I don't know whether that's good or bad. Perhaps, my app was so crap that it doesn't even warrant some electronic ink. Prepare for the worst but hoping for the best.
Same here, no word one way or the other but I was complete a little later than you (around mid august)

Same. Complete July 28th and nothing yet :/

Does anyone know if this school has a 2-part review process? I emailed re an update since I've been complete for almost 2 months, and was told that my app has been reviewed by admissions staff and is currently waiting to be reviewed by the admissions committee. Is this normal? Is the "staff" part just for completeness or a real "first round" review and only a portion get passed on to the adcom?

Does anyone know if this school has a 2-part review process? I emailed re an update since I've been complete for almost 2 months, and was told that my app has been reviewed by admissions staff and is currently waiting to be reviewed by the admissions committee. Is this normal? Is the "staff" part just for completeness or a real "first round" review and only a portion get passed on to the adcom?
I can't say for sure, but admissions departments typically have a full time staff that functions in coordination with a group of faculty/students/etc who volunteer to serve on the admission's committee. It sounds like the staff has approved your app, but the committee member assigned to you has not reviewed it yet. Which is weird because I submitted August 6 and got a II August 12. How was your MCAT score, if you don't mind me asking? I've heard they weigh that especially heavily.

I can't say for sure, but admissions departments typically have a full time staff that functions in coordination with a group of faculty/students/etc who volunteer to serve on the admission's committee. It sounds like the staff has approved your app, but the committee member assigned to you has not reviewed it yet. Which is weird because I submitted August 6 and got a II August 12. How was your MCAT score, if you don't mind me asking? I've heard they weigh that especially heavily.

Thanks so much for your comment - don't mind at all, it's a 31. Stronger than my GPA. I too noticed people who'd submitted much later getting II faster - maybe since my stats are a little split I've not been "fast tracked"? Idk, just postulating aloud.

Thanks so much for your comment - don't mind at all, it's a 31. Stronger than my GPA. I too noticed people who'd submitted much later getting II faster - maybe since my stats are a little split I've not been "fast tracked"? Idk, just postulating aloud.
Hmmmm, well unless you scored real low in one section or something it shouldn't be your MCAT. I would consider calling the office and trying to speak with someone in person. I'm always wary of irritating anyone or seeming pushy or entitled, but at some point you have to weigh that against the very real fact that, while its still early, acceptances are going out and interview spots are filling up. Let us know how it goes.

I'm sure this has been brought up somewhere, but I would like some clarification - this is a closed file, panel interview correct? How long is the interview and how many people are on the panel? Who can we expect to be on the panel? (MDs, Ph Ds, students...). If this info is not available or has already been addressed I apologize.
You're correct - although I think they might have your PS or something like that in front of them. Lasts about 15-20 minutes or so and it's a 3 person panel, usually a student + PhD/Physicians.

Thank you! Wow only 15-20 minutes, that is brief.

there are deviations in the panel. there seems to be a guarantee 1 student but then a mix of phd/physician/counselor for the rest. sometimes there are only 2 people and i read (i forget) that might even be 4, but by far the majority get 3. there is also roughly 5 minutes for you to ask the panel questions. they are quite strict on the max time allotted to the interview.

I'm sure this has been brought up somewhere, but I would like some clarification - this is a closed file, panel interview correct? How long is the interview and how many people are on the panel? Who can we expect to be on the panel? (MDs, Ph Ds, students...). If this info is not available or has already been addressed I apologize.

when I went to my interview they told me they had my whole application in front of them but not my gpa or mcat. its a 3 person panel and I think you always have 1 student and 2 faculty that vary. for me it was a PhD and a DO. my interview was 20 min of them asking me questions then they allotted the last 10 min for me to ask whatever I wanted.