*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The pre-calc doesnt count towards a calculus but it would count towards BCMP GPA as any other math course would

I am not sure which question the OP was asking

Members don't see this ad.

The TMDSAS site says that math other than Calculus and Statistics are considered to be Other Science. I interpreted this to mean it would not be included in the BCPM GPA.

But elsewhere it states "The undergraduate BCPM GPA includes all undergraduate level biology, chemistry, physics and math course work. Included in the BCPM GPA are courses which satisfy the prerequisite course work (excluding English).

Last edited:
The TMDSAS site says that math other than Calculus and Statistics are considered to be Other Science. I interpreted this to mean it would not be included in the BCPM GPA.

Well that is confusing since it different that what AACOMAS and AMCAS do for GPA. But unlike the others, TMDSAS does both verification prereq evaluation (i think). And frankly reading the instructions I am still not sure if that is what they mean (and I very unfamiliar with TMDSAS) . But here is why I think it is two overlapping issues:

in the TMDSAS instructions it lists

TMDSAS GPA's Calculated

Overall GPA
: comprised of all coursework (undergraduate and graduate level).
Overall Biology-Chemistry- Physics-Math (BCPM) GPA: comprised of biology, chemistry, physics and math courses.

That implies math is included in GPA.

Later the discuss course area definitions

Calculus or Statistics

Bio statistics
Calculus - must be taught by a Math or Physics Department
Statistics (for science majors NOT for business)
Business Calculus or any Pre-Calculus courses ARE NOT ACCEPTED

I read the latter solely as to the calculus course fulfilling a prerequisite on math, not the guidance on GPA calculation to include math.

Cat, you certainly know better than I, do you have some other notice or info on their intent. (soon we are going to need legal counsel to interpret these)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called and spoke to TMDSAS to clarify

All math is included in BCPM GPA calculation

The later course area definitions refer solely to courses that fulfill specific prerequisites

TMDSAS does GPA calculation and at least preliminary prerequisite fulfillment, which falls more to transcript evaluation.

AMCAS and AACOMAS do not perform any evaluation function as that is left entirely to the individual schools

Well that is confusing since it different that what AACOMAS and AMCAS do for GPA. But unlike the others, TMDSAS does both verification prereq evaluation (i think). And frankly reading the instructions I am still not sure if that is what they mean (and I very unfamiliar with TMDSAS) . But here is why I think it is two overlapping issues:

in the TMDSAS instructions it lists

TMDSAS GPA's Calculated

Overall GPA
: comprised of all coursework (undergraduate and graduate level).
Overall Biology-Chemistry- Physics-Math (BCPM) GPA: comprised of biology, chemistry, physics and math courses.

That implies math is included in GPA.

Later the discuss course area definitions

Calculus or Statistics

Bio statistics
Calculus - must be taught by a Math or Physics Department
Statistics (for science majors NOT for business)
Business Calculus or any Pre-Calculus courses ARE NOT ACCEPTED

I read the latter solely as to the calculus course fulfilling a prerequisite on math, not the guidance on GPA calculation to include math.

Cat, you certainly know better than I, do you have some other notice or info on their intent. (soon we are going to need legal counsel to interpret these)

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for getting this clarified. I am as new as you are to TMDSAS applications (and just trying to help out, as you are). And the new BCPM GPA use instead of sGPA is new to everyone, and I agree they should work on their wording.

Thanks for getting this clarified. I am as new as you are to TMDSAS applications (and just trying to help out, as you are). And the new BCPM GPA use instead of sGPA is new to everyone, and I agree they should work on their wording.

Well Texas is the lone star state...

Why not call and ask. The phone number is at the bottom of post #2, if you don't have it. Let us know what they say.

Their phone system is down today, so I sent an email as directed, when they respond I will most definitely let you know what they say! Thanks for your response nevertheless.

I have a question, I looked and couldn't find a similar situation, unless I over looked it. I went to a community college "district", and there are several different campuses, but all apart of Dallas County Community College District. My friend who applied to Pharm school, had his transcript rejected, because it was sent from one campus, and he assumed it would be okay, since all the campuses are on one transcript because they are apart of the same district. PharmCAS requested a transcript from each campus. Does TMDSAS require the same? Thanks.

As a reapplicant of last year, you can use one transcript from one of the DCCCD colleges as long as it contains all your courses and grades.

And probably Chuck Norris is responsible for the clarity of their prose? So it's just us. :laugh:

Just be thankful you dont have "nuclear physics" on a transcript (thats new-Clear physics)

Seriously though, why does Texas have their own system? Its like the entire state bureaucracy is set up to be free standing and ready if they should leave the Union and declare national independence.

Reactions: 3 users
I am a Texas resident. I graduated high school in Texas, and I meet the residency requirements. Do I have to upload any documents in the proof of residency section?

I am a Texas resident. I graduated high school in Texas, and I meet the residency requirements. Do I have to upload any documents in the proof of residency section?

The application will determine if you need proof of residency by asking:
1. which state you claim your legal residence
2. if you graduated from a Texas high school/completed a GED in Texas
3. which high school you attended
4. if you lived in Texa for 36 months prior to high school graduation
5. by October 1st of this year, will you have lived in Texas continually for the last 12 months.

If you answered the questions accordingly, the system will determine your residency status as a "Texas Resident" or may ask you to provide additional documents.

Last edited:
The application will determine if you need proof or residency by asking:
1. which state you claim your legal residence
2. if you graduated from a Texas high school/completed a GED in Texas
3. which high school you attended
4. if you lived in Texa for 36 months prior to high school graduation
5. by October 1st of this year, will you have lived in Texas continually for the last 12 months.

If you answered the questions accordingly, the system will determine your residency status as a "Texas Resident" or may ask you to provide additional documents.
Okay thank you! I answered yes to all those questions and it says "You are not required to upload any documents at this time. Please click the Continue button below." But it still gave me the option to upload them, so I was just double checking :)

Members don't see this ad :)
How bad does it look to not complete one or both of the optional essays? I did one of them but the other one feels like a repetition of something I have in my personal statement so I really don't feel like it's worth it. Please let me know your input on this.

How bad does it look to not complete one or both of the optional essays? I did one of them but the other one feels like a repetition of something I have in my personal statement so I really don't feel like it's worth it. Please let me know your input on this.
I didn't do either. If you feel like you have something worth saying, go for it, but don't feel obligated to come up with something. Never heard anything about not doing them, but everyone asked about my main PS, so make sure that's all polished.

From item 12 in Post #2:

For the optional essays, is it better to fill out one versus not filling any of them out? I have a unique experience of being chosen to go to Washington DC for a conference as the only student from Texas attending. However, I read that essay is only for hardships and things of that nature. Is that true, or is my idea fine for that essay? Definitely write the essay as you're thinking. It's always a good idea to write the essays in the first place, especially considering that several TX schools have no Secondaries. Take every chance you're given to sell yourself. As for your specific idea, this is an opinion: don't read any subtext into the prompt. It asks for "unique circumstances or life experiences" that would provide the schools with a "broader picture of who you are". Your idea sounds like it fits the bill.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I agree with Chillbo- I think its better to leave blank than being repetitive. Quality over quantity.

Anyone have any opinions on the new Clin ED campus San Antonio is offering starting this year?

Do you think we'd be looked down upon/ will it hurt our chances with the school if we don't select that campus to apply to? I have close ties in the main city and would like to stay there for all 4 years... but don't want to risk being accepted and forced into the other campus for rotations. Thoughts?

Anyone have any opinions on the new Clin ED campus San Antonio is offering starting this year?

Do you think we'd be looked down upon/ will it hurt our chances with the school if we don't select that campus to apply to? I have close ties in the main city and would like to stay there for all 4 years... but don't want to risk being accepted and forced into the other campus for rotations. Thoughts?

I applied to both campuses and prematched to UTHSCSA in late december. When it came to ranking my schools for the Match, we had to put the preference of campus (i.e.: San antonio over Harlingen, or vice versa). Basically, we were accepted to both campuses, but we made our choice of Clin Ed Campuses via the rankings for Match. As far as being looked down upon...I don't think it would make a difference.

Scuttlebutt has it that the students at the Harlingen campus actually get much more hands-on practice than those at the main campus -- get to do more procedures themselves, so many students prefer Harlingen for that reason. If you ever perceive a 'slight', that would be the response to give, anyway.

Yes. Source with list of all courses in each category (scroll down): http://www.tmdsas.com/medical/section_Overview.html

I have a follow up question. That list designates math courses other than calculus and statistics as "other science." Does that mean that if I completed a math major, I can't count those grades towards my BCPM? I hope not, because it would really screw up my sGPA, since I have so many credits with an A grade through the math department.

That list designates math courses other than calculus and statistics as "other science." Does that mean that if I completed a math major, I can't count those grades towards my BCPM?

The later course area definitions refer solely to courses that fulfill specific prerequisites
You can follow the conversation that led to the phone call above. And, yes, the TMDSAS website wording seems to have more than one interpretation.

This is more of a general question, really -- is it going to look trite if I list my Dean's List recognitions under the Academic Recognition section? I imagine everyone applying to medical school has made the Dean's List/Honor Roll at some point, so does this count as "significant" enough for mentioning on my application?

This is more of a general question, really -- is it going to look trite if I list my Dean's List recognitions under the Academic Recognition section? I imagine everyone applying to medical school has made the Dean's List/Honor Roll at some point, so does this count as "significant" enough for mentioning on my application?

From the AMCAS thread:

6. Should I really list that I was on the dean's list/in an honor society?
Again....two schools of thought here. One is that many applicants have these things, so why list them. The other is that they won't know unless you tell them.

Again, a good trick for entering activities is to have a catch-all category like "Academic Recognition" where you then list the X number of awards/recognition that you have received. That way you are not taking up multiple spaces for things you don't want to emphasize.

I imagine the same applies to TMDSAS.

Hope that helps!

I have a question, I looked and couldn't find a similar situation, unless I over looked it. I went to a community college "district", and there are several different campuses, but all apart of Dallas County Community College District. My friend who applied to Pharm school, had his transcript rejected, because it was sent from one campus, and he assumed it would be okay, since all the campuses are on one transcript because they are apart of the same district. PharmCAS requested a transcript from each campus. Does TMDSAS require the same? Thanks.

I went to both Eastfield and Richland and planned to only get one transcript for the courses taken at both. However, even though they will list all courses on the transcript, there is a column which designates which school it was taken from and that will list a course as being taken at Richland or Eastfield. So rather than risk them having issues with only one transcript, I got a transcript from both schools to cover my bases and listed the classes I took based on where I actually did take them. If you hear back from TMDSAS differently, that's fine though!

I went to both Eastfield and Richland and planned to only get one transcript for the courses taken at both. However, even though they will list all courses on the transcript, there is a column which designates which school it was taken from and that will list a course as being taken at Richland or Eastfield. So rather than risk them having issues with only one transcript, I got a transcript from both schools to cover my bases and listed the classes I took based on where I actually did take them. If you hear back from TMDSAS differently, that's fine though!

TMDSAS has confirmed they will accept one transcript from one of the DCCCD colleges as long as it lists all the courses and grades. I went to Richland, Brookhaven, El Centro, North Lake, and Cedar Valley. I submitted one transcript from Richland last year and got verified no problem. Go Thunderducks!

I took: MGT 2040 Business Statistics I

will this not count as STATS requirement? I do not intend to take any other statistics class... will this automatically X me from:
Medical Schools Requiring 3 Sem. hrs. Statistics:
The University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio
Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine
Texas Tech University HSC School of Medicine

I have taken through calculus 3 all A's if that gives me any break.... also the bus stats class was 4 credits

Last edited:
Go for it.

I took: MGT 2040 Business Statistics I

will this not count as STATS requirement? I do not intend to take any other statistics class... will this automatically X me from:
Medical Schools Requiring 3 Sem. hrs. Statistics:
The University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio
Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine
Texas Tech University HSC School of Medicine

I have taken through calculus 3 all A's if that gives me any break.... also the bus stats class was 4 credits
"The Statistics course should be taught in a Math or Statistics Department. Individual medical schools may consider statistics courses taught in other departments on an individual basis with appropriate documentation from faculty."

https://www.tmdsas.com/Approved Stats Courses.pdf

I did Ctrl+F on that pdf and didn't see any MGT classes.

So you'll probably need to add in an intro stats class if you'd like to apply to those 3. (Which I personally would recommend doing, as well)

Go for it.

"The Statistics course should be taught in a Math or Statistics Department. Individual medical schools may consider statistics courses taught in other departments on an individual basis with appropriate documentation from faculty."

https://www.tmdsas.com/Approved Stats Courses.pdf

I did Ctrl+F on that pdf and didn't see any MGT classes.

So you'll probably need to add in an intro stats class if you'd like to apply to those 3. (Which I personally would recommend doing, as well)

Just searched on that PDF and the community college where I took the stats class isn't even listed. However, the University that accepted the credit used the class to satisfy the requirement of a stats class that IS present on the list....... thoughts?

Also, could I take the stats class in the summer if I was accepted to one of these schools? Or do all courses have to be done by spring?

Just searched on that PDF and the community college where I took the stats class isn't even listed. However, the University that accepted the credit used the class to satisfy the requirement of a stats class that IS present on the list....... thoughts?

Also, could I take the stats class in the summer if I was accepted to one of these schools? Or do all courses have to be done by spring?
Hmm. I'm not sure; you would probably need to talk to someone from TMDSAS about that.

And yes, you should just have to have completed pre-req courses by matriculation.

Hmm. I'm not sure; you would probably need to talk to someone from TMDSAS about that.

And yes, you should just have to have completed pre-req courses by matriculation.

Called and they said to list the course name, number, description and syllabus and send to their email. They will review it and let me know. ( In case anyone else has this issue, this is what you do).

I took a psychology class that is also cross listed with a neuroscience class. TMDSAS classifies NRSC as "other science." How do I go about claiming that class as "other science" even though it shows up as psych on my official transcript?

We are very familiar with the transcripts from DCCCD. There are 8 campuses and you would only need to send us one transcript. You do need to enter each campus that you attended though.
Thanks
Anne

Anne Diamon
Administrative Assistant

Here is the response I received this morning about sending multiple transcripts from DCCCD, or any community college that has multiple campuses. Hope this helps someone who might have had the same question.

Reactions: 2 users
I took a psychology class that is also cross listed with a neuroscience class. TMDSAS classifies NRSC as "other science." How do I go about claiming that class as "other science" even though it shows up as psych on my official transcript?
I called TMDSAS this morning and asked about this. Amazingly, I was on hold for about 10 seconds only. They said it would be possible to appeal to have the class recategorized as Neuroscience, but it would be complex and time consuming. If you really, really want to delay your application that long, I'd suggest that you call them yourself and confirm all the details.

I called TMDSAS this morning and asked about this. Amazingly, I was on hold for about 10 seconds only. They said it would be possible to appeal to have the class recategorized as Neuroscience, but it would be complex and time consuming. If you really, really want to delay your application that long, I'd suggest that you call them yourself and confirm all the details.
Thank you so much! I called them today, and I'm starting the process of appealing it, but they assured me it would not delay my application. They said if they approved it they would make the change, and if they didn't approve no change would be made either way my application wouldn't be delayed :)

Thank you so much! I called them today, and I'm starting the process of appealing it, but they assured me it would not delay my application. They said if they approved it they would make the change, and if they didn't approve no change would be made either way my application wouldn't be delayed :)
Good to know that verification of transcripts wouldn't be delayed, which I guess I'd assumed from the context of the conversation (2 months being specifically mentioned). Why do you want it reclassified? Are you under the impression that it would then be included in the BCPM GPA?

Good to know that verification of transcripts wouldn't be delayed, which I guess I'd assumed from the context of the conversation (2 months being specifically mentioned). Why do you want it reclassified? Are you under the impression that it would then be included in the BCPM GPA?

ohhhhhh TMDSAS uses BCPM not Science GPA? so even if it was reclassified, it wouldn't matter because "other sciences" don't count towards that?

So even if I took really science heavy classes like nutritional biochemistry and physiology, TMDSAS just only uses that in my cumulative GPA?

ohhhhhh TMDSAS uses BCPM not Science GPA? so even if it was reclassified, it wouldn't matter because "other sciences" don't count towards that?

So even if I took really science heavy classes like nutritional biochemistry and physiology, TMDSAS just only uses that in my cumulative GPA?
This is the first year that TMDSAS is using a BCPM GPA, but it isn't the same as AMCAS' BCPM. And it's less inclusive than TMDSAS' old sGPA was last year. A few of the OTH SCI does count, like all college Math, for example (except remedial coursework). I gather that some Neuroscience might count. If isn't a BIO class, you might have to ask to have it reviewed so it will be reclassified. I didn't ask a lot of questions about this as I didn't know your purpose.

Other information I did get: All Anatomy and Physiology classes don't necessarily count in the BCPM, depending on the department they were taken from. Medical Terminology, even with a BIO prefix, does not count in the BCPM. Engineering and Computer Science are not included in the BCPM.

If you took Nutritional Biochem through the NUTR dept, you can't assume it will count.

It would be a good idea for you to call again and ask your specific questions. Let us know the results.

Last edited:
This is the first year that TMDSAS is using a BCPM GPA, but it isn't the same as AMCAS' BCPM. And it's less inclusive than TMDSAS' old sGPA was last year. A few of the OTH SCI does count, like all college Math, for example (except remedial coursework). I gather that some Neuroscience might count. If isn't a BIO class, you might have to ask to have it reviewed so it will be reclassified. I didn't ask a lot of questions about this as I didn't know your purpose.

Other information I did get: All Anatomy and Physiology classes don't necessarily count in the BCPM, depending on the department they were taken from. Medical Terminology, even with a BIO prefix, does not count in the BCPM.

If you took Nutritional Biochem through the NUTR dept, you can't assume it will count.

It would be a good idea for you to call again and ask your specific questions. Let us know the results.

They have a specific list of courses from Texas Universities that are classified as "other sciences" that meet the the requirements for BCPM. For example, they only have 1 Nutr class from my university that they will include in the BCPM. To petition this, you must email them with an attached syllabus, and then all of the dean's of the medical school must have a consensus about the course in question. The lady said that would take about 2 months, but it would not delay my application.

Those classes bump my BCPM GPA up a 0.1, so I am going to go ahead and appeal it. Even if it doesn't help me, hopefully my petition will help next year's students.

Do you have a link to the list that you're willing to share?
I don't have the list :/ I just told the lady I was asking about NUTR classes, and she looked it up for me .

The nutr class she said was approved was NUTR 303 which is animal nutrition. TMDSAS is also used for vet school, so I think that's the only reason they allow it

When listing activities under different categories, do you have to use descriptions specific to that category or are the descriptions the same for both categories?

I filled out the TMDSAS application last year for Fall of 2014 cycle and it was processed already. Unfortunately, I had a death in my family and it affected me a lot. This was also right around the date I was supposed to take my MCAT. I couldn't focus on anything and it reflected on the practice exams I took at the time. I ended cancelling my MCAT date and withdrew my application from TMDSAS for the cycle altogether. My letter of recommendations were not yet sent either so my application was never complete. Here is the weird part. According to TMDSAS, I have to put "yes" for the question concerning whether or not I have previously applied to TMDSAS schools. My file was not even complete so I don't even understand. Second, I have to explain what I've done so far to strengthen my application... :confused:It's not like I was rejected or anything so I'm not even sure what to put.
Anyway, my question is will I be treated as a reapplicant even though my file was never complete for these schools? Will I be at a disadvantage for this?

When listing activities under different categories, do you have to use descriptions specific to that category or are the descriptions the same for both categories?
If your description encompasses both categories satisfactorily, then using the same one is fine. I think that most would think of additional details that would support each separate designation, though.

Would tutoring fall under "Leadership" or another category? I would like to have some sort of recent leadership experience included in my application, but not sure if one-on-one tutoring really qualifies...

Thanks!

Would tutoring fall under "Leadership" or another category? I would like to have some sort of recent leadership experience included in my application, but not sure if one-on-one tutoring really qualifies...

Thanks!
If it was like a mentorship or Big Brother/Big Sister thing, it might count, but otherwise it'd probably be employment.

I would put it down, if for no other reason that if any everyone else has it down, it could be conspicuous by its absence

I have a question! For the planned activities section, they make you choose which category your activity fits under. If it fits more than one, do you enter the same activity but under different categories? I am talking about only the planned activities section...so for example, if I plan on doing an activity like tutoring, it could be considered employment and education. Should I list tutoring twice but with different categories?

I have a question! For the planned activities section, they make you choose which category your activity fits under. If it fits more than one, do you enter the same activity but under different categories? I am talking about only the planned activities section...so for example, if I plan on doing an activity like tutoring, it could be considered employment and education. Should I list tutoring twice but with different categories?
With my planned activities section, I only had a few that overlapped into two categories, but I just listed them once, while also noting in the description that it included the other category. You could do it either way, I suppose, but I wanted to make that section a little more concise.

Status
Not open for further replies.