*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. I thought the consensus was that secondary essays are submitted after you submit the primary app. The TMDSAS site states

Completion of the secondary application is required by the following medical schools before the TMDSAS application is considered.

I just submitted my primary application a few minutes ago. Does this mean that I need to submit my secondaries application ASAP as well? (my essays are ready)
Yes, as soon as you submit the primary, you can submit secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

Are we sure that "Total Cumulative Hours" for the activities section include projected future hours? It feels a little disingenuous listing more volunteer hours than I have just because I will be volunteering through senior year.

Are we sure that "Total Cumulative Hours" for the activities section include projected future hours? It feels a little disingenuous listing more volunteer hours than I have just because I will be volunteering through senior year.
Yep. But if it feels a little excessive to you, you can estimate conservatively. It'll have the estimated end date listed, though, so adcoms will know it's a best guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
TMDSAS submitted 6/1
Verified/transmitted 6/6
Letter packet uploaded by advisor around 6/13
Secondaries throughout June
MCAT score received and transmitted 7/2
First interview invite 7/10

:astronaut:
I wish I had seen this before I submitted last Friday. I thought it was a given that it took TMDSAS around 4-6 weeks to transmit our application to the schools. I checked my email this morning (only 6 days later) and saw they had already transmitted it! I haven't even started on the secondaries yet. What is the general consensus on when they start looking at complete applications? Should I aim for knocking them out ASAP by middle of next week or should I take some more time to ensure they are polished and send them out later in June?

I wish I had seen this before I submitted last Friday. I thought it was a given that it took TMDSAS around 4-6 weeks to transmit our application to the schools. I checked my email this morning (only 6 days later) and saw they had already transmitted it! I haven't even started on the secondaries yet. What is the general consensus on when they start looking at complete applications? Should I aim for knocking them out ASAP by middle of next week or should I take some more time to ensure they are polished and send them out later in June?
If you get them done by the middle of June you're in great shape. I think TCOM has an interview date or two in July, but the MD schools start in August.

Edit: also, yeah. If you submit TMDSAS (AMCAS, too, to an extent) right at the beginning, it gets transmitted way faster.

How official does the photo need to be?
Something decently nice; you wanna make a good impression (or at least not make a bad one).

Obviously you don't want to wear a bro-tank with frat-daddy shades and a snapback. I'd say minimum is a polo (if you're a guy). But try for a shirt and tie, at least.

Does graduating magna cum laude warrant an entry under "academic awards" or is several inclusions on the Dean's list sufficient to indicate academic achievement?

Thanks!

Does graduating magna cum laude warrant an entry under "academic awards" or is several inclusions on the Dean's list sufficient to indicate academic achievement?

Thanks!
Hmm...I suppose you can put it on there; I never even thought of it when I did my app. You can put Dean's List on there for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Can/Should I turn in my secondary application for a school if my primary application is not verified?

Something decently nice; you wanna make a good impression (or at least not make a bad one).

Obviously you don't want to wear a bro-tank with frat-daddy shades and a snapback. I'd say minimum is a polo (if you're a guy). But try for a shirt and tie, at least.

What do you think of a girl wearing just a dark colored shirt with trees as background? Not formal but quite casual. Thanks!

I'm a little bit confused as to how to add repeated activities.

If I volunteered at a hospital from 2009-2011, and then again from 2013-Present, and I intend to continue volunteering through the start of medical school, would I include three entries? For example:

Healthcare Activities

01/2009-08/2011: Volunteered at St. Mary's Hospital for 600 hours
06/2013-06/2014: Volunteered at St. Mary's Hospital for 300 hours

Planned Activities

06/2014-08/2015: Plan on volunteering at St. Mary's Hospital for 340 hours

Or should I double-up and include all hours, including planned hours, in the "healthcare activities" section and then also add an entry into "planned activities?" Or should I just condense the 2009-2011 and 2013-2014 dates into one entry and then include all future hours in "planned activities?"

Hope my question makes sense! Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little bit confused as to how to add repeated activities.

If I volunteered at a hospital from 2009-2011, and then again from 2013-Present, and I intend to continue volunteering through the start of medical school, would I include three entries? For example:

Healthcare Activities

01/2009-08/2011: Volunteered at St. Mary's Hospital for 600 hours
06/2013-06/2014: Volunteered at St. Mary's Hospital for 300 hours

Planned Activities

06/2014-08/2015: Plan on volunteering at St. Mary's Hospital for 340 hours

Or should I double-up and include all hours, including planned hours, in the "healthcare activities" section and then also add an entry into "planned activities?" Or should I just condense the 2009-2011 and 2013-2014 dates into one entry and then include all future hours in "planned activities?"

Hope my question makes sense! Thanks for any input!
You can do it just like you have there, or you can extend the end date of the second one to 8/15 and include the planned hours, but you will also have the planned activities entry.

so when we upload the photo, the website said it only allowed for 100kb, which means that the photo we uploaded will either be very small or have a very low quality. Does anyone feel the same way? Also I cropped the photo out of my graduation photo, is that acceptable?

hey all!

I'm looking at the optional essays and would like to speak on my father's fight with polio and how it was important to me to grow up with a father who beat polio. Would it fit best with the "unique experience" or the "personal characteristic" essay? Should I even include it at all?

If I copy my personal statement to mac text edit and then into tmdsas will there still be formatting issues???

I read somewhere that curly quotation marks for example cause major formatting issues. It looks fine in the pdf

HELPPP :((

For the socioeconomic section, it asks:

What is the zip code of the place where you lived for the majority of the time from birth to age 18?
If you lived in multiple locations, please enter the zip code where you lived longest.
If you were not living in the US, please check the box below.
I lived outside the US. (checkbox)

For the majority of my life, I lived in the US while also spending many years overseas. Though I have already entered a zip code in the first section, should I also check mark the part that says "I lived outside the US?" Thank you!

so when we upload the photo, the website said it only allowed for 100kb, which means that the photo we uploaded will either be very small or have a very low quality. Does anyone feel the same way? Also I cropped the photo out of my graduation photo, is that acceptable?
My photo was 400x400 pixels, equivalent to 5.5"x5.5", saved at 97% after cropping in Photoshop. And, it should be fine, yes.

hey all!

I'm looking at the optional essays and would like to speak on my father's fight with polio and how it was important to me to grow up with a father who beat polio. Would it fit best with the "unique experience" or the "personal characteristic" essay? Should I even include it at all?
Unique Experience. If you feel like it helps flesh out your character to adcoms, go for it. Don't feel forced to do the optional essays (they are optional), but if you think your story gives a better picture of yourself, that's great.

If I copy my personal statement to mac text edit and then into tmdsas will there still be formatting issues???

I read somewhere that curly quotation marks for example cause major formatting issues. It looks fine in the pdf

HELPPP :((
I'm not sure.

I opened the Word file and TMDSAS side by side and directly transcribed my entire PS. It doubled as a spelling/grammar check and making sure there wouldn't be any formatting errors.

For the socioeconomic section, it asks:

What is the zip code of the place where you lived for the majority of the time from birth to age 18?
If you lived in multiple locations, please enter the zip code where you lived longest.
If you were not living in the US, please check the box below.
I lived outside the US. (checkbox)

For the majority of my life, I lived in the US while also spending many years overseas. Though I have already entered a zip code in the first section, should I also check mark the part that says "I lived outside the US?" Thank you!
If you lived the majority in the US, like you said, don't check the box.

300 character limit is really rough. I am taking the AMCAS descriptions I have been working so hard on and am having to cut out a lot of the meat. Are they just looking for simple descriptions on what it is?

300 character limit is really rough. I am taking the AMCAS descriptions I have been working so hard on and am having to cut out a lot of the meat. Are they just looking for simple descriptions on what it is?
Adcoms know that you don't have a whole lot of space to work with, so it doesn't have to be super-detailed. Just make it as concise as you can to fit it in there.

Adcoms know that you don't have a whole lot of space to work with, so it doesn't have to be super-detailed. Just make it as concise as you can to fit it in there.

Okay ya that is true. Thanks!

But more importantly, rethink that list. Where else are you applying and why? Baylor? - sure. If you're OOS, then yeah, makes sense. If you're IS and applying to OOS MDs as 'safeties' you're wasting your time and money.

To be fair I was accepted to a couple OOS MDs that I applied to somewhat as "safeties." Although being non-trad with a pretty unique app I just wasn't sure where would be the best fit. I think it is worth considering in some cases, but probably not for most.

Descriptions: use them to understand the activity, don't embellish or waste space, maybe include a sentence about what you liked/learned/motivated you - I did for several
Optional essays: Write them and use each to gently highlight something that helps the adcom get to know you better, when combined with the personal statement it should give them a decent snapshot of you and is an awesome opportunity to appear 3D in a world of thousands of similar apps. I had multiple interviewers comment positively on mine and even a few adcoms comment negatively at interview day about those who wrote none (no its not a deal breaker but if done well they can only help).

My photo was 400x400 pixels, equivalent to 5.5"x5.5", saved at 97% after cropping in Photoshop. And, it should be fine, yes.

Unique Experience. If you feel like it helps flesh out your character to adcoms, go for it. Don't feel forced to do the optional essays (they are optional), but if you think your story gives a better picture of yourself, that's great.

I'm not sure.

I opened the Word file and TMDSAS side by side and directly transcribed my entire PS. It doubled as a spelling/grammar check and making sure there wouldn't be any formatting errors.

If you lived the majority in the US, like you said, don't check the box.

Thank you!!

Who should we list as an "employer" for jobs in which we were self-employed (eg - working as a contractor)?

Thanks!

-Bill

Would research presentation awards go under Academic or nonacademic honors?

How long does it usually take to get your application transmitted to the schools?

It depends on when you submit, and consequently, the number of apps they have to go through at that time.

Last year I submitted June 1st and it was transmitted 5 days later.
PERFECT! I submitted June 1st as well.
I just didn't know if anyone had any experiences waiting weeks like AMCAS makes ppl do

Just make sure you get your transcripts and letters and such in as soon as you can, as well (if you haven't already)!
My pre-med advisor has all my letters, and I sent her the form to release them to TMDAS! and my transcripts have already been received by them :) now it's onto the secondaries and ALOT of waiting lol

Is a withdraw grade, W, which doesn't affect my GPA, going to lower my GPA if it is classified as a Q? I searched all over and couldn't find an answer. Thanks!
EDIT: Found my own answer finally.
"Excluded from the grade-point average shall be any credit by examination (CR); Quit (Q); Withdrew (W); Withdrew Passing (WP); Incomplete (I or X); and a pass grade within a pass/fail system."

So my major is exercise science. I can't really decide whether it would be other science or non science for TMDSAS. What do you guys think?

So my major is exercise science. I can't really decide whether it would be other science or non science for TMDSAS. What do you guys think?
Do you have to put your major in there? I don't remember.

Physical Science, the closest match to exercise science, is listed under "Other Science."

Do you have to put your major in there? I don't remember.

Physical Science, the closest match to exercise science, is listed under "Other Science."
Sorry, let me rephrase, when inputting classes where would my exercise science classes be? non science or other science?

Last edited:
I recently submitted my app and, despite reviewing everything, I forgot to change the end date and total hours of an EC/Leisure activity (because it rolled over from last year's cycle). Wouldn't think twice about it since I don't have that many additional hours from this past year, but I have the correct end date listed elsewhere in the app. Do you think this will be a problem?

I recently submitted my app and, despite reviewing everything, I forgot to change the end date and total hours of an EC/Leisure activity (because it rolled over from last year's cycle). Wouldn't think twice about it since I don't have that many additional hours from this past year, but I have the correct end date listed elsewhere in the app. Do you think this will be a problem?
I would be surprised if anyone questioned it.

What time frame do you guys think would be considered early for Texas schools? (I.E. completed/submitted Primaries AND Secondaries)? Since secondaries are kinda parallel to primaries in TX, wondering if time scale is different.

Early to mid June for primaries, through mid-July for secondaries is what I would consider early enough. Just one person's opinion though --

What time frame do you guys think would be considered early for Texas schools? (I.E. completed/submitted Primaries AND Secondaries)? Since secondaries are kinda parallel to primaries in TX, wondering if time scale is different.
By the end of July, most likely. Interviews start in August, so being done before then would be preferable.

By the end of June and you're golden.

I just wanted to pop in and wish everyone good luck. The advice that's been offered thus far, particularly by Doktor Mom (p.1), has been outstanding. If I could have one "do-over" it'd be that I would have saved considerable time and money by not applying to so many AMCAS schools. I was so freaked out about the stats for those applying to med school (~60% not getting an offer) that I decided to cast a very, very wide net. I knew I'd choose Texas for the value but was still anxious. I applied as a traditional candidate with a very high GPA and exceptional ECs from a top school, but my MCAT was average. I ultimately interviewed at all 7 TX publics, prematched at 6, and received a post-match acceptance from the other. I realize they say hindsight is 20-20, but I wish I wouldn't have been so neurotic. All of the energy spent completing AMCAS secondaries was senseless. Yes, I did receive a few AMCAS interviews/acceptances; however. Like DoktorMom said, most AMCAS schools realized I was solid enough to get in to a TX school and knew it was unlikely I'd pay the additional $50K/year (COA).

I just wanted to pop in and wish everyone good luck. The advice that's been offered thus far, particularly by Doktor Mom (p.1), has been outstanding. If I could have one "do-over" it'd be that I would have saved considerable time and money by not applying to so many AMCAS schools. I was so freaked out about the stats for those applying to med school (~60% not getting an offer) that I decided to cast a very, very wide net. I knew I'd choose Texas for the value but was still anxious. I applied as a traditional candidate with a very high GPA and exceptional ECs from a top school, but my MCAT was average. I ultimately interviewed at all 7 TX publics, prematched at 6, and received a post-match acceptance from the other. I realize they say hindsight is 20-20, but I wish I wouldn't have been so neurotic. All of the energy spent completing AMCAS secondaries was senseless. Yes, I did receive a few AMCAS interviews/acceptances; however. Like DoktorMom said, most AMCAS schools realized I was solid enough to get in to a TX school and knew it was unlikely I'd pay the additional $50K/year (COA).

Hi there, do you mind sharing what your MCAT score was? I also have a very high GPA but lowish MCAT, so I was wondering what my chances would be.. Thanks!

Hi there, do you mind sharing what your MCAT score was? I also have a very high GPA but lowish MCAT, so I was wondering what my chances would be.. Thanks!
32/4.0 TMDSAS GPA.

I am using Interfolio for LORs. I am applying through AMCAS and TMDSAS and both require my ID be on the letter. Do I create 2 different LOR request forms on interfolio and my letter writers send the 2 letters with each ID on them?

I am writing my unique experience that contributes to the diversity of the school essay on ayurvedic medicine - is that a reasonable answer to this question?

Status
Not open for further replies.