*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just submitted my TMDSAS application and noticed that I copy-pasted the optional essay I had written in notepad into the boxes for BOTH the characteristics/education essay and also for the unique experience essay. I had written three separate essays, but submitted two. My PS was fine. I cannot fix this online, as TMDSAS explicitly says on site that I can't.

However, my application definitely won't be transmitted when I call them first thing in the morning tomorrow. What do you think the odds are that I could convince them to open up my application, or at least allow me to cancel it and resubmit a new application with the correct info??

I know this was completely my mistake, and believe me, I've beaten myself up to an appropriate extent for this.
Might as well try but I wouldn't have high hopes. Sorry, that sucks :(

Members don't see this ad.

Is it worth applying TMDSAS as an OOS applicant if I'm taking the MCAT in July? Which means my app will not be totally complete until mid-August. I'd considered myself borderline. ~3.4 cGPA/sGPA, but solid clinical/volunteering hours and >1000 hours research. Thoughts?
I would go for it. The worst that can happen is you're down $140.

Members don't see this ad :)
My application is submitted and now I'm just trying to determine which letters of evaluation to send in. I have two from science professors (one is also my research mentor) I am sending in for sure. I am thinking about sending in a third letter from a D.O. I have shadowed and who I have been friends with for a while. I know a third letter isn't encouraged. Is it just TMDSAS that doesn't encourage the optional letter or is it the schools also? Is anyone else thinking about sending 3? I read somewhere that letters from physicians are somehow a bad thing. Has anyone else heard this? It doesn't add up in my mind.

Last edited:
I just submitted my TMDSAS application and noticed that I copy-pasted the optional essay I had written in notepad into the boxes for BOTH the characteristics/education essay and also for the unique experience essay. I had written three separate essays, but submitted two. My PS was fine. I cannot fix this online, as TMDSAS explicitly says on site that I can't.

However, my application definitely won't be transmitted when I call them first thing in the morning tomorrow. What do you think the odds are that I could convince them to open up my application, or at least allow me to cancel it and resubmit a new application with the correct info??

I know this was completely my mistake, and believe me, I've beaten myself up to an appropriate extent for this.

Out of curiosity, what did they say when you called? Did they let you fix it?

Hey guys,

I have a question about whether or not a certain topic is appropriate for the optional essay about unique circumstances. Are there any people here I can message with additional details (don't really want to post it here since there's some identifying info.)? Thanks!

How long do transcript take to be marked received? My transcripts were process on 6/8/2015, so it's only been 10 days. But I'm wondering when I should request another transcript. Thanks!

How long do transcript take to be marked received? My transcripts were process on 6/8/2015, so it's only been 10 days. But I'm wondering when I should request another transcript. Thanks!
Give it more time. It took mine 2-2.5 weeks.

So if we are currently doing activities and they will extend into the future, we don't put that in the future activities section, right? The only things that should go in that section are those we haven't started yet?

Thanks guys!!

My application is submitted and now I'm just trying to determine which letters of evaluation to send in. I have two from science professors (one is also my research mentor) I am sending in for sure. I am thinking about sending in a third letter from a D.O. I have shadowed and who I have been friends with for a while. I know a third letter isn't encouraged. Is it just TMDSAS that doesn't encourage the optional letter or is it the schools also? Is anyone else thinking about sending 3? I read somewhere that letters from physicians are somehow a bad thing. Has anyone else heard this? It doesn't add up in my mind.

I didn't get a response on this earlier. Does anyone know the answers to any of these?

I didn't get a response on this earlier. Does anyone know the answers to any of these?

I'm paraphrasing here but I think the general consensus is it isn't "bad" its just not that important. The main reason, is a letter from a physician you shadowed can't really speak to anything significant of who you are.

I'm not 100% on this but I think logically a physician you have a significant relationship with, beyond simple shadowing, is a completely different scenario and I would utilize this.

As far as a DO letter, I had a strong letter from a DO, but decided not to send it to any allopathic schools and only used it for TCOM. I just decided it wasn't worth any possible bias, whether that is reality or not.

I hardly think an adcom is going to say " this guy... Unbelievable making me read a third letter.. REJECT!"

Just use common sense, if it is a strong letter include it, if not don't waste anybody's time.... Because in the grand scheme of things it is only a small contributing detail.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent my transcript two weeks ago and they still don't have it.... Is that normal?

I sent my transcript two weeks ago and they still don't have it.... Is that normal?
I wrote down the dates of all of mine...the earliest one i sent was 6/5 and they got that yesterday. 6/6 hasn't though. Maybe theyre just slow?

Reactions: 1 user
I wrote down the dates of all of mine...the earliest one i sent was 6/5 and they got that yesterday. 6/6 hasn't though. Maybe theyre just slow?
I sent mine on the 2nd, lol. I guess I'll give it another week.

I thought you can send transcript before submitting. @_@ Unless it works differently from AMCAS.
oh you can! i was jw. because it takes even longer to get the app submitted than it is to get transcripts verified...based on my understanding.

from the website:
6/17/2015
Current processing times:

Applications: currently processing applications submitted on 6/4
Transcripts: currently processing transcripts received on 6/8
Letters of Evaluation: currently processing LOE's received on 6/16

oh you can! i was jw. because it takes even longer to get the app submitted than it is to get transcripts verified...based on my understanding.

from the website:
6/17/2015
Current processing times:

Applications: currently processing applications submitted on 6/4
Transcripts: currently processing transcripts received on 6/8
Letters of Evaluation: currently processing LOE's received on 6/16
Hmm. . . It's more like they can't do anything without your transcript first. So even if you submitted beforehand, they won't do anything with your application until they have your transcript.

Hmm. . . It's more like they can't do anything without your transcript first. So even if you submitted beforehand, they won't do anything with your application until they have your transcript.
OH. Is that how it works? wow this is gonna be super delayed then...if we wont even be considered for verification until after all transcripts are in :c

For the planned activities section, should we be putting pretty much the same description that was in the original activity along with any additional duties/plans? Or is it expected that something different should be written in that part?

How does TMDSAS view new Texas residents who moved just a year before application? It seems like they make the system purposely difficult for non-life long residents to be included for in-state considerations. I am originally from OOS, but I started a new job in Sept 2014 and have the lease, TX DL etc to prove my residency status. The TMDSAS site just states that you need to be established one year before the deadline, which is October 1.

Hello everyone. I have a huge dilemma and I was wondering if anyone can help me out.

I took the MCAT twice 26 (9 - v, 9-b, 8-p), and retook the MCAT and got 504-505 (27-28 equivalent). My GPA is 3.97 according to TMDSAS. I am planning to retake it in August and for the first time, I won't be having a 40 hours a week job on my hands (my mistake on the first two attempts... i know.). That being said I already submitted my Tmdsas application and I was wondering whether I should mention on my app that I will be taking the MCAT in early August (i would get the score around September 3rd)? or should I not mention and apply early with my current scores? Also, Do schools offer interviews before MCAT retakes are in? I heard that many DO schools do but I don't know about MD. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Check your email if interested in Dell Medical School.

Reactions: 3 users
I bet TMDSAS having to manually add Dell to a whole bunch of applications won't make reviewing apps any faster :(

I agree.

I would bet there was some technical barrier to reopening all the transmitted applications. I guess if they were going to need to reopen all of the apps manually, why not just add it in and avoid changing the programming?

Transcript is in!!! After 20 days. Holy canoly.
Hello everyone. I have a huge dilemma and I was wondering if anyone can help me out.

I took the MCAT twice 26 (9 - v, 9-b, 8-p), and retook the MCAT and got 504-505 (27-28 equivalent). My GPA is 3.97 according to TMDSAS. I am planning to retake it in August and for the first time, I won't be having a 40 hours a week job on my hands (my mistake on the first two attempts... i know.). That being said I already submitted my Tmdsas application and I was wondering whether I should mention on my app that I will be taking the MCAT in early August (i would get the score around September 3rd)? or should I not mention and apply early with my current scores? Also, Do schools offer interviews before MCAT retakes are in? I heard that many DO schools do but I don't know about MD. Thanks again.

Your TMDSAS application should have a part where it says you will be taking a future MCAT. My understanding is that schools won't see your application until your newest mcat scores are in. The question is, whether applying with a 27-28 will garner some interviews and whether you need to take the mcat again (I don't know, but MSAR has quite a bit of schools that have 27-28 as the 1oth percentile). When your application is complete around September, you would already be at a disadvantage.

If you went from a 26 to a 27/28, chances are that you won't be going up very much your third time. So my recommendation is that you try and apply to DO schools as well as the texas schools with the scores you have now. Although I'm concerned about the breakdown of the scores. Any section that is 7 or lower can be detrimental.

Last edited:
I have read through these posts and still need some help on these two question.
1)Is it preferred to separate the specialty doctors I shadowed or clump them all together and have the start and end date from the first doctor I ever shadowed to the last doctor I ever shadowed?
2) Do schools actually screen applicants who have a low mcat and plan on taking another mcat, thanks.

Your TMDSAS application should have a part where it says you will be taking a future MCAT. My understanding is that schools won't see your application until your newest mcat scores are in. The question is, whether applying with a 27-28 will garner some interviews and whether you need to take the mcat again (I don't know, but MSAR has quite a bit of schools that have 27-28 as the 1oth percentile). When your application is complete around September, you would already be at a disadvantage.

If you went from a 26 to a 27/28, chances are that you won't be going up very much your third time. So my recommendation is that you try and apply to DO schools as well as the texas schools with the scores you have now. Although I'm concerned about the breakdown of the scores. Any section that is 7 or lower can be detrimental.
like 20 business days so 4 weeks? :( Im so tempted to just buy more and send it in, I have no idea what's going on lol

Also the Dell Medical school application has a secondary that is invited to after a screen it looks like. Interesting as this makes Dell the first medical school in TX to pre-screen before inviting for a secondary.

I have read through these posts and still need some help on these two question.
1)Is it preferred to separate the specialty doctors I shadowed or clump them all together and have the start and end date from the first doctor I ever shadowed to the last doctor I ever shadowed?
2) Do schools actually screen applicants who have a low mcat and plan on taking another mcat, thanks.

No idea about your second question.

First question, I clumped 3 specialties together because I only did 8 hours in each, so I used the overall dates for that. And then the 4th specialty I put separately because I did 60 hours there.

I think either way is fine but if you don't have much to say about a specialty it might be best to bundle.

On the Dell website it says they're screening out people below a 3.2 cumulative. And they're only sending secondaries after they've reviewed part of your app.

On the status page of the application it says when the transcript was received, but do you ever know when they actually processed it besides the processing times they post?

My scores are pretty balanced, with CARS being higher than others. To be honest, I would be happy with any of the Texas schools. I think a 27-28 puts me at an at least 40% chance so I think I'll go along with that. Maybe if I don't hear back and I do extremely well on the 3rd test, I can quickly update the application? What do you think?

like 20 business days so 4 weeks? :( Im so tempted to just buy more and send it in, I have no idea what's going on lol
Nonono, 20 days including weekends. Not just business days, lol. Relax, it's coming.

My scores are pretty balanced, with CARS being higher than others. To be honest, I would be happy with any of the Texas schools. I think a 27-28 puts me at an at least 40% chance so I think I'll go along with that. Maybe if I don't hear back and I do extremely well on the 3rd test, I can quickly update the application? What do you think?
Well... I haven't personally heard of people doing that. This is a similar thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/q-on-retaking-mcat-after-submitting-amcas.520205/

Assuming you don't get rejected with your current score but land in the maybe pile, perhaps that new score might save you. By I'm not super confident about that...

In my opinion, if you were going to retake it'd better be after a year's worth of studying considering that your test scores didn't go up by much.

But whatever you decide, if you took the test and got the score, you're going to have to send it to TMDSAS and alert the schools. . . even if the score got worse.

Last edited:
I just wanted to double check: for the Activities section, we're supposed to list activities in multiple categories if they meet the criteria. So for my paid research assistant job, it should be listed under Research Activities AND Employment?

Also, I can change my descriptions for the same activity to fit each category, right?

How does TMDSAS view new Texas residents who moved just a year before application? It seems like they make the system purposely difficult for non-life long residents to be included for in-state considerations. I am originally from OOS, but I started a new job in Sept 2014 and have the lease, TX DL etc to prove my residency status. The TMDSAS site just states that you need to be established one year before the deadline, which is October 1.
Did you graduate from a Texas HS?

If not you need to:
"Establish Domicile"
  1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline, October 1; and
  2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months prior to the application deadline, October 1, by doing one of the following:
    • Be gainfully employed in Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment) -Gainful employment is employment that provides an income that is sufficient to provide at least one-half of the individual's tuition and living expenses or that represents an average of at least twenty hours of employment per week
    • Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence
    • Own and operate a business in Texas
    • Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas

Hi everyone! I have one question -- I have a few courses on my transcript that were originally incompletes but the work was made up and a real grade was assigned. It seems like for TMDSAS that there isn't a way to indicate this -- either it's indicated as a grade or as incomplete but not both. What should I check? Also, if I just select a grade, will there be any indication to medical schools that the grade was originally incomplete? My transcript from my university does indicate this (ex. IB for the grade instead of B).

Is college algebra part of bpcm?

I'm not an expert, but I saw your question on another thread too, so I thought I'd try to help in this more active thread.

I don't see why college algebra (and precalculus, since you asked elsewhere) would not be included in BCPM. I did not take these myself, but took other math classes in addition to the standard calculus. In my experience, they were added to the BCPM, but not immediately. My sGPA at the time of submission changed after someone at TMDSAS went through my courses and added every math class to the sGPA.

Are you trying to figure this out for your own calculation purposes? Unless I've already forgotten doing it, there's no box for checking what you think applies to sGPA (what used to be BCPM). TMDSAS will just determine this manually for math classes.

Edit: actually, not for all math classes. Calculus classes had their own spot in the drop-down selection, but I mean for math in the "other sciences" category, which I imagine would include college algebra and precalculus.

Last edited:
How much access do TMDSAS schools have to your AMCAS and AACOMAS app? Can they see your entire application even if it has been withdrawn or not verified?

I understand TMDSAS can see the schools you applied to but do they actually cross-check the information you provide? I'm worried since I tweaked a lot of my ECs to they fit allopathic and osteopathic philosophies.

Edit: TMDSAS says they report "application irregularities" to AAMC and AAOM. What the heck does that mean? Excuse my premed neuroticism, I dont want to be flagged by either organization for being deceptive.

Last edited:
How much access do TMDSAS schools have to your AMCAS and AACOMAS app? Can they see your entire application even if it has been withdrawn or not verified?

I understand TMDSAS can see the schools you applied to but do they actually cross-check the information you provide? I'm worried since I tweaked a lot of my ECs to they fit allopathic and osteopathic philosophies.

Edit: TMDSAS says they report "application irregularities" to AAMC and AAOM. What the heck does that mean? Excuse my premed neuroticism, I dont want to be flagged by either organization for being deceptive.
Too much thought.
"
Those are the irregularities that are reportable.

Too much thought.
"
Those are the irregularities that are reportable.

Do you think I'll get asked why my PS is considerably different between AACOMAS and AMCAS? The DO version had all the tenets about holistic care and stuff while the MD version (which I used for TMDSAS) talks about research and why I care about heme/onc so much.

Also: TMDSAS was nice enough to check my LoRs and it turns out my adviser's is invalid lol. Ive asked him to re-do it. Right now I have a LoR from a bio professor (not my adviser) and a DO only. Will that hurt my app?

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi guys,

What's the consensus on the optional "unique circumstances or life experiences" essay? I am getting the vibe that this is only there to explain if you had to fight an illness or deal with some other extenuating circumstance that impacted your grades.

I had some erratic grades my first few semesters but I feel like I dealt with the issue in my PS already. Its not like "immature, liked to party" is all that unique a circumstance either, lol... Having trouble coming up with something for this prompt that isn't a rehash of my PS or the diversity essay.

Do you think I'll get asked why my PS is considerably different between AACOMAS and AMCAS? The DO version had all the tenets about holistic care and stuff while the MD version (which I used for TMDSAS) talks about research and why I care about heme/onc so much.

Also: TMDSAS was nice enough to check my LoRs and it turns out my adviser's is invalid lol. Ive asked him to re-do it. Right now I have a LoR from a bio professor (not my adviser) and a DO only. Will that hurt my app?

Thank you
They don't look at the personal statement from AMCAS, lol. Totally different peeps. If they had access to AMCAS directly, there would be no need to send them an MCAT score from AAMC because they would already know the score. Same goes for TMDSAS, because else they wouldn't need to ask us to provide a list of schools that we're applying to through AMCAS.

Since you're applying to all Texas schools (DO included), I'm not sure. I'm sure some people would prefer two professors + DO letter, but so long as you have 1 science professor then it should be fine. Remember that they want someone that can talk about your academic abilities in the sciences at least.

Hi guys,

What's the consensus on the optional "unique circumstances or life experiences" essay? I am getting the vibe that this is only there to explain if you had to fight an illness or deal with some other extenuating circumstance that impacted your grades.

I had some erratic grades my first few semesters but I feel like I dealt with the issue in my PS already. Its not like "immature, liked to party" is all that unique a circumstance either, lol... Having trouble coming up with something for this prompt that isn't a rehash of my PS or the diversity essay.
Well, I kind of get the feel that they changed the prompt for some reason... I know in the past, people emphasized the negative connotation of circumstances and recommended that you write about any disadvantaged background, personal struggle, weird things that contributed to a failing grade, etc. But I think the prompt changed to include just unique experiences in general. It's confusing...

What I did was combine the two prompts and put it into the diversity prompt. I talked about something that was unique to me AND contributed to diversity. That way we don't have to deal with the maybes, because we have both prompts fulfilled in the one essay we're sure we can write about.

For the personal essay, it asks for values of your experiences that will help you prepare for a career in medicine.
Does that mean I include shadowing, volunteering, and working a job? Thanks

For the personal essay, it asks for values of your experiences that will help you prepare for a career in medicine.
Does that mean I include shadowing, volunteering, and working a job? Thanks
If this is your personal statement, make sure to cover the breadth and depth of your experiences that have guided you to pursue medicine as well as your motivation for a career in healthcare.
And yes, tie in your shadowing and volunteering experiences, and rather than stating what you did, explain what you learned and how your observations of the profession align with your own motivations to help you make that decision to pursue med school.

Status
Not open for further replies.