*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I held one job continuously from summer between freshman and sophomore year until winter of my junior year.
Do I have to enter it multiple times? How are you all doing it? And if I enter it multiple times, do I just copy and paste the same description?

Here is the section of the manual, which I don't find helpful at all. "If you held a job every summer, enter each time period as a separate record."

Found the answer in this thread, sorry for posting. Here's the earlier answer if anyone was wondering as well.

SaintedHover
I went ahead and called and you were correct. We have to put in the job each time we held it (freshman, sophomore, and etc.). Also each start and end date should be in line with that time, as well as hours worked per week.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, for those applying from OOS, is the optional essay an appropriate spot to explain why I am applying to Texas schools?

That's also where I'm explaining that I've been in medical school previously (AMCAS gives a specific spot to explain, but TMDSAS doesn't).

I held one job continuously from summer between freshman and sophomore year until winter of my junior year.
Do I have to enter it multiple times? How are you all doing it? And if I enter it multiple times, do I just copy and paste the same description?

Here is the section of the manual, which I don't find helpful at all. "If you held a job every summer, enter each time period as a separate record."

Found the answer in this thread, sorry for posting. Here's the earlier answer if anyone was wondering as well.

SaintedHover
I went ahead and called and you were correct. We have to put in the job each time we held it (freshman, sophomore, and etc.). Also each start and end date should be in line with that time, as well as hours worked per week.

Yes if u held that job in multiple times (freshmen sophmore junior years) you must put it in several times. And i just copied and pasted the descriptipns and tweaked the hours some.

Sorry replied without fully reading your edit

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes if u held that job in multiple times (freshmen sophmore junior years) you must put it in several times. And i just copied and pasted the descriptipns and tweaked the hours some.

Sorry replied without fully reading your edit

Thank you!

Is anyone considering the MD/MPH programs at any of the schools?

I received an email stating that my application has been transmitted to the schools I selected to apply to. But I haven't gotten any confirmation that my transcripts were received. The email states that "during processing, the information you submitted was reviewed and compared to transcripts received." Does anyone know what this means?

One of my letter writers is flaking out on me, and I'm considering having my committee go ahead and draft their letter/packet without his letter included. This will leave me with only one science professor letter, and two from physicians. Do any of the schools require specific letter writers in your HPE packet?
Thanks!

One more question: on the chronology of events, if I entered a job 3 times (once for each semester I had it) it shows up as 3 lines on the chronology. Would you delete two of them so its only on there once, or leave it?

One more question: on the chronology of events, if I entered a job 3 times (once for each semester I had it) it shows up as 3 lines on the chronology. Would you delete two of them so its only on there once, or leave it?
Leave it. And committee letters override the individual letter requirements.

Hi guys, had a few quick questions.

I'm applying from Oklahoma as a OOS applicant. However I have a lot of ties to the state.

I was a little confused on how the Texas application worked.

I am going to submit my application this week and will be filling out the required secondary's for the 5 schools in the next few weeks

My transcripts are received. However my letters will not come in until August. My undergrad does a committee interview and state they should be done and uploaded by July 20-August 1. Will this put me at a disadvantage?

I'm applying from Oklahoma as a OOS applicant. However I have a lot of ties to the state.

I am going to submit my application this week and will be filling out the required secondary's for the 5 schools in the next few weeks

My transcripts are received. However my letters will not come in until August. My undergrad does a committee interview and state they should be done and uploaded by July 20-August 1. Will this put me at a disadvantage?
That is likely to put you at a great disadvantage. Your application is not complete until the schools have everything (including letters) that they require, so they won't review you until then. Your application will be late. That said, if you have good stats and a strong application, you might still have some chance. Just get everything in as soon as you can and hope for the best. Good luck!

Honestly not really especially since you are OOS applicant.

OOS applicant interviews are typically given out later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I had a question regarding the Planned MCAT section. I took my MCAT in January and did pretty average, but I was considering retaking it on June 20th. I released my first MCAT score on my TMDSAS application, but was wondering if should put my planned MCAT or not. Would it mean that schools would not look a my application until the 2nd MCAT score came in? Since the score would not come in till July, would it be better just to have my first MCAT score and have my application looked at early, or to retake the MCAT? Thanks

I know it's going to be VERY difficult to get an interview with my stats, but anyone have any tips/advice for this cycle as an OOS applicant? I went to Texas 4 years ago and LOVED it, and I have family in the Houston area. I'm mainly interested in TCOM, but I'm applying to all the med schools on TMDSAS because why not? (unless there really is a reason not to?) I'm planning to submit my primary on 6/7.

TMDSAS Stats: ~3.3 cGPA, ~3.2 sGPA, 26 MCAT (9/7/10)
Lots of clinical/non clinical volunteering
DO/MD shadowing
Great LORs

I know it's going to be VERY difficult to get an interview with my stats, but anyone have any tips/advice for this cycle as an OOS applicant? I went to Texas 4 years ago and LOVED it, and I have family in the Houston area. I'm mainly interested in TCOM, but I'm applying to all the med schools on TMDSAS because why not? (unless there really is a reason not to?) I'm planning to submit my primary on 6/7.

TMDSAS Stats: ~3.3 cGPA, ~3.2 sGPA, 26 MCAT (9/7/10)
Lots of clinical/non clinical volunteering
DO/MD shadowing
Great LORs

I'm also OOS, and from what I've seen it's actually recommended to apply to all the schools. As for improving chances.... Apply early? I'm submitting on Sunday too! At this point I'm not sure what else you can do.

I'm also OOS, and from what I've seen it's actually recommended to apply to all the schools. As for improving chances.... Apply early? I'm submitting on Sunday too! At this point I'm not sure what else you can do.
Yeah I guess the best thing to do is apply early and write compelling essays and hope :D

Not sure if anyone else has asked this yet, but you mentioned that schools cannot be added once the app has been submitted. Do you know how it will work once Dell and UTRGV med schools have received accreditation? I know they are both in the process, set to open Fall 2016, but until they're fully accredited they aren't on the TMDSAS app.

I'm starting to submit secondaries without all my letters in. Is this a bad idea?

Not sure if anyone else has asked this yet, but you mentioned that schools cannot be added once the app has been submitted. Do you know how it will work once Dell and UTRGV med schools have received accreditation? I know they are both in the process, set to open Fall 2016, but until they're fully accredited they aren't on the TMDSAS app.
TMDSAS will email everyone and we will be able to add those 2 schools to our application.

I created a thread about this earlier but I am hoping someone in this thread can help me with my situation.

Two of my professors (humanities professor and Calculus professor) have both sent in a letter of recommendation for me already. One of my professors, a Physical Chemistry professor, told me he would write me the best letter of recommendation since I made an A in that class. He sent the letter to TMDSAS without a letterhead and signature despite me telling him many times that the letter needed both and despite Interfolio also listing this in their directions. TMDSAS sent me a message saying that they are rejecting the letter because of this. He also sent in the letter way later than the rest of my professors despite having over 5 months to write it.

I e-mailed him back asking him if he could please send in the letter again with the letterhead and signature this time and he said "Sure! I'll do that soon." (I sent this e-mail to him last week)

Today I sent him a reminder e-mail and he emailed me back saying "I can't do anything about it now, I'm leaving the town for a few weeks and won't have internet connection."

I feel so horrible right now. I don't know what to do!

I created a thread about this earlier but I am hoping someone in this thread can help me with my situation.

Two of my professors (humanities professor and Calculus professor) have both sent in a letter of recommendation for me already. One of my professors, a Physical Chemistry professor, told me he would write me the best letter of recommendation since I made an A in that class. He sent the letter to TMDSAS without a letterhead and signature despite me telling him many times that the letter needed both and despite Interfolio also listing this in their directions. TMDSAS sent me a message saying that they are rejecting the letter because of this. He also sent in the letter way later than the rest of my professors despite having over 5 months to write it.

I e-mailed him back asking him if he could please send in the letter again with the letterhead and signature this time and he said "Sure! I'll do that soon." (I sent this e-mail to him last week)

Today I sent him a reminder e-mail and he emailed me back saying "I can't do anything about it now, I'm leaving the town for a few weeks and won't have internet connection."

I feel so horrible right now. I don't know what to do!
Is he one of the ones you placed in for the required letters?

If yes, I would just remove him and find someone else that will write you a letter in a timely manner.

Is he one of the ones you placed in for the required letters?

If yes, I would just remove him and find someone else that will write you a letter in a timely manner.

But it would probably take longer if I contact another professor, especially since it's summer now, and ask them to write me a letter.
I am wondering if I should just wait until the professor who is going away for a few weeks comes back. I am probably going to contact him tomorrow and ask him if he could upload the letter again with a letter head and signature this time as soon as he gets back.
The letter is written, he just has to put a letterhead on it and sign it. But he can be a jerk so I am scared if he will even do it.

Ugh this is so frustrating :(

But it would probably take longer if I contact another professor, especially since it's summer now, and ask them to write me a letter.
I am wondering if I should just wait until the professor who is going away for a few weeks comes back. I am probably going to contact him tomorrow and ask him if he could upload the letter again with a letter head and signature this time as soon as he gets back.
The letter is written, he just has to put a letterhead on it and sign it. But he can be a jerk so I am scared if he will even do it.

Ugh this is so frustrating :(
I completely understanding. As long as you have everything else done, I think getting the letter in a few weeks will be fine. I'm still waiting on a letter myself. Just make sure that he will do it whenever he gets back. You might want to contact another professor and explain your situation, that way you have a Plan B just in case.

I completely understanding. As long as you have everything else done, I think getting the letter in a few weeks will be fine. I'm still waiting on a letter myself. Just make sure that he will do it whenever he gets back. You might want to contact another professor and explain your situation, that way you have a Plan B just in case.

Thanks for your advice SaintedHover! I'll do that.

Do we need to mention every single out of state school that we're applying to?

Apologies if this question has been asked before

Do we need to mention every single out of state school that we're applying to?

Apologies if this question has been asked before
Yeah I find that annoying but I think we do have to. You are certifying that everything on your application is correct, and if you don't list all of them it is by definition not correct.

Hey everyone. I was hesitating to apply to TMDSAS since I just moved to Texas 2 months ago and technically not considered a resident of Texas (based on TMDSAS requirements). But recently I decided to just apply anyway. My stats are not that great: cGPA 3.39, sGPA 3.29 (TMDSAS GPAs, not AACOMAS GPAs), MCAT 29 (Third try). I really am only focusing on TCOM but applying to all schools anyway. I still have to get my Transcripts to TMDSAS as well as my LORs, one of which won't be sent to interfolio by the Doc until next week at the earliest.

My question: is it already considered late in the cycle for OOS applicants? If not what date should I get everything done by (including secondaries)? Also does TCOM recalculate the GPAs in order to factor in retakes?
Well I am glad you decided to apply, it never hurts to try!

First question: I'd say no it is not to late to apply as an OOS applicant. Though it is typically unheard of, I have a friend that applied as a OOS applicant in October and she still received 5 interviews and attends UTMB now. (I'm bias, but she's just awesome! Lol)

Second question: I'd say just get everything done as soon as you can. If you're primarily focusing on TCOM, I'd make that your #1 priority as far as secondaries go.

Last question: Unfortunately, I don't think TCOM recalculates GPAs for retakes like AACOMAS; however, I could be wrong. You might want to go check out TCOM's 2014-2015 application thread and ask there!

Best of luck, I hoped this helped!

For letter of recommendations do we need signatures from the doctor or is their contact information and typed name enough in the letter?

For letter of recommendations do we need signatures from the doctor or is their contact information and typed name enough in the letter?
I believe letterhead or some kind of official heading is the only thing required .

It doesn't have a letterhead, but at the conclusion of the letter (it was done a word document)
sincerely,
dr.xxxx
address
phone number

Thanks so much for your wonderful and well thought out advice. Ill work on my app and hopefully get it done soon. In your opinion when would it be considered too late. With my stats and OOS status, I can't imagine I would get much love from Texas schools especially since I'm applying in June.
I would say anything in July starts to be considered 'late', even for in-state applicants. And hey, you won't know unless you try!

I would say anything in July starts to be considered 'late', even for in-state applicants. And hey, you won't know unless you try!
Idk about this cycle though due to the mcat scores coming out so late. There has to be some kind of leeway.

It doesn't have a letterhead, but at the conclusion of the letter (it was done a word document)
sincerely,
dr.xxxx
address
phone number

One of my letters got rejected for not having an official signature. It also needs to be on official letterhead or will be rejected as well.

This is just WRONG.
Honestly, the idea of "early" application has been droned on and on and has become largely subjective. June-July submission is OK as long as you are not awaiting MCAT scores in August, etc. It is actually by August when you are at a disadvantage because it would take about 3-4 weeks for TMDSAS to transmit your app. By end of August, interview dates up to and including mid-Oct might be filled, leaving you with a small chance of pre-matching.

This is just WRONG.
Honestly, the idea of "early" application has been droned on and on and has become largely subjective. June-July submission is OK as long as you are not awaiting MCAT scores in August, etc. It is actually by August when you are at a disadvantage because it would take about 3-4 weeks for TMDSAS to transmit your app. By end of August, interview dates up to and including mid-Oct might be filled, leaving you with a small chance of pre-matching.
I agree. I did say 'starts to be considered 'late'' with late in quotation marks. However, @AwayFromReality is applying as an OOS applicant so I would think the earlier the better. That's just my opinion though. :)

Is there an appropriate place to discuss "Why Texas?" on the application? I didn't mention anything about it in my PS or the optional essay.

Just got an email from San Anthonio that they've received my application.

Yeah I find that annoying but I think we do have to. You are certifying that everything on your application is correct, and if you don't list all of them it is by definition not correct.

I don't think the Texas schools are really expecting the AMCAS school list to be perfectly accurate. Many of us sent in our TMDSAS application before our AMCAS application. I know in my case that my AMCAS school list changed dramatically just before I sent it in, so my list on TMDSAS is not correct anymore. I'm probably not the only applicant in that situation.

Is there an appropriate place to discuss "Why Texas?" on the application? I didn't mention anything about it in my PS or the optional essay.
I am debating putting something about that in the optional essay section. Does anyone have an opinion on this? @Cawolf did you put anything in your application to explain why texas?

I don't think the Texas schools are really expecting the AMCAS school list to be perfectly accurate. Many of us sent in our TMDSAS application before our AMCAS application. I know in my case that my AMCAS school list changed dramatically just before I sent it in, so my list on TMDSAS is not correct anymore. I'm probably not the only applicant in that situation.
Yes but if it was correct at the time you submitted it, then you didn't lie when you certified the application.

I am debating putting something about that in the optional essay section. Does anyone have an opinion on this? @Cawolf did you put anything in your application to explain why texas?

I used part of the 'Unique Experience' essay for "why Texas". Not really unique I suppose, but I couldn't find any better place to put that information.

I mentioned this in a sentence in my PS. Although I'm OOS, I was a TX resident some years ago and wrote that in the comment box of the residency section.

Status
Not open for further replies.