*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any texas schools give II's via phone? I missed a call from a texas area code today...

Yes, TCOM contacts students via phone to extend an interview invite.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, for the TMDSAS application question "Were you required to contribute to the overall family income (as opposed to working primarily for your own discretionary spending money) while attending elementary and/or high school?" How strictly is contributing counted as? With the money I was payed at work, I regularly used it to by groceries for my family as well as helping pay some medical bills. Does that count?

Also, when it is asking you to calculate percentages for how you paid for college, how accurate do you have to be, and how thoroughly is it checked? I don't know how to completely calculate this. (sorry for the double post)

Coming in late to the game...hello!

Once this question gets answered, I can press submit on my application! :D With that said....

Recently, something didn't work out with the job I was going to have for my gap year, so I had to delete that from my planned activities. Now all I have is the exec position I am going to keep at my co-op (since I plan on staying where I am at if I can find a job here) and the volunteer activity I plan on continuing, but I don't have any employments to list anymore. Does it look bad that I don't have anything under employment/healthcare stuff? Would it be better to say that I am currently looking for job so that way it won't look like I'm bumming around for a year? I have submitted job apps, but haven't heard anything back yet, so I can't put anything and I'm worried it just looks like I'm going to sit and do nothing for my gap year when that is not the truth. Any advice?

Thank you for your time and help in advance!

P.S. I am currently a campus tour guide for my school; maybe I can just put that on the planned activities? I technically don't know what that will end since it is partially dependent on whether I will get a job or not.

Reactions: 1 user
@ayumasing
You present a valid concern. The best mode of action is to be as thorough and concise as possible with your planned activities. If you are currently anticipating a specific job mention it and in the description indicate that you are in the process of applying for that job. The tour guide is a nice activity to include so make sure you add it. My company, the Trump Organization, values any experience that demonstrates a sense of positive personal contribution to meaningful organizations. I doubt medical schools would be any different. Good luck and vote Trump.

Mr. Trump

Who all has received invites for interviews? If so, what date was your app transmitted to the schools? Starting to get a little anxious from all the silence.

Anyone from OOS receive II's? I have yet to hear from Dell regarding a secondary.

Is anyone else getting this annoying message when trying to submit their essays?

"Please remove special characters. (For example, <, >, =, @, * are some of the characters not allowed.)"

I DONT HAVE ANY!
I had the same problem with mine. I ended up just typing the essay word for word from my document instead of just pasting it. In the end, i didn't change anything and still saved it

Who all has received invites for interviews? If so, what date was your app transmitted to the schools? Starting to get a little anxious from all the silence.
Hi guys - just wanted to echo above. It looks like from this thread there have been a few interview requests going out. Generally are we still early in the game?

Have gotten a few IIs but zero word on interviews. Not sure if I should just give this more time in August or whether I should be concerned.

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who applied last year, and applied later in the cycle (I submitted today), how early/late in the year were your interviews? I'm IS and applying to all the TMDSAS schools.

Little dilemma here- so my app was completed on 6/30 and transmitted on 7/23. However, in the future activities section, when I submitted my app, I thought that I would be continuing work as an unpaid research assistant at UTMB for an extra year because I had become very close to my PI, who is the head of pediatric surgery there. However, I just recently got offered an intensive paid research position at at UT Health Science Center and I would be working under a very well-known PI with multiple PhDs. Should I take the offer? Or do medical schools like continuity? I've already gotten out a publication and a poster presentation in my time at UTMB. If I should indeed take the offer from UT Health Science Center, how would I go about updating my app to show that I have switched jobs? Also, will updating my app cause the review process to be delayed?

Thank you so much!

Hi guys - just wanted to echo above. It looks like from this thread there have been a few interview requests going out. Generally are we still early in the game?

Have gotten a few IIs but zero word on interviews. Not sure if I should just give this more time in August or whether I should be concerned.

Thanks so much.

I agree that it's too early in the cycle to be concerned. Im OOS, 3.7/505 with pretty good ECs, transmitted to schools 6/26 and I have heard nothing from tmdsas schools (except secondary requests).

I just submitted my primary today. How much more does TMDSAS penalize late applicants compared to AMCAS? I'm IS but applying to many schools outside of TX as well, but made sure to get my TMDSAS in first.

Little dilemma here- so my app was completed on 6/30 and transmitted on 7/23. However, in the future activities section, when I submitted my app, I thought that I would be continuing work as an unpaid research assistant at UTMB for an extra year because I had become very close to my PI, who is the head of pediatric surgery there. However, I just recently got offered an intensive paid research position at at UT Health Science Center and I would be working under a very well-known PI with multiple PhDs. Should I take the offer? Or do medical schools like continuity? I've already gotten out a publication and a poster presentation in my time at UTMB. If I should indeed take the offer from UT Health Science Center, how would I go about updating my app to show that I have switched jobs? Also, will updating my app cause the review process to be delayed?

Thank you so much!
I think you're over thinking it. Just do which ever one you prefer. If you go for the new job and you are asked about the old one in an interview, just tell them that you were offered an opportunity at the new job and why you wanted to switch. I don't think they will think less of you for moving to a better job that you are more passionate about as long as you can explain it.

I just submitted my primary today. How much more does TMDSAS penalize late applicants compared to AMCAS? I'm IS but applying to many schools outside of TX as well, but made sure to get my TMDSAS in first.
I am not quite sure about penalizing. I didn't know there were protocols for penalizing applicants submitting later than normal. What I do know is that it will take approximately about 4 weeks to process your application if you just turned it in. Atleast, that is what TMDSAS told me when i submitted my app in July.

I'm not sure when this "update" happened but the TMDSAS site only supports IE and Firefox. Are they unaware most internet users use chrome or is this a quirky Texas thing?

I'm not sure when this "update" happened but the TMDSAS site only supports IE and Firefox. Are they unaware most internet users use chrome or is this a quirky Texas thing?
Lol not a Texas thing. The update must've happened just a couple days ago; I could access it on my mobile browser just fine until then. Frustrating and weird.

So, a couple of schools have sent me the email saying they have received my application and to continue to check TMDSAS for my status. Does the status actually change or will I receive a message on the site itself?

So, a couple of schools have sent me the email saying they have received my application and to continue to check TMDSAS for my status. Does the status actually change or will I receive a message on the site itself?
I haven't seen any changes on TMDSAS. Maybe it changes if/when you get accepted somewhere?

TMDSAS is taking foreeeeveeeerrrr to mark my last LOR writer as received. AMCAS notified me of receipt on Aug 11. Is TMDSAS just super slow right now or should I be worrying that it got lost in the mail or something?

I just finished a summer course and I want to send an updated transcript. Is the process the same for updated transcripts where you just attach the TMDSAS form and ask schools to mail it? I know TMDSAS says I can mail it myself but I'd rather let my school do the mailing, I'm just asking about whether I should include the Transcript Request Form.

EDIT: I included the form anyway.

Last edited:
I had to add another course for fall semester to meet a school's prereqs. Does anyone know whether I am supposed to update my courses taken list now, or just wait until the transcripts are out in December?

I had to add another course for fall semester to meet a school's prereqs. Does anyone know whether I am supposed to update my courses taken list now, or just wait until the transcripts are out in December?

You can update in TMDSAS now, and TMDSAS will update with your grade when you submit the transcript for it. I would personally add it now so that the schools can see what my actual current workload is.

Have any of you had an experience with adding an LOR after submission through interfolio? I have given them the information and want to go ahead and submit from interfolio so it can be sent tomorrow before the weekend and any potential adcom meetings early next week. But I don't want to send it over if they aren't quick to update my application. They've been very quick to respond to any messages so I'm just curious how this would be handled. Anyone have insight?

Have any of you had an experience with adding an LOR after submission through interfolio? I have given them the information and want to go ahead and submit from interfolio so it can be sent tomorrow before the weekend and any potential adcom meetings early next week. But I don't want to send it over if they aren't quick to update my application. They've been very quick to respond to any messages so I'm just curious how this would be handled. Anyone have insight?

TMDSAS and interfolio work together very well. It's free to send IF letters to tmdsas. The tmdsas status page tells you how long it'll take for the letter to be added to your app. The queue is short at this point of the cycle so I'd send it now.

TMDSAS and interfolio work together very well. It's free to send IF letters to tmdsas. The tmdsas status page tells you how long it'll take for the letter to be added to your app. The queue is short at this point of the cycle so I'd send it now.
Thanks for the reply! They were very fast at adding the placeholder to my application. I released it from interfolio today at 11:30 am and they sent me an email saying it was uploaded at 12:15. I was so surprised!

Thanks for the reply! They were very fast at adding the placeholder to my application. I released it from interfolio today at 11:30 am and they sent me an email saying it was uploaded at 12:15. I was so surprised!
This is to add the optional letter? I didn't think that was possible after submitting the application. I guess I'll email them and see what they say!
For some stupid reason I didn't put my third letter because it's optional. But it sounds like everyone is putting 3.

This is to add the optional letter? I didn't think that was possible after submitting the application. I guess I'll email them and see what they say!
For some stupid reason I didn't put my third letter because it's optional. But it sounds like everyone is putting 3.

Yep! Email [email protected] and give them the following info:

Name
TMDSAS ID
Evaluator Information:

Salulation:
First Name
Last Name
Suffix
Relationship
How evaluator will send letter

And then a bit that you release your right to access of the letter.

I submitted a committee letter, and that was my 2nd extra letter, so I'm not sure about 3 letters. Can't hurt to try though.

Yep! Email [email protected] and give them the following info:

Name
TMDSAS ID
Evaluator Information:

Salulation:
First Name
Last Name
Suffix
Relationship
How evaluator will send letter

And then a bit that you release your right to access of the letter.

I submitted a committee letter, and that was my 2nd extra letter, so I'm not sure about 3 letters. Can't hurt to try though.
Yeah my school doesn't do committee letter so I have 3 individual letters, 2 are mandatory (or 1 committee letter), but then you have the option of adding one more letter (which in your case is #2, in mine #3).
I just emailed them, probably won't get through until Monday but that's OK. I figure maybe Dell Med will want to interview me after they get letter #3. A girl can hope...

Yeah my school doesn't do committee letter so I have 3 individual letters, 2 are mandatory (or 1 committee letter), but then you have the option of adding one more letter (which in your case is #2, in mine #3).
I just emailed them, probably won't get through until Monday but that's OK. I figure maybe Dell Med will want to interview me after they get letter #3. A girl can hope...

That is exactly my thought with Dell! Except I'm still hoping for a secondary. Fingers crossed for both of us!

I've looked at the school threads and the first wave of IIs are being sent out. A couple have been to OOS. I'm cautiously optimistic since I submitted in late June but I know my stats aren't spectacular and I don't have TX connections.

Reactions: 1 users
If I submitted late June, completed secondaries mid July, and haven't heard from any school yet, is it time to start thinking about next cycle? Seems people getting II now submitted after me. IS, 67 LizzyM

If I submitted late June, completed secondaries mid July, and haven't heard from any school yet, is it time to start thinking about next cycle? Seems people getting II now submitted after me. IS, 67 LizzyM
Absolutely not lol. There's like 50-70% of the interviewing season still remaining!

Reactions: 1 users
Where do we go to see if we have a status change. Such as "under review"? TMDSAS?

Where do we go to see if we have a status change. Such as "under review"? TMDSAS?
I'm pretty sure there aren't any. I have received "under review" emails from several of the schools and nothing has changed on TMDSAS.

Sorry idk if this has been asked before because I didn't want to scroll through 14 pages of thread -- How does one go about sending an update to TMDSAS schools? Do you email the TMDSAS and they contact the schools or do you send an email to each school? Or is it frowned upon unless you have an interview?

Thanks!

Sorry idk if this has been asked before because I didn't want to scroll through 14 pages of thread -- How does one go about sending an update to TMDSAS schools? Do you email the TMDSAS and they contact the schools or do you send an email to each school? Or is it frowned upon unless you have an interview?

Thanks!
If you are updating your personal contact info, etc. that should be done immediately.
I'm not sure what the rest of the "updates" fall under

Any info on UTRGV?
I'm keeping a really close eye on that as well. All I've heard is that they're still planning on accepting a class this year, and someone who interviewed at San Antonio heard the dean say that the school would open up to accept applications sometime in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.