Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving! Anyone else feel like they're taking a long time to give out interviews? I was complete on September 30 and still haven't received an interview.
What were your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

What were your stats?
507 MCAT, 3.74cgpa, 3.5sgpa. I'm a reapplicant from last year; was complete last year 11/30 and they got back to me within 5 weeks. Been about two months now this year and I submitted a month earlier.

Interviews just started in October. OSU runs later than other schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
True but I feel like 2 months is a pretty long turnaround.

It
507 MCAT, 3.74cgpa, 3.5sgpa. I'm a reapplicant from last year; was complete last year 11/30 and they got back to me within 5 weeks. Been about two months now this year and I submitted a month earlier.

It took me about 3 months to get mine. It's worth the wait.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many do they interview at one time?

Does anyone know of the statistics on acceptances? How many apply, get II invite, accepted?

Does anyone know of the statistics on acceptances? How many apply, get II invite, accepted?

last year around 3000 applied for 300 interview invites for a class of 115. Don't know how many they accept out of the 300 though..

last year around 3000 applied for 300 interview invites for a class of 115. Don't know how many they accept out of the 300 though..
I'd assume they'd give out about half direct acceptances maybe 80ish? and waitlist enough to fill the remaining places as well as people who choose other schools. I was told that waitlisting wasn't the "end of the world" because ~<50 (half) of the entering class is from the waitlist.

I was in the very last interview interview group...don't rush it.

When we're you complete last year?

In all honesty with OSU it doesn't matter. I've had 5 friends go through OSU or are still in the program and they all pretty much said the same thing and that is OSU puts a lot of people on their wait list to make sure they don't miss out on a good candidate, then near the end of the cycle they do a lot of movement. I was complete in October.

Speaking of which, I just got waitlisted :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What were your stats? When did you interview?
II week before thanksgiving. Lizzy 63. My mcat is considered pretty good. Plus I was told I answered the Qs "very nicely."

Accepted! I am so excited :D Completed: 9/27, II: 11/9, Interview: 11/18, Accepted: 11/29, ISS
I hope this helps all of you! I was about to give up on an II after waiting so long but don't lose hope! When I was talking with the admissions advisor she said that there was a LOT of movement on the admissions process in general. Just be sure to send in updates with your grades, new shadowing, volunteering, etc. Best of luck everyone!

For those of you accepted, is there a facebook group or anything? I'd love to meet my future classmates!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So I was accepted to OSU a few weeks ago and was wondering if a current student could provide and explanation as to why the board pass rate has been dropping the past couple of years.

I know there was a change in curriculum recently and that how prepared someone is for boards depends entirely on the individual. I'm just wondering if the huge drop, from mid 90's to mid 70's, is somehow a result of how the school presents information during the preclinical years.

Has anyone, or does anyone know of somebody, who was waitlisted this round and has already been taken off the wait list and accepted?? Just wondering when I should expect for my disposition to change, if it does at all...

So I was accepted to OSU a few weeks ago and was wondering if a current student could provide and explanation as to why the board pass rate has been dropping the past couple of years.

I know there was a change in curriculum recently and that how prepared someone is for boards depends entirely on the individual. I'm just wondering if the huge drop, from mid 90's to mid 70's, is somehow a result of how the school presents information during the preclinical years.

That may be the first time pass rate, but they had 100% match rate. They had a curriculum change, but it's fixed now.

Has anyone, or does anyone know of somebody, who was waitlisted this round and has already been taken off the wait list and accepted?? Just wondering when I should expect for my disposition to change, if it does at all...

You have a LONG time until you need to start worrying. It's sit tight.

@DNC127 addressed this on a different page of this thread. Long story short, board pass rates are a result of the students, not the school itself.

For those asking about a Facebook page to meet your classmates:

The class of 2020 officers will likely create that Facebook page sometime next semester - hang tight until then! A lot of students are still making decisions about where they want to go since it's still early in the cycle.

Additionally there is only ONE Facebook page and it is both an official school page and one that students may talk freely on. There are no faculty members on the facebook page and it is run by the class officers for the class. The class of 2020 class officers will run your class of 2021 Facebook page until you elect your class officers in the first month or two of school.

I think OrdinaryDO might have been thinking about the graduate students at OSU who have their own group message or page to speak freely about assignments that do not pertain to the medical students. However those graduate students are also on your medical school class page for the first semester of classes due to a curriculum overlap. After that semester they are removed and only your classmates graduating 2021 will be on your page.

Long story short - don't sweat the Facebook page! It's coming soon next semester!

Reactions: 2 users
I had a surface pro for 2 weeks (replaced my old macbook) then gave it to my little brother and got another macbook... Apple is simply better. I am not a techy person so I don't care about the ins and outs all I care about is usability and apple wins by a lot IMO. iPad pro is just a really powerful iPad but the keyboard is AMAZING for a tablet keyboard and the apple pencil is perfect for taking notes on slides.

Surface Book....... Best of both worlds..

Accepted on 11/29! Greatest phone call I've ever received. Interviewed on 11/18. Congrats to all and look forward to spending the next few years with everyone!

@DNC127 addressed this on a different page of this thread. Long story short, board pass rates are a result of the students, not the school itself.

I don't think that this is is true. The change in pass rates was most definitely due to the change in curriculum and not the caliber of the students. Its getting better though! The pass rate for my class was mid 80's so roughly a 10percent bump from the mid 70's of the class ahead of me. I think what made the biggest difference was the extra dedicated board study time. Personally I think that the curriculum is less intense than it was, but this shouldn't make a huge difference if you put in the extra time throughout your first and second years. First semester is rough but when systems start you have a lot more time to do stuff like board prep.

Accepted on 11/29! Greatest phone call I've ever received. Interviewed on 11/18. Congrats to all and look forward to spending the next few years with everyone!

congrats! Don't hesitate to ask any of us questions! Except @Tdw68 .... don't ask him anything ;)

Please correct me if I am wrong and certainly add more :scared:

Are the match rates ~98%?

I believe I read that somewhere.

Yeah I think there were 2 people last year that didn't match out of ~115. Not sure if those people ended up placing through SOAP or what.

I don't think that this is is true. The change in pass rates was most definitely due to the change in curriculum and not the caliber of the students. Its getting better though! The pass rate for my class was mid 80's so roughly a 10percent bump from the mid 70's of the class ahead of me. I think what made the biggest difference was the extra dedicated board study time. Personally I think that the curriculum is less intense than it was, but this shouldn't make a huge difference if you put in the extra time throughout your first and second years. First semester is rough but when systems start you have a lot more time to do stuff like board prep.
This is different information than what we were told, but I did hear it second hand. But my larger point was that it isn't like the school is holding people back from passing boards. If you are dedicated and study well, you can pass boards no matter what curriculum the school chooses.

ya usually they are 99-100% I believe.

Interviewed today... Felt that it went well... Now the wait.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when approximately they start taking people from the waitlist?

For those asking about a Facebook page to meet your classmates:

The class of 2020 officers will likely create that Facebook page sometime next semester - hang tight until then! A lot of students are still making decisions about where they want to go since it's still early in the cycle.

Additionally there is only ONE Facebook page and it is both an official school page and one that students may talk freely on. There are no faculty members on the facebook page and it is run by the class officers for the class. The class of 2020 class officers will run your class of 2021 Facebook page until you elect your class officers in the first month or two of school.

I think OrdinaryDO might have been thinking about the graduate students at OSU who have their own group message or page to speak freely about assignments that do not pertain to the medical students. However those graduate students are also on your medical school class page for the first semester of classes due to a curriculum overlap. After that semester they are removed and only your classmates graduating 2021 will be on your page.

Long story short - don't sweat the Facebook page! It's coming soon next semester!
The Facebook page I was talking about was the one you mentioned in your post here. The Facebook is created by officials at OSU and not independent individuals entering this year. I'm not sure which post you are referring to so I can't check to see what I wrote, lol.

Does anyone know when approximately they start taking people from the waitlist?
...I'm going to pull my hair out :D...Patience is virtue..Waitlist applicants will come off in 2017. The interview season began just 2 months ago.

This is different information than what we were told, but I did hear it second hand. But my larger point was that it isn't like the school is holding people back from passing boards. If you are dedicated and study well, you can pass boards no matter what curriculum the school chooses.

I mean you aren't wrong. Med school does come down to how hard the individual is willing to work, but I know for sure at least one system course was watered down. Dr Garringer was the professor who was in charge of the neuro systems course. My class was the last to have her teach us. Neuro was by far the most difficult systems class that we took, yet she complained that the school had made her water down the course to fit into the new systems curriculum.

The Facebook page I was talking about was the one you mentioned in your post here. The Facebook is created by officials at OSU and not independent individuals entering this year. I'm not sure which post you are referring to so I can't check to see what I wrote, lol.

...I'm going to pull my hair out :D...Patience is virtue..Waitlist applicants will come off in 2017. The interview season began just 2 months ago.
Well you know for some of us who haven't been accepted anywhere yet, it's a little stressful not knowing the future.Sure waitlist has a postive trend and Yes patience is virtue but curiosity about when you'll likely hear next from admissions is not wrong. For those wanting to gain further information on the entire application process....isn't that clearly what this forum is for? :D

Reactions: 2 users
Can anyone recommend apartments? Safety over cost :laugh:

How far away are you willing to live? There are a lot on riverside. Just google "Riverside Apartments Tulsa, OK" feel free to PM me for questions. I can get you pictures of the apartment and area of you'd like.

I understand. However, for those of you who are so eager to know this answer and keep posting about it you all sure don't look very hard. This answer has been posted several times, which is why I responded how I did. You could call up to the school and ask as well since they are very friendly and helpful. Waitlisted individuals are looked at every time a new group of candidates are considered. They can choose you at ANY TIME. However, the trend from previous years shows that most students come off the waitlist near the end of the application season. There are OSU threads dating back years for you to read if you just feel like it.

Ok dude you need to seriously chill. This is a PUBLIC online forum, not personalized for YOU, where anyone in the WORLD can post what they want as long as it doesn't bully/hurt anyone. I don't care if it's been posted a bunch of times on this thread or the others. Unlike you, I'm busy with school and work and interviews and I don't have time to go back and spend hours looking through EvERY SINGLE conversation from this and threads from the past. Yeah I could call the admissions office but SO WHAT if I instead tried this route? What's the big DEAL? Why are you so mad?? If you don't want to respond to my question then DON'T SAY ANYTHING. Simple? You must have a lot of free time to get so worked up over PETTY things and start arguments with people online but I'll do us a favor and end it right here. Have fun as you type up your backlashing argument.

I'm not sure where you misunderstood my comment, but undoubtedly you did somewhere. I am not mad at all, in fact I laugh at situations like this. Why do I laugh? Because I was the one that answered your very same question days earlier and if you scroll up a little or maybe one page back you will see what I am talking about. You are the one getting worked up, not I. I do nothing but offer help on these forums. I have an inbox full of questions and personal statements for me to read and give feedback just because I know the stressors of applying and I wanted to give back to the community that gave so much to me during this time. If you treat people with respect and dignity, it will get you a long ways. Your reply is comical because even though I explained myself I Still have you a thorough answer and yet you decide to get on here and belittle me for helping yet again. Listen, it takes 5 minutes to call OSU and ask Sarah how the waitlist is coming along. Believe me, they are busy and they won't stay on the phone long chit-chatting it up with you so your busy schedule isn't going to take a major hit. Also, in the top right corner you will find a search function. Go ahead and hit that and type in the sub forum and thread you want to specify for your search and type in "waitlist" or "wait list" and boom, your busy schedule is saved once again. Thank you for your time and if you need anymore help, please, feel free to INBOX ME. I'm here to HELP. Lol, my God this application cycle is stressful for some people.

Why have you decided to be the de facto moderator of the OSU thread? Let it go dude, stop blowing up people's alerts with stupid arguments. If they want to ask things over and over then just let them. Remember, this is the same group of people who neurotically check their email during the application cycle even on the weekends when they know nothing will be there.

when I answer a question three times in a week it doesn't make sense when people keep asking it,

Then stop answering it. How hard is it to just not post in response?

Edit: I do actually agree with you that people just need to be patient but no need to get worked up because you are tired of answering their repeated questions, just don't worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you know for some of us who haven't been accepted anywhere yet, it's a little stressful not knowing the future.Sure waitlist has a postive trend and Yes patience is virtue but curiosity about when you'll likely hear next from admissions is not wrong. For those wanting to gain further information on the entire application process....isn't that clearly what this forum is for? :D

don't listen to the salty people! Just keep up the good work and keeping hoping for the best. Trust me ordinary DO's post now and last year were uncalled for and he is on all of the current first years radar that go on these forums as somebody not to even bother with.

most live at nickel creek or tuscany I highly recommend these places.

Reactions: 5 users
That's the thing, I don't get worked up lol. I was saying some people think I am because there is no way to apply tone to a text message. Why would anyone get mad over a silly question. I think it is more funny than anything else. Some people ask questions and the answer is one post above theirs and that it what gets me. I never get mad about things on SDN, but it gets annoying when people call you out because they misunderstood something they read.

Edit: who said I'm moderating anything? I am giving my opinion on an open thread. Why do you think I'm moderating this forum? I could really care less if they asked it a hundred times but that's not going to stop me from saying "hey, this questions been asked 99 times before you."

he got bugged because you were being a jerk. Not everyone has been trolling SDN for years and know to look back on threads. Chill out or I can bet you won't have many friends next year if your future classmates figure out who you are. If you are here to help then help and leave it at that.

Reactions: 4 users