Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nvm delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm matriculating here in a few days, just wanted to poke my head in and say good luck to all applicants. I interviewed 9/26/14 accepted sometime the next week and got letter 10/8/14. It definitely helps to apply early.

IS, sgpa 4.0 MCAT 29 masters gpa 3.9 with 1st authored publication.

tips for interviewing here:

-understand why you want to practice on GA residents. Indicate a link to rural or underserved areas anywhere in the US.
-understand that many rotation sites for this school are in underserved areas (this does not exclude urban rotation sites, just understand the school's goals)
-focus on primary care, and indicate your interest in a primary care field
-understand potential issues in medical training such as number of medical graduates : available residency spots and offer solutions
-understand challenges of working in rural and underserved areas
-indicate a commitment to serve others and be able to demonstrate this in your past
-indicate resiliency to continuing difficulty and be prepared to demonstrate in your past
-make sure you have a few stories about past challenges lined up, and demonstrate how you coped
-how do you deal with stress? (understand that medicine carries with it a huge burden in relationships, and has a high suicide rate; understand that the train you're getting on doesn't stop for a very long time)
-indicate willingness and commitment to lifelong learning (understand that physician training never really ends)
-what would you do if you discovered a student cheating (I threw a curve ball during my interview and stated I would not report the student). Be able to demonstrate critical thinking about ethical decision making.
-be sure to be able to show them how you will change medicine. The best way to serve medicine is by understanding its current needs and indicating a willingness to meet those needs.

Always show during interviews, never tell.

things to ask:

-how much time to you allocate to students so that they can study for boards
-what sort of help do you offer to students who have trouble in their courses
-what sort of help do you offer to students to find a place to live
-how successful are students with families at this school
-indicate a strong interest in the medical school location, and indicate openness and flexibility to relocate

This is not to discourage students who may have other interests (non-primary care/non rural/no interest in staying in GA), but it is to show you what many COMs like to see. Everything I have seen indicates that you can do anything you want after graduating here. Previous classes were highly successful in matching to competitive specialties.

Make sure to stay and ask the medical student assigned to you as many questions as possible. I stayed for an hour after the interviews as I had many questions, and a strong interest in the school.

So far I have been very impressed with how helpful previous years are for each new class, so of course ask questions if you have them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my secondary on July 16, the portal shows everything as being received other than my actual secondary application. Should I wait a little longer to see if it pops up, or should I call admissions? I know they say to not call for status updates but I'm not sure if something went wrong when I submitted the secondary.

Yeah I know what you mean. I hate that they say that cause I have just submitted my payments and supplementals, but like all other schools, I received no email to confirm or status change.

It takes a long long while, I just got a secondary received email last night, submitted jul 10.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my secondary on July 16, the portal shows everything as being received other than my actual secondary application. Should I wait a little longer to see if it pops up, or should I call admissions? I know they say to not call for status updates but I'm not sure if something went wrong when I submitted the secondary.
Same here! I was kinda freaking out, but then I read this today so I am glad it's not just me! Would you post when it shows up as complete just so we can get some sense of a timeline for this school? I'll be sure to do the same!

Same here! I was kinda freaking out, but then I read this today so I am glad it's not just me! Would you post when it shows up as complete just so we can get some sense of a timeline for this school? I'll be sure to do the same!
Remember PCOM get over 15000 applications for all their programs and Philadelphia basically does it all so while they say 15 days it could be much longer. Patience is the name of the game

For those still waiting on the secondary app to be marked as received: mine was marked as received on Aug 12th. So it looks like waiting up to a month for them to process everything is not unusual! :)

I submitted everything on 8/7. Checked today (8/13) and saw that everything was complete! Now to keep my spirits high and hope for that II...

I submitted everything on 8/7. Checked today (8/13) and saw that everything was complete! Now to keep my spirits high and hope for that II...
That's so quick. I sent in my app on aug 3rd and that's the only thing that hasn't been updated as 'received' yet

UPDATE: received an email today (aug 17th) that said secondary was processed today, so now I am complete since everything else has already been received

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
Does anyone know how lenient they are for the 3 individual letters?
I have 2 science letters, and additional letters from my clinical and volunteer experiences, but it is almost impossible to get a letter from a non faculty member..
Has anyone in the past been offered a waiver of somesort?

Thanks

I'm matriculating here in a few days, just wanted to poke my head in and say good luck to all applicants. I interviewed 9/26/14 accepted sometime the next week and got letter 10/8/14. It definitely helps to apply early.

IS, sgpa 4.0 MCAT 29 masters gpa 3.9 with 1st authored publication.

tips for interviewing here:

-understand why you want to practice on GA residents. Indicate a link to rural or underserved areas anywhere in the US.
-understand that many rotation sites for this school are in underserved areas (this does not exclude urban rotation sites, just understand the school's goals)
-focus on primary care, and indicate your interest in a primary care field
-understand potential issues in medical training such as number of medical graduates : available residency spots and offer solutions
-understand challenges of working in rural and underserved areas
-indicate a commitment to serve others and be able to demonstrate this in your past
-indicate resiliency to continuing difficulty and be prepared to demonstrate in your past
-make sure you have a few stories about past challenges lined up, and demonstrate how you coped
-how do you deal with stress? (understand that medicine carries with it a huge burden in relationships, and has a high suicide rate; understand that the train you're getting on doesn't stop for a very long time)
-indicate willingness and commitment to lifelong learning (understand that physician training never really ends)
-what would you do if you discovered a student cheating (I threw a curve ball during my interview and stated I would not report the student). Be able to demonstrate critical thinking about ethical decision making.
-be sure to be able to show them how you will change medicine. The best way to serve medicine is by understanding its current needs and indicating a willingness to meet those needs.

Always show during interviews, never tell.

things to ask:

-how much time to you allocate to students so that they can study for boards
-what sort of help do you offer to students who have trouble in their courses
-what sort of help do you offer to students to find a place to live
-how successful are students with families at this school
-indicate a strong interest in the medical school location, and indicate openness and flexibility to relocate

This is not to discourage students who may have other interests (non-primary care/non rural/no interest in staying in GA), but it is to show you what many COMs like to see. Everything I have seen indicates that you can do anything you want after graduating here. Previous classes were highly successful in matching to competitive specialties.

Make sure to stay and ask the medical student assigned to you as many questions as possible. I stayed for an hour after the interviews as I had many questions, and a strong interest in the school.

So far I have been very impressed with how helpful previous years are for each new class, so of course ask questions if you have them.
This is great help! Thanks! So, since you have experience in the whole process, how would you say we should approach the secondary essay? I applied last year and it got me an interview. But, I'm pretty sure that I can't use the same essay, right?

This is great help! Thanks! So, since you have experience in the whole process, how would you say we should approach the secondary essay? I applied last year and it got me an interview. But, I'm pretty sure that I can't use the same essay, right?

I cannot remember the secondary for gaPCOM, but I did my due diligence and research on each question for every application. The approach I took for secondaries was to get through them as quickly as I could so that I could finish my application and get an interview. I'd also update the essay for second year applicants. You are not the same person as you were last year so why show people that you are the same person, or worse, lazy? Furthermore, during the next interview be prepared to explain how you have changed. In my experience, being a second year applicant only helps the application because it shows commitment. Don't deter the advantage by being lazy.

Last edited:
Finally got marked complete!

I cannot remember the secondary for gaPCOM, but I did my due diligence and research on each question for every application. The approach I took for secondaries was to get through them as quickly as I could so that I could finish my application and get an interview. I'd also update the essay for second year applicants. You are not the same person as you were last year so why show people that you are the same person, or worse, lazy? Furthermore, during the next interview be prepared to explain how you have changed. In my experience, being a second year applicant only helps the application because it shows commitment. Don't deter the advantage by being lazy.
Yeah, I hated the concept of using the same essay. I have much more to share and a persistent drive I want the committee to see this time around. I'm just hoping that I get the chance to show that I have grown in an interview.

Last edited:
Anyone else still missing their LoE on the portal? all my other schools (besides LECOM) has them so I think it's just that they are swamped. I emailed them a few days ago, but I don't expect a response for a while.

Had the same issue back when I submitted, apparently it just shows one of the scores. When I checked multiple times it would change to the new one and back to the old one. Admissions confirmed that it wasn't an issue and that they had all my scores. Hope this helps!

This occurs with me as well

has anyone received an interview here. Thanks. Is it possible to get an interview at both campuses

PCOM PA sent out their first II to IS'ers yesterday and today....any GA residents out there get one here?

I'm a Florida resident, obsessed with Georgia (boyfriend went to grad school there) and I've been excited about this program for years. I just submitted my secondary today, fingers crossed!

PCOM PA sent out their first II to IS'ers yesterday and today....any GA residents out there get one here?
Remember different Committees and different dates for interviews. They do not do it the same way on both campuses, PHL has many many more interviews so may start earlier

what are the stats for prom Georgia, I know they aren't the same for PCOM PA thanks

Pcom GA incoming class of 2019 had an average gpa of 3.4 and a MCAT of 26 with 4900 applicants.

Anyone know how long it takes them to receive the LORs after sending them from interfolio?

^^ I'd like to know as well. I sent mine on August 26th and it still doesn't show that it was received.

^^ I'd like to know as well. I sent mine on August 26th and it still doesn't show that it was received.
You can call the Philly campus but if the letters were sent before they got your application you are going to have to have them sent again. Happened to me last year. My writers were on the ball and sent them in August but PCOM did not have my app until September.

Hey y'all, how much time did it take between your AACOMAS app being verified and getting a secondary? My app was verified on August 31st and I haven't received an email of any kind from either PCOM campus yet, so I was just curious. Thanks!

Hey y'all, how much time did it take between your AACOMAS app being verified and getting a secondary? My app was verified on August 31st and I haven't received an email of any kind from either PCOM campus yet, so I was just curious. Thanks!

I was verified 7/29 and got the secondary 8/5.

This thread has been really quiet. Any one hear anything recently?

interview invite this morning!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm thinking of applying this cycle. I need to get my AACOMAS open and my letters together.

Stats :
MCAT : 510; 126, 129, 127, 128
cGPA : 3.6
sGPA : 3.3-3.4

If I get my app in by late Oct., might I see an II?

I had an interview here on Friday. Everyone was super nice and I was very impressed. I was only complete about a week before getting an interview and honestly was surprised to be getting one from here and so soon. My interview invite was sent on Wednesday so I'm guessing someone dropped?
Quick facts

3rd cycle applying (1st here)
3.54 overall GPA
502 MCAT
Good ECs (AED various leadership positions)
ER scribe
Birmingham, AL resident (I was the only one from OOS and probably only one not from metro ATL)

I had an interview here on Friday. Everyone was super nice and I was very impressed. I was only complete about a week before getting an interview and honestly was surprised to be getting one from here and so soon. My interview invite was sent on Wednesday so I'm guessing someone dropped?
Quick facts

3rd cycle applying (1st here)
3.54 overall GPA
502 MCAT
Good ECs (AED various leadership positions)
ER scribe
Birmingham, AL resident (I was the only one from OOS and probably only one not from metro ATL)

I remember you. You had something in common with the admissions coordinator right? I also enjoyed the interview day very much and was impressed by the students and faculty. There was another interviewee at my table from out of state. Everyone I spoke with got their invite on Tues or Wed so I don't think you received one due to drop. Hopefully we will be classmates next year!

I remember you. You had something in common with the admissions coordinator right? I also enjoyed the interview day very much and was impressed by the students and faculty. There was another interviewee at my table from out of state. Everyone I spoke with got their invite on Tues or Wed so I don't think you received one due to drop. Hopefully we will be classmates next year!

Hahaha yes that is me! We both went to Auburn so we were the ones talking about our classes and how much fun it was haha. Yes I hope so too. Can't believe we have to wait on snail mail!

Another OOS? Oh, I guess I didn't hear them speak up when she asked.

I know t
Hahaha yes that is me! We both went to Auburn so we were the ones talking about our classes and how much fun it was haha. Yes I hope so too. Can't believe we have to wait on snail mail!

Another OOS? Oh, I guess I didn't hear them speak up when she asked.

Is it bad that I'm already checking my mailbox? Hahaha

Received an II today as well! I just don't know what to do because I've already received acceptance to an MD school. But I like PCOM too....

Received an II today as well! I just don't know what to do because I've already received acceptance to an MD school. But I like PCOM too....

If I was nasty I would say forfeit for people who truly want or need a DO interview/acceptance but it's your call on what you like more.

Congratulations on the acceptance though.:)

Ugh, so torn. Already accepted to another school that I really like but PCOM is 30 mins from my house and it's PCOM! Not sure what I'm going to do...