Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OMSII here, basically if you ask for J-track, you will probably get it since there's so many spots. Anchor spots are more desired by people with families or people who already have ties in that area (family/lived there before). There's also a lot of crap said about J-track like people being dropped (happens on anchors too) or just bad experiences overall but it IS what you make it. Lots of students are lazy or expect the school to do everything for them which WILL not happen. As long as you're proactive, you'll be fine. Also, j-track is not just metro Atlanta, you can be all the way in Valdosta or Savannah too (which they provide housing for).

In regards to boards, I'm pretty sure the majority, if not all, of the other DO schools get designated time off for board studying. WE DO NOT! So that's also something to think about when considering ga-pcom.

In regards to IS/OOS, I want to say we have a lot of OOS students (I'm from NC). So if you're from somewhere like Texas, don't assume that you won't get in based on your location but do be prepared to stay in GA atleast til 4th year. I know some students who try to do their 3rd year rotations in a different state besides our already preset sites in FL and PA and it's just not happening. These are all definitely things to consider when choosing which school to attend!
Thanks for the info! How are you approaching preparing for the boards? Is it something that you supplement along with your daily studying? Is it possible to do that? One of the students at my interview mentioned something about taking a month off to study for boards? I believe she said that you could take a month at that time or take it between the end of 4th year and residency. Does that sound right? Thanks again for all of the info.

Members don't see this ad.

Ah I have watched a couple of groups already coming into the library to do the questions portion of the interview. You kids are so cute! Some things that you should note on your visit that I was amused by: many people are just hanging out and having a good time (well, at least I do with my friends). This is a real thing. The campus has an awesome community vibe going on and OMS1 communicates very well with OMS2. I think that having such a small campus where everyone CAN know each other is a huge factor that you should consider when interviewing at different schools.

The library space is a big deal but not a deal breaker. Here's the rundown: Pharmacy, Biomedical, OMS1, and OMS2 all have their own test blocks and it's really apparent when those are, judging only by the available parking spaces and the available study space on any given day. Parking is never an issue due to the expanded lot, but don't expect to always have a group study room to yourself or a cubicle desk. Some of the people here can be dinguses about it and leave their things in the quiet study rooms (computers, books, food) and will run off to class and come back.

What you need to remember is that OMS1 and OMS2 have their OWN lecture halls which are on separate sides of the building (they are huge if you did not see them). They are always quiet and roomy with the occasional person coming in. The great thing about this is that if you EVER run out of study space get some headphones and go into your lecture hall and study. Rarely are the lecture halls used OUTSIDE of lecture hours so this is a safe bet. I have needed to do this all of one time. People will leave you alone if you want to be left alone.

I want to emphasize that I use the library study space almost every day, and I have stopped going to ~50% of lectures, so finding a study space isn't a problem if I get to the campus at 8 AM UNLESS its a testing day.

By the way the library cubicles here have their own desk lamps and three electrical sockets per cubicle. The ability to plug in my phone, tablet, and laptop makes me happy. Electrical sockets are your studying lifeline. We have a second year who studies in the hallway every day (and weekend) because the chairs are comfortable and there are sockets and whiteboards nearby.

On the topic of electronic resources, I hope you guys are used to reading books on computers because you will get access to all of your books through the library resources. If not, get used to it now because it's much more effective than carrying around tons of books (or buying books). On that same note, avoid reading books in medical school whenever possible.

Thanks for the input. I've interviewed at two medical schools that are newer than GA PCOM and their libraries are a fraction of the size. Many schools seems to be all in on the movement to electronic resources. You could say it is a relatively large library compared to some.

Also I have a question that I posted on the rotations section and I was wondering if any of you knew. I am more curious about this just because I am currently a Birmingham resident. Trinity was the rotation site here but they just moved yesterday to their shiny new building and are being re-badged as Grandview. Does anyone know if they will still be doing rotations at this site?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! How are you approaching preparing for the boards? Is it something that you supplement along with your daily studying? Is it possible to do that? One of the students at my interview mentioned something about taking a month off to study for boards? I believe she said that you could take a month at that time or take it between the end of 4th year and residency. Does that sound right? Thanks again for all of the info.
Well, most people don't start board studying til dec/jan so I honestly have no idea how i'm going to do it yet but yes, you do study along with class.. you have no other option. And yep so you technically get a vacation month (i thought between 3rd and 4th year) which is how you can end up doing EM rotation 3rd year instead of 4th (no places take 3rd years so if you think you might be interested in EM, you're basically screwed). You can take that month and move it up to June between 2nd and 3rd year and use it to study solely for boards, which is what the majority of people do. Honestly though, you have so much more to worry about before you have to worry about boards and rotations, just try to understand the basics and worry about getting into med school/staying in med school for now. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input. I've interviewed at two medical schools that are newer than GA PCOM and their libraries are a fraction of the size. Many schools seems to be all in on the movement to electronic resources. You could say it is a relatively large library compared to some.

Also I have a question that I posted on the rotations section and I was wondering if any of you knew. I am more curious about this just because I am currently a Birmingham resident. Trinity was the rotation site here but they just moved yesterday to their shiny new building and are being re-badged as Grandview. Does anyone know if they will still be doing rotations at this site?
Not sure exactly what you're asking but GA-PCOM only has rotation sites in GA, FL, and PA.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, most people don't start board studying til dec/jan so I honestly have no idea how i'm going to do it yet but yes, you do study along with class.. you have no other option. And yep so you technically get a vacation month (i thought between 3rd and 4th year) which is how you can end up doing EM rotation 3rd year instead of 4th (no places take 3rd years so if you think you might be interested in EM, you're basically screwed). You can take that month and move it up to June between 2nd and 3rd year and use it to study solely for boards, which is what the majority of people do. Honestly though, you have so much more to worry about before you have to worry about boards and rotations, just try to understand the basics and worry about getting into med school/staying in med school for now. :)
Thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions. I was just recently accepted to PCOM-GA and I'm trying to decide if I am going to attend my other interviews so all of this info is truly a great help in making that decision.

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of my questions. I was just recently accepted to PCOM-GA and I'm trying to decide if I am going to attend my other interviews so all of this info is truly a great help in making that decision.
Congrats! I would still definitely go to the other interviews. You never know if a different school would be a better fit for you! You'll be there for almost 4 years so you want to go somewhere you'll enjoy and have no regrets. Not saying GAPCOM is or isn't the best haha but it's always good to have options.

Not sure exactly what you're asking but GA-PCOM only has rotation sites in GA, FL, and PA.

I thought I saw where GA PCOM has sites in AL. Maybe it was an old listing.

Yeah I think we used to a couple of years ago until ACOM was built and now they're opening another DO school there.

The second years at GAPCOM are the best. Seriously, every first year's hero is a second year.

Thanks for info on rotations!

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed last Friday and already checking the mail.....anyone else in the same boat? Lol

Thank you so much for this detailed reply! I know it is a bit early to be thinking about rotations but I am married and have children so I am constantly thinking ahead and trying to determine how certain decisions will affect my family. From what I have heard, I won't really have that much say in which track I am put into as it is a lottery system. However, it is nice to hear that it is possible to trade with classmates to try and obtain a certain location. There is a certain specialty I am focused on so I will try and determine which locations have a residency program in that field. Thanks again for all of the information. It is very helpful. I look forward to becoming a part of the PCOM-GA family!

Yes, I COMPLETELY understand :) I'm a VERY non-traditional student myself with a large family. I had my rotation site picked out before I applied, lol, because I came from Warner Robins. The lottery system is very helpful cause you have a chance to move around even if you don't get your first (however many choices available) pick. I don't know how many spots we are able to put in the lottery for us, but I do know that I've made enough good friends that want J-track and (if they don't get that) don't care where else they go.... Some will put WR down as a 2nd choice for me. If we both end up there, then its not bad to be around folks you know and like.

Reactions: 1 users

Like Simbad8 said, ACOM's initial class is now OMS-III, so they are starting to absorb all the rotations there. Plus, with Auburn starting up a school, you shouldn't expect GA-PCOM to hold a strong presence (if any) in AL.

Can any current students comment on the ease of resolving issues once your actually a student? One of my letters was submitted after the initial download of my application. After waiting the 15 business days I called and got zero help. A few days after that I sent an email, got a quick response initially, but then nothing after that. It's been a week since then so I called the office and it was a complete waste of my time. I guess the other schools that I applied to have been super helpful and big on communication and updating things quickly. It's given me a bad impression since it's been a month and a half at this point. Just curious if any one had similar problems or if this problem still exists once your a student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on the ease of resolving issues once your actually a student? One of my letters was submitted after the initial download of my application. After waiting the 15 business days I called and got zero help. A few days after that I sent an email, got a quick response initially, but then nothing after that. It's been a week since then so I called the office and it was a complete waste of my time. I guess the other schools that I applied to have been super helpful and big on communication and updating things quickly. It's given me a bad impression since it's been a month and a half at this point. Just curious if any one had similar problems or if this problem still exists once your a student.
I'll just be blunt, our admissions has had a bad rep in the past so I'm not surprised you're having issues. But, there's been a turnover in who's in charge because a lot of people left so it might just be because it's their first cycle on the job and they haven't gotten the hang of it yet, or they're carrying on tradition. Once you're a student, it's really hit or miss. Some professors are great and will be really helpful and cooperative, and some not so much. Same goes for administration.

@simbad8 okay, I see. Thank you!
You can email with your problem but if they have answered that query in one of their emails they send out to all applicants they are not going to respond. They supply a lot of information and sometimes we just need to read and re read.

You can email with your problem but if they have answered that query in one of their emails they send out to all applicants they are not going to respond. They supply a lot of information and sometimes we just need to read and re read.

Yea, I've already sent an email. They responded and said they needed the name of the letter writer because they could try to retrieve it manually. I provided that info but like I said it's been over a week. Perhaps I'm just being impatient.

Is there a Facebook group for accepted students?

Accepted to GA-PCOM!!! Received acceptance letter by mail this morning! Interviewed on Oct 9

Reactions: 1 users
Nothing in the mail today....all the way in texas though so expecting tomorrow or the next?? Nervous

Got my letter in the mail after work at 0200, Accepted!! Interviewed 10/09.

Sorry if this is in the thread somewhere already, but what time have the interviews been ending?

Sorry if this is in the thread somewhere already, but what time have the interviews been ending?
It depends on whether you are one of the first people pulled out for the interview or one of the last. I was first so I left at around 1:30 I want to say. If you are in the last group I think it could be later like 3

I hope theres a fb group soon for accepted students! I'd love to see if I know any of you :)

I was in the last group and was finished around 3pm.
Oh wow 8-3, that seems pretty long! I live in Atlanta and was going to see if I would be able to get back to work in the afternoon. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh wow 8-3, that seems pretty long! I live in Atlanta and was going to see if I would be able to get back to work in the afternoon. Thanks for the heads up!
My interview day was 10-3 but I got there at 9am to be safe. It was a long day but very enjoyable!

My interview day was 10-3 but I got there at 9am to be safe. It was a long day but very enjoyable!
Oh gotcha! Yeah mine says it starts at 8, so maybe I'm the first group. Thanks!

Love your avatar by the way. What distances do you run? Do you train around Atlanta?
I don't compete much anymore but I try to do a half marathon once a year. And yes, since I'm from the atl area. future running buddies perhaps??

I don't compete much anymore but I try to do a half marathon once a year. And yes, since I'm from the atl area. future running buddies perhaps??
I'm in the same boat. I used to compete at a fairly high level but now I mainly run for fitness and my sanity. I would like to compete in one more race before medical school starts next year. I would love to have a running buddy at school! It is much easier to stay motivated with someone else by your side!

Would any current students be willing to email me a powerpoint slide from one of your lectures? (If they are available). I'm just curious as to what a typical class is like at PCOM.

Would any current students be willing to email me a powerpoint slide from one of your lectures? (If they are available). I'm just curious as to what a typical class is like at PCOM.
lol sure, any preference?

Liked this place but wow SO much waiting around on interview day. Probably spent 3-4 hours just waiting on something. Nice staff, facilities and students!

Accepted! My first one, so I cried like a baby. Waiting on the letter was torture but opening it was awesome.

Reactions: 3 users
Interview day was long I would suggest you book flights that leave later than 4 or 5. There was the 30 minute essay questions in the beginning. That was the worst part to me because im a slow typer. But interview its self wasnt bad. Good luck to everyone!