Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So i just looked at my update, I have a link to make a deposit! Does this mean ACCEPTED cause I am not at home currently to receive snail mail... I dont want to get excited prematurely lol

More than likely, yes. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So i just looked at my update, I have a link to make a deposit! Does this mean ACCEPTED cause I am not at home currently to receive snail mail... I dont want to get excited prematurely lol
I have the same link as well, so congrats!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
What is this "banner" thing?
It's the website where you can see what items (MCAT, Secondary, Letters, Fees, and personal info) the school have received and when. Also called the "Banner Web Services."

Does anyone know how many applications GA-PCOM has received this cycle?

PCOM Ga vs VCOM-CC? Which of the two has a better program?

accepted...interviewed 12/11 ...decisions

Members don't see this ad :)
Started second guessing your PS and essay yet?
No. I'm confident in what I wrote to be the best I could muster at that point in time. GPA and MCAT are good, just need that interview to show who I really am.
Are you?

No. I'm confident in what I wrote to be the best I could muster at that point in time. GPA and MCAT are good, just need that interview to show who I really am.
Are you?
A little -- I turned it around in like 12 hrs. I think I did well. GPA and MCAT are also good.

Is Banner Web down for anyone else? I was wondering if this means they are updating statuses and that the process is chugging along...

Submitted and complete December 7th. I had to get a second job to afford those damn expensive application fees.
Tell me about it. Complete Nov. 30th. I'm only just now able to send in two (technically 4) more -- VCOMs and ACOM. GA-PCOM is my top choice, though.

Tell me about it. Complete Nov. 30th. I'm only just now able to send in two (technically 4) more -- VCOMs and ACOM. GA-PCOM is my top choice, though.

Did you apply to mercer? With your stats, you shouldn't have a problem getting an interview.

My AMCAS sGPA is lower than my AACOMAS due to two math classes. Decided to stick with DO.
Same here. One class redo affected my sGPA by almost 3 tenths of a point.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if being on Hold is a better position to be in or is being on the actual waitlist a better position?

Does anyone know if being on Hold is a better position to be in or is being on the actual waitlist a better position?

I think being on hold might be more advantageous because it means that they are interested in accepting you, but just want to hold off for any academic updates before accepting you.

Are you just on hold or hold for grades or hold for grades & mcat?

For accepted, anyone looked at nucleus? There is a medical questionnaire that is due within 8 weeks of getting our nucleus login, anyone know anything about it? I haven't received an accepted student packet and I've tried calling the school.

For accepted, anyone looked at nucleus? There is a medical questionnaire that is due within 8 weeks of getting our nucleus login, anyone know anything about it? I haven't received an accepted student packet and I've tried calling the school.
I haven't gotten anything either. Have they given us a nucleus login?

I think being on hold might be more advantageous because it means that they are interested in accepting you, but just want to hold off for any academic updates before accepting you.

Are you just on hold or hold for grades or hold for grades & mcat?

I'm on the waitlist, but know several people on hold for MCAT... so I don't see how that's better, as MCAT scores wouldn't be able to be updated until Feb/March unless they just reconsider the same score

I haven't gotten anything either. Have they given us a nucleus login?

I have one. I got it in an email.

I seriously doubt it is that pressing for us. I got accepted in the first wave. It doesn't make sense why they would need it that early.

Last edited:
I have one. I got it in an email.

I seriously doubt it is that pressing for us. I got accepted in the first wave. It doesn't make sense why they would need it that early.
I also got accepted from the first wave but I haven't gotten an email with any nucleus info. When did you get that email?

I'm on the waitlist, but know several people on hold for MCAT... so I don't see how that's better, as MCAT scores wouldn't be able to be updated until Feb/March unless they just reconsider the same score

oh that could be. i'm not completely sure how they determine who gets more favor with regards to waitlist vs holds.

i know from last year people who applied, those that were on hold or on hold for grades heard back before those who were waitlisted. the waitlisted individuals didn't hear back until the summer time. those who were on hold for mcat then heard back they were on waitlist after they sent their scores in.

but things could have changed this year and they could do things differently.

I haven't heard anything from this school and I've been complete since October 30th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also got accepted from the first wave but I haven't gotten an email with any nucleus info. When did you get that email?

I will look and see exactly when, but it was about a week or so after paying the first $ 250 deposit.

I will look and see exactly when, but it was about a week or so after paying the first $ 250 deposit.
Ok thanks. I got an email a few days after I submitted the deposit and technical standards form but it did not have any nucleus info. I will call on Monday and figure it out.

I was compete November 7th or 10th interviewed 12/11 and accepted as well! be patient. I know they recently sent out invites this week my friend got an invite they are usually Tuesday & Wednesdays from what I heard just be patient they are still reviewing files to invite people for interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok thanks. I got an email a few days after I submitted the deposit and technical standards form but it did not have any nucleus info. I will call on Monday and figure it out.
Be patient, also this is not a part of admissions so don't call them. Other departments send out information so just be patient

Be patient, also this is not a part of admissions so don't call them. Other departments send out information so just be patient
I called this morning. I was transferred to student affairs and they helped me out. They had actually sent me an email with the info back in October but the email address was incorrect. It was fixed and I received the email while I was on the phone with them.

I called this morning. I was transferred to student affairs and they helped me out. They had actually sent me an email with the info back in October but the email address was incorrect. It was fixed and I received the email while I was on the phone with them.

Did you happen to ask them about the medical questionnaire? Or about packets?

i really really hope to get a shot here. I shadowed a PCOM attending who wrote very highly of me in his letter. My secondary was so late though due to some bullcrap on one of my teacher's letters. still hopeful

i really really hope to get a shot here. I shadowed a PCOM attending who wrote very highly of me in his letter. My secondary was so late though due to some bullcrap on one of my teacher's letters. still hopeful
When were you complete?

Should I be worried? My application was complete on October 13th. My MCAT is 29, GPA 3.67. And I have great clinical experience as well as a LOR from a reputable surgeon who was not only a student at PCOM but also a chief Resident there. Was I wrong in thinking that I would get an interview or do I still have a chance?

Did you happen to ask them about the medical questionnaire? Or about packets?
No I forgot to ask. I haven't looked at the questionnaire yet but I'll take a look tonight.

Should I be worried? My application was complete on October 13th. My MCAT is 29, GPA 3.67. And I have great clinical experience as well as a LOR from a reputable surgeon who was not only a student at PCOM but also a chief Resident there. Was I wrong in thinking that I would get an interview or do I still have a chance?
Starting to get worried. Still no update from PCOM. :scared:
Hold fast. The holidays have just ended so let's hope for some word soon.

Hold fast. The holidays have just ended so let's hope for some word soon.

This.

Universities/schools aren't exactly the quickest at restarting after holidays. They might be back in the offices but I imagine there's a backlog to be dealt with, so it'll take a week or two to get going, JMO.

Very rarely will I post negative things about a school, but I had a terrible interview experience here. First of all, the school interviews like 50 applicants in one day, which is way too many. Things are disorganized and it is hard to fit all of the interviewees into the rooms they show you during the tour. The interviews are 2 on 1. One of my interviewers, a PhD (asian guy, can't remember his name because they didn't give us the names of our interviewers in writing - also strange), was a total a**hole and disagreed with/contested everything I said. I'm sorry, but what is the purpose of being intentionally antagonistic toward an interviewee? It got to the point where I just started addressing the other interviewer in the room exclusively with my responses. There was no reason to be this way. I am an older non-trad applicant with tons of clinical and real world life experience, and I have never been treated this way in an interview, either for a med school or a job. The school felt like a giant warehouse and the student body did not seem extremely happy. No family/collaborative atmosphere at this school, as is present at other places I've interviewed. GA-PCOM left a bad taste in my mouth.

Very rarely will I post negative things about a school, but I had a terrible interview experience here. First of all, the school interviews like 50 applicants in one day, which is way too many. Things are disorganized and it is hard to fit all of the interviewees into the rooms they show you during the tour. The interviews are 2 on 1. One of my interviewers, a PhD (asian guy, can't remember his name because they didn't give us the names of our interviewers in writing - also strange), was a total a**hole and disagreed with/contested everything I said. I'm sorry, but what is the purpose of being intentionally antagonistic toward an interviewee? It got to the point where I just started addressing the other interviewer in the room exclusively with my responses. There was no reason to be this way. I am an older non-trad applicant with tons of clinical and real world life experience, and I have never been treated this way in an interview, either for a med school or a job. The school felt like a giant warehouse and the student body did not seem extremely happy. No family/collaborative atmosphere at this school, as is present at other places I've interviewed. GA-PCOM left a bad taste in my mouth.
Sorry you had such a bad experience :/ I did hear that there were some interviewers who deliberately contested answers saying things such as "no you studied for the mcat wrong" and other things similar to that. I'm surprised you didn't have the names. Everyone was assigned seats in groups during my interview day and it clearly shows (it was typed up) who is interviewing you. This was useful when I wrote my thank you emails to my interviewers. Maybe he was trying to gauge how to handle uncomfortable situations? I don't know I'm surprised because my interview experience was the opposite. Everything was organized and the students were extremely happy to be there. The few that I talked to turned down some pretty good places (Rowan SOM and NYIT) to go there.