RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you might live in the south if when theres a threat of freezing rain, the school preemptively has 3 hour delay :laugh:
You obviously weren't here for this last year, when they delayed closing before a bit of snow: :p

BgT2R8sCUAAE2E2.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah...I can gripe about never getting a snow day unless there's an actual blizzard, but most southern cities don't have the reources to deal with snow and ****, so it makes sense for them to be more cautious.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get a snow day even when there is a blizzard. :(
I think the requirements here are
- actual blizzard
- a foot of snow already on the ground
- temperatures of -20 degrees or lower (without wind chill)

I imagine it takes even more in the great white north ;)

Reactions: 1 user
- actual blizzard

I enjoyed a couple days per year off in NW Minnesota between the blizzards and then subsequent floods. Haven't had a snow day here since 4th grade, so I can't really say what the requirements would be. :lame:

- actual blizzard

That's interesting, the requirements for my school are:
-If the weatherman has predicted a 30% chance of snow or greater
-The road has a half inch of snow on the ground
-Temperatures of 20 degrees or lower (with wind chill)

That's interesting, the requirements for my school are:
-If the weatherman has predicted a 30% chance of snow or greater
-The road has a half inch of snow on the ground
-Temperatures of 20 degrees or lower (with wind chill)
I like those. They agree more with my Floridian blood.

I like those. They agree more with my Floridian blood.
The sad part (or I guess fortunate part lol) is that my undergrad never used to close. Then they got a new president, and she has closed the school on multiple days where there has been no snow nor anything else. I'm not complaining though :p

The sad part (or I guess fortunate part lol) is that my undergrad never used to close. Then they got a new president, and she has closed the school on multiple days where there has been no snow nor anything else. I'm not complaining though :p
Same thing happened at my undergrad. Our first provost was from Vermont so we didn't get any snow days the first three years I was there. My senior year we got a new provost and BAM, three snow days :laugh:.

I fell off my bed earlier when I was snuggling with my min pin (still not sure how it happened) but managed not to take him down with me. He rushed over to the side of the bed and looked very concerned and gave me a reassuring kiss. It was so sweet. Normally he couldn't care less about me if I fall/trip/stumble.

My favorite horse at my barn has been on stall rest for the last year or so due to a particularly bad suspensory tear. Today I got to ride him for the first time since last January! Just for 15 minutes at a walk, but man, I was so happy about it; I wasn't sure I'd get that opportunity again. Good day. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did my first foreign body removal last night! Plastic decorative flowers, dogs eat some of the weirdest things.

Reactions: 5 users
I accepted a teaching position for this semester, which was exciting at first. But, I was really stressed after I learned that one of the essential parts of my teaching assistantship at my university overlapped.

I came up with like 8 contingency plans because originally, my supervisor said she couldn't move the conflicting meeting. When I met with her today, it turns out she thought of one of the alternatives I'd brainstormed already and was willing to accommodate it.

I hate when jobs conflict, but I love having awesome supervisors. ^_^

I got to hold a chameleon for the first time today at work! She was so cute, she fit in the palm of my hand and weighed only 8 grams. :happy: It was a stressful day at work otherwise, I got a rejection email from Florida about an hour ago, and the wi-fi in my apartment is down, but how could I be in a bad mood when my day's included a critter like that?

Reactions: 2 users
Finished VMRCVM's MMI today, was a much more pleasant experience than anticipated. The most stressful moments were those leading up to the actual process. Once you're in, there truly isn't enough time to even think about stressing. Put your best foot forward and explain yourself well! Good luck to all those interviewing tomorrow!

Found an equine chiropractor/veterinarian who's gonna let me shadow!

Found an equine chiropractor/veterinarian who's gonna let me shadow!

I read this first when my brain was a little fuzzy and saw "equine velociraptor/vet." I was really interested in where I could shadow a dinosaur vet. Still cool as a chiropractor!

I read this first when my brain was a little fuzzy and saw "equine velociraptor/vet." I was really interested in where I could shadow a dinosaur vet. Still cool as a chiropractor!
I'm sure we could enlist Chris Pratt. He may not be a vet, but at that point who cares ;)

I necropsied two "healthy" spent layer chickens for a class today and both actually had super neat lesions. One had a hugely expanded ureter on her right side, and a perfectly little stone wedged in it right at the entrance to the cloaca. Second had a fibrosed, ectopic egg that literally fell out of the body when I pulled the keel up - thought I royally screwed up the dissection at first!

I took a our "raptor medicine" selective a couple semesters ago, and while telling someone back home about it I definitely had to clarify that I meant birds of prey... not dinosaurs. They had a very confused look on for a couple seconds.

So a vet student at my first externship who is studying at Melbourne (she's from the US originally) introduced to me to the wonderful world of Tim Tams and what is called a "Tim Tam Slam." Super excited to see that I can get Tim Tams through Amazon.

So a vet student at my first externship who is studying at Melbourne (she's from the US originally) introduced to me to the wonderful world of Tim Tams and what is called a "Tim Tam Slam." Super excited to see that I can get Tim Tams through Amazon.

What is a Tim Tam exactly????

Also, I miss Kinder eggs...

It's this chocolatey wafer thing that is delicious. A Tim Tam Slam involves biting off a tiny part of the corners diagonally from each other and drinking hot chocolate/coffee through them. This causes the Tim Tam to begin to melt and you'll feel it soften. At this point, you take the whole thing and shove it in your mouth and it just melts into chocolatey goodness.

It's this chocolatey wafer thing that is delicious. A Tim Tam Slam involves biting off a tiny part of the corners diagonally from each other and drinking hot chocolate/coffee through them. This causes the Tim Tam to begin to melt and you'll feel it soften. At this point, you take the whole thing and shove it in your mouth and it just melts into chocolatey goodness.

:eek:

I want!

Kinder Eggs :cryi:.

My dad ordered me like a 30 pack of those from somewhere in Europe my freshman year of undergrad and miraculously they actually made it without being confiscated!

Already been granted a snow day from my externship tomorrow night in anticipation for the 10-24 inches of snow Philly is apparently supposed to get. I'd be heading into my externship right when the storm would be at it's worse, so I appreciated them telling me early today that I don't have to come in.

Also kind of excited to see what my 1-ish ft tall corgi mix does with potentially two feet of snow.

Last edited:
Already been granted a snow day from my externship tomorrow night in anticipation for the 10-24 inches of snow Philly is apparently supposed to get. I'd be heading into my externship right when the storm would be at it's worse, so I appreciated them telling me early today that I don't have to come in.

Also kind of excited to see what my 1-ish ft tall corgi mix does with potentially two feet of snow.
requesting pictures :D

geez, I am not with the news lately. I didn't know another Snowpocalypse was happening. Where is it expected to hit?

Nevermind, looks like it's the usual Eastern states that get hit. I'll be getting a wave of it here in Michigan, but probably not much. Stay safe, everyone!

geez, I am not with the news lately. I didn't know another Snowpocalypse was happening. Where is it expected to hit?

That would be my state, at approximately the same time I'm starting my 10 hour shift, followed by my on-call night. Yay? I'm hoping snow keeps people from getting to their farms to see their sick animals

That would be my state, at approximately the same time I'm starting my 10 hour shift, followed by my on-call night. Yay? I'm hoping snow keeps people from getting to their farms to see their sick animals
Perfect timing, eh?

Be careful! I drove through that storm on my way back to MI from VA today. It was pretty nasty. I was sweating from PA until I entered MI. The snow just stopped and the roads became dry as soon as I crossed into MI.

Be careful! I drove through that storm on my way back to MI from VA today. It was pretty nasty. I was sweating from PA until I entered MI. The snow just stopped and the roads became dry as soon as I crossed into MI.

Will do. I don't really plan on leaving the house except earlier during the day. Made plenty of mac n cheese chili and did my grocery shopping today so I should be set!

Before the spay/neuter clinic this weekend, I brought my roomie's ferret in and took off a small benign skin tumor she has and amputated part of her tail from another (chordoma). The anesthesia I picked went swimmingly, she woke up and immediately started bouncing around like an idiot, and both incisions are looking really good so far - although she looks super silly with a half shaved, short tail!

Probably shouldn't rave about it yet because I'm just asking for her to chew out all her stitches and like... implode, but those were my first non-spay/neuter "solo" (doctor was in the next room) surgeries so I'm pretty chuffed.

(Also, apparently I'm the only rave-y person on SDN...)

Both sets of stitches from the amputation/lumpectomy are out as of earlier today, and everything looks great with them... really happy that her tail has held up despite all the horror stories I read on VIN beforehand. :p

RAVE: waking up this morning and finding out the women who represent the country where a I am from and the country where I grew up make it to the top two :)

paulina-vega-gallery-13-gty.jpg

Miss Colombia Paulina Vega and Miss USA Nia Sanchez onstage during The 63rd Annual Miss Universe Pageant at Florida International University on January 25, 2015 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Alexander Tamargo/Getty Images)

We have a coffee maker at the clinic I work at now! No more having to swing by Starbucks when I desperately need caffeine to make it through my shift. :D Also the maintenance guys for my apartment building have finally started replacing some tiles on our bathroom wall that were falling off due to mold. They were supposed to have taken care of it months ago, but I guess the work order got lost in the cracks when we got yet another new manager. I'm just happy it's finally getting done, it's been quite the eyesore.

We have a coffee maker at the clinic I work at now! No more having to swing by Starbucks when I desperately need caffeine to make it through my shift. :D Also the maintenance guys for my apartment building have finally started replacing some tiles on our bathroom wall that were falling off due to mold. They were supposed to have taken care of it months ago, but I guess the work order got lost in the cracks when we got yet another new manager. I'm just happy it's finally getting done, it's been quite the eyesore.
you didnt have a coffee maker at your clinic?! i thought that was like the 2nd purchase made for any hospital... ;)

you didnt have a coffee maker at your clinic?! i thought that was like the 2nd purchase made for any hospital... ;)
I dont know how I could survive without coffee at work!! I loved my coffee during breaks in the schedule... and for some reason it always tasted better those days where I kept getting interrupted during my lunch break! haha:)

I have no idea how they lasted so long without one! Although I suppose it's possible they had one before I started and it broke or something. I don't think the clinic owner drinks coffee, and I know the senior associate vet doesn't. I think our new grad vet talked the office manager into springing for one.