RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got invited to my first interview yesterday, and this morning final grades are all in. 18 hours, all A's and a B in Calc II when I was certain I would get a C. I started with a 2.8 GPA freshman year and was certain no vet school would ever want me, but here I am with an interview invite and the ability to say next spring I'm officially graduating cum laude!! I'm over the moon

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I spent about two and a half weeks knitting a scarf (my first ever knitting project) for a secret santa project in my cosplay group. My giftee received the scarf today and absolutely loves it!! Seeing that just made my entire day.

Reactions: 6 users
I Just bought a ginormous $10 rice crispy treat to eat when the whole family gets here for Christmas! I am more excited about it than I should be. It's currently on top of of my bookshelf beckoning me... "hmoo... eat me... you know you want to... who cares that I'm 3,600 calories... no one needs to know..."

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I Just bought a ginormous $10 rice crispy treat to eat when the whole family gets here for Christmas! I am more excited about it than I should be. It's currently on top of of my bookshelf beckoning me... "hmoo... eat me... you know you want to... who cares that I'm 3,600 calories... no one needs to know..."
This reminds me of the last time I went to NYC with quidditch. One of the guys bought a 2lb pack of giant Reese's peanut butter cups at FAO Schwarz. Whenever the time came to go back home, the big candy had to be checked by airport security--and they were SOOO amused. They laughed so much at these giant peanut butter cups and said they'd "never seen anything like it!" This was at JFK, you'd think they see weirder stuff all the time :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
It is officially Christmas break!! The vast majority of my kiddos are gone and t-minus 48 hours until I am officially off and get to kick the rest of the kiddos out of my building. Lol. A week off is exactly what is needed

Rants turned raves:

I came to the realization last night that I still don't have any nice-nice clothes. All my old slacks were pre-wheelchair, so they look like capri pants if I wear them now. Tuesday I'm beginning suit clothes shopping for vet school, but today is graduation. I do have very nice jeans and some sharp looking shirts that I can throw a tie on, but they still fall into casual. So ya, I am going to be that guy at graduation with a light blue button down, possibly a relaxed tie with first button undone, dark blue nice jeans, and wait for it....Timberlands.

I also have a massive bug bite on my damn forehead, a big ole' honker. The graduation cap covers it, so I'm golden.

This academia Harry Potter wizard dress-up isn't my thing. Only going because my better half is getting recognized.

Last edited:
Probably going to be proposing to the other half on Christmas Eve.

Don't have a ring yet (hooray for being a broke college student) so I've been looking at ring-less proposal ideas.

Reactions: 7 users
Probably going to be proposing to the other half on Christmas Eve.

Don't have a ring yet (hooray for being a broke college student) so I've been looking at ring-less proposal ideas.

Tandem skydive. Go first, land, roll out a sign, be there when she lands.

Dropzone will know how to coordinate.

Reactions: 1 users
After years of driving extremely crappy cars, I bought a really nice reliable car yesterday. I love it! It'll be nice to not have a car that catches on fire, doesn't have AC or heat and also doesn't have windows that won't go down, or where the alternator dies twice in as many years.

Reactions: 3 users
Sitting in a theatre to see a play (Billy Elliot) with music from my favorite singer (Elton John)! So excited!

I was feeling pretty sad yesterday after being rejected from my IS school... But I realized that I have so much more to be happy for that I shouldn't let it get me down. Plus, it's almost CHRISTMAS!

Reactions: 1 users
After years of driving extremely crappy cars, I bought a really nice reliable car yesterday. I love it! It'll be nice to not have a car that catches on fire, doesn't have AC or heat and also doesn't have windows that won't go down, or where the alternator dies twice in as many years.
Me too! Isn't it wonderful?:)
I went from 1995 to 2011... wow!

Members don't see this ad :)
It was pretty amazing. When we went up on stage, my name followed with an announcement that Corky was the first dog to ever graduate from the University of Arizona. The auditorium went absolutely nuts and the cheering was out of control. The dean then whispered to me "Will Corky be able to carry this?" I said ya but was 99% sure he'd drop it on stage. But he held his certificate the entire time I went across shaking hands, and then dropped it once we were behind the curtain. Absolute baller; he stole the show.

handsome.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 41 users
It was pretty amazing. When we went up on stage, the dean followed my name with an announcement that Corky was the first dog to ever graduate from the University of Arizona. The auditorium went absolutely nuts and the cheering was out of control. He then whispered to me "Will Corky be able to carry this?" I said ya but was 99% sure he'd drop it on stage. He held his certificate the entire time I went across shaking hands, and then dropped it once we were behind the curtain. Absolute baller; he stole the show.

View attachment 198873

I love this so much

It was pretty amazing. When we went up on stage, my name followed with an announcement that Corky was the first dog to ever graduate from the University of Arizona. The auditorium went absolutely nuts and the cheering was out of control. The dean then whispered to me "Will Corky be able to carry this?" I said ya but was 99% sure he'd drop it on stage. But he held his certificate the entire time I went across shaking hands, and then dropped it once we were behind the curtain. Absolute baller; he stole the show.

View attachment 198873

❤️!!!!

This is the only picture I have, and it's pretty bad, but at least you can see him holding his degree. Hopefully I can get a video of the event.

stage.jpg

Reactions: 19 users

View attachment 198873
That's so awesome! Corky is so cute (you aren't so bad yourself either.) Congrats to both of you!

This would be a rant, but everything ended up ok, so it's a rave instead. Both of our surgeries today (thankfully they were just dentals, plus a mass removal on one) were geriatric, so we had them a little light on the anesthesia. And both, with no warning, were suddenly awake and trying to jump off the table at some point during their procedures. The first time I was in the middle of scaling teeth, second I had finished the dental and doc was about to cut for the mass removal. I honestly felt like I was just scrambling and like I lost 5 years of my life expectancy, but we got everything under control both times and the doc said afterwards that I work very well under pressure :D

I had a 10# Silky Terrier delivered from Satan himself wake up during his neuter, full-out flailing, screaming and trying to kill everyone around him. And my catheter was blown. Awful. But I always remind myself of my anesthesiology professor's words...better a little light (or awake) than dead ;)

Okay, a little teary over here. Love the picture - and whoever is behind you with the crazy suit coat!

I loveeeee those. I'll eat one in one day with no shame.

View attachment 198873

No, I didn't cry. Congrats w2vm and Corky!!

View attachment 198873

SO awesome! Congrats to you both! :claps:

View attachment 198873
This is so awesome :D and 100% agree with Jilary ;)

I performed my first mouse ovariectomy today! I was pretty nervous about it, but it ended up being easier than I thought!

I got an internship offer today for my state vet association. Yay! It doesn't start until January and I get to help organize the large regional vet conference.

Reactions: 5 users
Went and saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens tonight. Awesome movie! :D

Reactions: 4 users
Went and saw Star Wars: The Force Awakens tonight. Awesome movie! :D
Yessssss I saw it at 2:30am when it came out and loved it so much! I've always been a huge fan so I was so excited and happy :highfive:

Zay had an awesome run through in his agility lesson last night. He still needs to repeat beginners agility but the instructor and I agree that he's made a huge improvement from the beginning of the course. I think actually going through a course has made him realize there's a point to everything as opposed to just practicing random parts or left and right turns.

View attachment 198873
Oh my gosh I'm just seeing this now and it made me cry! You are awesome and so is Corky! :)

I just found a ticket on southwest to go from phoenix to my Purdue interview for $79

It's nonstop too, and leaves at a reasonable time and gets in early

Reactions: 10 users
My temporary disability placard while I'm on my knee scooter is valid in the state I am visiting next week. It's pretty exciting stuff because traversing long distances is awful as is getting the knee scooter in and out of the car easily.

Received a text today from my owner of a patient I had back in medicine in June. They just wanted to see if I was in the hospital so that we can all visit. Got a "tsk tsk" look from my clinician (this patient is from a different service than the rotation I'm currently on) for having given my personal number to a client (I had a day off an the dog was briefly and unregulated diabetic and he would only eat for his owners when they visited, so I said I would come in) but it made my day.

Last edited:
I had a bad day at work, but my last day is tomorrow, so tonight I'm enjoying some beer at the coyotes game against the maple leafs. We are winning!

EDIT: We won!

Last edited:
Had an amazing visit back to CoMo for a few days to see my girlfriend graduate. Then back home for Christmas for another two weeks. Then back to CoMo again for a few days before my internal medicine elective in STL. The holidays are so busy...

One of our partners (for cremation services) sent my clinic 6 tickets for the East West Shrine game - that's enough for everyone but 1 person and 1 tech will be out on a cruise. It's a good team building activity, should be fun, and is now free.

Can't believe my dogs cooperated this good for a Christmas picture! The black one never listens and the red one dislikes the black one. I'm very pleased!

Attachments

• 1450913075911.jpg
    1450913075911.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: 9 users
I'm with my family for Christmas, drinking wine, and having a fabulous time. I haven't been this carefree in a while. Happy holidays to all!

I'm on call, on Christmas Day, with the windows open, in a t-shirt. And I have the worlds cutest copilot for farm calls

View attachment 199009
Two likes from this gal!!! Perfect! Still plan on coming out and visiting one of these here dayz.

My SO got me a new stethoscope with my name engraved on it... I LOVE it. It kinda hit me that I'm going to be in vet school in 8 months. I almost cried. Lol. And, he LOVES the present I got him. Yay!!

Reactions: 7 users