RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After an insane amount of car trouble, my SO and I have moved into our place in Florida. He loves his new job and things seem to be working out :) We've never lived together before, so we will see how it goes. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I got to hold & squeeze the fluid bag during a kangaroo procedure today :D It involved sq fluids, much blood being drawn, and some vitamin injections. And it was awesome.
How many liters of fluid does a kangaroo get? And is it worth it?? (we talk a lot about not being able to get enough volume sc into a large dog to really help, do kangaroos have bigger pockets? Pin intended haha)

Members don't see this ad :)
How many liters of fluid does a kangaroo get? And is it worth it?? (we talk a lot about not being able to get enough volume sc into a large dog to really help, do kangaroos have bigger pockets? Pin intended haha)
He got a full bag. As for if it's worth it, i have no idea! I was just happy to be there :D

ETA: much love for the pun :laugh:

Last edited:
Rant/rave: had a dog with a pyo this morning that was just sloshing pus. Went in and found both the raging pyo and several uterine masses. Looked horrible, but a great learning experience and I can't even imagine how much better the little old lady dog will feel without the 5+ lbs of pus and tumor in her otherwise emaciated body.

Also, watching a bunch of very smart vet students struggle through using a laundromat = super amusing.

Reactions: 1 user
Let the dogs run in the newly fenced backyard for the first time! Worth every penny it cost me. So glad this is finally done! I didn't mind letting two dogs out on long leashes but three was a pain... Constant tangling.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I found a dog daycare in my area that I can afford in my area. This week was Zaius's first week and he went three times. I went from having a neurotic border collie who couldn't sit still to having a snuggly puppy. Last night, for the first time in his life, Zay spent the night in my room out of his kennel and actually slept the whole night! I'm so happy that my dog has an outlet for his energy while I'm in class. Well worth the money.

For what it's worth, on my zoo rotation we discussed how a lot of those large animals getting fluids doesn't really make a big difference during a procedure. We just can't push enough quickly enough to make it worth it.

For what it's worth, on my zoo rotation we discussed how a lot of those large animals getting fluids doesn't really make a big difference during a procedure. We just can't push enough quickly enough to make it worth it.

Huh, interesting. If it were possible to administer, what amount of fluids would make it "worth it"? I'm sure there is variation among species, but what might some ballpark fluid volumes be?

Members don't see this ad :)
Makes sense. I think the vet said something along the lines of "well, it can't hurt."

Huh, interesting. If it were possible to administer, what amount of fluids would make it "worth it"? I'm sure there is variation among species, but what might some ballpark fluid volumes be?
It's probably too early in the morning for me to give this a correct answer but assuming 10 mL/kg is going to be our maintenance dose and some of the animals I worked on were 3000 ish pounds, they'd need about 13 L to make it "worth it." That being said, a lot of these procedures you want these animals down, you want to do what you need to do, and you want them back up immediately. We were mostly working in the field using TIVA, and we didn't have electricity for our procedures unless we brought the animal into the actual hospital so pushing that amount of fluids in the short amount of time we wanted to utilize just wasn't possible.

It's probably too early in the morning for me to give this a correct answer but assuming 10 mL/kg is going to be our maintenance dose and some of the animals I worked on were 3000 ish pounds, they'd need about 13 L to make it "worth it." That being said, a lot of these procedures you want these animals down, you want to do what you need to do, and you want them back up immediately. We were mostly working in the field using TIVA, and we didn't have electricity for our procedures unless we brought the animal into the actual hospital so pushing that amount of fluids in the short amount of time we wanted to utilize just wasn't possible.

Gotcha! Makes sense. Thank you :)

It's snowing outside. This is a rave because after four (well, three and a half) Canadian winters, I am quite certain that this will not result in multiple feet of snow, scary PEI drivers, postponed exams, etc. I can just sit on the couch in my house and enjoy it :)

It's snowing outside. This is a rave because after four (well, three and a half) Canadian winters, I am quite certain that this will not result in multiple feet of snow, scary PEI drivers, postponed exams, etc. I can just sit on the couch in my house and enjoy it :)

Frederick drivers are scary when there's any form of precipitation happening. But I'll be surprised if any of this sticks considering how warm it was yesterday.

Thank goodness it's not going to stick, yuck! I feel a little ba fly formay dog thouh, he would love to play in the snow and he isn't going to get any this year

Tomorrow I start a 2 week dentistry/oral surgery elective in my home town. I am really hoping this rotation will be my light bulb moment that dentistry is what I want to do with my life.. :xf: :xf:

Reactions: 1 users
Had a really scary high risk/geriatric/cardiac anesthesia patient today but actually felt like I had it under control. Which is a rave because I really don't do much surgery- 4-5 days a month, mostly spays/neuters (and mostly cats). Got my adrenalin going at one point but he stayed stable throughout the whole thing. I'm reminded again why I don't do ER/CC work. I'm not cut out for that crap!

Had a really scary high risk/geriatric/cardiac anesthesia patient today but actually felt like I had it under control. Which is a rave because I really don't do much surgery- 4-5 days a month, mostly spays/neuters (and mostly cats). Got my adrenalin going at one point but he stayed stable throughout the whole thing. I'm reminded again why I don't do ER/CC work. I'm not cut out for that crap!

I had one of those, where due to increased risk, I had the dog go to the cardiologist first. Then a week before did an atropine response test. Chest rads the morning of. The owners went through all the precautions that I recommended (declined referral for the mass removal/dental). When it finally came down to it, I was like... ****... So now it's on ME! Thankfully dog did well. But yup, I know exactly what you mean about the adrenalin rush.

Rant turned rave: went to dig my car out of the snow today. And since I was parked on a main road, there was this giant wall I had to get rid of. Well, shoveling 2+ feet of snow is not easy when you have sketchy rotator cuffs. This older guy (just trying to differentiate from a young college student in this area) who pulls in to park in his spot comes back out with a shovel and helps me dig my car out. I didn't have anything to give as a thank you, but I've been considering making cookies and might drop some off for him.

Reactions: 5 users
I made a peanut butter nutella fudge pie today and it is freaking awesome!!! Basically its a combo of peanut butter/sugar/cool whip/cream cheese and nutella/cool whipsugarcream cheese on top of a cinnamon graham cracker crust. Crust is even tolerably good all things considered.

Questions I had answered today: if you add enough butter and sugar to crushed graham crackers that have a best by date of 1 year ago, can you make them acceptably tasty? no. its a solid no. if you add delicious pie fillings on top of it, can you make them acceptably tasty? yes, yes actually you can. cinnamon adds a nice taste too as it turns out. i've gotten out of the list making habit for the grocery store, which typically mans that i forget at least 3 things i need every time. you would think this would motivate me to make a list, but so thats a solid no. instead i get inventive. i will admit that i tossed the other package of graham crackers left over though haha

Attachments

• 0124162259.jpg
    0124162259.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 48
I made a peanut butter nutella fudge pie today and it is freaking awesome!!! Basically its a combo of peanut butter/sugar/cool whip/cream cheese and nutella/cool whipsugarcream cheese on top of a cinnamon graham cracker crust. Crust is even tolerably good all things considered.

Questions I had answered today: if you add enough butter and sugar to crushed graham crackers that have a best by date of 1 year ago, can you make them acceptably tasty? no. its a solid no. if you add delicious pie fillings on top of it, can you make them acceptably tasty? yes, yes actually you can. cinnamon adds a nice taste too as it turns out. i've gotten out of the list making habit for the grocery store, which typically mans that i forget at least 3 things i need every time. you would think this would motivate me to make a list, but so thats a solid no. instead i get inventive. i will admit that i tossed the other package of graham crackers left over though haha
That. Sounds. AMAZING.

Had an awesome vet who shared xrays so I knew what almost-but-not-quite megacolon in my cat looked like compared to other cats. Totally loved looking at xrays of my Jekyl&Hyde kitty. 3 weeks into her new medication, she's acting so much more like the sweet, hand-raised kitten I first knew. I shudder to think of the pain my poor baby was in before this round of treatment.

I need this recipe yesterday

Last edited:
Training wheels finally came off at work today. I get to trim tissues unassited now. I'm almost proficient at histology now :)

I don't know if it's because of the stress that comes with what's left of my schooling, interviews, or my thesis being due in 5 weeks, but I've just very recently started getting into making things. I was never a crafty or DIY person but now I'm obsessed. This weekend I made homemade candles and bath bombs. I put in my own essential oils too. I tried a fizzy last night and it left my skin sooooo soft! I can't wait to give the rest to friends as gifts. It feels good to finally have a hobby that is all my own. I don't remember the last time I had time for one :)

I don't know if it's because of the stress that comes with what's left of my schooling, interviews, or my thesis being due in 5 weeks, but I've just very recently started getting into making things. I was never a crafty or DIY person but now I'm obsessed. This weekend I made homemade candles and bath bombs. I put in my own essential oils too. I tried a fizzy last night and it left my skin sooooo soft! I can't wait to give the rest to friends as gifts. It feels good to finally have a hobby that is all my own. I don't remember the last time I had time for one :)

I love crafting so much as an outlet. I've never tried scenty things (i make more nerdy/video game stuff myself) but spending hours in a project is a great way to lose stress and be productive at the same time. I'm actually wondering how I'll deal if I can't craft during vet school.

I love crafting so much as an outlet. I've never tried scenty things (i make more nerdy/video game stuff myself) but spending hours in a project is a great way to lose stress and be productive at the same time. I'm actually wondering how I'll deal if I can't craft during vet school.
You can craft during vet school :) I knit in class sometimes, granted it stops me from being able to take notes but it makes me pay attention to the lecturer instead of messing around on Facebook (or SDN :rolleyes:). Make time for your hobbies in vet school or you'll go batty.

Then I guess you should make sure you can craft during vet school! One of the things you'll see a lot of vets and vet students around here recommend is making time for yourself so you don't burn out.
You can craft during vet school :) I knit in class sometimes, granted it stops me from being able to take notes but it makes me pay attention to the lecturer instead of messing around on Facebook (or SDN :rolleyes:). Make time for your hobbies in vet school or you'll go batty.
I wonder if I'll get funny looks if I color during class ;)

I knit in class sometimes, granted it stops me from being able to take notes but it makes me pay attention to the lecturer instead of messing around on Facebook (or SDN :rolleyes:).
That's a great idea! Does it ever annoy your classmates or professors? (Not saying that it should, but I would be paranoid I was distracting someone or that it would look like I wasn't listening)

That's a great idea! Does it ever annoy your classmates or professors? (Not saying that it should, but I would be paranoid I was distracting someone or that it would look like I wasn't listening)
Actually it did bother my friend who sat next to me a bit (the clacking) but she's very sound-sensitive. She said it was fine when I was a bit more careful with my actions (consciously knitting quietly) so that cleared that up. Otherwise I sit in the back so I don't think any professors really noticed or cared.

Actually it did bother my friend who sat next to me a bit (the clacking) but she's very sound-sensitive. She said it was fine when I was a bit more careful with my actions (consciously knitting quietly) so that cleared that up. Otherwise I sit in the back so I don't think any professors really noticed or cared.
How did your friend tell you it bothered her? I have misophonia and I can't ever come up with a polite way of saying "IF YOU DON'T STOP MAKING THAT NOISE I'M GOING TO DISEMBOWEL YOU THROUGH YOUR NOSE!!!!"

I recently purchased ear plugs so I can put one in my ear closest to the person making the noise, and it works fine right now because it's winter and I keep my hair down for added warmth, but in the summer I keep my hair up, and the ear plug is going to be much more obvious and I don't want to hurt her feelings. I know I'm the one with the problem.

Edit: For those of you who don't understand misophonia, this is literally how I feel sometimes.
http://www.thefarcereport.com/loud-chewing-drive-you-crazy-how-to-stop-this-pet-peeve/

How did your friend tell you it bothered her? I have misophonia and I can't ever come up with a polite way of saying "IF YOU DON'T STOP MAKING THAT NOISE I'M GOING TO DISEMBOWEL YOU THROUGH YOUR NOSE!!!!"

I recently purchased ear plugs so I can put one in my ear closest to the person making the noise, and it works fine right now because it's winter and I keep my hair down for added warmth, but in the summer I keep my hair up, and the ear plug is going to be much more obvious and I don't want to hurt her feelings. I know I'm the one with the problem.

Edit: For those of you who don't understand misophonia, this is literally how I feel sometimes.
http://www.thefarcereport.com/loud-chewing-drive-you-crazy-how-to-stop-this-pet-peeve/
How do you handle the sound someone makes when they nervously tap their feet or move their legs? I CANNOT stand that. It's even worse if it's right behind me.

Well we were roommates year 1 and 2 so I already knew about her sound-sensitivities and check in with her about it when I'm eating or doing potentially sound-related things. I also don't bring chips or crunchy food in when we have days with lunches together :) So... I guess I don't really know. We've just been super open to each other since the beginning so...

She has trouble with the eating in class too and typically puts in her headphones if its a break but yeah, not sure how to bring it up to people.

How do you handle the sound someone makes when they nervously tap their feet or move their legs? I CANNOT stand that. It's even worse if it's right behind me.
I imagine ripping there legs off and impaling them with them. I literally can't concentrate or think about anything else. If I can FEEL the tapping or bouncing, it's even worse. Once in undergrad the person behind me had their feet on the bottom rung of my chair and they were bouncing. I tried so hard to ignore it until I finally just turned around, glared at them and growled "stop it." They looked legit terrified and never put their feet on my chair again.

Reactions: 2 users

Someone at my UG knits in class all the time!

Ah. I didn't specify but my crafting involves a lot of tools... I have a wood shop on one side of my basement and a glass workshop/kiln on the other. Not stuff that will easily (or safely!) fit in an apartment :(

I have restless leg syndrome. I can't help it :(

Sooooo I've been single for probably 3 years now, just because I'm super introverted and can't make first moves to save my life. Thus, dates are flops for me.

I had one tonight and it went really, really well. I'm searching for things that could go wrong with the situation... That's how pleased I am!

Our One Health Club is doing a fundraiser using the Giant Microbe Plushes and I'm so excited. Now to hint to the bf and family members in regards to which ones I want.

Reactions: 4 users