RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck on the MCAT!!

My HS English Teacher is a rep for Weight Watchers. He was doubting it in the beginning, but lost a ton of weight! He still loves after a ton of years.

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all hungry! Besides a little bit right before meals, naturally. I think the key for me is the unlimited fruits and veggies thing (except for starchy vegetables and things like avocado). I mean, yes, it's possible to overeat fruit and veggies, but I don't think most people will. I know I don't*. They fill me up and then I stop way before I get to a ton of calories. On other plans, I'd sit there and think "Hm, this muffin is x number of calories, so I can have it if I cut back here..." Result? I'd eat the muffin and still be hungry a half hour later because it's a big simple-carb filled muffin. With the WW plan, I just go straight for the fruit, since it's 0 points. Still got sugar in it, but there's more fibre, more water and I get full off less. Okay, the logic might not make sense to everyone, but it does to me. :laugh: I like the weekly points and activity points too. So if I go over my daily points, it's not a big deal. And if I want to go out for a nice dinner one night, I can. Fortunately, I really like fruit. Someone who detested fruits and veggies with a passion might have a harder time.

I definitely still have things I want. For example, I still have a little chocolate every night, about an ounce, but I go for something really rich (huge fan of 70% dark chocolate, but I know that's an acquired taste).

*As dorky as this might be, I've actually plugged my daily food into My Fitness Pal to see what the calorie/protein/carb/fat breakdown was. It's more or less right on target, amazingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Flyhi -Best of luck on that MCAT. I am ordering the Kaplan set to get started myself...please tell me it's not too horrible! I'm sure you'll do well since you put so much time and effort into it.

Coquette - WW points system sounds good. I'm sure there are people who have to get used to eating the fruits and veggies if they're not used to them, though. But you already like them. You aren't even feeling deprived either since you're able to eat chocolate and other things you like. It sounds like you're enjoying the new lifestyle. (I'm always curious about the diets/programs that are out there. I majored in nutrition in college, so it's still a big interest and I like to know about personal experiences...I'm just nosy).

Snotty kitty is less snotty, and temp remained normal yesterday. :)

I've heard such great things about Weight Watchers since they revamped their program not too long ago. It sounds like a more realistic approach to weight loss. Do you feel hungry? Are you able to still eat things you enjoy in moderation?

I've been a weight watchers member for 6 years now and I LOVE IT!!!! I never feel hungry unless I am not eating enough of the "power foods"... aka.... fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean meats. As far as the eating things you enjoy... well, I ate a deck-out ice cream sundae last weekend (anniversary celebration) and still lost 2 lbs this week. So yes, you can still enjoy what you want, as long as it is in moderation. But, the best part about weight watchers is that all of the members are welcoming and don't judge you if you have a day in which you eat the whole fridge... many of the members have been going through the same issues and are understanding and supportive.

I've been a weight watchers member for 6 years now and I LOVE IT!!!! I never feel hungry unless I am not eating enough of the "power foods"... aka.... fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean meats. As far as the eating things you enjoy... well, I ate a deck-out ice cream sundae last weekend (anniversary celebration) and still lost 2 lbs this week. So yes, you can still enjoy what you want, as long as it is in moderation. But, the best part about weight watchers is that all of the members are welcoming and don't judge you if you have a day in which you eat the whole fridge... many of the members have been going through the same issues and are understanding and supportive.

It's great that WW really seems to work...congratulations on your one-year anniversary! As undergrads in one of my senior research courses in nutrition, each student had to choose a popular weight loss/diet program and analyze it. Then, at the end we all voted as to which program seemed to be the best overall in terms of low drop-out rate, overall weight loss, and maintaining weight loss as well as nutritional value of foods...and WW was the winner! My own research was on LAWeightLoss. The investigation turned out some negative issues not only with the LA program itself but also with how it is run (administration). Some of our research was published by the NYState Nutrition Council, and LA has since disappeared from the diet landscape as far as I can tell (changed their name to PureWeightLoss at one point, but that's now gone, too). Anyway, it seems that WW continues to strive in improving ways to help people achieve not only their weight loss but a healthier lifestyle (and no, I do not have any connection with WW....just more than a passing interest in all of this stuff). Keep up the great work on WW!

Tis the little things, K9D. I'm happy to hear it:D Just curious: how's your smartphone doing? Their capabilities continue to amuse me.

Love the little things!

Oh I find something new on it on a daily basis, & people are turning me on to all sorts of cool apps! Siri & I still don't get along, although she seems to be understanding me a bit better. Ask her where to hide a dead body & she'll give you a list of dumps & mortuaries. I enjoy harassing her. :p

Coquette, so glad WW is working for you! Are you going to meetings or doing the online version? I did the online for 6 months and lost 30 lbs. I maintained it really well over the summer, but after a quarter of vet school (and stress eating and not running) I gained back about 10 lbs. I'm back at it again and trying to lose about 15 lbs before spring break in 8 weeks. I'd LOVE to lose 20, but I know that's not really a realistic goal for 8 weeks, so we'll see what happens.

I am happy to hear that WW is working for you guys and that you are really enjoying it. :D. My mom failed EPICALLY at WW. Like refused-to-go-to-meetings and ignored-points-within-the-first-week epic fail. Then she started doing the shake-belt thing and dropped out of that. I do not get it. :confused:.

Related news:I worked my @$$ off at the gym tonight and I feel great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a huge accomplishment yet, but.. I biked three miles and ran a bit at the gym. I suck at running and shouldn't even count the tiny bit I ran, but I'm happy with the biking. I wanna be able to do 10 miles in a few weeks. :]

Add: I love the mentoring program I'm in and the vet student they gave me. She's so helpful. I'm having a lot of fun. She's awesome. :D

Coquette, so glad WW is working for you! Are you going to meetings or doing the online version? I did the online for 6 months and lost 30 lbs. I maintained it really well over the summer, but after a quarter of vet school (and stress eating and not running) I gained back about 10 lbs. I'm back at it again and trying to lose about 15 lbs before spring break in 8 weeks. I'd LOVE to lose 20, but I know that's not really a realistic goal for 8 weeks, so we'll see what happens.

Out of curiousity, is it cheaper to do WW online?

ejNrj.jpg
WLucwl.jpg

Got my fuzzies! :D Still need to come up with a name for the one who's permanently mine, on the left. The vet students named all of them after sushi so she's currently "Sashimi," but I'm not the biggest fan of that (although it's cute).

Trilt, They are such cuties!! My cat is named Sushi his nicname is Sashimi san. So I am probably not going to come up with anything better. Good luck with your new fur babies!

They are adorable!! Are you fostering/babysitting the white one? Want to give him to me?! ;)

Sashimi-san just sounded better. Besides I feel I should show him respect. JK
Then go all out. O sashimi SAMA. Or Sashimi tono (king).. or sashimi hime (princess)... try saying that one 10 times fast:
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime

Whew!

Then go all out. O sashimi SAMA. Or Sashimi tono (king).. or sashimi hime (princess)... try saying that one 10 times fast:
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime
sashimi hime

Whew!

Success! Did it! ;]

Trilt, They are such cuties!! My cat is named Sushi his nicname is Sashimi san. So I am probably not going to come up with anything better. Good luck with your new fur babies!

LOL. My cockatiel's name is Sushi, and I've already decided that if I expand my flock the next bird's name is going to be Sashimi.

I approve of your taste in names, Fireflysushi :p

I'm done work for the week and my SO will be here soon to pick me up from work for a romantic 2-year anniversary weekend mini-vacation! :love:

If only it wasn't horribly snowing in WI.

Have an awesome one, FRV!!!
Best of luck, Coquette22 & EG!!!

Got my fuzzies! :D Still need to come up with a name for the one who's permanently mine, on the left. The vet students named all of them after sushi so she's currently "Sashimi," but I'm not the biggest fan of that (although it's cute).
They are adorable!!!!

Why so formal? I would use Sashimi-chan as the nickname... more appropriate for a little one!
:rofl: Oh, I love it! I totally needed this to make it through my Friday at work :D:thumbup:

Last edited:
Love the little things!

Oh I find something new on it on a daily basis, & people are turning me on to all sorts of cool apps! Siri & I still don't get along, although she seems to be understanding me a bit better. Ask her where to hide a dead body & she'll give you a list of dumps & mortuaries. I enjoy harassing her. :p

:rofl: :thumbup::thumbup: glad to hear it!

Yo, sorry I'm late on the follow up, I had exams and stuff..

Definitely wasn't trying to smack you down, Sunnex! I just saw the conversation heading that way and wanted to through that out there. I think it's just good to consider it whenever numbers come up. :) Not trynna give you the business or anything!

They are adorable!! Are you fostering/babysitting the white one? Want to give him to me?! ;)

She's actually owned by a friend who can't have animals at the moment. I wanted more than one and they were living together at the lab, so it works out quite well for me to keep them for now. :D

Name was decided to be "Tanuki" - prompted by my (non-animal person) boyfriend calling her a raccoon. Second girl is still unnamed.

Name was decided to be "Tanuki" - prompted by my (non-animal person) boyfriend calling her a raccoon. Second girl is still unnamed.

:thumbup::thumbup: LOVE IT!! I love naming animals. I'd probably be silly and name her Blanquita or something to that effect. I often choose the most obscure titles when I name animals. Most recent one was Avogadro. I miss that tyke :(

Going to pick out two new chickens today!! The farm I'm getting them from has 7 different breeds and 40 hens to choose from. It's going to be a tough choice but I can't wait!

If I were keeping a pair of sushi critters, I'd go with tekka and don.
If I were keeping one, then I'd go with gari and call it gari-san. Sabi would be ok too.
now i'm gettin hungy...

i baked chocolate chip cookies.

rave:
i am eating chocolate chip cookies.

om nom nom nom nom

@Lostbunny: so jealous! I want to omnom too. :)
@Trematode: That is awesome! That OChem quiz didn't stand a chance!

If I were keeping a pair of sushi critters, I'd go with tekka and don.
If I were keeping one, then I'd go with gari and call it gari-san. Sabi would be ok too.
now i'm gettin hungy...

Mmmm...tekka-don...

awesome blog i found about the daily life of an ER vet -- so well portrayed and great writing too! gives you a good look into the life in the ER/ICU if anyone's interested in that area of medicine....it can get pretty crazy sometimes!

http://returnofthederelict.blogspot.com/

Just rode pony in my arena at home for the first time- short ride cuz of my stuid ankle but he was good. :) I just love him to BITS!!! There is absolutely NOTHING that can compare to the feeling of riding your own horse. Nothing. :D

Reasons why I love science: sitting in on a developmental bio guest lecturer and he uses the phrase "endothelial snuggling" complete with diagram. Haha total nerd moment and I love it

One of the other receptionists at the clinic I work at had flowers delivered to work to congratulate me on my acceptance at Mizzou! She's off today...she totally could have just brought 'em tomorrow. Or not at all; I totally wasn't expecting that! :) Random acts of kindness. :love:

One of the other receptionists at the clinic I work at had flowers delivered to work to congratulate me on my acceptance at Mizzou! She's off today...she totally could have just brought 'em tomorrow. Or not at all; I totally wasn't expecting that! :) Random acts of kindness. :love:

You deserve it! :D Congrats again!

Just rode pony in my arena at home for the first time- short ride cuz of my stuid ankle but he was good. :) I just love him to BITS!!! There is absolutely NOTHING that can compare to the feeling of riding your own horse. Nothing. :D

I peeked back to your original pictures and just wanted to say he's gorgeous! Congrats :)

In other news, I started a Twitter with the self-challenge of posting once a day for one full year. Some people were suggested for me to follow: Jessica Simpson, D. Lovato and....nyanko! I just bust out laughing - how does the universe know these things!?