****The Official ECU Class of 2018 Thread****

Does anyone have the guts to call and ask when they might start? ;)

I'm way too scared to just ask. I want to know so bad either way, you know :D. This is and will always be my #1 school :love::love::love::love:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm way too scared to just ask. I want to know so bad either way, you know :D. This is and will always be my #1 school :love::love::love::love:

Haha, I'll be there tomorrow for the game, perhaps I can stop by in game day attire to ask??? lol I don't have the guts :) I'm betting we will hear soon!

I just received an interview invite via email! I interviewed last year for ECU on Oct. 31st.

GPA 3.5
DAT 20

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to a girl on FB who currently attends ECU's dental school. She told me that ECU was going to start interviewing in a "a week or so," so I guess they have definitely started handing them out. I really can't believe that none of the rest of us have heard back! Oh well. There's still a lot of time left, especially since they don't do interviews in huge batches like UNC does (at least I don't think they do!). I just wanted to keep you all updated!

I got the interview invite in my inbox just a bit ago!! Hopefully you guys will get the same good news soon! SO EXCITED!! :D

For anyone who got an interview mind sharing the date? Also did they give you that date, or did u have a selection of dates to choose from? Thanks in advance.

got an interview invite tonight via email around 7pm! :love:
they said to call and schedule an interview! so excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
woo got an interview invite on Friday! Anyone else going on Oct. 16th?:D

Anyone hear anything this week? What dates were they interviewing at mid oct??

Hey guys... Anything new?

Last edited:
The 19th was their first interview date and they only interview 8 at a time. I'm sure they have many more invitations to give out.

Nothing yet, although I applied really late. Hoping to hear back soon!

How many interviews does ECU hold? What are the dates? And how many people at each interview?

How many interviews does ECU hold? What are the dates? And how many people at each interview?

Hello everyone. I'm glad to see some SDN people in this cycle. I am currently a D1 at ECU, so if you have any questions or concerns feel free to ask. I know all too well how stressful this time is and how I practically lived on this website during the whole process.

The only piece of general advice I have to you all is to spend time actively researching this and any other school you're interviewing. Unlike some schools, ECU takes its mission to place general dentists in underserved areas/populations very seriously, so make sure you know exactly what that entails. But more than anything, just don't be afraid to dive in and ask questions/interact. With a school that's just starting out, they need outgoing, motivated people to positively promote the school, so don't show up thinking that your scores or GPA will be enough. ECU SoDM is incredibly passionate about what they do, and if you share that passion, make sure to let that shine through both in your supplementals and during your interviews.

Good luck! I'm rooting for you :)

Anyone have their status updated on aadsas?

Mine says "Received/Application complete" as of yesterday. Before that, it said, "Received/Under Review." I e-mailed them and they said my application was still "in the final stages of review." They said AADSAS made the change, not them. So, at least for now, I'm not on hold!

I wonder how many interviews they have given out at this point. It doesn't seem like many, but I know we SDNers are a pretty small population of ECU applicants. I have lots of hope for everyone here. :)

KrimsonKitsu, thanks for joining us! If you have any insider wisdom as to how ECU's admissions process works, I'm sure we would all greatly appreciate it. I know you had to go through this last year, and maybe you figured a few helpful things out here and there! :D

Last edited:
Hey guys i had my interview at ecu this tuesday. and i was told that they interview a large number of applicants. Also if they are not considering you at all, they will let you know as soon as possible, and ask you to meet up with them so they can help you figure out what you may need to improve if you'd like.

Now all of this is just supposition that I've gathered from my experiences and from conversations that I've had with the faculty in Student admissions, but I'll share what I noticed and what seemed to help in my interview.

First of all, definitely don't freak out if you haven't gotten an interview yet, like Eri said, they do interviews every Tues, Weds, and Thurs, with batches of 7-8 students in each. My interview was in November (the day after the elections) and I still got in first round.

Before I start let me give you a bit of background on me; my DAT was okay, nothing earth-shattering (AA-21, TS-20, PAT-21) and my OAGPA was 3.78 with my Science GPA slightly under that (~3.74). I took a gap year and volunteered in a community center in Georgia while I went through the interview. I'd worked most of my way in college so my extracurriculars weren't mind-blowing either. The thing is, with this school at least, they are more interested in the whole person, rather than the tallies of scores and calculations. As Lamont said during my interview "if you got an invite to come here, we already think you have what it takes academically, what we're looking for are personalities, people who will drum up positive publicity for our program." When I was prepping for my interview, I took the time to study the news and recent events surrounding the school as well as how the admission staff interacted with me and my peers. (I'm extremely methodical about these things.)

As I'm sure you noticed, the staff is extremely interactive and personable, so I took my cues from that and decided to really let my passion for the school and for Dentistry shine. You'll get to take a tour of the school and meet with some of the staff, make a point of engaging whenever possible. Outside of one other girl in my group, no one wanted to speak up (and what do you know, the two talkers were the only two from my group selected.) So ask questions, show that you spent some time getting to know the school and maybe even brush up on some Dental Ethics while you're at it... trust me, they're a huge deal here. Remember, your goal isn't just to be nice ( as Dr. Wilson pointed out to me, everyone's 'nice') your goal is to be someone they remember. Luckily, the faculty here are very congenial and passionate about what they do so it's very easy to strike up conversations with them

The day is usually split up into the three interviews you do, each one goes for about 20 minutes which seems like a lot, but trust me... when you're in them, they go fast. You'll also have a group learning exercise just to expose you to that particular type of activity. Then you have lunch and a couple of presentations about financial aid and life as a dental student (blah blah blah). This year, they also decided to throw in having you guys tour around the school with some current students, which is fine if the students are D2-D3, but D1's are pretty much limited to lecture hall, sim lab, and bench lab, which means we'll probably be just as lost as you all.

My last piece of advice might sound pretty obvious, but apparently it surprised some other applicants that I knew. While you are in the building, it's easier to assume that you are always being interviewed. This includes lunch and tours. No, these are not official interactions, but the more positive imprints you can leave on the school the more likely you are to be invited back. I for one, took the opportunity to talk to just about anyone I could and trust me, they're more than willing to talk back.

*whew* Sorry if that was a bit of an overload. But if you want anything more specific, I can certainly do what I can to help. ECU is a wonderful dental school and believe it or not, the faculty here truly cares about you as an individual and will go out of their way to help you reach your potential. Again good luck :)

Mine says "Received/Application complete" as of yesterday. Before that, it said, "Received/Under Review." I e-mailed them and they said my application was still "in the final stages of review." They said AADSAS made the change, not them. So, at least for now, I'm not on hold!

I wonder how many interviews they have given out at this point. It doesn't seem like many, but I know we SDNers are a pretty small population of ECU applicants. Still, though, there are some people in this thread that I feel really deserve an interview! I have lots of hope for everyone here. :)

KrimsonKitsu, thanks for joining us! If you have any insider wisdom as to how ECU's admissions process works, I'm sure we would all greatly appreciate it. I know you had to go through this last year, and maybe you figured a few helpful things out here and there! :D

Just FYI, my status was changed to that a bit before my interview invite! GOOD LUCK!! :)

Now all of this is just supposition that I've gathered from my experiences and from conversations that I've had with the faculty in Student admissions, but I'll share what I noticed and what seemed to help in my interview.

First of all, definitely don't freak out if you haven't gotten an interview yet, like Eri said, they do interviews every Tues, Weds, and Thurs, with batches of 7-8 students in each. My interview was in November (the day after the elections) and I still got in first round.

Before I start let me give you a bit of background on me; my DAT was okay, nothing earth-shattering (AA-21, TS-20, PAT-21) and my OAGPA was 3.78 with my Science GPA slightly under that (~3.74). I took a gap year and volunteered in a community center in Georgia while I went through the interview. I'd worked most of my way in college so my extracurriculars weren't mind-blowing either. The thing is, with this school at least, they are more interested in the whole person, rather than the tallies of scores and calculations. As Lamont said during my interview "if you got an invite to come here, we already think you have what it takes academically, what we're looking for are personalities, people who will drum up positive publicity for our program." When I was prepping for my interview, I took the time to study the news and recent events surrounding the school as well as how the admission staff interacted with me and my peers. (I'm extremely methodical about these things.)

As I'm sure you noticed, the staff is extremely interactive and personable, so I took my cues from that and decided to really let my passion for the school and for Dentistry shine. You'll get to take a tour of the school and meet with some of the staff, make a point of engaging whenever possible. Outside of one other girl in my group, no one wanted to speak up (and what do you know, the two talkers were the only two from my group selected.) So ask questions, show that you spent some time getting to know the school and maybe even brush up on some Dental Ethics while you're at it... trust me, they're a huge deal here. Remember, your goal isn't just to be nice ( as Dr. Wilson pointed out to me, everyone's 'nice') your goal is to be someone they remember. Luckily, the faculty here are very congenial and passionate about what they do so it's very easy to strike up conversations with them

The day is usually split up into the three interviews you do, each one goes for about 20 minutes which seems like a lot, but trust me... when you're in them, they go fast. You'll also have a group learning exercise just to expose you to that particular type of activity. Then you have lunch and a couple of presentations about financial aid and life as a dental student (blah blah blah). This year, they also decided to throw in having you guys tour around the school with some current students, which is fine if the students are D2-D3, but D1's are pretty much limited to lecture hall, sim lab, and bench lab, which means we'll probably be just as lost as you all.

My last piece of advice might sound pretty obvious, but apparently it surprised some other applicants that I knew. While you are in the building, it's easier to assume that you are always being interviewed. This includes lunch and tours. No, these are not official interactions, but the more positive imprints you can leave on the school the more likely you are to be invited back. I for one, took the opportunity to talk to just about anyone I could and trust me, they're more than willing to talk back.

*whew* Sorry if that was a bit of an overload. But if you want anything more specific, I can certainly do what I can to help. ECU is a wonderful dental school and believe it or not, the faculty here truly cares about you as an individual and will go out of their way to help you reach your potential. Again good luck :)

Unfortunately, they are not doing the group activities this yr.

Thanks for sharing ur experience, def worth knowing for interview day, good luck everyone!

Just FYI, my status was changed to that a bit before my interview invite! GOOD LUCK!! :)

Oh, that's good news! Thank you! One way or the other, maybe the end is nigh for me. :) I just want to KNOW!

And thank you, KrimsonKitsu! That's some awesome advice! If you interviewed in November, do you know around what time they invited you? Was your application sent out in an early batch? Thanks!

Honestly, outside of the interview I did everything I was advised not to do. My primary application was sent in mid-August and my supplementals went out on the very last day that I could send them (which I want to say was the end of September-beginning of October.) But I got the invite to interview pretty soon after I sent everything in (Dr. Wilson pointed out that she was really impressed with my essays so that's probably why.) It was like mid to late October when I got the e-mail to schedule an interview time.

Guys

I have an INTERVIEW!!!!

aaaaaahahhhhhahahah! :hungover: :hungover: :hungover:

Thank you, guys! This interview is truly an answer to my prayers. Also, maybe that "application complete" status DOES mean something good, since it happened to both pearliwhites and me!

Also, I had correspondence with the school earlier in the week, and it really sounded like they hadn't even looked at my application up until last night. So, do not fret! I think they might just be a little bit slower getting around to everyone's applications.

I'm calling this morning to schedule my interview. I know good things will be coming to the rest of you all very soon!

Hey, guys! Just an update--when I called, the earliest date they had was Oct. 22nd. So there are still plenty of pre-Dec slots available!

Excited for interview and good luck to everyone. I wonder how many they interview hundreds??

Excited for interview and good luck to everyone. I wonder how many they interview hundreds??

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/dentistry/upload/A-Profile-of-the-2013-Entering-Class.pdf

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=992010

According to this, they get about 360 applications from in-staters and interview around 220. It looks like they accept around 85. So, you have a 2/3 chance of getting an interview. Once you interview, you have a 1/3 chance of being accepted, LOL.

Last edited:
According to the adea guide 2013, ecu interviewed 224 people out of 399 that applied, so u have a pretty good chance of landing an interview! But only 52 was accepted, I guess your interview will weigh heavily!

I just received my interview invite!! Good luck everyone!! :) :) :) :)
Congrats burkeblues!

Thanks I appreciate it. I love ecu and super excited. I hope to get more interviews but idk with my 4.0 gpa and 18 DAT who knows apparently the interview is super important at ecu lol.

According to the adea guide 2013, ecu interviewed 224 people out of 399 that applied, so u have a pretty good chance of landing an interview! But only 52 was accepted, I guess your interview will weigh heavily!

I just received my interview invite!! Good luck everyone!! :) :) :) :)
Congrats burkeblues!

They accept more than 52, that's just the size of their enrolled class. Some people who get acceptances will end up going to other schools I think they accept closer to 80-90.