****The Official ECU Class of 2018 Thread****

Got a rejection letter from ECU today. Its a shame my alma mater didn't even give me an interview. Oh well, I'll be attending VCU though

Sorry to hear that about ECU. I got an interview with ECU, but nothing from VCU (haven't been officially rejected, but I'm expecting it). Are you from a rural area, or did you shadow any rural dentists? I get the feeling ECU is trying to specialize almost exclusively in getting smart people from small towns.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that about ECU. I got an interview with ECU, but nothing from VCU (haven't been officially rejected, but I'm expecting it). Are you from a rural area, or did you shadow any rural dentists? I get the feeling ECU is trying to specialize almost exclusively in getting smart people from small towns.
Yeah I'm from a large city, but i think not shadowing too many rural dentists might have been what hurt me

Yeah I'm from a large city, but i think not shadowing too many rural dentists might have been what hurt me
I don't know if I've actually said this yet, but I sent an update email to Mr. Lowery in early January that said, among other things, I had finally shadowed a rural dentist. It was actually eye opening, because I'd shadowed a city dentist who had moved back from the sticks, who didn't have anything good to say about working out there. Obviously the country dentist loved his job. Anyway, I got the interview invite about 2 weeks after the email.

I hope that helps anyone reading for next year. I don't recommend bothering admissions people unless you have a really good update (more than just one more shadowing experience), but it can't really hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I hope to apply to ECU the upcoming cycle. I am sorta non-trad. I initially was pre-med, kinda was confused after I graduated undergrad from ECU, I got a internship at the National Institutes of Health, and I've been there in Maryland for two years, but I am still a North Carolina resident.
Being at the NIH showed me a lot about my self, what I am good at, networked me alot, and is where I found my passion in dentistry. I have shadowed dentists at the NIH, in practices in Maryland as well as my personal dentist in Eastern North Carolina (I had most of my hours with him). I intend on moving back to NC this summer. I was just wondering if ECU will not like that I was out of state for 2 years after college.

Thanks!

@Imrizzle, I think that so long as you can convey to them that you REALLY want to practice in North Carolina after you graduate, you won't have a problem. Even though I've lived here for 12 years, I still made sure to stress that in my secondary and interview. They are wanting to graduate dentists that will remain here, after all, so it's a big deal to them. :)

@Imrizzle, they look at a lot of things to determine your residency. The only rule you can get out of most people is that you have to be in NC for 12 months to be considered a resident. Beyond that, they look at drivers licenses, job locations, tax returns, car registration, etc. They make you fill out the long form residency application when you are applying, so my gut says they will see your job and permanent location as out-of-state. There is a chance that the 12 month rule applies to your matriculation date in August of 2015, not your application date, but I don't know for sure.

That said, you can call Mr. Lowery, and he may be in a helpful mood. UNC's SoD people are very helpful, too. The rest of the admins in residency are far from helpful. They are all told not to "coach," but the dentistry-specific people don't seem to mind.

In order to not annoy the people who will be making decisions about your future, I would suggest reading through the NC residency handbook (this is 2011, but I can't find a newer one): http://www.northcarolina.edu/legal/residence/committee/manual/Residence_Manual_Aug_2010.pdf

I had this same problem when I wanted to take a golden job opportunity in a different state this summer. Luckily though, I got a contract where I was still an NC resident, and the company paid for travel and expenses to be on-location, so I never had to relocate out of state.

Last edited:
@techyguy Thanks for the information! I had given them a call once, a little while back, and they only mentioned being in NC for 12 months. Currently my legal permanent address is in North Carolina, my drivers license is NC, my taxes are for North Carolina as well. I don't pay any taxes to Maryland. My residence in Maryland is not on any official forms. The place where I am staying at over there is a rented room in someone's house. Also if it makes any difference I am not on a salary or per hour payment, what I receive just a stipend. I am not a technical "employee", I am just a visiting research fellow.

Looking at the handbook you sent me, I think I may be considered as Non-Military Federal Personnel pg 17. So it says I just have to follow the general domicile rules. Which I think I do, considering my permanent address is my parent's house in North Carolina.

I'll give them a call sometime this week and see what they say again, I appreciate the link to the handbook! Very useful.

@Imrizzle You might be okay, then. If you're not paying taxes to a different state, and if your employment can be considered temporary, and you've kept everything else in NC, then you're probably fine. You will technically have to list your employer in MD, but sounds like you found the right label for yourself.

There should also be something in the handbook that says you are allowed to leave the state after graduation for up to 12 months, then return, and you are considered an NC resident from day one (so no 12 month in-state period following leaving). You are technically only supposed to use that "loophole" once, IIRC. (edit: Found it, page 25 of that document).

One UNC SoD admissions committee member told me he has seen this grace period used one time, and that it would've been fine for me.

I swear there's a 2013 handbook that I had to read through last summer, but those things don't change much.

Last edited:
@summertimeBOSS I doubt it. Some applicants heard back last week, apparently the Tuesday before Wed/Thurs interviews. Wednesday was canceled and rescheduled for next week. I at least hope they're not feeling comfortable enough to start filling more slots without having had the Wed. 1/29 interviewees, if only because I was one of them. I rescheduled for Feb. 12th, others got Feb. 11th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Portals just updates... Rejected... Really surprised

Have they accepted anyone who interviewed pre-December and was placed on the waitlist, or have they only accepted people who interviewed after December 2nd?

Mine still says invited for interview. Interviewed September 19th. Got a continuing in December

I hope it's a mistake then because I interviewed pre dec also

Mine still says "Invited for Interview". I interviewed 2nd week of December

From what I've gathered on here and FB, ECU just seems to be *slooooooow* with accepting people. I'd be surprised if half of the class is filled, but maybe I'm totally off.

Whats this waitlist we speak of? Was there any formal notification of being waitlisted, or are we considering the "continuing review" the waitlist?

Im really confused about this.

I interviewed in Nov. and havent received anything but the continuing review on Dec. 2nd. Would love to hear something.

Also no portal update. Still "invited for interview"

Whats this waitlist we speak of? Was there any formal notification of being waitlisted, or are we considering the "continuing review" the waitlist?
Im really confused about this.
I interviewed in Nov. and havent received anything but the continuing review on Dec. 2nd. Would love to hear something.

Yeah... I've just always supposed that if a person interviewed pre-December and didn't get in on December 2nd, it's pretty much a waitlist status, even if they don't officially call it that. They are essentially "waiting" to compare you to applicants they are interviewing now.

I figure the same would apply if you interviewed recently and someone else who interviewed at the same time got in but you didn't. It's sort of just an unofficial waitlist.

Maybe I'm wrong! :) But that just makes sense to me.

Reactions: 1 user
So I got a continual email on Dec 2, and yesterday my portal was updated with the 2/5 date saying application denied. I checked it this morning and it switched back to invite for interview dated 2/5 again. Weird huh? Anyone else experience this?

So I got a continual email on Dec 2, and yesterday my portal was updated with the 2/5 date saying application denied. I checked it this morning and it switched back to invite for interview dated 2/5 again. Weird huh? Anyone else experience this?

It sounds like a glitch... but I'd call and ask.

Mine did the same thing... So weird.

From what I've gathered on here and FB, ECU just seems to be *slooooooow* with accepting people. I'd be surprised if half of the class is filled, but maybe I'm totally off.

I agree with this. I heard from a reliable source that it may be closer to April before the class is full. I know everyone is just so excited to keep waiting..haha!

I called and left a message, anyone else call and get a response?

My status went back to "invite for interview" I am so confused

How do you know that it changed and then changed back, does the date update? I still have invited for interview with my original date of notification (oct).

Ah, okay. Thanks. FWIW I really hope its a glitch. Too early to be out of the game already IMO.

Anyone know when we will likely hear something?
It's rolling admissions so pretty much anytime and it won't necessarily be a "batch" of people that hear back.. Could be though

Well, those who had their Jan. 29 interview snowed out, may need to prepare to have their Feb. 11 or 12th interviews suffer the same fate. Who knew applying to a school in eastern NC carried so many weather hazards? :confused:

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, if you're looking for an update- the class of 2018 ECU FB group has about 39 students in it currently. So it looks like there are still a few open seats. Good Luck to everyone!

Hey everyone! Did the interviews still take place? If so, how did it go? :)

I actually got a rejection letter today in the mail. And I was one of the people who had a status change on the 5th. It's a sad feeling.

I actually got a rejection letter today in the mail. And I was one of the people who had a status change on the 5th. It's a sad feeling.
I'm sorry to hear that. I definitely know that feeling. This is my 2nd year applying and 1st time I'm getting an interview with them. Stay optimistic and keep the faith. Everything will work out like it should :)

Gave up my admission offer a few days go- hopefully someone on here will get a call soon to fill the spot! :)

Reactions: 6 users
No word here, interviewed in Nov.

@vls90 sorry about that news. Like piratedoc said, it will work out as it should, keep the faith.

Haven't heard anything yet. Interviewed in September. This is my third year applying and 2nd year interviewing at ECU. I'm wait listed at UNC. Hoping we all hear something soon!!