****The Official ECU Class of 2018 Thread****

Does anyone know when they're gonna send out their next round of interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Last year some people got accepted January 6th I believe. So probably around there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, @PirateDoc14! I can give you a little run-down of how the interview went, as I don't think the format is secret information or anything. :)

Basically, you get there, and Mrs. Ball will greet you at the entrance and tell you where to park your car. Once everyone arrives, you will go upstairs to a conference room and talk to Mr. Lowery, Dr. Wilson, Dr. Chadwick, and Dr. Watkins for about 30 minutes. It is sort of an "ice breaker," and they give you lots of opportunities to ask questions about the school. After that meeting, they take everyones' pictures for their files. Your little interview cohort (mine had 8 people) is then split up into two groups. Half of you will tour first and then interview, and the other half will interview first and then tour. You have three interviews: two are 20 minutes long with a faculty member (you will have interviewers that are different than the other group), and one is 10 minutes long with Dr. Wilson (everyone gets to talk to her). The time goes by quickly!! On the tour, you will walk around the school and see all the clinics and whatnot. It is all brand new and cutting-edge, which was really great to me. Oh, and as a big Mac fan, I was really excited about how everything was Mac-based! :) You then eat lunch (which was catered by Chick-Fil-A and REALLY good) and get to talk to some current students about dental school life. The students in my lunch group were D1s, but I'm not sure if that is always the case. Both of them were extremely personable, and I could tell they loved it at the school. You end the day with a financial aid presentation, and I seem to remember being done around 1 o'clock.

I'm serious--you can tell that everyone at ECU, from the faculty to the students, genuinely cares about seeing each other succeed. It felt like a community, and everyone seemed to really be looking out for each other. All of the students I talked to seemed happy, fulfilled, and excited. It was just a cozy environment, honestly--which was a great feeling. They want you to do well, and the school (along with your class!) is going to do everything they can to help you excel.

One of my best pieces of advice is to really research the school and have questions prepared. Dr. Watkins told me that the interview process isn't just about them deciding if I was a good fit for their school, but also for me to decide if ECU was a good fit for me! As such, they give you ample opportunities to ask questions about the program. Have some! It will show your interest, and it will also help you decide if the school fits with your personal goals.

Also, although I know everyone tells you this, the admissions team at ECU really goes out of their way to make you comfortable, and they want you to be genuine. You really don't need to be very nervous. None of the questions I got were too unexpected, and a lot of them dealt with my personality and what I valued in life. ECU is an incredible school with a great mission, so make sure you have read up on their values and mission statement. If their mission is similar to your life goals, make sure you show them this in your interviews! :)

Especially if this is your first interview, I would suggest just going and browsing some of the interview feedback. Though being yourself is obviously the goal, it is a good idea to not go in totally blind! Don't just look at ECU's page--look at other schools, too, and make sure you at least have a basic idea of how you would answer some of the questions. It is sometimes hard to think on your feet in a high-stress situation (because it is stressful, even if you try to be calm!), and come up with a few life experiences that fit the most common questions. Make sure you can eloquently but succinctly describe why you want to be a dentist--I know this is a no-brainer, but sometimes, it is hard to articulate all of the reasons that make this field the right one for you! Also, make sure you have reviewed your application and supplement before you go in there. It's probably been a long time since you submitted, so it is nice to have a little refresher! You might have the opportunity to expand on some of those experiences during the interview.

Congratulations to you for having an interview! I know you will love it, just like I did. If you have any more questions, ask away! :)
Thanks Glimmer! That's really helpful! I graduated from ECU this past year so I know how awesome the school is. I love the way they try to make you feel comfortable during the interview. I'm excited! (Congrats on the scholarship by the way!)

Exactly what Glimmer said, except we didnt have Chic Fil A!!! We had honey baked ham! They give you breath mints in a cute little tooth shaped tin box too.

Not like this is information to help you for your interview lol, but ECU cares, all the way to the small details :)

I really love my school (alumna, current graduate student) and while im not yet a dental student there, I hope you enjoy the campus!!
Also on alumna of ECU! GO PIRATES!! Arrrgghh!

Reactions: 1 user
Just got a status update email saying that my application remains under review. I was really hoping for another interview this year since I interviewed the past 2 years there before december. But I guess they didn't like me as much as the other applicants this year...

Hey guys, has anyone done a thorough breakdown to see what the real cost difference is between UNC and ECU? It is a little bit hard to tell because they list all of the different costs differently, but from what I can tell, ECU seems to be about $8-10k cheaper a year. Is that a huge overestimation?

Just got a status update email saying that my application remains under review. I was really hoping for another interview this year since I interviewed the past 2 years there before december. But I guess they didn't like me as much as the other applicants this year...
Just got the same status email saying I'm under review. I'm in the same boat, i interviewed last year, but haven't this year. I'm surprised though Changedude21, because you have really good stats, much higher than ECU's average. I did call ECU's admissions office today though and they said if you've received acceptances from other schools, to scan the cover letter of the acceptance that comes in the mail, and send it in an email to them and tell about how you still want to consider ECU. Mr. Lowery said that he can usually expedite the decision process because they understand that there are deadlines to accept other schools' offers

Just got the same status email saying I'm under review. I'm in the same boat, i interviewed last year, but haven't this year. I'm surprised though Changedude21, because you have really good stats, much higher than ECU's average. I did call ECU's admissions office today though and they said if you've received acceptances from other schools, to scan the cover letter of the acceptance that comes in the mail, and send it in an email to them and tell about how you still want to consider ECU. Mr. Lowery said that he can usually expedite the decision process because they understand that there are deadlines to accept other schools' offers

Did you guys receive anything on decision day? Hope we can get in! I got that active review email too on the 3rd. Hoping that after I submit this semesters final grades and give Mr. Lowery a call, I will hear good news. Good luck to you all. I know it sucks, but hang in there and keep the faith..

Hey does anyone still have a "invite for interview" status who had a pre-dec interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
People who already got accepted- congrats! but do you mind sharing your gpa/dat so I know if I have a chance this year? Thanks!!!

I think what they care most is not your academic part, but something else. Applicants with a lot of dental experience (hygienists or dental assistants) are obviously considered first.

I think what they care most is not your academic part, but something else. Applicants with a lot of dental experience (hygienists or dental assistants) are obviously considered first.
Yeah that seems the case but lets hope for the best, there is still a lot of time left and many seats to be filled.

Yeah that seems the case but lets hope for the best, there is still a lot of time left and many seats to be filled.
I feel you I have a 3.9 science and 4.0 non science and got continuing

Hi everyone, after reading all the posts I am very surprised that I actually received an interview. I sent in my application through AADSAS mid-August, but I didn't send in my supplemental application until early November. My stats are not that great so I honestly did not except to hear back from anywhere. To my surprise, I received an invitation to interview on Dec 6 (about a month after I submitted my supplemental). I still can't believe that I actually got an interview. This is my first year applying, and ECU will be my first interview. I was wondering if anyone can suggest me good reliable sources for doing some in-depth research about the Dental School at ECU to prepare for the interview. I am very excited but VERY nervous at the same time since this will be my first interview. My interview is scheduled on Jan 8th. Thanks in advance for any help and advice! I am so happy I found this thread!

Congrats, Mck110! ECU does a VERY holistic review--which is why their GPA and DAT averages are slightly on the lower end of the spectrum. They want good, smart people who are committed to helping the underserved in North Carolina. Don't be surprised! You earned it! I'm not sure if there is any better place to look than the website, this thread (I gave a synopsis of the interview day), and asking current students about the school. Make sure you are familiar with their values and mission. Best of luck!

Hey guys, has anyone done a thorough breakdown to see what the real cost difference is between UNC and ECU? It is a little bit hard to tell because they list all of the different costs differently, but from what I can tell, ECU seems to be about $8-10k cheaper a year. Is that a huge overestimation?

I think that's a fair estimate. I was lucky enough to have the ECU/UNC decision to make a few years back (my 2nd time applying), and if I remember correctly I estimated right around the same figures you're getting. Both are great schools with great people, it was one of the toughest decisions I've ever had to make!

Does anyone know when they will be sending out more interviews since the last ones are around February time???

Does anyone know when they will be sending out more interviews since the last ones are around February time???
Ive heard from the health professions committee that the dental school interviews well into March. ?? (Question marks symbolize some uncertainty with that statement ...)

As for other news, do you guys thinks its safe to assume that we should be hearing something during the upcoming week?

I'm pretty sure during my December interview they said next acceptances would be given out mid-end of Jan...so I'm not expecting anything from ECU this week..

I'm not sure about interviews..

Idk why but I have feeling they will be sending invites tomorrow. According to previous years they sent invites on the ninth and continuous interest on the tenth. Let's see what happens.

Idk why but I have feeling they will be sending invites tomorrow. According to previous years they sent invites on the ninth and continuous interest on the tenth. Let's see what happens.
That was my reason for writing my above post.. I gathered that much too. Im with you in thinking that we may hear something in the coming days. Cant wait. I just want to know something. anything!

Received an acceptance call earlier this morning from Dr. Wilson. So excited!!
:)

Reactions: 5 users
Congratz!!! So happy for you. Btw did you get a call and e-mail?

Thanks! I got call, but she mentioned my AADSAS status would change and a letter was in the mail. I wouldn't be suprised if an email is sent too.

Guess that's it for the invites, what a bummer.

We'll maybe they will give some more who knows. Others may declined idk if we have an official thing saying it's full.

I was talking about it being done for today. There is still plenty time for invites but I lose hope each and everyday

Keep your hopes up you could always go to grad school or something. I am doing that and getting a masters and applying till I get in just keep your head up.

I was talking about it being done for today. There is still plenty time for invites but I lose hope each and everyday
I'm with you iFloss. I keep loosing hope too. But I'm also with burkeblues8. Keep your hopes up!! I'm in the same boat you are (waiting game), but the fight isn't over yet! Stay positive!

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you guys! Stay positive, never lose hope and I'm sure we'll all be great dentists one day!

Got an interview for Jan 29th! Not the best applicant but very hopeful they will like me for who I am. DAT score is very low so I am surprised I got offered an interview! Wish me luck haha

Yeah I may still have a chance at UNC too. Congratz niter for the interview, I am sure you will do just fine. I have a feeling we are going to get the continue interest email tomorrow.

Yeah I may still have a chance at UNC too. Congratz niter for the interview, I am sure you will do just fine. I have a feeling we are going to get the continue interest email tomorrow.

Different from the one in December?

I got an acceptance call yesterday around 4pm as well. Mr. Lowery was the caller and said all the paperwork and acceptance stuff would be in the mail shortly and that AADSAS would also change in the coming days. So exciting!

I got an acceptance call yesterday around 4pm as well. Mr. Lowery was the caller and said all the paperwork and acceptance stuff would be in the mail shortly and that AADSAS would also change in the coming days. So exciting!
Congrats Capital!

You know what guys...it may take us years to fulfill our dreams but never give up hope! We all can never give up on our goals!

Haha true that, worked too hard to give up now.

Looking through previous years threads, it's still really early on in the decision process... There are only 23 people in the FB group and I speculate that there may be a few more accepted that have not joined the group or may decline their offers.

Like previous posters have mentioned, keep up the hope. We all have come really far, and accepted or denied this is not the end of the road for us. It's all faith, everything we are going through has been planned and must happen. You learn something through each trial.

As hard as it may be I know it's easier said, but let's give this thing a little more time and have some patience!
Regardless we will all be successful!

Reactions: 2 users