****The Official Minnesota Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

Good pick. Not sure what tuition diff. is between these 2 (I assume they are somewhat close since UDM is private) but I don't see how someone can even think of living in Detroit for 4 years instead of Minneapolis.
honestly Minnesota is such a laidback school where they really want you to learn not learn to CRAM.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Aznboi Could you tell me how is your first year dental school experience has been so far? How are the classes, profs, classmates, and etc? I am a Texas Resident and was wondering about this school lol. How has the adjustment been from Texas to Minneapolis? haha thanks.

Wooo accepted!! Better start stashing up on my gopher gear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aznboi Could you tell me how is your first year dental school experience has been so far? How are the classes, profs, classmates, and etc? I am a Texas Resident and was wondering about this school lol. How has the adjustment been from Texas to Minneapolis? haha thanks.

He was on the chat room few days ago and he talked a lot about his experiences. He really made me want to leave my state school lol...

There was a chat room? I didn't know that! Dang it. I missed out then haha. I feel like I need to know more about this school =/

Does anyone remember what qualifies someone for the Dean's Scholarship and how many there are? I remember it's worth $60,000 over 4 years though...a scholarship like that would really lower costs.

Best places to live?

Anyone heard back in the second round yet? Has there been a second round?

o_O:thinking:

Last edited:
Best places to live?
University ave 5-6th st onwards has some cheaper rentals.

There are a few newer places popping up around campus area as well.

The closer you can get near the campus, the better in the winter but with the light rail becoming operational mid year - getting to moos tower will be pretty easy as long as you are near a light rail station. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Minnesota,

I'm still patiently waiting. :corny: Anyone heard back in the second round yet? Has there been a second round?

o_O:thinking:

It looked like there was a "second round" last year in the third week of January. Fingers crossed! It seems as though the majority of the acceptances that went out on Dec 2nd were OOS? Hopefully these next ones are more instate!

It looked like there was a "second round" last year in the third week of January. Fingers crossed! It seems as though the majority of the acceptances that went out on Dec 2nd were OOS? Hopefully these next ones are more instate!

-

Last edited:
Just declined my offer. Hope this helps someone else out there!

I wish this was true, but looking at the facebook page, most of the accepted people so far are instate.

I wish this was true, but looking at the facebook page, most of the accepted people so far are instate.

I didn't even think about looking at the Facebook page. Thank you for this helpful, yet disappointing, information!

Also declined my OOS offer. Wish you all the best!

I was accepted and I'm OOS

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if eye have reciprocity with Wisconsin students, just like it is for undergrad? With this I mean , will Wisconsin residents be considered for in state status and tuition , and will they be considered as in state for acceptances ?

Thank you

Does anyone know if eye have reciprocity with Wisconsin students, just like it is for undergrad? With this I mean , will Wisconsin residents be considered for in state status and tuition , and will they be considered as in state for acceptances ?

Thank you

This is what I found...
*Please note that the reciprocity agreement with Wisconsin does not
include students in the following first professional programs: Dentistry
(D.D.S.), Medicine (M.D.), and Veterinary Medicine (D.V.M.).

http://admissions.tc.umn.edu/PDFs/WI_reciprocity.pdf

Does anybody know why this dental program does not get much attention or praise (at least on sdn: look at the number of views!). Is it because of location? Or is the program not that great? I will be attending next year btw!

Does anybody know why this dental program does not get much attention or praise (at least on sdn: look at the number of views!). Is it because of location? Or is the program not that great? I will be attending next year btw!

I have been curious about this myself for sometime now!

Although, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the program not being great. From my research, the school gets a little over 3000 applications and interviews about 10%.

Congratulations on getting in. .

Last edited:
I have been curious about this myself for sometime now!

Although, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the program not being great. From my research, the school gets a little over 3000 applications and interviews about 10%.

Congratulations on getting in. I'm still waiting to hear if I will be getting into my state school. I have a few other interviews but UMN remains my top choice for various reasons ... :luck:..

I was definitely impressed with the school and Minneapolis. Best part was when everybody kept saying it was so darn cold in Minny on interview day. It was actually warmer by about 20 degrees in Minny than where I live. Very friendly people there too. All the best, Sagittarius :)

I was definitely impressed with the school and Minneapolis. Best part was when everybody kept saying it was so darn cold in Minny on interview day. It was actually warmer by about 20 degrees in Minny than where I live. Very friendly people there too. All the best, Sagittarius :)

I didn’t check where you are from but it sounds like you may be acclimatized to cold weather already.

Even so, be prepared for colder days too ;). Minnesota winters are unpredictable. It can be warmer one-year and then back to cold one next. This winter with the polar vortex, it has been terrible. I'm sure you've seen it in the news with temperatures dipping to -50 F with wind-chill.

On a happier note, today onwards the temperatures will be in the teens - thirties and everyone will be in a better mood.

Welcome :).

Last edited:
I am from near Alberta so here we get something called 'chinooks' constantly where the weather changes dramatically within hours. Couple of weeks ago it was about 10 degrees at 3 PM then by 7 PM it went down to -20 (celsius)! Winter has been terrible in the midwest this year. Minny actually sounds like it will be pretty cold. Not sure if you guys get chinooks there. I do hope the second half of winter goes smoothly here and there.

I interviewed here today, 1/22. Let me know if any of you have questions. This is my top choice!

Reactions: 2 users
Haven't heard anything either. Interviewed late September. Impatientiently waiting for all the ones they said would go out late Jan/Feb.

Yeah same here. I interview mid September and am instate. Last year they sent out the second round on January 14th or so, I don't know what's the hold up this year.

When I interviewed on Jan 22, Kathy told me that the committee will meet on 1/28 to review and that decisions will either be made that day and notified the week after or they will meet the following week and let us know the week after that. Hope this makes sense. Nevertheless, she said this would be the earliest I would hear back but it may take until March for me to hear back from them.

Got an acceptance email !!!! Portal changed to offer made! Good luck to everyone - still a lot of hope !

My friend said that he will be receiving an 'alternate letter' soon, he interviewed last Wednesday. Does that mean waitlist? And what are the chances of getting off this list?

Just got done talking to the office. They pretty much have sent out all the offers by now and will only send out more offers if they get rejections. Said the class usually doesn't settle until April. So that sucks

Just got done talking to the office. They pretty much have sent out all the offers by now and will only send out more offers if they get rejections. Said the class usually doesn't settle until April. So that sucks
Thanks for sharing. At least I can finally have some peace of mind knowing I am not going to U of M :(

Accepted last Thursday off the waitlist! OOS. Interviewed mid October. First acceptance. AA 20, AS 19, PAT 23. Overall GPA 3.2, Science GPA 3.6. 200+ Job shadowing along with a lot of working experience, mission trips, etc. 25 years old.

Accepted last Thursday off the waitlist! OOS. Interviewed mid October. First acceptance. AA 20, AS 19, PAT 23. Overall GPA 3.2, Science GPA 3.6. 200+ Job shadowing along with a lot of working experience, mission trips, etc. 25 years old.

Hi,
First of all congratulations!! One question. I also interviewed at Minnesota on early Nov and I am OOS. but I have not heard back from them yet.. did you regularly contacted them and asked what status are you in? Is it okay to do that?
its already end of March and Minnesota is the only school I interviewed so far. I really don't feel good about it but I still cant lose hope yet right? also several schools have not got back to me yet.. so any advice?

Hi,
First of all congratulations!! One question. I also interviewed at Minnesota on early Nov and I am OOS. but I have not heard back from them yet.. did you regularly contacted them and asked what status are you in? Is it okay to do that?
its already end of March and Minnesota is the only school I interviewed so far. I really don't feel good about it but I still cant lose hope yet right? also several schools have not got back to me yet.. so any advice?
I did not hear from them at all until I received the email and I had not contacted them since the day of the interview. They were off my radar as I was concentrating on my state school (UMich who eventually rejected me) and was pleasantly surprised to find out I was still on theirs.

I just withdrew my acceptance from Minn, I am OOS, got accepted on Dec 2nd... I hope it goes to someone that really wants to go here. Minn is an amazing school, I loved it... I got into a school in my home State, otherwise I would be going here... Good Luck!

Last edited: