****The Official OHSU Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

anyone else still not recieved ANY communication from OHSU?

have recieved nothing from them. kind of worrying also considering the confirmation email they sent when i paid fees was remarkably short. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings Everyone,

I too have received the competitive email. And 2 of my friends have already been offered interviews. I am IS and so are they.

anyone know how receptive OHSU is to OOS late batchers? My app was kind of late maybe thats why i havent heard

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings Everyone,

I too have received the competitive email. And 2 of my friends have already been offered interviews. I am IS and so are they.

Did your friends receive the competitive email before they got interviews? If so how long ago?

anyone know how receptive OHSU is to OOS late batchers? My app was kind of late maybe thats why i havent heard

I am quite late. Submitted in august and complete sometime in September and I got the competitive email.

asne:

One got the competitive email, and 6hrs later she got her interview. My other just got the direct interview.

Last edited:
I got the competitive email 2 days ago. Funny thing is that they also said that my application is not complete (for some reason, I am missing one rec letter). So they said that my app "Will be ranked among highly competitive pool, once the application is completed."

My application was "ready for review" on September (retook DAT on mid August). I am OOS.

I was offered an interview invite 2 days ago without competitive email. I am IS.

I got the competitive email 2 days ago. Funny thing is that they also said that my application is not complete (for some reason, I am missing one rec letter). So they said that my app "Will be ranked among highly competitive pool, once the application is completed."

My application was "ready for review" on September (retook DAT on mid August). I am OOS.

Same exact thing happened to me. Not sure what to do, I didn't really get to know a lot of my professors very well. Maybe just beg one that I don't know that well to write a LOR for me anyways.

For the of you who received interview requests, how were you notified?
Thanks!

Did your friends receive the competitive email before they got interviews? If so how long ago?

Received the competitive e-mail last year and never received an interview. Re-applicant this year and I have not heard a thing as of yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
What Are you stats? And when is your interview? Thanks

Something to look into or ask the school about is the student issue. Each year students are issued supplies like drills, lights, restoration equipment, etc. These issues can be very expensive. OHSU is going to start a leasing program this year, where they will lease the equipment and students won't own it. One thing we are upset about - they charge us for the issue but end up taking the issue back without refunding us. Then they continue to make money off the supplies we paid for. Pretty shady if they are willing to rip off students that will have 300-400k in loans. I understand most of you are just trying to get in, but you might want to inquire about it at interviews...because once you get here they avoid the issue.

Something to look into or ask the school about is the student issue. Each year students are issued supplies like drills, lights, restoration equipment, etc. These issues can be very expensive. OHSU is going to start a leasing program this year, where they will lease the equipment and students won't own it. One thing we are upset about - they charge us for the issue but end up taking the issue back without refunding us. Then they continue to make money off the supplies we paid for. Pretty shady if they are willing to rip off students that will have 300-400k in loans. I understand most of you are just trying to get in, but you might want to inquire about it at interviews...because once you get here they avoid the issue.

Soooo do you not like the school? Sounds like this isn't the only thing that bugs you about the school.

Has anyone had their 'Status Defined' status change in AADSAS to "Your application is currently in the process of being reviewed. It will proceed through a multileveled review in which we consider such factors as your GPA, academic history, DAT scores, letters of evaluation/recommendation, investigation in the field of dentistry and all other factors presented in your application. You will be notified in writing and by email of any changes made to your application status."?? Does anyone know if this is a good or bad sign?!

Has anyone had their 'Status Defined' status change in AADSAS to "Your application is currently in the process of being reviewed. It will proceed through a multileveled review in which we consider such factors as your GPA, academic history, DAT scores, letters of evaluation/recommendation, investigation in the field of dentistry and all other factors presented in your application. You will be notified in writing and by email of any changes made to your application status."?? Does anyone know if this is a good or bad sign?!

Yes. Mine updated as well. I am curious as to what that means, 2 weeks ago I received the "competitive applicant" email. As an IS I feel I won't hear anything until Jan/Feb.

Yes. Mine updated as well. I am curious as to what that means, 2 weeks ago I received the "competitive applicant" email. As an IS I feel I won't hear anything until Jan/Feb.
got this too and also received the competitive email. Im oos

I got the same msg on my aadsas, but I got the soft rejection email. OoS.

What was the content of the "soft rejection"? I haven't heard anything from OHSU yet, but I just checked my AADSAS and I have that lengthy status defined message now too.

I also got the same status update after receiving the competitive email a few weeks ago. I'm OOS.

OHSU doesn't even show up on my portal. Should I be concerned? I paid the fees and everything, and I did submit a little late, but I'm worried.

I just recieved the competitive email. That's, hopefully, a good sign :) anyone know how many invites are given over how the # of these comp emails?

Competitive email last night as well.

How long did you guys wait to receive this competitive email since your application review status showed up on AADSAS?

How long did you guys wait to receive this competitive email since your application review status showed up on AADSAS?

I think it was a couple of weeks. I have no idea how long that message was actually there, however, as I never check aadsas.

Checked my AADSAS and it says Your application is currently in the process of being reviewed. It will proceed through a multileveled review in which we consider such factors as your GPA, academic history, DAT scores, letters of evaluation/recommendation, investigation in the field of dentistry and all other factors presented in your application. You will be notified in writing and by email of any changes made to your application status."

But no email either way. Thoughts on this?

Checked my AADSAS and it says Your application is currently in the process of being reviewed. It will proceed through a multileveled review in which we consider such factors as your GPA, academic history, DAT scores, letters of evaluation/recommendation, investigation in the field of dentistry and all other factors presented in your application. You will be notified in writing and by email of any changes made to your application status."

They must have just started to look at your application. Doesn't mean anything bad, doesn't mean anything good, but it lets you know they are looking at your app or have looked at your app

Mine says the same and I'm already on the competitive applicant list!

Mine says the same and I'm already on the competitive applicant list!
That's odd. Now I'm worried. Did any people who applied late get any competitive email/interview invite, yet?

Thanks.

Soooo do you not like the school? Sounds like this isn't the only thing that bugs you about the school.

Well, there are a lot of positives and negatives...I'll leave it at that. I'm mainly trying to shed some light on issues the school avoids...as these will be helpful to those on 'the fence'. The student issue is huge, and a blatant rip off. The GPA's from what I'm told, are quite a bit lower than other schools...for those interested in specializing. They like drilling you and most of us are in the 2.7-low 3 range. We tend to focus on older, more established procedures and materials....I.e. casting gold crowns via lost wax technique, gold inlay and onlay preps, lots of amalgam, etc. you have to buy some supplies for pre clinic with your own money....burs, ivorene teeth, provisional tips, etc. Some things to consider. I'm in state. I know a lot of out of staters that say they wish they would have chosen a diff. School or waited for their in state school. Overall it's been ok, just make sure you know what you're getting into.

Well thanks for the reply, that's honestly great advice and I will for sure think about these things if I get an interview there.

Well, there are a lot of positives and negatives...I'll leave it at that. I'm mainly trying to shed some light on issues the school avoids...as these will be helpful to those on 'the fence'. The student issue is huge, and a blatant rip off. The GPA's from what I'm told, are quite a bit lower than other schools...for those interested in specializing. They like drilling you and most of us are in the 2.7-low 3 range. We tend to focus on older, more established procedures and materials....I.e. casting gold crowns via lost wax technique, gold inlay and onlay preps, lots of amalgam, etc. you have to buy some supplies for pre clinic with your own money....burs, ivorene teeth, provisional tips, etc. Some things to consider. I'm in state. I know a lot of out of staters that say they wish they would have chosen a diff. School or waited for their in state school. Overall it's been ok, just make sure you know what you're getting into.
What do you think the estimated cost of these supplies for preclinic that one has to buy, will be?

Thanks.

What do you think the estimated cost of these supplies for preclinic that one has to buy, will be?

Thanks.
I'm not sure, but the worker there knows a lot of us by name. You practice on fake teeth (ivorene) teeth and a lot of us buy them at 1 or 2 bucks a pop before each lab. If you have 2-3 labs...it can add up. They say the money is already allotted to us...300 a term...But if you don't use it all then you don't get a refund. If this kind of stuff bothers you then make sure to ask at your interview. Make sure you know how your student issue money is being used and where all the different supply fees go and if you get a refund. A lot of us are confused and we aren't getting straight answers so I figured I'd give a heads up. We have a meeting with the dean tomorrow so ill let you know if we figure anything out. I'll try to make these my last posts so I dont spoil the excitement of interviews and acceptances! this is a great way to get the word out though.
Good luck everyone

We had a meeting with the dean today and the student issue ordeal was more or less avoided. There is a new change that will benefit students though, the addition of a mock board. During second year students will study for the boards and must pass 2 mock boards from the school before they can take the real boards. The goal is to increase the pass rate which has wavered around 90%. When I interviewed they told us there was a 98% pass rate. We also discussed one of our classes in which 61 out of 73 students failed an exam (pharm 721). Like I said, low GPA school. That's all from me, congrats to those who get in and hopefully this info is useful to some.

Not sure yet. I was told to call to schedule an interview. I'll be calling after class in about 2-3 hours. I'll post back then and let you know.

Nope. OOS from AZ (wiche applicant).
what are your stats?
are your urm?

thanks.

Was offered an interview! I am IS, and my interview is set for This up coming Tuesday!

Reactions: 1 user
For people who got the "soft rejection email", did you ever end up getting a rejection letter?