Tufts c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm with you KryptoniteGirl. I want an email, but I also want good news! Pretty please Tufts!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm with you KryptoniteGirl. I want an email, but I also want good news! Pretty please Tufts!

Sorry, phone decided it really liked posting that repeatedly. Sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
Really excited! Feb 4 :)

Got offered an interview! Been dreaming of this since I was 6 years-old. So excited!!! Going on Jan 29th.

For those who want to know: I'm OOS, 2nd time applicant. They told me by email around noon today (apparently I need to check my email more often!).

Got a question for all applicants. As you know, Tufts is one of the schools that is not part of the VMCAS process. But the school is considering whether or not to change that. So what do you think? Should Tufts keep its application process separate so that it can focus on a more student centered application process or should it join the pack and become part of VMCAS? If it does join VMCAS, it would still require a bunch of supplemental applications materials, as many other veterinary schools already do.
All input would be very welcome.

Best of luck in your vet school quests!

Got a question for all applicants. As you know, Tufts is one of the schools that is not part of the VMCAS process. But the school is considering whether or not to change that. So what do you think? Should Tufts keep its application process separate so that it can focus on a more student centered application process or should it join the pack and become part of VMCAS? If it does join VMCAS, it would still require a bunch of supplemental applications materials, as many other veterinary schools already do.

I'm not really sure what's the difference between applying directly to Tufts vs. applying via VMCAS. It didn't make that big of a difference for me, personally. Though I do like the fact that you only have to send the official transcripts ONCE (to VMCAS) and not having to cut the personal statement once more (since the 750 word limit required me to cut my almost 5K char personal statement). However, MOST of the schools who have joined VMCAS also require applicants to pay an extra $60-$70 for the supplementary application.

IMO, if Tufts were to join VMCAS, I think it would be much appreciated to not require supplementary fees as well.

I'm not really sure what's the difference between applying directly to Tufts vs. applying via VMCAS. It didn't make that big of a difference for me, personally. Though I do like the fact that you only have to send the official transcripts ONCE (to VMCAS) and not having to cut the personal statement once more (since the 750 word limit required me to cut my almost 5K char personal statement). However, MOST of the schools who have joined VMCAS also require applicants to pay an extra $60-$70 for the supplementary application.

IMO, if Tufts were to join VMCAS, I think it would be much appreciated to not require supplementary fees as well.
Thanks!

If Tufts had been part of VMCAS, I would have been more likely to apply. Most schools have extra supplementals, so that wouldn't seem like an issue, but honestly I felt badly about asking my evaluators to have to produce more letters on my behalf. Since east coast schools are not my top choice, purely for geographic reasons, it was easy enough for me to skip the extra work.

Reactions: 2 users
If Tufts had been part of VMCAS, I would have been more likely to apply. Most schools have extra supplementals, so that wouldn't seem like an issue, but honestly I felt badly about asking my evaluators to have to produce more letters on my behalf. Since east coast schools are not my top choice, purely for geographic reasons, it was easy enough for me to skip the extra work.
Appreciate your candor and comments!

Members don't see this ad :)

Tufts' application was very user-friendly, and wound up costing me less than other schools (VMCAS + supplementals = $$$). Having to ask evaluators to submit on my behalf, again, was the only real inconvenience.

The separate evaluation program was the only part I didn't like. It would be nice if schools had more similar evaluation requirements so that evaluators could simply copy/paste a lot of their letter and copy over the same ratings for each category. Some of my evaluators had to do three separate evaluations, and I felt bad asking for that.

The separate evaluation program was the only part I didn't like. It would be nice if schools had more similar evaluation requirements so that evaluators could simply copy/paste a lot of their letter and copy over the same ratings for each category. Some of my evaluators had to do three separate evaluations, and I felt bad asking for that.
Really appreciate everyone's comments...they'll be discussed at the Tufts end.

I enjoyed Tufts' separate app. The questions were more unique and the video idea is great (even though mine was destroyed the night before submitting during a slush storm while helping a friend break into her truck... but last minute essays are ok, right?)! I appreciate that the Tufts app cost me less than the VMCAS. I agree that the worst part is asking for more eLORs.

So, I haven't gotten any word and I'm tottering between giving up on this year and trying to hold onto the hope that I'm on an interview wait list. Someone talk me into or out of calling or emailing to find out. Tufts is my last chance for this year and a school that I've been in love with since a visit in high school.

On the less crazy side, I want time to get a flight and arrange care for my farm and kid.

So, I haven't gotten any word and I'm tottering between giving up on this year and trying to hold onto the hope that I'm on an interview wait list. Someone talk me into or out of calling or emailing to find out. Tufts is my last chance for this year and a school that I've been in love with since a visit in high school.

On the less crazy side, I want time to get a flight and arrange care for my farm and kid.

From the original email sent by Tufts there is another interview date on the Feb. 11th. Don't give up yet! Based off of the 2017 thread we should be getting some info from admissions concerning our status in the next week....fingers crossed!

Thanks for the pep talk! I saw the Feb 11 date, but thought that it might be reserved for IS students or for last minute waitlisters. Best of luck to those with interviews and to those of us clinging to hope!

On Monday I received an invite for an interview for Feb. 11th. So excited!!!

Good luck to those still waiting!

Last edited:
Hey all!

This Tuesday I received an interview on February 3rd... freaking out!!
Good luck to everyone!!

I'm on the wait list for an interview. Better than a rejection I guess :) Also, what's the likely-hood that someone like me could get an interview at the last minute? I'm worried that if I do manage to get one that I will have to decline due to the distance/cost of travel.

I'm on the wait list for an interview. Better than a rejection I guess :) Also, what's the likely-hood that someone like me could get an interview at the last minute? I'm worried that if I do manage to get one that I will have to decline due to the distance/cost of travel.
Did you receive that e-mail on Friday? My friend who applied last year said she got that email too and received an interview invite the following week. I guess it depends on how many ppl r on the waitlist. Did anyone else get that email?

How did you hear? If the weather isn't bad, it's just a day drive. Just watch the black ice in western Mass. I used to live out there. After the hills, you hit swamp land. Can you afford a couple tanks of gas and an extra day on either side? If you want the pep talk, I'm there for you. If you have an offer elsewhere, congrats! Don't be so hard on yourself, you have a chance!

Hi all,

Just asking this question for some planning I have to do for later this term. If I am getting interviewed on the 29th, what is the approximate date I will hear back about a decision? It's hard to explain why I need this info other than some scheduling stuff involving getting off waitlists and participating in my school's mainstage musical theater production :)

Hi all,

Just asking this question for some planning I have to do for later this term. If I am getting interviewed on the 29th, what is the approximate date I will hear back about a decision? It's hard to explain why I need this info other than some scheduling stuff involving getting off waitlists and participating in my school's mainstage musical theater production :)

Looking at last year's official acceptances thread, it seems that people were either notified 12/17 or 2/19... in general. :) Good luck on your planning.

Here's the link to last year's thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/official-acceptances-c-o-2017.965107/page-14

Just set up all my travel accommodations for a Feb 11th interview, really excited to see the campus and talk to some current student!

hey just so you know i got my interview invite today for the 4th so there is still hope!

Reactions: 1 users
anyone know how many people they interview and how many they accept?

Per the email on 11/26: They had about 650 applications for 98 seats and they were planning on 290 interviews.

Per the email on 11/26: They had about 650 applications for 98 seats and they were planning on 290 interviews.
thanks! any idea on how many they accept though? they usually accept more than the number of seats they have but I'm not sure how many more they accept than they have room for.

thanks, but I am curious as to how many they accept from the interviews. 98 seats but usually they accept more than that since some people won't accept their offer

Ooops. My Adobe Acrobat wasn't working so I thought that that'd link would show it. Boo. Okay. Sorry. Don't know the answer to that question.

thanks, but I am curious as to how many they accept from the interviews. 98 seats but usually they accept more than that since some people won't accept their offer

I'm pretty sure they will only accept 98 from the interviews. To make sure they have enough people once the 'musical chairs' starts there is a waitlist. As far as I know the number of people on the waitlist usually isn't well known. I could be wrong though. Hope this helps.

They don't release this information. There's a chance they over accept the class size, but no one knows for sure..

Got my no today. Email said to expect an update by 5 tonight, and through a link on the site was my rejection letter. Bummer. :( I'll go do a Plan B Master's and we'll see if it helps me for next year!

Got my no today. Email said to expect an update by 5 tonight, and through a link on the site was my rejection letter. Bummer. :( I'll go do a Plan B Master's and we'll see if it helps me for next year!
I'm so sorry, Lady :-( Do you mind my asking if you interviewed?

Has anyone else received any news?

Just got emailed informing me that I got an interview. So to all the waitlisted to interview, there's still hope!

So I've thought about this a long time and I have decided to decline my interview. I will be letting Tufts know tomorrow. I felt that if I went I wouldn't really be seriously thinking about going there and I want someone who is really serious to be able to interview. I also have felt like it is not the best fit for me. My parents were really the ones pushing me to interview because Tufts is close to home. I have already been accepted to OSU. I always get asked it I have a number one among the schools I applied to and my answer has been not really when in truth it is OSU. I just feel like OSU is where I am supposed to be. Good luck to everyone interviewing and those still hoping to get asked to interview!

Reactions: 2 users
After thinking long and hard about it, I have decided to decline my interview. I was accepted to my IS, Cornell. I was totally excited and surprised to be invited to interview at Tufts. Its a great program and was on the top of my list but the differences in tuition makes a big difference financially. They were really nice about it when I let them know (as every time I have dealt with admin at Tufts). I hope someone on here gets the spot. - Good Luck!!

After thinking long and hard about it, I have decided to decline my interview. I was accepted to my IS, Cornell. I was totally excited and surprised to be invited to interview at Tufts. Its a great program and was on the top of my list but the differences in tuition makes a big difference financially. They were really nice about it when I let them know (as every time I have dealt with admin at Tufts). I hope someone on here gets the spot. - Good Luck!!

Congrats on Cornell!! I'm a New Yorker as well, but was wait listed there. So in two weeks I will be interviewing at Tufts and then driving to Cornell for the Info Session 2 days later. I've got some work ahead of me, but hopefully it will be worth it!

Congrats on Cornell!! I'm a New Yorker as well, but was wait listed there. So in two weeks I will be interviewing at Tufts and then driving to Cornell for the Info Session 2 days later. I've got some work ahead of me, but hopefully it will be worth it!
Thanks so much Doctor Who!! Good luck with everything coming up.

Just declined my interview for the 4th, and the admissions person I talked to said they were going to try to fill that spot today from someone on the waitlist!

Anyone else interviewing tomorrow? I'm taking the commuter rail which gets into Grafton at 8am (next option is 2 hours later), so I have some waiting time...

Also, it's going to be cold!! Just a warning, in case you look up the weather today, it's going to drop like 30 degrees tonight.

Anyone else interviewing tomorrow? I'm taking the commuter rail which gets into Grafton at 8am (next option is 2 hours later), so I have some waiting time...

Also, it's going to be cold!! Just a warning, in case you look up the weather today, it's going to drop like 30 degrees tonight.

Good luck on your interview! Mine's not until next week.

I am! Getting ready to head up to MA in a few minutes. It is supposed to get very cold tonight. Tonight's low in North Grafton is 6 degrees and tomorrow's high is 17, so everyone dress warmly!! Best of luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow and over the next few days/weeks :)