UMD vs. MCW vs. Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school should I choose?

• New York Medical College

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gopackgo09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am struggling to finalize my decision about where to attend school the next four years. A little about me: I applied as a Wisconsin resident, but I attended undergraduate in Maryland and lived there for an additional year after graduation doing research full-time. I live in the NY/NJ metro area currently. I am interested in pursing Orthopedics for now, but as we all know, that is subject to change.

I really enjoyed all three schools during my interview day. I attended second look at MCW on Friday and had a great time. I feel that I could be successful at all three schools, but I'm looking for advice on how to narrow down my choice.

MCW:
+established school
+close to family
+cheaper cost of living in Milwaukee area
+ availability to do all rotations on site
+/- modified pass fail grading system
-private school tuition

UMD:
+established school
+familiarity with Baltimore area
+ old research and academic contacts in the area
+ awesome Shock Trauma Center
- will have OOS tuition for at least the first year (this is really my biggest concern here. If I had a guarantee that I could get IS tuition for M2-M4, I think this would be my clear first choice. I feel that I have a strong case for IS after M1 because I lived in Baltimore a year beyond graduation as a financially independent adult with MD state taxes being deducted from my income.)
-relatively expensive cost of living in downtown Baltimore
-A/B/C/D/F grading scale

Hofstra:
+30k/year scholarship
+brand-new facilities
+ affiliation with North Shore LIJ hospitals
+P/F grading system
+ small class size
+ proximity to NYC and undergraduate friends
+ EMT training included in curriculum
- I'm not sure that the PBL curriculum is the best for me
-new school with only one match list

Initially I was leaning toward UMD as my surefire choice, but after attending MCW's second look day I would say it's a 50/50 split between UMD and MCW. The only reason Hofstra is still in the mix is because of the money it would save me. I appreciate all of your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hofstra. No question. 30k year and great hospitals. Mcw will put you in what, 250k debt after interest?

Hofstra. No question. 30k year and great hospitals. Mcw will put you in what, 250k debt after interest?
Yes, that's about what I expect. And UMD would be ~$270K if I can get in state after M1, otherwise it would be over $300K.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you can go wrong with Hofstra OP. The pbl curriculum is something anyone can adjust to I think. The main downside is the mandatory sessions at 8am a few times a week.

I don't think you can go wrong with Hofstra OP. The pbl curriculum is something anyone can adjust to I think. The main downside is the mandatory sessions at 8am a few times a week.
I guess my main concern with Hofstra is whether their short history will limit my match options. I know that all 29 who applied to match this year did match, but only having one match list to refer to feels risky for me.

I guess my main concern with Hofstra is whether their short history will limit my match options. I know that all 29 who applied to match this year did match, but only having one match list to refer to feels risky for me.
I think your concerns are legitimate, but imagine how their inaugural class felt about matching. Maybe talk to some m4s that just matched from Hofstra and see what they say.

You won't have any trouble matching at Hofstra. Massive NSLIJ hospital system. Near NYC. All specialties. Lots of research. Smaller class size. IMO, you'll have better residency options at Hofstra.

You won't have any trouble matching at Hofstra. Massive NSLIJ hospital system. Near NYC. All specialties. Lots of research. Smaller class size. IMO, you'll have better residency options at Hofstra.
I agree that affiliation with NSLIJ and small class sizes are both great. Do you think it will be more difficult to match outside of the NY metro area?

I was accepted to NYMC today, so factor that one in as well.

NYMC:
+established school
+close to friends
+ proximity to NYC
+ early clinical exposure through preceptor program
+ availability to do rotations in NYC/Westchester/Paterson, NJ in the third year
+ new simulation center
- frequent exams
- large class size

I don't have a financial package, so I'm not sure how that will figure in. The school is private and pretty pricey, and I'm anticipating just loans for financial aid.

Hello all,

I am struggling to finalize my decision about where to attend school the next four years. A little about me: I applied as a Wisconsin resident, but I attended undergraduate in Maryland and lived there for an additional year after graduation doing research full-time. I live in the NY/NJ metro area currently. I am interested in pursing Orthopedics for now, but as we all know, that is subject to change.

I really enjoyed all three schools during my interview day. I attended second look at MCW on Friday and had a great time. I feel that I could be successful at all three schools, but I'm looking for advice on how to narrow down my choice.

MCW:
+established school
+close to family
+cheaper cost of living in Milwaukee area
+ availability to do all rotations on site
-private school tuition

UMD:
+established school
+familiarity with Baltimore area
+ old research and academic contacts in the area
+ awesome Shock Trauma Center
- will have OOS tuition for at least the first year (this is really my biggest concern here. If I had a guarantee that I could get IS tuition for M2-M4, I think this would be my clear first choice. I feel that I have a strong case for IS after M1 because I lived in Baltimore a year beyond graduation as a financially independent adult with MD state taxes being deducted from my income.)
-relatively expensive cost of living in downtown Baltimore
-A/B/C/D/F grading scale

Hofstra:
+30k/year scholarship
+brand-new facilities
+ affiliation with North Shore LIJ hospitals
+P/F grading system
+ small class size
+ proximity to NYC and undergraduate friends
+ EMT training included in curriculum
- I'm not sure that the PBL curriculum is the best for me
-new school with only one match list

Initially I was leaning toward UMD as my surefire choice, but after attending MCW's second look day I would say it's a 50/50 split between UMD and MCW. The only reason Hofstra is still in the mix is because of the money it would save me. I appreciate all of your advice.

Glad to hear you enjoyed second look day at MCW! A couple of other things to consider in favor of MCW:

1) as WI resident, you'd get the 5k+ capitation credit every year off of tuition, so it'd be around 45k for tuition (before a few of the fees) instead of close to 50k
2) Cost of living in Wauwatosa is cheap! my brother (an incoming student at mcw) just rented an 3 bedroom townhouse for $925, snow removal and laundry included (ie $308/month each person) 5 minutes from the front doors of school and 10 minutes from downtown 'tosa, WALKING. So in general you can count on low living expenses.
3) If you're interested in ortho, I know we had 6 from class of '13, 6 from class of '14, and 5 from class of '15 match ortho, including a buddy of mine who matched at mayo (can't remember where the others matched). Of course your specialty choice may change, just food for thought...
4) home cooked meals in med schools are really nice
5) You won't be the only packer fan at MCW :highfive:

I'm sure your other choices have great positives going for them as well, and it seems like you really can't go wrong between your 3 choices, so congrats! Best of luck in your decision!

I withdrew from Hofstra yesterday. Still torn between Maryland and MCW. I'm leaning toward MCW, but I can't grapple with turning down Maryland.

Maryland will be cheaper after the 1st year and is ranked higher for research. Both are good schools, go with your gut.

Maryland will be cheaper after the 1st year and is ranked higher for research. Both are good schools, go with your gut.
Maryland will only be cheaper if I get in-state tuition, which is not a guarantee based on what I've read and discussed with current students. Not to mention, the first year alone total CoA is ~$90K for out of state.

Reactions: 1 user
Go with MCW. Family support is a big plus! Plus it's cheaper!

Reactions: 1 user