University of Missouri c/o 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be visiting! anyone else??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
let me know if you guys wanna hang out while were there! it would be great to meet some future classmates :happy:

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be visiting! anyone else??
I'll be there too!!! I am excited that I will get to enjoy it more this time without the stress of the interview. I hope to see some of y'all there!

Sorry just realized I had already posted. HA! Well if you can't tell I'm excited..... (and a little crazy too I guess).

Last edited:
Yaaaay!!! im excited that some of yall will be there! I will be working the ambulatory truck on the hospital tour so make sure you say hello!!

Reactions: 2 users
I'll be in town/on campus for the State Science Olympiad, but I won't be at the open house.

I'll be doing small animal hospital tours from 10-12. Then I'll be hanging out at the PALS club table from 12:30-2 with my golden, Beamer (who will be there just about the entire open house, so be sure to say hi to my boy even if I'm not there!)

I know this subject has come up before, but note taking in vet school! What works for you, what doesn't, etc.?
I feel as if I learn best when writing. I like printing powerpoint slides or whatever off and writing directly on those. From what it sounds like, though, this may not be possible due to the volume of paper to be printed and/or the pace of the professor.
Current students, any advice? If printing notes isn't an option, I think I'd buy a tablet and just write on the powerpoints with a stylus. I just don't feel like the information sticks as well for me this way. And random question, how much room do you have in lecture? I really hope they are not those tiny fold up desk tables...

@razzledazzleme
I, like you, used to print off power point slides for lectures in undergrad. There are still a handful that do that here (but I really don't see how it is feasible with some of the sheer amount of slides people have and the cost of printing... though we do get $50 of free printing, which does help). I actually bought an iPad a few days before class started and it has been WONDERFUL. I really really love it. It's been an invaluable resource. I'd say most people in our class have some sort of tablet. I also sometimes use my laptop to take notes, but the majority of the time it is on my iPad (so handy to draw things out like I would on paper notes except I don't have a million pages I've printed out). I don't have a stylus (I bought one but hated using it) we all mostly have keyboards for our tablets.
As far as studying goes- it is a learning process. I changed the way I studied a few times and think I've finally found a good way for me about the time block 3 came around. You've just got to find what works for you (and even then it varies with classes and professors... so it will forever be changing). What I've finally found for most classes is that after each day, I try to type up an outline of each lecture we've had that day so I don't get behind on class. So, when the test comes around, I've already got an outline to study from, so I can just print it out and study from that. I can make additional notes on it or look up things that might not be clear, but everything is already right there and compact. Most of my friends have moved to doing this as well and seems to be working for them, too. Doesn't work for all classes, but I'd say most.
Sorry to disappoint, but yes, the first year auditorium does have those dreadful little half-desk things (if you can even call them desks). The second year classroom is much better and easier to spread out on.
Hopefully that helps- basically- throw everything you've ever done about studying in undergrad out the window and start fresh for vet school... in all seriousness.

Some hopeful here will get my spot. I informed them today about my non-attendance decision. :)

Todays Open House went AMAZING!! I hope anyone that is here visiting had a great time! It is a beautiful 80 degree day here in CoMo!! There is a group of us going out to dinner tonight with a couple incoming first years so if anyone is here and wants to join us, send me a message!

Members don't see this ad :)
We already have 15 people coming, whats another few more for dinner ;)
I am SO exhausted from open house. Gave my first tours today... a bit scary but went alright. Then hung out in Adams with Beamer boy (my golden) for a few hours. Had a great time!

Open house was so much fun!! I love campus and Columbia. We are out looking at apartments now.

Turned down my OOS seat today =(. I'm super bummed, I LOVED Mizzou but Penn was a better choice for me for personal reasons. Huge thanks to everyone who made me fall in love with Mizzou (Rainheart and Kpowell mainly!) and good luck to everyone starting in the fall!!!

So so sad you won't be joining us, Farmgirl, but I wish you the best of luck at Penn <3

I purposefully did not read through the wait list forums from last year until today. I wish I hadn't. It looks like they send out snail mail packets to IS waitlisted students instead of phone calls. That will add a few more days of anticipation. Le sigh...

Well I had no luck finding an apartment this weekend. :(

Aw no :( Nothing you like or availability hard to find? I may be searching beginning of June and worried Ill be too late!

You and me both.... I filled out a few applications but so far a lot of them haven't really contacted me back and I'm sorta worried about finding housing in time... I hope we both hear back and find something soon. I know at least I'm going slightly insane over it all lol.

Aw no :( Nothing you like or availability hard to find? I may be searching beginning of June and worried Ill be too late!
Most of the apartments are individual leasing only, so rent is per person. My boyfriend and I are moving together so we need leasing per unit. We really like Forest Village, but if you don't have a Missouri income you need a co-signer. We also looked at Katy Place, but they have 60 people on a wait list for the fall. All the duplexes that I found that were available were 900-1500 for rent which is more than I want to spend. If you are moving on your own you will probably have an easier time finding one since most apartments are individual leasing.

You and me both.... I filled out a few applications but so far a lot of them haven't really contacted me back and I'm sorta worried about finding housing in time... I hope we both hear back and find something soon. I know at least I'm going slightly insane over it all lol.
I'm sorry to hear that! :( It's making me a nervous wreck too. It really seemed like everything was for undergrads.

I'm sorry to hear that! :( It's making me a nervous wreck too. It really seemed like everything was for undergrads.
Exactly, and with the schedule it looks like we are going to have, I would rather not be in a really large complex with really noisy undergrads. I would love to find a small apartment in a quiet part of town that is relatively cheap and allows pets... but we will see. Finding housing is especially stressful to me when I can't be there in person to look around. I feel quite vulnerable and very wary of shopping online for the place I will be living at all next year.

Exactly, and with the schedule it looks like we are going to have, I would rather not be in a really large complex with really noisy undergrads. I would love to find a small apartment in a quiet part of town that is relatively cheap and allows pets... but we will see. Finding housing is especially stressful to me when I can't be there in person to look around. I feel quite vulnerable and very wary of shopping online for the place I will be living at all next year.
Yes it would be perfect to find something a little ways out of town. We drove 6 hours to look around. I looked online first to get an idea of what I liked but once I got here I kind of changed my mind on some. I, personally, really liked the south side of town the best. Maybe that will help you out some.

I really enjoy living on the south side... it is quiet down here. Plus everything I need is down here, too.

I really enjoy living on the south side... it is quiet down here. Plus everything I need is down here, too.
If you don't mind, could you pm the name of your duplexes? I want to check them out ( if I haven't already).

Of course! I think the smallest ones they have are two bedroom ones- not sure if they have any available, but wouldn't hurt to look.

If anyone is interested in being roommates, I will be renting out 1 or 2 rooms next semester. 1 if I get in, 2 if I don't. It's a townhouse, and I know the neighbors so I definitely don't have to worry about craziness. It is pet friendly (any size dog too!), but I have two fur babies so it would depend on temperment. Also, it's about 5-10 minutes from the vet school. Rent is $325 (+ pet rent if you have one), plus 1/2 utilities. It isn't the most up to date place, but it's clean, quiet, and close. Hit me up if you are interested and I can give you more info.

I found a nice place this past weekend called Dalclifton apartments that Rainheart mentioned to me a little while ago. It's only five minutes from the vet school, in a VERY quiet area because it's in kind of a cul-de-sac. I'm living alone, but they didn't have any one bedroom left, so I opted for the 2 bedroom where they have one larger room and one smaller office room. They have a pet fee of $10 a month I think. Rent is $510 I believe and the lady who owns it is extremelyyyy nice. She only rents to grad students or working people and she said the occasional undergrad (she said only the "nerdy ones" haha). The apartment was really nice and clean, and a really nice creek/woodsy area is behind the apartment buildings. Let me know if you guys want more info!!!! I chose this place after looking at and comparing 3 places

I cannot take the credit for suggesting that one- I only half/partially know about it (and then forgot about it later) because my big is moving there. Sounds like a great place, though.

Hey everyone!

I am OOS and will be buying a 3 bedroom, 2 bath condo about 9 minutes away from campus by car. It is VERY nice and pets are acceptable with a pet deposit. We have not written up the lease yet but rent will probably be ~ $450. If you are interested in rooming with me (female roommates preferred!) please e-mail or facebook message me, my e-mail is [email protected], and you can find me on Facebook if you search Devin Gardner :)

Received a call from Kathy today!! Couldn't believe it! Declined it since going to my IS just works out better so hopefully someone on here gets a call soon! :xf::xf:

That's great news! Good for you! I have been trying not to be anxious all day today since I have not received a phone call, but I read from last year's threads that they mail packets to in-state students instead of phone calls.

That's great news! Good for you! I have been trying not to be anxious all day today since I have not received a phone call, but I read from last year's threads that they mail packets to in-state students instead of phone calls.

I have my fingers crossed for you!

I GOT IN!!! IM COMING TO MISSOURI!!!!!

IS THERE A FACEBOOK?!?!?!

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!1!!!!1!11

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats Kittyy!!! :D

I GOT IN!!! IM COMING TO MISSOURI!!!!!

IS THERE A FACEBOOK?!?!?!

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!1!!!!1!11

Congrats, Kittyy!!!! Find me on facebook!! VERY excited for you :D

AHHHHHH GOING OUT FOR DINNER OH MY GOOOOOOODDDNESSSSS

Enjoy it! You deserve it!! We're going to be colleagues :D I'm going to assume you are the one who just joined the C/O 2018 page, so I'm going to friend you :) I, of course, have a golden in my profile picture :) Congrats again :D :D :D

Enjoy it! You deserve it!! We're going to be colleagues :D I'm going to assume you are the one who just joined the C/O 2018 page, so I'm going to friend you :) I, of course, have a golden in my profile picture :) Congrats again :D :D :D
That's me!!!!!

You never friended me :(

Hey!! Did you post on the Facebook page like 45 minutes ago? If that's you I'm adding you!

I think it was :ninja:.

Haha, it's actually kinda silly, but I somewhat glanced through the FB group and was like "Oh, I wonder if this is ___ from SDN." Maybe I am weird? :oops:

Hey!! Did you post on the Facebook page like 45 minutes ago? If that's you I'm adding you!
I did post on the Facebook page. My first name is Rachael if that helps! Please add me :) I am so excited to get to know my classmates!

I've seen in a few different places (threads from last year, waitlist survivors, etc) that mizzou calls oos but sends packets to IS. Can anyone verify? I'm IS, and I didn't get a phone call yesterday. Should I be panicking?