University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
when did you guys take the DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Received my call for an II today!

IS, 3.5/3.4, 28, strong LORs, 1.5 years of research, ~1500 hours of volunteer experience, ER scribe

Congrats! Hopefully more of us will join you! When are you interviewing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing 8/22 or before?

so nervous & excited!
:3

On the secondary it asks to explain why if you went to two or more universities. I went to my school for 4 years but one summer i took a class at another college. Do I still need to explain why if it's just 1 class?

On the secondary it asks to explain why if you went to two or more universities. I went to my school for 4 years but one summer i took a class at another college. Do I still need to explain why if it's just 1 class?
Yes, I would. Just write exactly what you wrote here, and explain why (closer to home, cheaper tuition, and etc.)

Yes, the character count does include spaces (this is the default interpretation for essays, unless the prompt says to count "words only, not including spaces").

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any input from those of you who just recently interviewed here (or have in the past)? How were they / any weird questions?

How long does it take to receive the EUID for secondaries after TMDSAS notifies you that they sent off your primary App?

Also, my stats are 3.52/3.54 science, 30 mcat
In State
4 doctor shadowings (1 w/ DO), and DO letter of rec
200 hours clinical volunteering
1 semester of research
Finance/Econ major w/ internships and 1 year full time job ( non -trad)
7 years working at vet clinic
Clubs.. etc..

Do I have a good chance of receiving an interview this late if my primary was sent to TCOM today?

Any insight is appreciated

Last edited:
How long does it take to receive the EUID for secondaries after TMDSAS notifies you that they sent off your primary App?

Also, my stats are 3.52/3.54 science, 30 mcat
In State
4 doctor shadowings (1 w/ DO), and DO letter of rec
200 hours clinical volunteering
1 semester of research
Finance/Econ major w/ internships and 1 year full time job ( non -trad)
7 years working at vet clinic
Clubs.. etc..

Do I have a good chance of receiving an interview this late if my primary was sent to TCOM today?

Any insight is appreciated

Your stats are right along TCOMs averages, so I say you still have a good shot for an interview.

If we sent a DO letter, is there any way we can check on the portal to see if the admissions office received it?

I don't believe so. The only option I can think if it's to call the admissions office.

It definitely takes a couple days to get your EUID after getting their initial email.
I submitted my secondary last week and got a confirmation email that they received it. However, I have not yet received anything about the EUID. This is my second year applying and I tried to use the same EUID from last year and it does not show anything.
I emailed the school 2 days ago and no answer
Do you guys know if it takes this long to get any info from them?

TCOM received my primary Monday, I got my EUID Tuesday, and I submitted my secondary today. They have it listed as "complete"

Also, on the secondary I did not put a DO letter because I submitted a third letter through TMDSAS which was my DO letter.. should I have added the DO letter again in the secondary, or do you think they will realize that I have a DO letter but it was with my TMDSAS app? Kind of a silly question, but I am curious - and I want my DO letter to be recognized as such

TCOM received my primary Monday, I got my EUID Tuesday, and I submitted my secondary today. They have it listed as "complete"

Also, on the secondary I did not put a DO letter because I submitted a third letter through TMDSAS which was my DO letter.. should I have added the DO letter again in the secondary, or do you think they will realize that I have a DO letter but it was with my TMDSAS app? Kind of a silly question, but I am curious - and I want my DO letter to be recognized as such

I think they will be able to connect the dots. I wouldn't worry about it.

what phone number does the II come from? I've had a couple unknown #s call and my voicemail was full....

So, does TCOM usually call from unavailable or unknown numbers? I got a call from and unavailable number at around 8am yesterday, and another at 5:21pm. Someone please tell me it wasn't them because they didn't leave any messages.

If Caroline wants to talk to you, she'll get a hold of you. But don't make it hard for her - clear your voicemail box.

Interviewed here on Friday. Would rank this school above many MD schools, amazing atmosphere and facilities.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewers were very easy-going and the interviews were mostly just conversations with the interviewers, nothing to be nervous about at all.

Caroline tried to call me today. Im guessing that is for an interview invite? fingers crossed

So i have an interview date of September 5th

Primary Verification; 8/17/2014
Secondary: 8/19/2014
Interview invite: 8/25/2014
Interview date: 9/5/2014

Stats:
Instate
3.52/3.54 30 MCAT

Im excited and suprised at the quick turnaround for an interview invitation

So i have an interview date of September 5th

Primary Verification; 8/17/2014
Secondary: 8/19/2014
Interview invite: 8/25/2014
Interview date: 9/5/2014

Stats:
Instate
3.52/3.54 30 MCAT

Im excited and suprised at the quick turnaround for an interview invitation
Congratulations and good luck!

Congratulations everyone for your Interviews.....that is a wonderful thing.

I was interested in opinions. and maybe some realistic feedback.

I am an non-traditional student and wanted TCOM as my first choice for school. I have heard nothing but great things(even our pathology director is from TCOM). I am in the area and work as a Clinical Lab Sciences in Fort Worth for Texas Health and I have been in discussions for the company to cover my tuition. I have two degrees(one in Biochemistry and another in Clinical Lab Sciences). My first degree GPA is really good with almost a 4.0 science GPA. But my graduate GPA is terrible bringing my overall down to a 3.5. From what I understand a CLS degree is one of the hardest BS to obtain. I just prepared for my my MCAT in a two month time span and took it without having these courses for 10 years. I took it July 25th and just sent out my scores. To my surprise I did terrible with a 25. 9/7/9. This does not mimic my practice exams at all. I have 1000s of hours of research, 1000s of hours of in hospital diagnostics, and have a really large understanding of the entire medical field from finances, to insurance, to diagnostics. At this point I am pretty disappointed in myself and am hoping the admissions officers will not automatically toss out my application based on this.

In reality has anyone had or know anyone with a similar background and scores that got accepted? Or any advice on what to do at this point to at least get an interview. I have no doubt with my background my interview will go very smoothly. Thanks for any advice everyone.

I say go for it, I too had a significant medical work history, though on the clinical side of medicine. I think more than anything, that MCAT score reflects the time distance you have between taking those subjects in school and being tested. All they can do is tell you no. I will be the first to say that experience wont replace numbers or grades, but I think there is a balance, and TCOM more than many, prides themselves on identifying those outliers that have real substance to their applications. Let your impressive experience tell the story your MCAT doesnt.

Congratulations everyone for your Interviews.....that is a wonderful thing.

I was interested in opinions. and maybe some realistic feedback.

I am an non-traditional student and wanted TCOM as my first choice for school. I have heard nothing but great things(even our pathology director is from TCOM). I am in the area and work as a Clinical Lab Sciences in Fort Worth for Texas Health and I have been in discussions for the company to cover my tuition. I have two degrees(one in Biochemistry and another in Clinical Lab Sciences). My first degree GPA is really good with almost a 4.0 science GPA. But my graduate GPA is terrible bringing my overall down to a 3.5. From what I understand a CLS degree is one of the hardest BS to obtain. I just prepared for my my MCAT in a two month time span and took it without having these courses for 10 years. I took it July 25th and just sent out my scores. To my surprise I did terrible with a 25. 9/7/9. This does not mimic my practice exams at all. I have 1000s of hours of research, 1000s of hours of in hospital diagnostics, and have a really large understanding of the entire medical field from finances, to insurance, to diagnostics. At this point I am pretty disappointed in myself and am hoping the admissions officers will not automatically toss out my application based on this.

In reality has anyone had or know anyone with a similar background and scores that got accepted? Or any advice on what to do at this point to at least get an interview. I have no doubt with my background my interview will go very smoothly. Thanks for any advice everyone.

Your work experience is a plus in that Texas Health is well known to many TCOM folks (BTW the president of their physicians group is also a TCOM grad). But I don't see any mention of patient care or patient interactions in a clinical setting in your post. What is your clinical experience outside of the lab? Any ECs or volunteering?

Your work experience is a plus in that Texas Health is well known to many TCOM folks (BTW the president of their physicians group is also a TCOM grad). But I don't see any mention of patient care or patient interactions in a clinical setting in your post. What is your clinical experience outside of the lab? Any ECs or volunteering?

Yes, sorry I didn't mention that. I have plenty of patient experience in the realm of phlebotomy, biopsies, and shadowing experience with direct clinicians as well. Also have completed some ED training, and used to work in an Oncology/Hematology clinic where every patient in the practice we knew by face and name. I like to interact with a lot of our outpatients at THR when they have questions, as it gives them peace of mind. My wife is also a Senior Sonographer for USMD so I get the imaging side of things at home with her friends and colleagues.

One of our hospitalists in the ED is also a TCOM grad and was accepted with a 23. Im just nervous that my STAT numbers will get overlooked before I have the chance to meet and greet and express my qualifications. I just hope they realize that a lot of my MCAT courses were not taken sense 2004 and I studied on my own without a prep course.

BTW do you know which THR Physician's group. I know they contract with quit a few. Especially the Harris area. I just recently interviewed to asset in getting Forrest Park's new facility up and running in Fort Worth.

Yes, sorry I didn't mention that. I have plenty of patient experience in the realm of phlebotomy, biopsies, and shadowing experience with direct clinicians as well. Also have completed some ED training, and used to work in an Oncology/Hematology clinic where every patient in the practice we knew by face and name. I like to interact with a lot of our outpatients at THR when they have questions, as it gives them peace of mind. My wife is also a Senior Sonographer for USMD so I get the imaging side of things at home with her friends and colleagues.

One of our hospitalists in the ED is also a TCOM grad and was accepted with a 23. Im just nervous that my STAT numbers will get overlooked before I have the chance to meet and greet and express my qualifications. I just hope they realize that a lot of my MCAT courses were not taken sense 2004 and I studied on my own without a prep course.

BTW do you know which THR Physician's group. I know they contract with quit a few. Especially the Harris area. I just recently interviewed to asset in getting Forrest Park's new facility up and running in Fort Worth.

I am pretty much in the same situation as you but in Houston. I am CLS and tons of tons of all the other stuff. Unfortunatly, for us working in a stressful environment takes our minds aside from doing well on the MCAT. I have similar mcat and if I am aware you are in a better boat than I. I think you need to calm down! I have friends that have been accepted in MD programs with similar MCAT scores. Besides, you have graduate work and you are A professional. Despite anyone who might tell you that your chances are low... I have been to some open houses and most schools always say they value professionals and they also look at the type of job and amount of hours the candidate works.

So relax, put in your good effort to secondaries wherever you apply. And when you get an interview show them you mean business! You have a much greater chance, baased on experience and backgroung, to succeed than many others who just left college. (not saying college students don't)

Good luck

Got the call for an interview yesterday :) I honestly wasn't expecting an invite so quickly. I thought Caroline was calling to tell me I had something missing from my secondary. I'll be at UNT on 9/19/14! Any tips from UNT students, or other interviewees?

Stats:
Primary recieved: 8/23/14
Secondary submitted: 8/25/14
Interview Call: 8/27/14
MCAT: 30
cGPA: 3.96
BCPM GPA: 3.93
Great LOR's in a committee packet. No DO LOR.

The interview day was awesome, and the staff was incredibly kind and informative. The interviews were mostly conversational and gave good positive feedback throughout the interview. Just ask questions of the staff and have fun.

Also, Congrats! Keep in mind that if you received an interview invite, you have a better than 50% chance of being accepted (According to last years figures).

Did any of you speak to Caroline or admissions prior to setting up for the interview...just to give a voice to name?

II today for 9/19/14!
Stats: Instate
Overall: 3.33
BCPM: 3.27
MCAT: 32

Last edited:

The doc I mentioned is Dr Parsley. I believe he's in charge of the entire provider network (i.e. at all locations across six counties, including labs). As far as your app, it's still early to prognosticate either way. If you get a secondary, get it in ASAP. If you need to clarify something, just call the admissions office. They're a bunch of very nice people. I wish you the best of luck!

Anyone interviewing on the 9/9?

The doc I mentioned is Dr Parsley. I believe he's in charge of the entire provider network (i.e. at all locations across six counties, including labs). As far as your app, it's still early to prognosticate either way. If you get a secondary, get it in ASAP. If you need to clarify something, just call the admissions office. They're a bunch of very nice people. I wish you the best of luck!

I actually got everything in prior to June and got a secondary request before July. I am not sure if they evaluated it with/without the MCAT scores. I didn't sit for the exam until July 25th and scores didn't come back until Aug 26th. I actually spoke to our chief pathologist about it. Come to find out she teaches at TCOM and she said she is starting to scale back her practice and do more teaching. She even asked if I wanted her to write a letter of recommend for me(kicking myself because I should have gotten that sooner) and it would have carried a lot of weight.

Also, Isn't Brian Parsley a separate practice with THR privileges? Even the internal groups? From my understanding they have very limited Physician control at THR entities and have very strict regulations on internal practices where clinicians almost completely run the company. I know the pathology departments only allows the Ameripath group to practice in their facilities. From my understanding most of THR is governed by FACHE members who are not physicians. Winjie Miao(very nice person) is head of Alliance and she is an engineer. Idk Ill ask Dr. Allen about it he is out Chief of Med internally here.

It's Shawn Parsley, not Brian. Most schools don't look at your app without an MCAT score. Because your score is so recent, it's highly probable that they haven't reviewed your file, considering they get thousands of apps every year. Again, good luck.

Does anyone know what is the approximate breakdown for the number of interviews offered, number of people wait listed, and number people of accepted? Thanks!

II!!
Really surprised at the quick turnaround!
Re-applicant:

MCAT: 27
CUMGPA: 3.77
SGPA: 3.67
IS student
5 LOR (2 DO's, 1 MD, 1 professor, and 1 committee letter)

Hoping that I can get in this time around.

Submitted TMDSAS: 8/4
Secondary submitted 8/12
Verified TMDSAS and sent to TCOM 8/28
Interview invite: 9/3

Interviewing on 9/19!!