University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait. If you don't pick up their call, does that mean you don't get the interview? I never pick up unknown number. I assume they'll still update the website even if I miss the call. Hmmm, I guess i gotta start picking calls from now on.

Members don't see this ad.

They would have left a voicemail if you missed their call and the website would update as well.

Reactions: 1 user
II today. In-state lizzy score ~ 66.
Complete August 1.
Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. I am a new member, and this is my first post.
I am a Texas Resident. I submitted my secondary application to UNTHSC DO program (my dream school) on 06/13. However, I still haven't heard back from them at all since. This waiting is really getting to me. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard back from any of the 8 schools I have applied to.
I am assuming this is because of my low stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (two majors)
Grad GPA (MPH program): 3.6
MCAT: 496
Shadowing: 200+ hours
Research: 1000+ hours
I have got some great community/volunteer work
Strong LORs
Strong essays

I understand my mcat is quite low - however I still have that tiny ray of hope that I will get an interview invite at least! Do you guys think I at least have a chance?
Any ideas/suggestions will be helpful.
Thank you.

Hello everyone. I am a new member, and this is my first post.
I am a Texas Resident. I submitted my secondary application to UNTHSC DO program (my dream school) on 06/13. However, I still haven't heard back from them at all since. This waiting is really getting to me. As a matter of fact, I haven't heard back from any of the 8 schools I have applied to.
I am assuming this is because of my low stats:

Undergrad GPA: 3.3 (two majors)
Grad GPA (MPH program): 3.6
MCAT: 496
Shadowing: 200+ hours
Research: 1000+ hours
I have got some great community/volunteer work
Strong LORs
Strong essays

I understand my mcat is quite low - however I still have that tiny ray of hope that I will get an interview invite at least! Do you guys think I at least have a chance?
Any ideas/suggestions will be helpful.
Thank you.

Did you apply to any OOS DO schools? Including UIW. We have similar GPAs but my MCAT is 10+ higher. No response from TCOM yet for me and I realize I may not get one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Did you apply to any OOS DO schools? Including UIW. We have similar GPAs but my MCAT is 10+ higher. No response from TCOM yet for me and I realize I may not get one.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Dude, you'll get one.

I submitted secondary in July and haven't heard a peep.

Stats are ugrad: 3.2 (strong upward trend), sgpa: 3.7, mcat: 513

I'm realistic that my stats are subpar, but optimistic that I'll still be considered for II.

Although it has been a while since I submitted.

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

TCOM still has lots of interview spots for this year. Try not to think about it too much and relax while you can!

Members don't see this ad :)
School-specific interview tips? Sorry if this has been asked before

II today! IS, complete mid June.

In state (from Fort Worth), LizzyM ~75. Completed 6/23 and still no word back :( Is there any hope for me? TCOM is honestly one of my top choices, I'd like to stay in the area. I thought I conveyed it really well in the secondary, as well as a DO letter that I worked for who graduated from TCOM and legacy status from my father :/

In state (from Fort Worth), LizzyM ~75. Completed 6/23 and still no word back :( Is there any hope for me? TCOM is honestly one of my top choices, I'd like to stay in the area. I thought I conveyed it really well in the secondary, as well as a DO letter that I worked for who graduated from TCOM and legacy status from my father :/
Damn Ross you may be the boss

School-specific interview tips? Sorry if this has been asked before
Read up on current Healthcare Reform enough to have an intelligent opinion on it. How to answer ethical dilemmas questions. Since the interview is conversational, most important tip is to RELAX and be YOURSELF

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone interviewed here have a status change from interview invite to complete application+under review? Just wondering.

Haven't gotten a II here so far. Literally OOS MD schools are giving me so much more love than TX. :p

Haven't gotten a II here so far. Literally OOS MD schools are giving me so much more love than TX. :p

Good to see another potterhead here. Not that I am against muggles, but let's hope all witches and wizards, like us, get in our top choice of school. :p:D

I have heard that TCOM is really tough to get into. I have a 4.0 and a 599 mcat (top 1.0 e-10%), have been published 16 times this year, shadowed 3k hours, and volunteered 5k hours last month alone.

I called and asked what to do to strengthen my application and they said "we don't offer II's to anyone in the bottom 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of anything."

They also said they don't accept anyone that has any legacy affiliation, listed them as their top pick, or went to any other UNT campus ever.

Competitive school.

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Anyone interviewed here have a status change from interview invite to complete application+under review? Just wondering.

I interviewed on 9/27, still says "You have been invited for an interview."

So if my portal says "application has been reviewed", that means I will most likely not getting an II?

Interviewed on 08/02. Can answer any questions regarding the interview day if anyone has any.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
So if my portal says "application has been reviewed", that means I will most likely not getting an II?

From the 2015-2016 thread... it seems that way. I hope I'm wrong and they're just slow?

If your app says "has been reviewed" pre-interview then you will most likely receive a formal rejection via snail mail unless it changed from previous years.

Does anyone know if the rural track program is harder to get into than just getting into TCOM in general? Also does TCOM select applicants to interview for that track in a different manner?

Doesn't look like TCOM is close for Columbus Day. Hopefully we hear things, so silent.

I had a great interview experience today. The other applicants were all very sharp and the interviews were relaxed.

Reactions: 2 users
If you're posting this to follow the thread, I believe you can click the "watch thread" link at the top right of the first post.

Thanks! Sorry, I didn't think that was a feature on here but thanks for the tip.

Does anyone know if the rural track program is harder to get into than just getting into TCOM in general? Also does TCOM select applicants to interview for that track in a different manner?
The orientation given by a faculty covered the need for rural physicians. There are several Texas counties with no physicians. TCOM has a mission to address this. My interests rural practice increased after the orientation. I don't think it's harder, but they probably want to confirm your interest in it.
I looked through last year's thread and it seems that those in ROME, had a 3rd interview. This was last year.

The orientation given by a faculty covered the need for rural physicians. There are several Texas counties with no physicians. TCOM has a mission to address this. My interests rural practice increased after the orientation. I don't think it's harder, but they probably want to confirm your interest in it.
I looked through last year's thread and it seems that those in ROME, had a 3rd interview. This was last year.
A whole county w/ no docs? That's crazy!

It is pretty crazy, but keep in mind that Texas is huge. There are dozens of counties with (estimated) populations under 5,000 total residents, and several even under 1,000 residents. Although the residents of these counties surely need (and should have access to) healthcare just like anybody else, this would make it difficult for a physician in the county to establish a consistent running practice.

Texas ranks 47th in the nation in active primary care physicians (PCPs) per 100,000 population.  35 Texas counties have no physicians of any kind.  80 Texas counties have five or fewer physicians.  147 Texas counties have no obstetrician/gynecologist.  185 Texas counties have no general psychiatrist.  158 Texas counties have no general surgeon.

Merritt, J., J. Hawkins, et al. (2015).

Texas ranks 47th in the nation in active primary care physicians (PCPs) per 100,000 population.  35 Texas counties have no physicians of any kind.  80 Texas counties have five or fewer physicians.  147 Texas counties have no obstetrician/gynecologist.  185 Texas counties have no general psychiatrist.  158 Texas counties have no general surgeon.

Merritt, J., J. Hawkins, et al. (2015).
Yeah I looked it up after your initial post. I was thinking more Denton/Tarrant county size not having a doc lol. I didn't think of the smaller counties. Some of these places have less than 1000 people but yeah this highlights the fact that access to healthcare is terrible in a lot of places in TX.

What is the likelihood OOS will get an acceptance/rejection tomorrow?

Should I do their application??? It's due in a few days. Reading this thread gives me hope that It's worth a shot to put in it (non-trad, good experience, interesting background, OK-DECENT stats)

Should I do their application??? It's due in a few days. Reading this thread gives me hope that It's worth a shot to put in it (non-trad, good experience, interesting background, OK-DECENT stats)

I've seen you on the other TMDSAS school threads regarding secondaries! I totally encourage writing the secondary for this school. I've interviewed at quite a lot of Texas schools this cycle and this school is tied for my top so far. For the secondary I recommend writing about any experiences you have with osteopathic medicine (if any) and if you have none, talk about why you synergize with the ideas/missions of osteopathic medicine or why you are interested in TCOM.

Reviewing over my application, I suddenly feel like my response to their secondary question on motivation for pursuing osteopathic medicine was somewhat weak. My question is do they accept update letters and would it be worth it to email them with a more recent experience or is my app pretty much going to get tossed at this point? I'm an in-state resident and my LizzyM is 68-69 for reference.

I assume that some OOS applicants that have interviewed might get acceptances tomorrow?

OOS people - How long did it take for your application to go from Application Complete to under review/ had an interview invite? I've been listed as complete for nearly 2 months now... Starting to worry :(

OOS people - How long did it take for your application to go from Application Complete to under review/ had an interview invite? I've been listed as complete for nearly 2 months now... Starting to worry :(
I've been complete since June. LizzyM 70. I hope they're not done interviewing OOS but my hopes aren't high :confused:

I've been complete since June. LizzyM 70. I hope they're not done interviewing OOS but my hopes aren't high :confused:
Judging from last years threads, I don't think they are done. Well, I hope that I am right for OOS. IS II go in for months. Hope you guys still have a chance.

Last edited: