UNLV Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd -> 4th year UNLV dental here to answer any questions. I check my inbox on Mondays only. I will tell you all the good stuff and bad stuff depending on what you want to know

Reactions: 3 users
2nd --> 3rd year UNLV dental here to answer any questions, as well!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3rd -> 4th year UNLV dental here to answer any questions. I check my inbox on Mondays only. I will tell you all the good stuff and bad stuff depending on what you want to know
How’s the clinical experience? I know this is covid era, but in a non covid era, how much experience do you get in all the procedures? How does one get as much experience as possible in things like molar endo, placing implants, crowns, or things that may be considered more specialized?

What is your schedule like including class, labs, studying, free time, etc. in all of your years?

How’s the clinical experience? I know this is covid era, but in a non covid era, how much experience do you get in all the procedures? How does one get as much experience as possible in things like molar endo, placing implants, crowns, or things that may be considered more specialized?
You get a lot of clinical experience (pre-covid) actually. That was one of my main draws to the school (that, and the price -- in state tuition after a year even if you are from out of state is absolutely massive). When I was a D1, I heard of a D4 doing something like 60 root canals. I'm sure people have done more, too. What's really cool is that 2nd years get started in Clinic right away. So I started clinic last September at the beginning of my 2nd year, and since then I have done restorations, cleanings, SRPs, Full Mouth Xrays, etc. This upcoming semester I will be doing all dentistry (root canals, crowns, bridges, dentures, etc.). Now with Covid it kind of threw a wrench in it all, as we are not allowed to do aerosolized procedures yet, but I think that's with basically every school.

If you want MORE experience, you can just head over to the Endo clinic and kind of just wait around and see what falls into your lap. Our lead faculty in Endo, Dr. Lemon, is world-class in the field. If you get "in the know" with him, he'll make sure you're well taken care of in terms of getting extra endo done. Placing implants I don't know much about, but it is done at school. I think not all that frequently given the extra cost associated with it, and with the majority of our patients coming to school to get cheaper care, it doesn't really make sense for most of them -- they'll just do an RPD or Bridge. For crowns, it's kind of how lucky you get with patients who need them. That said, you will 100% get enough crowns to graduate, but there is no special way to go about getting more. I was just assigned a patient who needs 2 crowns, and I'm still technically a D2 until September. You CAN practice crowns in the sim lab, have them scanned in a CAD/CAM machine, check out your margins and mill a crown for it, if you want. Although you will have to pay for the porcelain/zirconia probably if you were to do that a lot.

Hope this all helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Which was harder, first or second year?
I personally thought 1st year overall was harder, as most of the stuff you learn is just basic science stuff and doesn't really feel like it has much to do with dentistry and that made it tough. Plus you have a ton of classes and just starting in sim working with your hands --- it's a lot. But doable! However, 2nd semester second year is the hardest semester in dental school, in my opinion. Just a ton of classes, ton of sim lab work, and clinic on top of it -- all while studying for boards!! (Keep in mind though, your class wont have to worry about boards as you will all be taking the Integrated Boards. Meaning you'll take it sometime in your 3rd year, so that's super nice).

As long as you star organized, don't goof off and just spend your time productively, you'll be fine. I haven't been stressed in dental school more than a week or 2 at a time here and there, and that's usually because of midterms or finals or some clinic restoration I had never done on a person that was coming up and I was anxious about it.

You got it! Don't worry.

What is your schedule like including class, labs, studying, free time, etc. in all of your years?
The Schedule really depends on the year you are in. First year you will be in class basically 8 am - 5 pm everyday. 90% of that is didactic work, the other 10% is sim lab (dental anatomy/waxing sim lab). You'll get home and be tired but basically have to study because you'll have like 11 classes or something. BUT that said, I was able to go to the gym 6 days a week during my first 2 years -- if something is a priority, you'll make time for it. On the weekends you can study lots too, so it'll make up for anything you can't get done during the week. Luckily for me, my class (the Maroons -- Color of our scrubs) is SUPER close and fun, so we all (still do) go out with each other to relieve some stress after large amounts of exams like midterms or finals. We also go on trips together -- Cabo, San Diego, planning an Austin trip, etc. You'll find a group of people in your class that you like to hang with and will hang with them a bunch.

2nd year first semester is SUPER chill. Only 1 "tougher" class in Pathology, and you start Clinic. Outside of those two stressors, it's smooth sailing. I had an unbelievable amount of free time then -- hung out with friends, went to the gym, etc. That said, I do pride myself on my hand skills, so I would go into Sim Lab on the weekends and just practice drilling for a few hours pretty much every weekend. Just something personally I did, you don't have to if you don't want to of course. Spring Semester of 2nd year you are basically slammed. I had to stop going to the gym it got that busy, but you'll get through it. It'll be fine.

I'm not there yet, but from what I've seen 3rd and 4th year are a different kind of stress. You don't have very many didactic classes (I think like 4 max? We usually have 9-11 per semester hahah), but you have clinic everyday and working with people can be stressful -- you know how people can be. You'll get nice ones and not so nice, but that's how it goes and it teaches you how to be a better communicator which is great.

Hope this helps!

The Schedule really depends on the year you are in. First year you will be in class basically 8 am - 5 pm everyday. 90% of that is didactic work, the other 10% is sim lab (dental anatomy/waxing sim lab). You'll get home and be tired but basically have to study because you'll have like 11 classes or something. BUT that said, I was able to go to the gym 6 days a week during my first 2 years -- if something is a priority, you'll make time for it. On the weekends you can study lots too, so it'll make up for anything you can't get done during the week. Luckily for me, my class (the Maroons -- Color of our scrubs) is SUPER close and fun, so we all (still do) go out with each other to relieve some stress after large amounts of exams like midterms or finals. We also go on trips together -- Cabo, San Diego, planning an Austin trip, etc. You'll find a group of people in your class that you like to hang with and will hang with them a bunch.

2nd year first semester is SUPER chill. Only 1 "tougher" class in Pathology, and you start Clinic. Outside of those two stressors, it's smooth sailing. I had an unbelievable amount of free time then -- hung out with friends, went to the gym, etc. That said, I do pride myself on my hand skills, so I would go into Sim Lab on the weekends and just practice drilling for a few hours pretty much every weekend. Just something personally I did, you don't have to if you don't want to of course. Spring Semester of 2nd year you are basically slammed. I had to stop going to the gym it got that busy, but you'll get through it. It'll be fine.

I'm not there yet, but from what I've seen 3rd and 4th year are a different kind of stress. You don't have very many didactic classes (I think like 4 max? We usually have 9-11 per semester hahah), but you have clinic everyday and working with people can be stressful -- you know how people can be. You'll get nice ones and not so nice, but that's how it goes and it teaches you how to be a better communicator which is great.

Hope this helps!
All really helpful. Thank you!

i didn’t really know how dental school exactly worked or what the rules were, so I didn’t know you can just go to different clinics and try to get more experience in procedures. Are these clinics open on weekends as well? I know you said you can go to the sim lab and practice on weekends, but can you do procedures too?

Yeah, you can go to any clinic you want as long as you don't have a patient or if you already have pre-arranged plans with another classmate to help assist them. The clinics are only open on the weekdays, but there is a thing called the Ferrin clinic that is open 1 Saturday a month that takes in veterans and you can get experience there. There are also women's clinics that do the same thing essentially, but for women. And I think there is a "Give Kids a Smile" day where it's all kids.

Sim Lab = Simulation Lab. So everything you do in there is not on real people, it's just on fake heads and fake teeth and such. So I would go in there and practice cutting crowns on fake teeth, or practice Class II restorations on fake teeth that I had coming up on a real person later in the week. It's just to practice in there, so no procedures on real people at all. It's nice though, because you can practice your crowns, endo, restorative, removable prosth, etc. all in there, all on your own time so you can listen to music and kind of chill and not be stressed, and then you'll be super prepared for your real patient you have during the week. Whenever I have a restoration I will go into Sim Lab and practice cutting 5-7 preps of the same type on fake plastic teeth just so I am as prepared for the real deal in the future. For me that helped calm my nerves a ton when it came to actually drilling on people so that I would do the best job I could -- and so far it's worked... Every restoration I've done has gone without much problem and people seem to leave really happy so I'm stoked about that.

Pre-Covid, and still possibly current, the following are the MINIMUM number of procedures in order to graduate

10 simple extractions
8 surgical/complex extractions
10 emergency exams
2 Stainless Steel Crown
2 Pulpotomies on pediatric patients
2 Pediatric diagnosis and treatment planning
2 pediatric direct restorations
2 emergency pediatric exams
1 pediatric extractions
2 pediatric prophy
1 implant planning
2 periodontal assisting
5 re-examination of current patients
3 patient behavioral management
2 partial dentures
2 bridges
2 complete dentures
5 crowns (non all-ceramic)
4 root canals
5 occlusion and functional analysis
5 periodontal re-evaluation after SRPs
2 pathology consultation for suspicious lesions
5 medically complex comprehensive exam and diagnosis
5 simple comprehensive exam and diagnosis
5 Class 3 composite restorations
3 Class 2 composite restorations
3 Class 2 amalgam restorations
8 quadrants of SRPs

Members don't see this ad :)

To get as much experience, you simply ask your upperclassmen for specific patients, and if they have extras, they'll give them to you. Otherwise, it's a lucky gamble between you and your scheduler and which patient will come and pay for the procedures.

You will not place implants at this school. You will be offered to take a molar endo course (optional and already included in your tuition).

Schedule is essentially 8-5 Monday - Friday. For a complete answer, please PM me your e-mail and I'll send you all 11 semesters of the schedule.

To get as much experience, you simply ask your upperclassmen for specific patients, and if they have extras, they'll give them to you. Otherwise, it's a lucky gamble between you and your scheduler and which patient will come and pay for the procedures.

You will not place implants at this school. You will be offered to take a molar endo course (optional and already included in your tuition).

Thank you! Is the molar endo course limited for a specific # of students or anyone who wants to take it can? I’ve heard some schools limiting # of students in elective courses

Does UNLV have a supplemental application? Is it emailed to us after we submit AADSAS?

Yes there is, they will send it to you email. I got mine about 3 days after I submitted, on the day that AADSAS verified my application.

Did anyone else receive an email giving you a "MyUNLV" login information; The sender was "ITHelp". It looks like it wasn't from UNLV dental school but maybe the undergraduate school, but somehow I got this email and I'm wondering if others who applied here also got it.

Did anyone else receive an email giving you a "MyUNLV" login information; The sender was "ITHelp". It looks like it wasn't from UNLV dental school but maybe the undergraduate school, but somehow I got this email and I'm wondering if others who applied here also got it.

I got nothing from the MyUNLV, every email I received was either from the Dental School or the Graduate College.

I got nothing from the MyUNLV, every email I received was either from the Dental School or the Graduate College.
Weird okay thanks! It was in my spam email if that helps

It was in my spam folder as well. Doesn’t really look like much though.

Hello all!
So I got an email from UNLV a while ago (6/26) saying my application was under review, but my AADSAS status only says the application is complete... Should I not pay attention to AADSAS and just focus on the emails? Or should I email the admissions folks?

A couple of my other schools are doing this as well so I suppose this is a general question :happy:

Cheers!

Hello all!
So I got an email from UNLV a while ago (6/26) saying my application was under review, but my AADSAS status only says the application is complete... Should I not pay attention to AADSAS and just focus on the emails? Or should I email the admissions folks?

A couple of my other schools are doing this as well so I suppose this is a general question :happy:

Cheers!
Don't worry about the status page follow what the admissions emails say

Late to the party but I see that incoming 3rd and 4th years already posted so I'll do the same. 1st-->2nd year here so if you have any q's about year one I'm happy to answer!

So curious thing just happened. I was sent a couple of emails with log-in information for the student portal (different from the portal where we did our secondary applications) like my username is a student ID number. BUT when I logged in, under the admissions tab, it said there was no active application??

Coincidentally I logged into the graduate admissions portal (where I completed the secondary application), it just says my application is under review.

... I am very confused at the moment... is this some strange rejection letter? But if that is the case, why would they bother with giving me a student ID numebr?.....
Has this happened to anyone else?

So curious thing just happened. I was sent a couple of emails with log-in information for the student portal (different from the portal where we did our secondary applications) like my username is a student ID number. BUT when I logged in, under the admissions tab, it said there was no active application??

Coincidentally I logged into the graduate admissions portal (where I completed the secondary application), it just says my application is under review.

... I am very confused at the moment... is this some strange rejection letter? But if that is the case, why would they bother with giving me a student ID numebr?.....
Has this happened to anyone else?
what does your status say on the aadsas application? Mine still says application complete

what does your status say on the aadsas application? Mine still says application complete

Same! My AADSAS status still just says application complete. I know from previous email communications that their are currently reviewing it though...

I think the whole thing is just weird haha
I wonder if they just sent something out by accident? I’m not sure

Maybe I’ll give it a day and see what happens, then if nothing is cleared up I’ll email admissions and see what’s up?

Same! My AADSAS status still just says application complete. I know from previous email communications that their are currently reviewing it though...

I think the whole thing is just weird haha
I wonder if they just sent something out by accident? I’m not sure

Maybe I’ll give it a day and see what happens, then if nothing is cleared up I’ll email admissions and see what’s up?
yea.. I haven't received anything but was just curious.. still pretty early in the day if you wanted to shoot them an email to check.

yea.. I haven't received anything but was just curious.. still pretty early in the day if you wanted to shoot them an email to check.

I have the same message too, I think it’s just some weird system-wide thing where they give you a login for an undergraduate application... but I can’t imagine they would already be rejecting people outright and at the very least would update the general application.

I have the same message too, I think it’s just some weird system-wide thing where they give you a login for an undergraduate application... but I can’t imagine they would already be rejecting people outright and at the very least would update the general application.
Ahhhhh so this portal is for undergraduates that make sense a whole lot more sense

I’ll shoot them an email to confirm and I’ll let y’all know what they say!

Thanks everyone

Ahhhhh so this portal is for undergraduates that make sense a whole lot more sense

I’ll shoot them an email to confirm and I’ll let y’all know what they say!

Thanks everyone

Don’t quote me on that haha, but it was a totally separate system from the one I used to pay for and write the supplemental application

When I applied, I got my interview invitation I think around August 20th-ish, and I was part of the first Interview group

Anyone have any idea when UNLV's interview invitations or rejections will be sent out? Seems that it's taking awhile longer than other schools.

Anyone have any idea when UNLV's interview invitations or rejections will be sent out? Seems that it's taking awhile longer than other schools.
A lot of other schools haven’t sent anything either and my UNLV decision still says “application complete” so it may still be awhile...

I just got off the phone and admissions said that they're going to start interviewing late October and November...
Was beginning to question if UNLV will even be having a new dental class this year!

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Anyone else see an update on their ADEA?

Anyone else see an update on their ADEA?
My AADSAS portal says “invited for interview” now, but haven’t received an email. Also no update on the "Grad Rebel Gateway" portal

Last edited: