Washington State c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got my interview invite too! I've been refreshing for the last 20 minutes and it just came through, so they didn't all go out at once!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Hooray and congrats! I just got an interview invite email too. For those wondering, it says that details will be coming via a snail mail letter. The email just puts us out of our misery of waiting. ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
got one for OOS!! congrats to you guys and good luck to those who havent heard yet!

Reactions: 6 users
welp, didnt get one for this school either....not looking too good this round

welp, didnt get one for this school either....not looking too good this round

Don't give up! It's still veeerrry early and I'm sure there are lot of other people (including myself) still waiting to hear. And denials shouldn't mean we stop trying! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an interview 2 minutes ago! They're still coming, guys!

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder if they are going alphabetically?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats everyone! :thumbup:

Does anyone know how many OOS they normally interview? I am having trouble finding those stats

:panda:

(currently switching between refreshing SDN, email, and my portal. this is nuts)

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who just got interview invites, what tier do you think you fall into?

I think I fall in tier I for cGPA and sciGPA. My quant GRE score falls in tier I, verbal in tier II. I took the GRE twice though and did much better the second time. So if they average GRE, I would fall in tier II.

Good luck everyone!!!!

My GPA falls into tier 1, but my GRE doesn't. I wonder if that did it.

I think I'm tier 1. I have a 3.88 science gpa/last 45 gpa (I'm a post-bacc so it's all the same). My quant GRE was 158.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

My GPA falls into tier 1, but my GRE doesn't. I wonder if that did it.
My gre doesn't fall into tier 1 either but my GPA does. Hang in there.

Reactions: 1 users
My cum GPA was tier 1....didn't get an interview....:(

I just got an interview invite email for OOS 10 minutes ago!! They are still sending invites Good luck to everyone ^_^

Reactions: 7 users
If we don't get an email tonight does that mean we won't get an interview at all? Or do they send out waves of invites?

If we don't get an email tonight does that mean we won't get an interview at all? Or do they send out waves of invites?
I would imagine there's waves, because I doubt every single person will accept the interview invitation! I think someone previously said this was the case.

I was coming here to let everyone know the a few girls on Facebook had gotten e-mail invites. lol. I'm very late to this party.

Reactions: 3 users
According to last years thread, they kept sending invites out for a week, so it's all good...

If we get denied will we be notified?

Yes you will. If you aren't offered an interview, they'll send you an e-mail/letter stating as such and that they encourage you to apply next year.

Just curious, but for those who got an interview email today, what did your portal say afterward? I didn't get anything today (besides the newsletter) and my portal still says complete/under review.

Also I'm pretty sure I'm in tier II...my GRE would put me in tier I, but I think they average out between percentiles all 3 sections and my writing section's percentile will really bring it down if that's the case +pity+

Just curious, but for those who got an interview email today, what did your portal say afterward? I didn't get anything today (besides the newsletter) and my portal still says complete/under review.

I got my invite almost a month ago and my portal still says the same complete and under review thing.

My cum GPA was tier 1....didn't get an interview....:(

You may get one yet!

Also, I guess I didn't look at it very closely. I'm so used to schools only looking at Quant section of the GRE. I was Tier 1 for all 3 categories - Cum GPA, Science GPA, and GRE score, since my Verbal/Writing scores were much higher.

My portal still just says "complete and under review," even though I got the email. Some people have updated portals and some haven't, which makes me think that they just haven't finished the process yet.

Hopefully they haven't finished yet. Well...fingers crossed. And now I start my hell week before finals. Would've liked some good news as a motivational push. I'm tier 1 for GRE but not GPA.

Hopefully they haven't finished yet. Well...fingers crossed. And now I start my hell week before finals. Would've liked some good news as a motivational push. I'm tier 1 for GRE but not GPA.

OMG im going into finals too and thought the same thing....trying to figure out how to keep myself focused....if i get one more damn rejection before exams im turning my phone, computer, and email off and ill hide in my room with a tub of ice cream while trying to study

I got my invite almost a month ago and my portal still says the same complete and under review thing.
My portal still just says "complete and under review," even though I got the email. Some people have updated portals and some haven't, which makes me think that they just haven't finished the process yet.
Hm...that's weird. Ok, guess I'll stop checking my portal hoping it updates before email :D

Also, I guess I didn't look at it very closely. I'm so used to schools only looking at Quant section of the GRE. I was Tier 1 for all 3 categories - Cum GPA, Science GPA, and GRE score, since my Verbal/Writing scores were much higher.
Only quant? I was always told in undergrad that most schools look at the average or combined average of V/Q (or whichever one of those is highest), and that no one really looked at the Writing (I guess partially true since most don't seem to care, but then places like this will look at all 3 percentiles) so I didn't practice for that at all...ended up doing well on the second essay but the first one (open-ended) I did not finish in the time limit, so I got a 3.0, and this is apparently only within 15% :arghh: My Verbal is just shy of 90th, but if they really do just average all 3 then this will mess it all up...and my GPAs are firmly within tier 2, not getting me anywhere :p

Yeah mine does, too. I think the only part of your portal that changes is the updates section after an interview.

Congrats people that got interviews! I hope everyone still waiting gets good news!

Also, WSU looks at all three GRE sections. They average your percentiles for your GRE for the tier system. You also only need one of the three to be in the tier, and you're in the highest one you meet the requirement of. So you could be tier one for GRE, but tier three for everything else and would still be a tier one, etc.

So you could be tier one for GRE, but tier three for everything else and would still be a tier one, etc.

Interesting. I was trying to find this information earlier today; where did you source it?

Also, it says under the 'Admissions Criteria' page: "**Science GPA will include all physical sciences, mathematics, and biological sciences courses (see Prerequisites)". Does anyone know if the calculated Science GPA includes any/all science course you've ever taken, or rather, all the pre-requisite coursework?

From the admissions website.

Tier I >3.5 or >3.7 or >75%
Tier II 3.2-3.5 or 3.5-3.7 or 60-74%
Tier III <3.2 and <3.5 and <59%

Also fairly certain I asked them in an email last year, but can't find it now. I'm sure it helps to meet all three requirements for tier I, but you don't need all three to be in tier I.

Last edited:
It does help to meet more than one criteria. From what my adviser has told me, they rank within the tiers (so someone who meets all criteria for tier I will be ranked higher than someone with only one criteria met, even though they are both in tier I)

Reactions: 4 users
Oh! I didn't see the 'or' there before. :)

Last year the lowest GPA they invited from Idaho was just below 3.5

That's so crazy looking at the 2019 class stats! The ranges they have for everything are so unhelpful haha

right?! i was like well i fit that and that but not that soooo now what? lol uuuuuugh :wow:

I got my invite today, my portal says that my application is complete and under review at the top. But the bottom messages/updates portion updated with the same content as the email. @Devastating

Reactions: 5 users
Hi I'm new to SDN. I got accepted "early" into WSU ("early" was used in the email that I got on 11/6) as an oos and potential WICHE student. I'm going to visit on Jan 15 but if anyone can direct me to some unique personal type information on the school also that would be really nice :)

Hi I'm new to SDN. I got accepted "early" into WSU ("early" was used in the email that I got on 11/6) as an oos and potential WICHE student. I'm going to visit on Jan 15 but if anyone can direct me to some unique personal type information on the school also that would be really nice :)
Did you interview?

How did you manage this early acceptance? I didn't know WSU did that. Do you have killer stats or something?