Western c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, family members were there the entire 6 hours. Interview candidates are divided into groups and you sit at any table you like with your family member. Then they call groups up to interview. You can be with your family member the whole time except for during your actual interview time, where you are alone with the interviewers and if you signed up for the mock PBL. When you aren't interviewing, you are talking with current students, having snacks, touring, etc. but your family member can just hang out with the people who are waiting while you are gone for 30min.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the email a little bit ago. No dice for me this time around. But there's six more to hear from for me

Got the email a little bit ago. No dice for me this time around. But there's six more to hear from for me
Just saw this. I'm sorry you didn't get an invite. :( I just want everyone to be happy!! Good luck with your other schools!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just saw this. I'm sorry you didn't get an invite. :( I just want everyone to be happy!! Good luck with your other schools!!
I got the invitation invite Tuesday and have my interview the 16 as well..I'm nervous, it's hard to remember specific situations to respond

I got the invitation invite Tuesday and have my interview the 16 as well..I'm nervous, it's hard to remember specific situations to respond
I'm super nervous too! It's my first interview (only interview so far) and Western is one of my top choices, so I really don't want to mess up! I am scared I will totally blank on questions they will ask :\

I'm super nervous too! It's my first interview (only interview so far) and Western is one of my top choices, so I really don't want to mess up! I am scared I will totally blank on questions they will ask :\

You really won't! Do not be afraid to ask them to repeat the question, take a pause while you think of a good answer and collect your thoughts. Be yourself. You already know the answers to their questions. All they are asking about are your personal experiences.

You really won't! Do not be afraid to ask them to repeat the question, take a pause while you think of a good answer and collect your thoughts. Be yourself. You already know the answers to their questions. All they are asking about are your personal experiences.
Thanks!!! I'm more worried about not having the personal experience to talk about. Like if they asked me to describe a time I didn't meet a deadline (just made that one up), I wouldn't know what to say cause I always meet my deadlines.... Maybe I'm just overthinking this too much! :smack:

Thanks!!! I'm more worried about not having the personal experience to talk about. Like if they asked me to describe a time I didn't meet a deadline (just made that one up), I wouldn't know what to say cause I always meet my deadlines.... Maybe I'm just overthinking this too much! :smack:
Dont be afraid to take your time. I even asked them to repeat the question so that it would buy me some time and they'd explain it more fully. You'll do great! All of us on our day were like we stressed way too much about that. I know it's hard not to when you don't know what to expect.

Do any current students know if what you guys observe during the interview day will affect a students chances of being accepted? It sounds kind of weird but I don't know how to word it.
What? As far as I'm aware, every interviewer observes the same things. You do your mock PBL session, you do some talk on loans, some feel-good talk about the school, etc.

Dont be afraid to take your time. I even asked them to repeat the question so that it would buy me some time and they'd explain it more fully. You'll do great! All of us on our day were like we stressed way too much about that. I know it's hard not to when you don't know what to expect.
Ahh thanks so much katashark!!! :biglove:I honestly feel much better in preparing and going into my interview on Monday! I don't know what I would be doing without this forum, probably be doing a lot of this :bang:.

What? As far as I'm aware, every interviewer observes the same things. You do your mock PBL session, you do some talk on loans, some feel-good talk about the school, etc.
I think Cocobear88 may mean if someone wasn't on their best behavior or maybe a family member wasn't (after the interview), would that negatively affect their chances? Like would the organizers make a note of something like that and have it somehow get back to the admission committee.

I think Cocobear88 may mean if someone wasn't on their best behavior or maybe a family member wasn't (after the interview), would that negatively affect their chances? Like would the organizers make a note of something like that and have it somehow get back to the admission committee.
Yes.

[edit] Reread the post and realized I misinterpreted it. If I, as a random student, observed something off? Probably not. But as far as random professors or people on the ad com observing something not technically during interview time? Absolutely. I remember seeing the tour last year while I was in PBL and there was some guy (not an interviewee) walking around in a wife beater, denim shorts, and a baseball cap and we all spoke about how ridiculous it was to show up like that to a professional school interview whether or not you were the one interviewing.

good luck folks...it is an INCREDIBLY long day...(at least it felt like it).....if i could give advice to the girls its bring another pair of shoes....theres lots of walking around besides your interview and being in heels all day HURTS......and you also get lunch/dinner at the end :) so thats nice. :highfive:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had completely forgot about this website until a friend who interviewed asked for advice and I told them to visit this website. I am a current first year at WesternU and I am more than willing to answer any questions that you guys might have. Feel free to send me a message. Good Luck EVERYONE!

I had completely forgot about this website until a friend who interviewed asked for advice and I told them to visit this website. I am a current first year at WesternU and I am more than willing to answer any questions that you guys might have. Feel free to send me a message. Good Luck EVERYONE!

Hi! I do have a question. I am very hesitant to go to a school without a teaching hospital (UC Davis undergrad). What is your take on the lack of a large teaching facility on the premises?

@Cemc005 So, We have a clinic on campus where we have clinical skills scheduled during the block and when we are there, we get to perform simple tasks as a first year. For example, during my past rotation through the pet health center, I did a physical exam, administered vaccines and pulled blood. Mind you, I was an tech at an emergency animal hospital for 3 years before vet school. We also have a mobile spay and neuter clinic that services the surrounding area. We do clinical skills rotations on there too. We get to talk with clients as they are dropping off their pets for the procedures and we get to perform their physical exams. I cannot speak on the amount of hands on experience that first years at other vet schools are allowed. I will say that I was performing a physical exam my third week of vet school at WesternU. We also have a lot of opportunities to volunteer with spay and neuter clinics on the weekends though our various clubs on campus.

Hi! I do have a question. I am very hesitant to go to a school without a teaching hospital (UC Davis undergrad). What is your take on the lack of a large teaching facility on the premises?
Third year here. I'm on clinics, so I may be a little more qualified to answer although @Santelio91 is pretty well-informed for a first year. I don't think it makes a huge difference, to be honest. I think you'll get what you need out of vet school as long as you're determined and motivated enough. There are pros and cons to both sides of this equation and you ultimately get to decide what's most important to you. People with a teaching hospital may develop closer relationships with their clinicians due to the amount of time spent at the VMTH. I feel like I may be exposed to more than people with a VMTH, although there are certainly some at a traditional school that will be exposed to loads more than I will. I'd hazard a guess that I scrub in on more surgeries and see more of the actual surgery because I don't have to battle with interns, residents, senior vet students, etc but I may perform a more limited variety of surgeries by the time I graduate. I think that members of my class may come out with a greater appreciation for our clients' wallets as well as a realistic view of how much a work up and treatment costs and how to prioritize diagnostic testing.

I'm generalizing with all of these statements, of course, and I encourage vet students from any other school to chime in and let me know what they think. Regardless, I think that all (well, most ;) ) of us current vet students can agree that if you will get the same thing from most accredited vet schools. You will receive a quality education at any accredited facility, and you will walk out with the same degree that anyone else gets. The biggest advice I can give you is to go to the cheapest school you're accepted to. I did not, obviously, go to the cheapest school I was accepted to and I'm at the point where my loans terrify me. They're a fact of life and I was extremely educated coming into this situation but I will be paying loans for a very long time and watching this number balloon has not been fun.

Received my decision yesterday, it's a no for me. I have to admit, I'm disappointed because I thought the interview went really well.

Received my decision yesterday, it's a no for me. I have to admit, I'm disappointed because I thought the interview went really well.

When did you interview? I thought decisions weren't being sent until Dec 18th

I'm sorry you didn't get in :(

So sorry to hear. Keep your head up! I think its really odd that they contacted you so soon.

im really surprised rejection letters got sent out so soon......was it email? I know Karen Lopez said we would hear by the 18th but i didnt think she meant like in a few weeks.

im really surprised rejection letters got sent out so soon......was it email? I know Karen Lopez said we would hear by the 18th but i didnt think she meant like in a few weeks.
I didn't think we'd be hearing back so soon either. She said that any rejections and acceptances will be emailed.

thanks! i applied to so many schools i have no idea who is informing students via email, portal, mail, telegraph, pigeon.....

I emailed admissions and was told that decisions have not been made yet and she didn't know why I received the email but she would look into it. Maybe there is still hope.

I emailed admissions and was told that decisions have not been made yet and she didn't know why I received the email but she would look into it. Maybe there is still hope.
Sounds like there is definitely still hope! How stressful for you. I wonder how that mistake happened...do you think there's anyway you are missing any pre-reqs or requirements of the school? I'm so sorry! I hope there is good news coming for you.

I was looking through the c/o 2019 thread and it seems like everyone who was interviewed was offered a spot OR waitlisted. There were around 160 offers and 180 put on the waitlist. The previous applicants posted that anyone who "passed" the interview was put into a pile for the dean to hand pick who was waitlisted or accepted. That makes it seem like it's hard to "fail" the interview. Quite a few people were called off of the waitlist. This makes me feel better!

Of course this is coming from posts I read, not directly from the school, so use caution when reading the above information :)

I also received a rejection email. I could see how it was a mistake as it says to look at the competitive stats page to determine how to strengthen my application but during the interview they told us that everyone already meets the qualifications to be in vet school and is competitive.

Sounds like there is definitely still hope! How stressful for you. I wonder how that mistake happened...do you think there's anyway you are missing any pre-reqs or requirements of the school? I'm so sorry! I hope there is good news coming for you.

I was looking through the c/o 2019 thread and it seems like everyone who was interviewed was offered a spot OR waitlisted. There were around 160 offers and 180 put on the waitlist. The previous applicants posted that anyone who "passed" the interview was put into a pile for the dean to hand pick who was waitlisted or accepted. That makes it seem like it's hard to "fail" the interview. Quite a few people were called off of the waitlist. This makes me feel better!

Of course this is coming from posts I read, not directly from the school, so use caution when reading the above information :)
Does anyone know how many interviews were granted for this cycle?

They told us 300 people were interviewed and the 2016 class will be 105.

They
They told us 300 people were interviewed and the 2016 class will be 105.
they told us the final interview count was around 350 and 105 people will be accepted. They had around 600 applicants total so it was lower than normal

Getting a rejection letter that wasn't supposed to be sent out REALLY sucks....someone's getting fired :smack:

Getting a rejection letter that wasn't supposed to be sent out REALLY sucks....someone's getting fired :smack:
I really doubt that.

What I have been told is that you get interviewed and you get thumbs up, thumbs down, or "meh" from each interviewer. Two thumbs up is generally accepted. Two thumbs down is rejected, obviously. "Meh"s go on the Dean's desk. Yes, he does handpick the class. You can definitely fail the interview, don't be fooled by that.

I really doubt that.

What I have been told is that you get interviewed and you get thumbs up, thumbs down, or "meh" from each interviewer. Two thumbs up is generally accepted. Two thumbs down is rejected, obviously. "Meh"s go on the Dean's desk. Yes, he does handpick the class. You can definitely fail the interview, don't be fooled by that.

That's a good clarification and makes more sense. Thanks!

Have you heard anything more from admissions? I emailed them last week about the rejection and Karen Lopez said she would get back to me within a week about what happened. I still haven't heard anything from her :/

Did anyone that interviewed on Nov. 14 remember their interviewers names? I'm pretty sure I was able to identify them through western's website but want to make sure it was them. Also is it too late to send out thank you notices?

Did anyone that interviewed on Nov. 14 remember their interviewers names? I'm pretty sure I was able to identify them through western's website but want to make sure it was them. Also is it too late to send out thank you notices?
3 of my interviewers gave me their cards and one didn't. I'm not sure about sending them thank you emails now. It may be too late in my opinion, but I don't think it would hurt or help your chances if you do decide to send them.

3 of my interviewers gave me their cards and one didn't. I'm not sure about sending them thank you emails now. It may be too late in my opinion, but I don't think it would hurt or help your chances if you do decide to send them.

It doesn't hurt or help your chances at all. Sending thank yous is just a personal thing showing you appreciate their time (not saying people who don't send thank yous don't appreciate it; I didn't send thank yous cause I didn't remember their names at all). As far as timing, the way I see it is that it's only awkward if you think it is, you know?

Thank you! I felt like I did horrible on the interview anyway.

Hi everyone.. So are they already sending out rejections? Or were those two that were mentioned earlier in the thread a mistake?

Hi everyone.. So are they already sending out rejections? Or were those two that were mentioned earlier in the thread a mistake?
I received one of the rejection letters and emailed Karen about it. She said it was a mistake and she's not sure why I got it but she would look into it and get back to me within a week.... It's been a week and a half now and I still haven't heard anything so I guess they're still deciding.

I received one of the rejection letters and emailed Karen about it. She said it was a mistake and she's not sure why I got it but she would look into it and get back to me within a week.... It's been a week and a half now and I still haven't heard anything so I guess they're still deciding.

That's so strange. I hope she explains to you why that happened.

Still haven't heard anything about the rejection letters sent by mistake. Does anyone have any information? Has anyone been accepted yet?

17 days until we know. Atleast I have hell week and finals week to distract me for now LOL

They said not until December 18
Do you recall if they said if the latest date to hear is Dec 18, or if we would hear back ON the 18th? It'd save a lot of compulsive email checking!

Do you recall if they said if the latest date to hear is Dec 18, or if we would hear back ON the 18th? It'd save a lot of compulsive email checking!
Almost 100% she said she was sending everything out ON the 18th :)

I'm pretty sure she said something along the lines of "We are planning to send all decisions out BY our winter break" Then someone asked when that was, and she said the last day of classes was Dec 18. I was on the first day though, so maybe on later interview days she gave a different answer?