Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to those with upcoming interviews! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. Good luck to everyone going through the application process.

I am currently a second year student at Western. Let me know if anybody has any questions I can help with.

Do you recommend to take the anatomy:confused: class over the summer??

Do you recommend to take the anatomy:confused: class over the summer??

I assume you're talking about ISAC. I didn't take it, but the general consensus among friends who did is "yes." Actually, the general sentiment among people who didn't take ISAC is that they wish they could've/would've. You will lose your summer (your second to last summer break of your life), but, the 1st semester will be more relaxed.

There's a lot to adjust to when you get to medical school. I know, looking back, that I would've appreciated the space to breathe and opportunity to focus on fewer courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete 9/9 and I am told that only now is my application in the hand of the second committee member to see if I am going to be granted an interview. This is one of my top choices and I wanted to know what my chances are.

Stats- 3.38 gpa, 29M, a lot of ec.

The admission committee meets tonight. Dun dun dun...!

I assume you're talking about ISAC. I didn't take it, but the general consensus among friends who did is "yes." Actually, the general sentiment among people who didn't take ISAC is that they wish they could've/would've. You will lose your summer (your second to last summer break of your life), but, the 1st semester will be more relaxed.

There's a lot to adjust to when you get to medical school. I know, looking back, that I would've appreciated the space to breathe and opportunity to focus on fewer courses.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have heard many different opinions on this. Some say to enjoy your summer and others say to take the course. How intense is the summer course? Do we necessarily give up our summer?

Also, how much will it depend on a persons situation? Is it more recommended for someone who has been out of school for a few years vs someone who took anatomy one year ago?

Any info helps =)

How long do COMP students have to prepare for step 1?

I have decided to withdraw my application since I will not be attending here even if I get accepted. I had an interview for December 10th so I'll withdraw tomorrow around noon mountain time in case anybody was curious, there might be an earlier spot opening up!

If I live in Diamond Bar, how far will I spend on commuting? and how bad is the traffic from diamond bar to western?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have heard many different opinions on this. Some say to enjoy your summer and others say to take the course. How intense is the summer course? Do we necessarily give up our summer?

Also, how much will it depend on a persons situation? Is it more recommended for someone who has been out of school for a few years vs someone who took anatomy one year ago?

Any info helps =)

I can't comment on how intense the summer course is or how someone who has been out of school for a while will be able to handle it since I didn't actually take it. If you're really concerned about it, PM me and I'll try to track down someone who did ISAC to answer your questions.

As far as the summer thing goes, I think it's different for everybody. If you decide to do ISAC, you have to commit to it on a personal level. I don't think it's smart to walk into medical school feeling like you just want to scrape by. If that, to you, sounds like it's going to keep you from doing the things you want to do, then I would say that it definitely would result in you "losing the summer." The thing I've learned since coming to medical school is that, really, everyone has their own priorities. If you want to make that last hurrah and hike the PCT for two months, then by all means - do it and come back better for it. Want to travel? Go for it! Perhaps it will become a treasured memory and valued experience. On the other hand if medical school is your biggest priority, maybe jumping into ISAC will be a wonderful opportunity. I know that's a flaky answer, but I think it's the best one I can come up with.

The only thing I'd advise you DON'T do is to sit at home, independent of ISAC, and buy a ton of medical school textbooks for independent study. Why not?
1) More than likely, you won't know what to read or focus on. First Aid is a good review for the Boards, but nobody said that classes have to follow First Aid.
2) It is extremely unlikely that the average student will independently push themselves hard enough to get very far. The amount of material covered in medical school is incredible.
3) The average person will probably forget what they studied by the time school comes around, anyway.

deponds on where in Dimond Bar?? if you are on the Boarder of Dimond Bar and Phillips Ranch then its no more than 5 miles to school??

Am I the only one that's anxiously waiting for mail this week? :luck::xf:::(

Members don't see this ad :)
you are way ahead of me. I'm still preparing for my interview. Good luck

Any more Dec 10th interviews out there? pm me to meet up

Hey guys, I'm new to the DO scene, so please pardon my ignorance: Do you think it's still worthwhile to submit a primary here?

Good luck to all.

I am too. I interviewed on 11/5. but i doubt they will get through all of them by one meeting~

I also interviewed on 11/5. They'd better get through everyone because they promised us two weeks! lol

I am too. I interviewed on 11/5. but i doubt they will get through all of them by one meeting~

you are way ahead of me. I'm still preparing for my interview. Good luck

Any more Dec 10th interviews out there? pm me to meet up

Thank you!

Interview day was really fun and low stress for me. Hope you have a good time comes Dec 10th!!

Hey guys, I'm new to the DO scene, so please pardon my ignorance: Do you think it's still worthwhile to submit a primary here?

Good luck to all.

Not for DO I don't think you are late. Just out of curiosity, I submitted my primary early February last year and still received a secondary a week or two later. I didn't complete my secondary then because I didn't have everything ready. Western screened their apps too so it wasn't an automatic thing to simply get your money.

Not for DO I don't think you are late. Just out of curiosity, I submitted my primary early February last year and still received a secondary a week or two later. I didn't complete my secondary then because I didn't have everything ready. Western screened their apps too so it wasn't an automatic thing to simply get your money.

By last year I meant last cycle... Feb 2011... Oops

I also interviewed on 11/5. They'd better get through everyone because they promised us two weeks! lol

I think I recognized you if the pic in your profile is real you. From the forum it seems Western usually takes 3 weeks to get back to you. I hope I can hear from them soon too!!

I think I recognized you if the pic in your profile is real you. From the forum it seems Western usually takes 3 weeks to get back to you. I hope I can hear from them soon too!!

Well I definitely cannot recognize you LOL. It's me. Why would I put a picture of a random Asian chick online? :)

I interviewed on 11/3 and am hoping to hear back before Thanksgiving. Hopefully they'll get to them so we can be extra thankful before the break! :D

Well I definitely cannot recognize you LOL. It's me. Why would I put a picture of a random Asian chick online? :)

To confuse the serial killers?

P.S. Thanks for the response. I decided to wait the year out, retake my MCAT, and simultaneously reapply to both DO & MD next year.

Am I the only one that's anxiously waiting for mail this week? :luck::xf:::(

I called admissions last week and they said that all decisions for the 11/5 interview have been made. Robin said that the dean has to sign off on all the decisions and that's where the hold up occurs. But she also said that our statuses should change sometime this week!! ahhhhh!!:scared:

To confuse the serial killers?

P.S. Thanks for the response. I decided to wait the year out, retake my MCAT, and simultaneously reapply to both DO & MD next year.

You're welcome. That's what I did, too. I figured there is a whole lifetime to be a doctor, a year off wouldn't be a big deal. Live a little. :):thumbup:

I called admissions last week and they said that all decisions for the 11/5 interview have been made. Robin said that the dean has to sign off on all the decisions and that's where the hold up occurs. But she also said that our statuses should change sometime this week!! ahhhhh!!:scared:

I feel you. I want to know to get it over with. But I also Don't want to know. What if it's a rejection? Hahaha. No status change yet as of right now, though.

I feel you. I want to know to get it over with. But I also Don't want to know. What if it's a rejection? Hahaha. No status change yet as of right now, though.

omg i can't believe they are so fast this time. I am getting sweaty now! What a news in the early morning!

I think they're fast because the decision is easy: ACCEPT ALL!!

I REALLY hope that will happen. I literally refresh the page every second. do they really update the status online tho?

I REALLY hope that will happen. I literally refresh the page every second. do they really update the status online tho?

I'm not sure. Mine has always been Materials Received. I've always been under the impression that it's snail mail. I'm out of town tomorrow and Friday. Cannot.stalk.mail person. :(

so weird I just called Robin and she said decision for 11/5 interview haven't been made yet and the admission committee will meet tomorrow. I think I will just wait patiently for the mail. :scared:

omg i can't believe they are so fast this time. I am getting sweaty now! What a news in the early morning!

so weird I just called Robin and she said decision for 11/5 interview haven't been made yet and the admission committee will meet tomorrow. I think I will just wait patiently for the mail. :scared:

So I just called Ana, and she told me that some of the decisions have been made and not others, I asked her about my file specifically and she said mine had been reviewed last week and my letter would go out today or tomorrow.

Weird! I guess you have to call individually and ask!

also, she said our statuses would not change

so sorry for the misinformation (I feel like I just gave a bunch of people heart attacks), but that is what robin told me when I called last week!

So I just called Ana, and she told me that some of the decisions have been made and not others, I asked her about my file specifically and she said mine had been reviewed last week and my letter would go out today or tomorrow.

sorry for the misinformation (I feel like I just gave a bunch of people heart attacks), but that is what robin told me when I called last week!

no problem haha. I actually called Ana too and she said my letter "MIGHT" go out this week. I will expect the next week then. man I hate this feeling.

and good luck to you! hope to hear good news from you :)

also, she said our statuses would not change

so sorry for the misinformation (I feel like I just gave a bunch of people heart attacks), but that is what robin told me when I called last week!

So I called Ana too. LOL.

Mine's been made and letter is going out soon.

Then she said, "Hang in there. You should get some good news."

What does that mean? I'm afraid to get my hopes up too high. It's killin' me. I think I'm going to watch Modern Family to destress.

So I called Ana too. LOL.

Mine's been made and letter is going out soon.

Then she said, "Hang in there. You should get some good news."

What does that mean? I'm afraid to get my hopes up too high. It's killin' me. I think I'm going to watch Modern Family to destress.

wow that implies you are accepted. Ana didn't say that to me so you definitely are getting in!!

wow that implies you are accepted. Ana didn't say that to me so you definitely are getting in!!

Maybe. Maybe waitlisted. We will see! Were you in my group? I was Red. Haha

secondary sent 8/31, interview invite 9/8, interviewed 11/3, letter of acceptance dated yesterday (received it today!)

secondary sent 8/31, interview invite 9/8, interviewed 11/3, letter of acceptance dated yesterday (received it today!)

I interviewed the same day. I hope that means I get mine today...can't wait to get home now! AHHH!

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!! Sped home and tore that sucker open! Made my DAY!!! :D :D :D :D :D

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!! Sped home and tore that sucker open! Made my DAY!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Congratulations guys!

So, it was a small envelope, but a small and thick envelope. I knew before I opened it. Yay!!

Some of you are probably still waiting from other schools. But please free to join the Western COMP class 2016 in facebook : )

Congrats!

AHHHH!!! ACCEPTED!!!!!!

Interviewed 11/5 received today!

congrats everyone!!!!

:rofl: