Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think a letter from a doctor is required? I didn't have a DO so I sent in one from an MD.
When did you get asked for an interview after you submitted your secondary. I'm afraid my late DO letter might delay any reply because I submitted my secondary Nov 9.

Members don't see this ad.

same here ... haven't heard anything yet...Hopefully we will hear soon!

For the people that faxed other acceptances for the 11/19 interview... we find out potentially today or tomorrow. The Dean is back from vacation :)! So nervous!

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people that faxed other acceptances for the 11/19 interview... we find out potentially today or tomorrow. The Dean is back from vacation :)! So nervous!

Thanks for the update!!!! Now I'm super nervous/anxious. I have been having dreams about the phone call for a week now, all with different situations happening haha :eek:

Has anyone been offered a scholarship yet? I just got offered a Merit scholarship from LECOM-Erie, and I'm wondering if WesternU gives out scholarships as well.

Has anyone been offered a scholarship yet? I just got offered a Merit scholarship from LECOM-Erie, and I'm wondering if WesternU gives out scholarships as well.

yeah according to aacom, the average scholarship is 10k. I have only seen one person post that they received one.

yeah according to aacom, the average scholarship is 10k. I have only seen one person post that they received one.

Thank you. The scholarship from LECOM is giving me a hard time deciding whether I should attend COMP or LECOM. I would save a lot of money (100k+) if I went to LECOM with that scholarship.

But WesternU is still my first choice as of now. I'm just wondering if they can offer me any scholarship since moving from the East Coast to California itself costs a lot of money for me.

Thank you. The scholarship from LECOM is giving me a hard time deciding whether I should attend COMP or LECOM. I would save a lot of money (100k+) if I went to LECOM with that scholarship.

But WesternU is still my first choice as of now. I'm just wondering if they can offer me any scholarship since moving from the East Coast to California itself costs a lot of money for me.

IMO, 100k is a HUGE reason to select one school over another. Perhaps you can let COMP know that they offered you a scholarship. Maybe they will offer you one also?

IMO, 100k is a HUGE reason to select one school over another. Perhaps you can let COMP know that they offered you a scholarship. Maybe they will offer you one also?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Once you get multiple acceptances, go to the cheapest school possible. Debt sucks big time. I'd suck it up and go to a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choice if it meant I'd save a boatload of money. Who even knows how physician salary and reimbursements will play out in the future.

Once you get multiple acceptances, go to the cheapest school possible. Debt sucks big time. I'd suck it up and go to a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th choice if it meant I'd save a boatload of money. Who even knows how physician salary and reimbursements will play out in the future.

Both choices I'm "stuck" with are comparable in price. :scared: :cry: +pity+

So I called them today, and they said they offer scholarships to students starting the second semester of the first year. Ahhh decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed on 11/19 heard back yet?

I believe the admissions committee meets today...so the people who interviewed on 12/1 (and/others I suppose) should find out in a few days maybe.

Anyone with a pending acceptance who sent their letter in might find out later today w/ a phone call I guess? Anyone else in the same boat?

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interviewed 11/19

KEVIN GARNETT!!

ANYTHING IS POSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIBLE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcz_kDCBTBk

cGPA 3.41
sciGPA 3.09
MCAT took it 3 times!!!!!!!!!! 27P

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF EC!

Heart and determination can get you into medical school!

Last edited:
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interviewed 11/19

KEVIN GARNETT!!

ANYTHING IS POSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSIBLE!

cGPA 3.41
sciGPA 3.09
MCAT took it 3 times!!!!!!!!!! 27P

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF EC!

Heart and determination can get you into medical school!

Congrats! Did they call you?

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta make some decisions in 5 days! But definitely a good position to be in.

BTW, I interviewed on 12/1

Congrats! Have you called or emailed yet to schedule? If so which dates did they say were available?

Saturday, January 28th is the date of my interview. We scheduled it over the phone when they called me. They said that was the earliest they had though I'm OOS and I think they schedule us farther ahead than in-staters.

Saturday, January 28th is the date of my interview. We scheduled it over the phone when they called me. They said that was the earliest they had though I'm OOS and I think they schedule us farther ahead than in-staters.

Hey! Me too- I asked if they had a Saturday available and got the 28th but I was starting to wonder if I should miss work in order to interview earlier in January. If they told you the 28th was the earliest though then I guess that works. I'm in state...

Probably see you there! :luck:

Received snail mail acceptance today, interviewed 11/19, letter dated 12/9

sorry if this was already asked in the thread, but there are a lot of pages to scroll through and maybe i missed it.

anywho... what is the deposit that has to be put down at this school to secure a spot? how long do you have to decide? and is it refundable or non-refundable?? thanks!

Just hand delivered my deposit check. Usually I'd be more remoresful over parting with that sum of money but not today :thumbup:

Hey! Me too- I asked if they had a Saturday available and got the 28th but I was starting to wonder if I should miss work in order to interview earlier in January. If they told you the 28th was the earliest though then I guess that works. I'm in state...

Probably see you there! :luck:

Awesome, see you both there on the 28th!

FYI... I've signed up for ISAC, but I never took anatomy. I did take physiology. That course, along with my somewhat high sciGPA and good MCAT score qualified me to sign up for the class.

There are spots available, so if you're interested email Dr. Kuehn and he will respond with more information.

In case you want to know...
8 week course : June 18 - Aug 3
The course is included in the tuition. You're basically just spending more money on rent and food , etc.
Must get a 70% or higher to pass the class, or you will have to retake it in the fall.

Does anyone know if the committee go through the interviews for Dec 10? I know they go on vacation today so I'm just wondering if I should be tackling the mailman the next few days. :laugh:

they met yesterday for the december 10th interview. :)

Accepted!!! Interviewed 12/10 as well. Congrats to everyone accepted. Is there already a facebook page?

My acceptance deposit is due on jan 1 as indicated on the letter. Which is a sunday...I called today and the office is closed until jan 2 mon. If I mail it now, does it count as being late? I'm really worried, I didn't know they would be closed already....:(!! Does anyone know?
Thanks

Does anybody know how filled the seats are looking right now? My interview's not til late Jan. Thanks.

Last edited:
My acceptance deposit is due on jan 1 as indicated on the letter. Which is a sunday...I called today and the office is closed until jan 2 mon. If I mail it now, does it count as being late? I'm really worried, I didn't know they would be closed already....:(!! Does anyone know?
Thanks

I'm on the same boat. I received my letter last week and I called today, but as you mentioned they will be closed until Jan 2nd. I assume that they won't be that cruel and decline our offer because it's not really our fault. Are you going to send it in or wait till Jan 2nd and call them? I'm going to send the deposit in now just to be safe..

Yeah, I don't think they'll be mean about it. But I'm not gonna risk it and send it sometime this week. I msged someone who was in the same situation last yr, still waiting to hear back. U should prob call on jan 2 to see if they got ur check and to see if ur ok :/

Yeah, I don't think they'll be mean about it. But I'm not gonna risk it and send it sometime this week. I msged someone who was in the same situation last yr, still waiting to hear back. U should prob call on jan 2 to see if they got ur check and to see if ur ok :/

I agree. I would send it certified so that you have a receipt showing that it was sent in before Jan 1st (prob costs less than a dollar). Small price to pay compared to the $1000 deposit lol. I highly doubt that they will take your spot away for not sending in a deposit during their break. But I won't take a chance.

Thanks for the info. I just read the letter again. So we have make the $1000 deposit payable to Western University of Health Sciences. And it says to send it to the "Enrollment Data Services Office" before Jan 1st. Does anyone know their address or did you guys send it to the Admissions Office (309 E. Second St, Pomona, CA 91766).

I'm on the same boat. I received my letter last week and I called today, but as you mentioned they will be closed until Jan 2nd. I assume that they won't be that cruel and decline our offer because it's not really our fault. Are you going to send it in or wait till Jan 2nd and call them? I'm going to send the deposit in now just to be safe..

You guys will definitely be fine sending your deposit in now- get some sort of proof that you mailed it (certify the mail or delivery confirmation). Schools put a lot of time and resources into choosing their incoming class...they want you to matriculate and aren't looking for little ways to exclude you.

Mail it in, enjoy your acceptance and relax...now's the time ;)

Does anyone else have trouble logging into their e-mail accounts? For some reason it keeps telling me my username and password is incorrect... but i checked so many times i was following the directions and i cant figure out what i'm doing wrong. so that makes me wonder...does it only work AFTER we pay our deposit?

Last edited:
Does anyone else have trouble logging into their e-mail accounts? For some reason it keeps telling me my username and password is incorrect... but i checked so many times i was following the directions and i cant figure out what i'm doing wrong. so that makes me wonder...does it only work AFTER we pay our deposit?

No, I haven't sent my deposit in but I created my email account. Are you adding the "!" at the end? That is actually part of the temp password.

No, I haven't sent my deposit in but I created my email account. Are you adding the "!" at the end? That is actually part of the temp password.
Yeah, did that... Still doesn't work. I guess I have to call in jan