Western COMP vs AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leafs2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I know it is super late in the game but I still haven't picked which school I am going to. I've done the admin stuff for both schools though but still need to decide where to go and I am extremely confused so I am looking for some input.

Location: I strongly prefer the southern california location since I have always grown up in a big city (I'm from neither socal or arizona) and for some reason I have always wanted to go to LA. However, even if I go to azcom I am doing my rotations in LA so now western only has a slight advantage when it comes to location.

matchlist: I think AZCOM's match is very strong compared to western (which didn't seem that good this year) especially in the past couple of years. What do you guys think and how important is this? I know it depends on yourself, board scores, etc and at this point I am not sure what specialty I want to pursue but I feel that if people are matching into a variety competitive specialties at some pretty big institutions from azcom then this school will give me more options in the future.

research opportunities: I am not too sure which school would provide better options..can others provide more input?

rotations: Again, I am not too sure of which school has the edge on this and would appreciate some input.

board scores: From my interview I remember that AZCOM had an average USMLE score of about 220 and ranked pretty well in the complex compared to other DO schools. I am not sure about Western though, do you guys know how Western does on boards?

Cost: The cost for me will likely be the same since the cheaper tuition cost at western will be balanced by larger cost of living at western.

personal fit: judging from the student body at my interview, I fit in more with the students at western and they seemed more like-minded so in this I give the edge to western.

curriculum: I like the idea of a systems-based curriculum at western but quite a few students at western said they just stopped going to class. This kind of worried me a little and I couldn't tell if this was because the recorded lectures just made them lazy or because the professors aren't that great. The basic traditional curriculum at azcom didn't intrigue me as much but it seemed as though a lot of students went to class which was a good sign (however them not recording lectures is a downer)

As you can tell, I am really all over the place and have many mixed feelings. At the end of the day I want to go to the school that will help make me as competitive as possible for residency. Input is appreciated and thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Western :D Cost of living won't be bad if you have roommates. Both are great schools and matching into a good residency depends on the individual. You said yourself you feel like you would fit in more at Western so go with your gut! Western does record lectures making it easier for students who do not wish to attend lectures every day.

Thanks dude! i know what you mean but the problem is my gut feeling keeps changing lol I can't get over azcom's matchlist though which is probably one of the best DO ones I've seen...anyone else have some thoughts?

Thanks dude! i know what you mean but the problem is my gut feeling keeps changing lol I can't get over azcom's matchlist though which is probably one of the best DO ones I've seen...anyone else have some thoughts?

I don't know anything about COMP but I am familiar with AZCOM since I spent many years living near it. It's a strong school that is going to prepare you very well to rock your boards. It doesn't have any clever curriculum education and its environment just seemed a little "stiff" to me but that's probably just a personal feel. I give AZCOM many props for really supporting and sometimes even pushing for their students to take and do well on the USMLE and ACGME match. Many DO programs are not that way; AZCOM takes pride in it. As for their rotations, I personally feel their (Phoenix area) rotations are sub par and will continue to struggle as the better local teaching hospitals make more room for UA expansions and Mayo's new med program. However, I don't know anyone who has come out of AZCOM's program and been completely dissatisfied, only w/ their little gripes of the unique issues of the school (and all school's have their own).

I do feel the AZCOM student body tends to attract quite a few "gunners" and I don't mean that in a bad way, just many motivated and ambitious students. I believe this is why they always have such strong matches. So in summary, I suggest you go with your gut and where you feel most comfortable. Either school will give you the tools you need to get where you want to go, the rest is up to you.

Reactions: 1 user