Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Waitlisted pre-interview :(
Sorry bud. You've got some great options for the Fall though! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Would anyone mind sharing (or PMing) me the general schedule of the interview day (e.g., sequence of events, breaks)? Much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently filling out the secondary and noticed the 6 credit requirement of behavioral science classes. Besides psychology, what kinds of courses count? Thanks in advance, hoping to submit today!

I'm currently filling out the secondary and noticed the 6 credit requirement of behavioral science classes. Besides psychology, what kinds of courses count? Thanks in advance, hoping to submit today!
Anthropology, Lifespan Development, Cultural Studies, and probably anything else that studies the human condition.

Reactions: 1 user
Anthropology, Lifespan Development, Cultural Studies, and probably anything else that studies the human condition.
Great, thank you! I have 3 credits of anthropology and will finish 3 credits of psych by Dec, so I should be good. Thanks!

The letters are being mailed out today. Time to camp next to my mailbox :)

I interviewed on 10/11 and got my letter on Friday so the letters should have been mailed last week

I interviewed on 10/11 and got my letter on Friday so the letters should have been mailed last week

You mean you were interviewed on 10/10? I called this morning and was told the letters have not gone out and they will be mailed out today.

Were you accepted?

You mean you were interviewed on 10/10? I called this morning and was told the letters have not gone out and they will be mailed out today.

Were you accepted?

Interviewed 10/10, sorry I'm bad with dates.

And yes, accepted!

Dated 10/18. I'm in Chicago area
Thank you for the response.

You must have some great stats and made a hell of an impression. I am still awaiting the letter and I live 20 miles away.

Anyways, congratulations on your acceptance:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Western accepts AP physics credit for the physics req?

Does anyone know if Western accepts AP physics credit for the physics req?
http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/faqs-12/ (click the middle tab that says "FAQs Prerequisite")

Question 9: Do you accept College Level Equivalency Program or Advanced Placement credits?
Yes. We accept College Level Equivalency Program (CLEP) and Advanced Placement (AP) credit as long as the course credits are specified on the transcript and are class specific. The view requirements page will provide you with additional detail regarding requirements.

Hope this helps, senor.

Preemptive congrats to Ibn!

Reactions: 2 users
http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/faqs-12/ (click the middle tab that says "FAQs Prerequisite")

Question 9: Do you accept College Level Equivalency Program or Advanced Placement credits?
Yes. We accept College Level Equivalency Program (CLEP) and Advanced Placement (AP) credit as long as the course credits are specified on the transcript and are class specific. The view requirements page will provide you with additional detail regarding requirements.

Hope this helps, senorita. ;)
Omg you are amazing. Thanks. <3

Thanks God, I got accepted!!!

This is my top choice. I'm over the moon now.

Thank you everyone and especial thanks to my future classmate Back5.

Reactions: 5 users

So happy for you! I hope to be in your shoes in 2 weeks. :)
I'm nervous about my interview though; I (think) I botched a question in the traditional interview.......

So happy for you! I hope to be in your shoes in 2 weeks. :)
I'm nervous about my interview though; I (think) I botched a question in the traditional interview.......

You'll be fine. I thought I was going to be WL'ed for sure because they seemed to be concerned about my VR score. It turned out that it was a constructive criticism.

Reactions: 1 users

Good for you Ibn, congrats!

Thank you, sir. Are we going to be classmates?
Well, I am still waiting to hear back from TCOM in Fort Worth, TX (in-state students have to wait until at least Nov 15 to hear). I would save $30,000 + a year by going to TCOM. But, WesternU is my top choice otherwise, and I'd love to be your classmate. I was so excited to be accepted. I really loved the interview and the campus. Plus, I grew up my whole life in Riverside county and my parents and in-laws would be great to have nearby, especially for the children.

Any eastcoast 10/10 interviewees receive a letter? Crossing my fingers to receive one in the mail tomorrow.

Interview in a about a week, any useful tips/information? How is the interview process/staff? THANKS!

Interview in a about a week, any useful tips/information? How is the interview process/staff? THANKS!
For the regular interview, know why DO, why COMP, and why medicine; be able to name some strengths and weaknesses (and how you are working towards overcoming the weaknesses).
For the MMI, don't pretend to know stuff you don't know and be sure to demonstrate compassion.

Congrats. Now sit and enjoy the sweet taste of victory for a few months before the plunge!

Congrats to those accepted
I wish I can get an interview post the hold
And eventually be accepted... It would certainly be a dream come true...

Is COMP the blacksheep of the DO world?

Not in my book, they are one of my top DO choices. Good location, good match list, good opportunities. The students seemed happy, the staff seemed very nice and friendly. I felt very comfortable when I was at the school and I felt they could set me up to succeed. That is important to me. Even if I get an MD accept this may remain my top choice.

Not in my book, they are one of my top DO choices. Good location, good match list, good opportunities. The students seemed happy, the staff seemed very nice and friendly. I felt very comfortable when I was at the school and I felt they could set me up to succeed. That is important to me. Even if I get an MD accept this may remain my top choice.
It seems there are a number of threads (it was brought to my attention) where SDN recommends other DO schools over Western. I absolutely loved the school and I'm very excited about attending here, but I was curious if there was some sort of bias against COMP on SDN.

I've read some of them. The other DO schools dont seem to offer what I'm looking for in terms of student body population and location. And certainly not in a combination of that plus match list and test scores. The only other that would come close is Nova (please no Nova discussion here lol). So it's an easy choice for me. Some of the older complaint threads about the school's difficulty didnt seem to carry any weight or were temporal, meaning they're so old it doesnt matter now or it was only a temporary thing.

I've felt at some other schools I would probably attend, try to avoid the other students and stream/podcast as many lectures as possible. But here I felt I could happily be a part of the student body. The school is a good fit for me. Plus if I were to get stressed, I would have absolutely NO problem destressing in Southern Cali.

I've read some of them. The other DO schools dont seem to offer what I'm looking for in terms of student body population and location. And certainly not in a combination of that plus match list and test scores. The only other that would come close is Nova (please no Nova discussion here lol). So it's an easy choice for me. Some of the older complaint threads about the school's difficulty didnt seem to carry any weight or were temporal, meaning they're so old it doesnt matter now or it was only a temporary thing.

I've felt at some other schools I would probably attend, try to avoid the other students and stream/podcast as many lectures as possible. But here I felt I could happily be a part of the student body. The school is a good fit for me. Plus if I were to get stressed, I would have absolutely NO problem destressing in Southern Cali.
Completely agree! COMP is a very reputable school, and the combined area amenities will only enhance the experience. In my opinion, the tuition and cost of living are the only major drawbacks.

:( Alternate. Really liked the school, it was my first choice. Is there usually movement on the wait list?

:( Alternate. Really liked the school, it was my first choice. Is there usually movement on the wait list?
They told us they took several from the wait list last year. If I get into TCOM, maybe you would receive my seat. Stranger things happen, I'm sure. :)

Yes! A ton of movement happened this past summer. GL

Yes! A ton of movement happened this past summer. GL

I think I remember that you were accepted to WesternU last cycle. Are you a current student there?

Last edited:
In my book, Western U is THE premier DO school in California. As many know, COMP was the first DO school to arise from the ashes of the 1962 CA Medical Association-led (and CA Osteopathic Association-complicit) attempted murder of Osteopathic Medicine in the State of California. If I don't get my top choice, I will be honored to attend COMP. My only caveat has always been the price.

I echo Back5's statement. WesternU is my top choice regardless. In fact it has been my dream school for the past couple years.

That being said, I get irritated when reading posts like "

I think I remember that you were accepted to WesternU last cycle. Are you a current student there?

Yes I currently attend.

WOOHOO!!! ACCEPTED!!!

Hyperventilating here.

Interview Invite today just an hour or so ago!! EEE!!!

Received completion e-mail on 9/27 after competing secondary on 8/20 (delayed because of a snag with letters) and I'm a re-applicant for medical schools so I'm super super excited and hopeful. :D

Hyperventilating here.

Interview Invite today just an hour or so ago!! EEE!!!

Received completion e-mail on 9/27 after competing secondary on 8/20 (delayed because of a snag with letters) and I'm a re-applicant for medical schools so I'm super super excited and hopeful. :D
Got the ii an hour ago as well! Congrats! Best of luck to ya!

I echo Back5's statement. WesternU is my top choice regardless. In fact it has been my dream school for the past couple years.

That being said, I get irritated when reading posts like "

Looks like I may see you there. Got my acceptance yesterday and most likely turning down all other DO acceptances. This school is close to home/girlfriend/friends etc.

Good luck to the other western U fanatics!!! Starry comes to mind haha.