Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who already interviewed, would anyone mind sharing the typical schedule for interview day and/or tips? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone get an interview invite post HOLD so far???

Looks like I may see you there. Got my acceptance yesterday and most likely turning down all other DO acceptances. This school is close to home/girlfriend/friends etc.

Good luck to the other western U fanatics!!! Starry comes to mind haha.

Excellent!

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, I drove to the school today and paid the deposit in person. Feels great!

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who already interviewed, would anyone mind sharing the typical schedule for interview day and/or tips? thanks!

starts at about 8 am, done by 2pm
welcome and overview for about half an hour
then they break you out into groups, first group does panel interviews first, second group does mmi, i believe mmi is in a different building
afterwards there is a small break and they talk to you about financial aid, the curriculum and take you to their omm room
after that you have lunch and our 2nd year student took us on a campus tour, then we sat in on a class and that's about it

edit: i'm not doing it any justice at all, but it was a very informative and well run interview day. the class we sat in on was VERY enjoyable and the professor was there live, streaming to the oregon campus.

I found this post to be somewhat accurate and helpful:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...thread-2012-2013.912703/page-32#post-13432550

Good luck

Last edited:
Withdrew my acceptance from LECOM, so it's Western for now. I'm still waiting on a decision from Nova.

Good to see that you chose WesternU over LECOM despite their luring price tag.

I hate to break it to you bud, but if you haven't heard from Nova by now, you most likely going to be placed on the Alternate list like the other 80% of the interviewees. For your sake, I hope I turn out to be wrong, but don't keep your hopes up. I am very, very disappointed at Nova. Not that I would have gone there had I been accepted (because of WesternU), but I don't see a reason why everyone that I met there was wait listed.

WesternU is a great school. Yes, I'm very biased, but I'll say it again; WesternU is a great school!

Reactions: 1 users
Good to see that you chose WesternU over LECOM despite their luring price tag.

I hate to break it to you bud, but if you haven't heard from Nova by now, you most likely going to be placed on the Alternate list like the other 80% of the interviewees. For your sake, I hope I turn out to be wrong, but don't keep your hopes up. I am very, very disappointed at Nova. Not that I would have gone there had I been accepted (because of WesternU), but I don't see a reason why everyone that I met there was wait listed.

WesternU is a great school. Yes, I'm very biased, but I'll say it again; WesternU is a great school!

Can't go wrong with either school so I'm happy lol.

Wow, you are committed now, huh? Good job! Just one more deposit due, then.

I've been committed long before I applied. However, I've always thought WesternU was a long shot for me. I'm glad it worked out.

Yeah, one more deposit to go. Perhaps I will pay it sometime next month.

Now, I could rest my case and treasure every second I have now with my family before Fall 2014 begins.

Now, I could rest my case and treasure every second I have now with my family before Fall 2014 begins.

That's a good plan! I plan on doing the same thing! My wife and children have put up with a lot, and they deserve all the time I can give them. I hope you got to enjoy Eid Al-Adha this month with your family. I look forward to Christmas with all the family and NO studying through the holidays.

Okay, so my job allows me a lot of free time....I've been re-reading through the entire COMP thread, and have counted 18 acceptance announcements. I believe there have been four interview dates so far (9/12, 9/28, 10/10, and 10/26), with ~200 applicants interviewed. It appears we SDNers are not as well-represented among the interviewees as I would have hoped. However, the other interviewees may have not heard about SDN (I only joined in Sept), or they are far too busy to spend their time posting, which is totally understandable.
Anyway, I hope many more SDNers post their acceptances to COMP in the future. I also hope more applicants join SDN. Furthermore, I hope all of you SDNers who are still waiting to hear back from WesternU get positive news!

Accepted so far... (update if I'm mistaken or add your name, please)

NuttyEngDude
Isha2018
stila2458
Back5
speakermouse
cBlock420
ash0515
hwilliam50
jstrathe
Uh oh
danceplaylove
twinning
HH8911
brownbaglunch
rran3
r0bbaa
Ibn Alnafis MD
Anicetus
guylewis
TreadLightly
Memberover9000

:) Best of Luck to Everyone Else!!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so my job allows me a lot of free time....I've been re-reading through the entire COMP thread, and have counted 18 acceptance announcements. I believe there have been four interview dates so far (9/12, 9/28, 10/10, and 10/26), with ~200 applicants interviewed. It appears we SDNers are not as well-represented among the interviewees as I would have hoped. However, the other interviewees may have not heard about SDN (I only joined in Sept), or they are far too busy to spend their time posting, which is totally understandable.
Anyway, I hope many more SDNers post their acceptances to COMP in the future. I also hope more applicants join SDN. Furthermore, I hope all of you SDNers who are still waiting to hear back from WesternU get positive news!

Accepted so far... (update if I'm mistaken or add your name, please)

NuttyEngDude
Isha2018
stila2458
Back5
speakermouse
cBlock420
ash0515
hwilliam50
jstrathe
Uh oh
danceplaylove
twinning
HH8911
brownbaglunch
rran3
r0bbaa
Ibn Alnafis MD
Anicetus

:) Best of Luck to Everyone Else!!! :)

Great work man!

What's left now is someone to create a Facebook page for us. I have had the pleasure to meet some of the mentioned members in person (whether at my NSU interview or at WesternU) and I would love to meet the rest. I would like to have some familiar faces in my class when I start school next Fall.

Have you?
I have not. Pretty sure we have until December. I am sitting on it and seeing how things go with a couple other apps. But the neurotic side of me is saying fill those two forms out and pay pay pay in case I somehow miss the date or something silly. :p

Edit: December 15th is the deadline. I will mail mine out the week of Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
I have not. Pretty sure we have until December. I am sitting on it and seeing how things go with a couple other apps. But the neurotic side of me is saying fill those two forms out and pay pay pay in case I somehow miss the date or something silly. :p

Edit: December 15th is the deadline. I will mail mine out the week of Thanksgiving.
I worry in the same manner! I am holding out for TCOM, but I will happily invest $1000 for a deposit if it will save me a spot. In case I do get into TCOM, the $1000 spent on peace of mind will still be worth it. :)

Great work man!

What's left now is someone to create a Facebook page for us. I have had the pleasure to meet some of the mentioned members in person (whether at my NSU interview or at WesternU) and I would love to meet the rest. I would like to have some familiar faces in my class when I start school next Fall.
No problem. Thanks for all your insightful posts. I'm so old I've never even been to Facebook. I guess it will be something new and fun for me to learn how to use!

No problem. Thanks for all your insightful posts. I'm so old I've never even been to Facebook. I guess it will be something new and fun for me to learn how to use!

I would start a Facebook page, except that I don't think I'll be good at keeping up with the admin duties. We need a Facebook page people. There's a thread where everyone is posting their Facebook pages and I don't see one for WesternU!

I could make one. What should I title it?
I would start a Facebook page, except that I don't think I'll be good at keeping up with the admin duties. We need a Facebook page people. There's a thread where everyone is posting their Facebook pages and I don't see one for WesternU!

Got a call from Pomona , CA today and got all excited but it was just Charter telling me about their extraordinary internet and tv packages. Sigh

Got a call from Pomona , CA today and got all excited but it was just Charter telling me about their extraordinary internet and tv packages. Sigh
Stupid smart phones! I've had the same problem because my iPhone tells me the city and state of the caller, too.

No one has joined the facebook group yet...
sad-forever-alone-face-only-l.png

Reactions: 2 users
So, I know different schools deal with pre-interview holds differently. Does anyone have insight as to how this school handles them. Is is basically a silent rejection or a potential turnover? I just got the email today. My stats are 3.3/29. I am still volunteering at two places, so maybe I could update on that. Anyway, haven't heard from any other schools I applied to yet this cycle, so I feel a little worried about my chances overall. This is one of my top choices. I am from Northern California.

Looks like I may see you there. Got my acceptance yesterday and most likely turning down all other DO acceptances. This school is close to home/girlfriend/friends etc.

Good luck to the other western U fanatics!!! Starry comes to mind haha.
Thanks! Approximately 1 more week of waiting to learn my fate...

C'mon people. Join our Facebook page.

Starry, get accepted already so you can join us!

anyone know the statistics for those accepted at the NW campus in previous years? From what i understand they have YET to have a fourth year class graduate correct? Currently they only have a third year class?

does the school offer software @ GREATLY reduced educational discounts? Like office/ windows 7 etc for very cheap?

I interviewed a while ago but when I went, I stayed at the Comfort Inn a mile away because of the proximity. It wasn't the nicest, but seemed to be the cheapest at the time.
Same here. Nothing special, but it got the job done. If you call, they have a ~10% discount if you mention you are interviewing at Western. I know some others that stayed at the Sheraton Fairplex, a bit more $$ but nicer, closer to the Ontario airport.

Sheraton is nice, but you need to pay for WiFi -_-

First of all, congrats to the Class of 2018! I'm sure you will do us proud as you follow in our footsteps. Now get some rest and enjoy having a life while you still do. ;)

A few things to weigh in on:

Western U, as far as I'm aware, has a good reputation, and I've certainly never heard of anything like a 'black sheep' status. There are a couple of things that might create an air of negativity on SDN, though. One is that it's geographically a little isolated and doesn't have a lot of contact with other DO schools, and most DO residencies are clustered in the Midwest/Northeast, and most of the DOs I've met out here have to think for a second to remember where that is (though I've met plenty of alumni residents, too). The other thing is the administration, which had a somewhat contentious relationship with a couple of previous classes, as there were a number of changes (the new building, IPE, case-based curriculum, integration with Dental/Podiatry, transitions related to the opening of the NW campus, etc.) that were all happening at once, and more than a few people got screwed and found the administration to be pretty unresponsive. Now, personally, I'm much less angry about it than I was a year or two ago (check out my post history if you're interested), and that's probably a combination of perspective, improvements to all of those situations, and the fact that I'm not up-close and personal with it anymore. But they're over the hump on most of those, and it does sound like they're addressing those concerns, just more slowly than we all wanted. After some personnel changes in the administration, I think the culture is changing for the better as well. I'd be curious to hear some thoughts from the current second years, in particular, as that was the point where we had the most trouble.

Now for some (hopefully) shorter answers:

-I had a few classmates that didn't do the roommate thing, but it's pricey, especially if you're living in Claremont/Chino Hills/elsewhere instead of Pomona. Most people met up beforehand, either through Facebook, banweb, people they knew previously, upperclassmen, students at other colleges (Dental/Vet/whatever), or just non-med school people. FWIW, I'd only recommend living in Pomona if you like are a guy, like walking, don't mind talking to panhandlers, don't have nice stuff, have a sense of adventure, and/or just really love the sound of Banda music at all hours. XD

I have no idea what the stats are for COMP-NW students, but it is correct that they have yet to graduate a class. The first will be c/o 2015, who are currently on their third year rotations. The NW track (which includes myself) has been active for years, however, and the infrastructure for us is what the COMP-NW students will be using from here on out. Feel free to post questions in the Lebanon thread, or PM me.

I'm not aware of any software discounts through the school. If you're looking for Office, Microsoft handles that discount themselves for anyone with a .edu email address. The school will allow you to increase your financial aid by up to $1800 once during your four years to buy a new laptop, and you can include things like Office and extended warranties in that amount.

Places in Pomona have varying degrees of sketch, but they're still a decent option. I really like the Holiday Inn in Ontario, and there are a few others in the airport area that are usually available pretty cheap on Hotwire.

Good luck to those waiting on responses! It's really the worst thing ever, especially if you have deposits and such to juggle. Hang in there!

Hey guys,
I was complete since 9/23 and haven't heard from the school yet :( when do you think im gonna hear back from them? Does this mean a rejection?! Today is gonna be 6 weeks from 9/23! Should i call them?!
Thanx in advance!

First of all, congrats to the Class of 2018! I'm sure you will do us proud as you follow in our footsteps. Now get some rest and enjoy having a life while you still do. ;)

A few things to weigh in on:

Western U, as far as I'm aware, has a good reputation, and I've certainly never heard of anything like a 'black sheep' status. There are a couple of things that might create an air of negativity on SDN, though. One is that it's geographically a little isolated and doesn't have a lot of contact with other DO schools, and most DO residencies are clustered in the Midwest/Northeast, and most of the DOs I've met out here have to think for a second to remember where that is (though I've met plenty of alumni residents, too). The other thing is the administration, which had a somewhat contentious relationship with a couple of previous classes, as there were a number of changes (the new building, IPE, case-based curriculum, integration with Dental/Podiatry, transitions related to the opening of the NW campus, etc.) that were all happening at once, and more than a few people got screwed and found the administration to be pretty unresponsive. Now, personally, I'm much less angry about it than I was a year or two ago (check out my post history if you're interested), and that's probably a combination of perspective, improvements to all of those situations, and the fact that I'm not up-close and personal with it anymore. But they're over the hump on most of those, and it does sound like they're addressing those concerns, just more slowly than we all wanted. After some personnel changes in the administration, I think the culture is changing for the better as well. I'd be curious to hear some thoughts from the current second years, in particular, as that was the point where we had the most trouble.

Now for some (hopefully) shorter answers:

-I had a few classmates that didn't do the roommate thing, but it's pricey, especially if you're living in Claremont/Chino Hills/elsewhere instead of Pomona. Most people met up beforehand, either through Facebook, banweb, people they knew previously, upperclassmen, students at other colleges (Dental/Vet/whatever), or just non-med school people. FWIW, I'd only recommend living in Pomona if you like are a guy, like walking, don't mind talking to panhandlers, don't have nice stuff, have a sense of adventure, and/or just really love the sound of Banda music at all hours. XD

I have no idea what the stats are for COMP-NW students, but it is correct that they have yet to graduate a class. The first will be c/o 2015, who are currently on their third year rotations. The NW track (which includes myself) has been active for years, however, and the infrastructure for us is what the COMP-NW students will be using from here on out. Feel free to post questions in the Lebanon thread, or PM me.

I'm not aware of any software discounts through the school. If you're looking for Office, Microsoft handles that discount themselves for anyone with a .edu email address. The school will allow you to increase your financial aid by up to $1800 once during your four years to buy a new laptop, and you can include things like Office and extended warranties in that amount.

Places in Pomona have varying degrees of sketch, but they're still a decent option. I really like the Holiday Inn in Ontario, and there are a few others in the airport area that are usually available pretty cheap on Hotwire.

Good luck to those waiting on responses! It's really the worst thing ever, especially if you have deposits and such to juggle. Hang in there!

After paying the first part of the deposit, I receive an email containing my access information for Banweb. I saw the form that one could use to ask for more loans. It included things such as moving costs, laptop/computer, medical expenses and auto repair. This is great. It takes care of some things that may not be accounted for by the COA budget. Students don't have to worry about emergency costs. However, I was a little skeptical when I saw the form. Have you, or do you know of anyone who tried it and receive the requested funds?

Thanks! Approximately 1 more week of waiting to learn my fate...
Starry---You applied to TCOM, right? Would you prefer TCOM to Western or vice versa? I'm accepted to Western, but waiting to hear back from TCOM (in order to save a load of cash). I've got a wife and four kids to feed ;)

Starry---You applied to TCOM, right? Would you prefer TCOM to Western or vice versa? I'm accepted to Western, but waiting to hear back from TCOM (in order to save a load of cash). I've got a wife and four kids to feed ;)
I honestly don't know. I'm holding off on deciding until I have acceptances in hand so I don't get too attached to whatever I decide :p