Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
July 16th... so 8 days

Application Materials Received is the status still on banweb

Sorry i'm neurotic... i submitted my secondary after the 10 day "deadline" so worried they might just toss it...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry i'm neurotic... i submitted my secondary after the 10 day "deadline" so worried they might just toss it...

Ah.. dang it. I started mine right before I began the process of a huge move across the nation and wasn't able to finish it within the 10 day window. I didn't even realize it until I saw your post and looked back at the instructions. It says it will result in "delayed processing." Does anyone have any insight into this? Kicking myself...

WOHOO! top choice school! I had my AACOMAS app released on 7/10, received Westerns secondary on 7/14 and submitted on 7/21...but they messed up my LORs and JUST entered my physician one today. HOWEVER, I think you all need to stress less and be excited//patient! Especially those of you who are worried with 3.8+ and 30+ mcats. I heard OOS kids have to wait longer for secondaries than us in state kids because they pull less OOS than In-state.

Although I would be so happy with any acceptance, staying in California is my biggest goal. I'll be here staying positive with my 3.5cGPA/3.4sGPA and my 25 MCAT. I'm not the best applicant number wise but its not always about the numbers! Keep your chins up and keep pushing!

On another note, I'll be at their preview day on the 23rd. Let's meet up!

Reactions: 1 users
WOHOO! top choice school! I had my AACOMAS app released on 7/10, received Westerns secondary on 7/14 and submitted on 7/21...but they messed up my LORs and JUST entered my physician one today. HOWEVER, I think you all need to stress less and be excited//patient! Especially those of you who are worried with 3.8+ and 30+ mcats. I heard OOS kids have to wait longer for secondaries than us in state kids because they pull less OOS than In-state.

Although I would be so happy with any acceptance, staying in California is my biggest goal. I'll be here staying positive with my 3.5cGPA/3.4sGPA and my 25 MCAT. I'm not the best applicant number wise but its not always about the numbers! Keep your chins up and keep pushing!

On another note, I'll be at their preview day on the 23rd. Let's meet up!

I'm OOS and I got the secondary 7/14. It is probably in random batches like most schools.

II! 3.5c/3.6s/28 OOS

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
II! Any idea what the ratio of interviews to acceptances are? (OOS)

Reactions: 1 user
II - I AM FREAKING OUT :) (first one of the season)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the II as well! 3.8 GPA, 30 MCAT. Best of luck everyone!

I chose Sept 13th because a Saturday interview works much better with my work schedule. Anyone else going that day?

Do they send you an email when the application is complete and is sent to the admissions committee?

AHHHHHHHH!! II today!

This school is one of my top choices so I'm STOKED to be able to visit and get to know the faculty and current student body :D I got my secondary (within the 10 day recommendation) and LORs a couple days delayed and was complete around Jul. 30th.

Stats:

3.58 cGPA, 3.60 sGPA, 33 MCAT, IS applicant

Just made my day :)

What date did everyone pick? I went with August 28th

It's kind of hard to decide... have to schedule off work (I work on Saturdays too...).

AHHHHHHHH!! II today!

This school is one of my top choices so I'm STOKED to be able to visit and get to know the faculty and current student body :D I got my secondary (within the 10 day recommendation) and LORs a couple days delayed and was complete around Jul. 30th.

Stats:

3.58 cGPA, 3.60 sGPA, 33 MCAT, IS applicant

Just made my day :)

yeah.. it seriously made my day too. It feels like xmas morning!!

Just chose August 28th. See you guys there!!!

Does anyone know what time the interviews are supposed to end?

Wish the sooner interview date was on a Saturday. The 28th is the first week of classes for me and just a bit inconvenient to have to fly in from OOS. Can't imagine having the Sep 13th one would dampen my chances much though.

Does anyone know what time the interviews are supposed to end?

Quoting myself and answering my own question, in case any other dumbbells had the same question. The interview information website says to plan to be on campus until about 2PM.

So I'm growing more concerned as to why I have not received even the secondary application invitation at Pamona? I am in state, 3.7 GPA with trends towards 4.0 over the last two years, 29 MCAT ( 8 VR 10 BIO 11PS) and only received the secondary for northwestern. I submitted my AACOMAS 6/19, what do you guys think it could be? Should I contact the school? Congrats on your interview invites so far guys, but I can't help but be a bit envious -_-

So I'm growing more concerned as to why I have not received even the secondary application invitation at Pamona? I am in state, 3.7 GPA with trends towards 4.0 over the last two years, 29 MCAT ( 8 VR 10 BIO 11PS) and only received the secondary for northwestern. I submitted my AACOMAS 6/19, what do you guys think it could be? Should I contact the school? Congrats on your interview invites so far guys, but I can't help but be a bit envious -_-

You submitted AACOMAS on 6/19 as in it is getting verified right now or your application was released to COMP on 6/19?

It says on AACOMAS that my application was released on 6/19, I have gotten 11 secondaries from the 19 DO programs I applied to

Oh :eek: I would be worried then..
Mine was released on 7/24/14 and I got a secondary on 7/30/14.

Yah that's what I mean, what are your numbers, are you in state as well?

I'm a WA resident 3.8 25 MCAT so there is no doubt that you should've gotten one, I mean this is one of my reach schools with that MCAT

Could someone post the email they received saying their applicaiton was complete?

I only received a "secondary received" email, and my status on banweb says : Application Materials Received

Interview invite today! Very excited :) MCAT 30. How long did it take to be confirmed for the interview date you picked? Do they send you a conformation email? Can't wait!!!

Interview invite today! Very excited :) MCAT 30. How long did it take to be confirmed for the interview date you picked? Do they send you a conformation email? Can't wait!!!

Mind posting when you received supplement/submitted suplement/ complete supplement

~3 hours after I filled out form I received an e-mail stating what day my interview was

I received the secondary app July 10th and on July 24th my secondary was complete and July 29th it was "ready for review". My cGPA is 3.85 and my sGPA is 3.6

I contacted admissions at Pomona today about why I have yet to receive the secondary and Giselle told me was that my file was "still being reviewed." I asked why other candidates that submitted after me with stats below mine received secondaries? She said "your file is still under review and you will be contacted via email." She was not helpful at all and she seemed careless to my concerns... Seems to be the norm with the staff at Western-Pomona according to every time I have reached out to them for information.

I contacted admissions at Pomona today about why I have yet to receive the secondary and Giselle told me was that my file was "still being reviewed." I asked why other candidates that submitted after me with stats below mine received secondaries? She said "your file is still under review and you will be contacted via email." She was not helpful at all and she seemed careless to my concerns... Seems to be the norm with the staff at Western-Pomona according to every time I have reached out to them for information.

Honestly, what else can they say? Give it time, you'll get one. Though, if anything, you probably hurt yourself with this statement "I asked why other candidates that submitted after me with stats below mine received secondaries?" Though I understand your question, it comes off a little pompous.

Just relax it is only August!

You don't want to be asking the bolded in that way. You could reword it like " a friend of mine submitted his/her primary after mine but recieved his secondary before, does WesternU send secondaries by date applied or is it other factors?

I submitted CCOM and AZOM secondaries mid july, people who just submitted theirs last week are getting ii's and I still haven't. It's frustrating man, I feel you. But what can you do.

Honestly, what else can they say? Give it time, you'll get one. Though, if anything, you probably hurt yourself with this statement "I asked why other candidates that submitted after me with stats below mine received secondaries?" Though I understand your question, it comes off a little pompous.

Just relax it is only August!

I know it's still early, but how frustrating is it that she doesn't even address my question? She didn't say "we review our applications in random bunches" or anything that logically answered why I haven't received a secondary and people that have submitted 2-3 weeks after have? I never have been one to make "polite" when something does not make sense, especially when she wasn't giving me any insight as to what's going on... She could have said "this is normal for some applicants to receive secondaries sooner than others, sometimes it takes 2-3 months to receive a secondary, I wouldn't perceive this as a negative at this early of a stage in the cycle." but she didnt... careless. I mean I am fortunate to already have two interviews at this early stage of the cycle, but Western is an important school for me and probably my best shot at staying in state (though USUHS is my top choice overall) and its frustrating to feel the admissions staff is careless, and by being careless they are pushing my application to review at a later stage in the cycle and therefor negatively influencing my shot at this program.

You don't want to be asking the bolded in that way. You could reword it like " a friend of mine submitted his/her primary after mine but recieved his secondary before, does WesternU send secondaries by date applied or is it other factors?

I submitted CCOM and AZOM secondaries mid july, people who just submitted theirs last week are getting ii's and I still haven't. It's frustrating man, I feel you. But what can you do.

Being selected for an interview and receiving a secondary application are two very different occurrences in the application cycle. With on-par stats and extra-curriculars, as well as favorable state candidacy, a secondary application is almost a given unless the school screens heavily, and the schools that screen heavily will let the applicant know pre-secondary that they have not been selected for further information in the admissions process. The simple fact is that by sending out secondaries to later applicants and temporarily "skipping over" earlier applications is negligent, and inexcusable for a medical school admissions office in my opinion. Maybe it wasn't meant to be, either way WesternU has been my only source of frustration in this application cycle.

just got an email today saying I'm complete. IS/3.8/30. submitted secondary july 28th. anyone know how fast the turnaround is?

Found a recent match list if anyone's interested.

WesternU (incomplete)

Anesthesiology University of Colorado Denver, CO ACGME
Anesthesiology University of Washington Seattle, WA ACGME
Anesthesiology University of Louisville Louisville, KY ACGME
Anesthesiology Maine Medical Center Portland, ME ACGME
Anesthesiology St. Luke's Roosevelt New York, NY ACGME
Anesthesiology Suny Downstate Medical Center Brooklyn, NY ACGME

Emergency Medicine
Emergency Medicine Naval Medical Center San Diego San Diego, CA Military
Emergency Medicine ARMC Colton, CA AOA
Emergency Medicine Oakwood Medical Center Trenton/Dearborn, Michigan AOA
Emergency Medicine Lakeland Regional Medical Center St. Joseph, Michigan AOA
Emergency Medicine ARMC Colton, Ca AOA
Emergency Medicine Adena Regional Medical Center Chillicothe, OH AOA
Emergency Medicine St Barnabas Bronx, NY AOA
Emergency Medicine PBCGME Port Saint Lucie, FL AOA
Emergency Medicine Henry Ford Macomb Clinton Township, MI AOA
Emergency Medicine Good Sam West Islip, NY AOA
Emergency Medicine USC LA, CA ACGME
Emergency Medicine Wayne State Univ/Sinai Grace Detroit, MI ACGME
Emergency Medicine Texas Tech El Paso, TX ACGME
Emergency Medicine UCSF Fresno Fresno, CA ACGME
Emergency Medicine University of Nebraska Omaha, Ne ACGME
Emergency medicine University Illinois Chicago Chicago, Il ACGME
Emergency Medicine Baystate Medical Center Springfield, MA ACGME
Emergency Medicine University of Arizona ACGME
Emergency Medicine University of Mississippi Jackson, MS ACGME

Family Medicine
Family Medicine Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton Oceanside, CA Military
Family Medicine Eisenhower Army Medical Center Augusta, GA Military
Family Medicine Eisenhower Army Medical Center Augusta, GA Military
Family Medicine Bremerton Naval Hospital Bremerton, WA Military
Family Medicine Des Peres St. Louis, MO AOA
Family Medicine AKFMR/Providence Anchorage, AK AOA
Family Medicine Marian Regional Medical Center Santa Maria, CA AOA
Family Medicine MacNeal Hospital Berwyn, IL AOA
Family Medicine Aurora Sinai St. Lukes Hospital Milwaukee, WI AOA
Family Medicine East Pierce FM/Good Samaritan Puyallup, WA AOA
Family Medicine ARMC Colton, CA AOA
Family Medicine Downey Regional Medical Center Downey, CA AOA
Family Medicine Community Health Care Tacoma, WA AOA
Family Medicine Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center Chicago, IL AOA
Family Medicine Providence St Peter Hospital Olympia, WA ACGME
Family Medicine Northridge Northridge, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Community Regional Medical Center Fresno, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Harbor-UCLA Torrance, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Northridge Northridge, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Einstein/Beth Isreal medical New York, NY ACGME
family Medicine Kaiser OC Irvine, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Glendale Adventist Glendale, CA ACGME
Family Medicine College Medical Center (PHLB) Long Beach, CA AOA
Family Medicine Kaiser OC Anaheim, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Kaiser Fontana Fontana, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Natividad Medical center Salinas, CA ACGME
Family Medicine McMaster University Brampton, Ontario, Canada CaRMs --> the Canadian match
Family Medicine PVMC Pomona, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Glendale Adventist Glendale, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Duke University Durham, NC ACGME
Family Medicine UMKC Kansas City, MO
Family Medicine Valey Family Medicine Modesto, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Long Beach Memorial Long Beach, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Northridge Hospital Northridge, CA ACGME
Family Medicine UCI Medical Center Orange, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Kaiser Fontana Fontana, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Kaiser Woodland Hills Woodland Hills, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Eisenhower Medical Center Rancho Mirage, CA ACGME
Familly Medicine Harbor-UCLA Torrance, CA ACGME

General Surgery Naval Medical Center San Diego San Diego, CA Military
General Surgery McLaren Greater Lansing Lansing, MI AOA
General Surgery MWU/OPTI/John C. Lincoln Phoenix, AZ AOA
General Surgery Palisades Medical Center North Bergen, NJ AOA
General Surgery Community Memorial Hospital Ventura, CA AOA
General Surgery Plaza Medical Center Fort Worth, TX AOA
General Surgery Univ of Pittsburgh Med Center Horizon Farrell, PA AOA
General Surgery Preliminary U of Texas Health Sciences Center San Antonio, TX ACGME

Internal Medicine
Internal Medicine Mountain Vista Medical Center Mesa, AZ AOA
Internal Medicine San Antonio Military Medical Center San Antonio, TX Army
Internal Medicine Good Samaritan Region Medical Center Corvallis, OR AOA
Internal Medicine Lutheran General Hospital Park Ridge, AOA
Internal Medicine Community Memorial Hospital Ventura, CA AOA
Internal Medicine Plaza Medical Center Fort Worth, TX AOA
Internal Medicine Oklahoma State University Medical Center Tulsa, OK AOA
Internal Medicine Henry Ford Macomb AOA
Internal Medicine Providence Sacred Heart Spokane, WA ACGME
Internal Medicine Legacy Emanuel/Good Samaritan Portland, OR ACGME
Internal Medicine Loma Linda University Loma Linda, CA ACGME
Internal Medicine UCSF Fresno Fresno, CA ACGME
Internal Medicine St. Mary's Long Beach Long Beach, CA ACGME
Internal Medicine Sinai Hospital of Baltimore Baltimore, MD ACGME
Internal Medicine UCLA Olive View Sylmar, CA ACGME
Internal Medicine UCI Irvine, CA ACGME
Internal Medicine White Memorial Los Angeles, CA ACGME
Internal Medicine Lenox Hill New York, NY ACGME
Internal Medicine St. Louis University St. Louis, MO ACGME
Internal Medicine Legacy Emanuel/Good Samaritan Portland, OR ACGME
Internal Medicine Kaiser Santa Clara Santa Clara, CA ACGME
Internal Medicine UCR Riverside, CA ACGME

Med-Peds Banner Good Samaritan/ Phoenix Children's Phoenix, AZ ACGME

Neurology Mayo Clinic- AZ Scottsdale, AZ ACGME
Neurology Loma Linda Loma Linda, CA ACGME

OB/GYN Providence Health Southfield, MI ACGME

Ophthalmology The University of Arkansas Little Rock, AR ACGME

Orthopedic Surgery Riverside County Regional Medical Center Moreno Valley, CA AOA
Orthopedic Surgery Community Memorial Hospital Ventura, CA AOA
Orthopedic Surgery Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center Corvallis, OR AOA
Orthopedic Surgery Doctors Medical Center Modesto, CA AOA
Orthopedic Surgery Doctors Medical Center Modesto, CA AOA
Orthopedic Surgery Riverside County Regional Medical Center Moreno Valley, CA AOA

Pediatrics Dayton Children's Hospital/ Wright-Patterson AFB Dayton, OH Military
Pediatrics-primary care track Loma Linda Loma Linda, CA ACGME
Pediatrics Texas A&M - Scott & White Temple, TX ACGME
Pediatrics Advocate Lutheran General Hospital Park Ridge, IL ACGME
Pediatrics North Shore LIJ New Hyde Park, NY ACGME
Pediatrics CHLA Los Angeles, CA ACGME
Pediatrics Orlando Health Orlando, FL ACGME
Pediatrics Loma Linda Loma Linda, CA ACGME
Pediatrics Oregon Health and Science Univ. Portland, OR ACGME
Pediatrics OSU Nationwide Children's Hospital Columbus Ohio ACGME
Pediatrics UT Houston Houston, TX ACGME
Pediatrics Loma Linda Loma Linda, CA ACGME
Pediatrics University of Arizona Tucson, AZ ACGME
Pediatrics University of Nevada Las Vegas, NV ACGME

PM&R Larkin Community Hospital/NSUCOM Miami, Florida AOA
PM&R Univ of Texas Health Sci. Center San Antonio, TX ACGME
PM&R Northwestern University, RIC Chicago, Il ACGME
PM&R Loma Linda California ACGME
PM&R UCLA / VA Greater LA LA, CA ACGME
PM&R LSU New Orleans, LA ACGME

Psychiatry Pine Rest Grand Rapids, Mi AOA
Psychiatry Loma Linda Loma Linda, CA ACGME
Psychiatry Kaiser Permanente Fontana, CA ACGME
Psychiatry UNSOM Las Vegas ACGME
Psychiatry USC Los Angeles, CA ACGME
Psychiatry Kaiser Permanente Fontana, CA ACGME

Urology Cook County Chicago, IL AOA

Found a recent match list if anyone's interested.

WesternU (incomplete)

Emergency Medicine
Emergency Medicine Naval Medical Center San Diego San Diego, CA Military
Emergency Medicine Oakwood Medical Center Trenton/Dearborn, Michigan AOA
Emergency Medicine Lakeland Regional Medical Center St. Joseph, Michigan AOA
Emergency Medicine ARMC Colton, Ca AOA
Emergency Medicine Adena Regional Medical Center Chillicothe, OH AOA
Emergency Medicine St Barnabas Bronx, NY AOA
Emergency Medicine PBCGME Port Saint Lucie, FL AOA
Emergency Medicine Henry Ford Macomb Clinton Township, MI AOA
Emergency Medicine Good Sam West Islip, NY AOA
Emergency Medicine USC LA, CA ACGME
Emergency Medicine Wayne State Univ/Sinai Grace Detroit, MI ACGME
Emergency Medicine Texas Tech El Paso, TX ACGME
Emergency Medicine UCSF Fresno Fresno, CA ACGME
Emergency Medicine University of Nebraska Omaha, Ne ACGME
Emergency medicine University Illinois Chicago Chicago, Il ACGME
Emergency Medicine Baystate Medical Center Springfield, MA ACGME
Emergency Medicine University of Arizona ACGME
Emergency Medicine University of Mississippi Jackson, MS ACGME

Urology Cook County Chicago, IL AOA

Love the number of EM matches since I'm interested in it =)

I know it's still early, but how frustrating is it that she doesn't even address my question? She didn't say "we review our applications in random bunches" or anything that logically answered why I haven't received a secondary and people that have submitted 2-3 weeks after have? I never have been one to make "polite" when something does not make sense, especially when she wasn't giving me any insight as to what's going on... She could have said "this is normal for some applicants to receive secondaries sooner than others, sometimes it takes 2-3 months to receive a secondary, I wouldn't perceive this as a negative at this early of a stage in the cycle." but she didnt... careless. I mean I am fortunate to already have two interviews at this early stage of the cycle, but Western is an important school for me and probably my best shot at staying in state (though USUHS is my top choice overall) and its frustrating to feel the admissions staff is careless, and by being careless they are pushing my application to review at a later stage in the cycle and therefor negatively influencing my shot at this program.

These people literally have your future in their hands, ALWAYS be polite. No one wants to interview a rude student who thinks they're owed something just because of their numbers. Something you have to learn in this process is be nice to EVERYONE. I don't care if it's the janitor in the bathroom at your interview, always be courteous and polite. At interviews smile when no ones looking because trust me, someone is watching you. Fake it, do whatever you have to. Realize this is a game and getting ahead isn't always about stats, its a lot about personality and being able to adapt to certain personalities (especially during the interview). You're going to have a rough time in school and with patients with this mentality.

Reactions: 6 users
These people literally have your future in their hands, ALWAYS be polite. No one wants to interview a rude student who thinks they're owed something just because of their numbers. Something you have to learn in this process is be nice to EVERYONE. I don't care if it's the janitor in the bathroom at your interview, always be courteous and polite. At interviews smile when no ones looking because trust me, someone is watching you. Fake it, do whatever you have to. Realize this is a game and getting ahead isn't always about stats, its a lot about personality and being able to adapt to certain personalities (especially during the interview). You're going to have a rough time in school and with patients with this mentality.

"fake it" . .. ? that's horrible advice. I'd rather stay true to myself, and if you knew me at all you'd know I have strong interpersonal skills, and assuming I'm going to have a "rough time in school and with patients" because I call it how it is and don't "fake it" as you suggest is a clueless assessment

Western's adcom does not have my future in it's hands.. I do
Appreciate your advice nonetheless

How big is the interview group for Western U (i.e. how many students do they invite per interview date)?