RVU-COM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No...you are a pre-med holding acceptances to MD schools THIS YEAR:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7843058#post7843058
It's a good MD school, but even that doesn't make you a medical student PRIOR TO ENROLLING?!
(Notice how some of us haven't changed our status yet?).
And as someone who works for MSSM and Columbia's Med schools, I suggest you eat a piece of humble pie before you show up...Or you can wait for your profs and peers to put your attitude in its place. Hopefully, you only manage to be so much of a jerk when you have anonymity.

Hahaha...excellent find and the truth comes out.

Members don't see this ad.

No...you are a pre-med holding acceptances to MD schools THIS YEAR:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7843058#post7843058
It's a good MD school, but even that doesn't make you a medical student PRIOR TO ENROLLING?!
(Notice how some of us haven't changed our status yet?).
And as someone who works for MSSM and Columbia's Med schools, I suggest you eat a piece of humble pie before you show up...Or you can wait for your profs and peers to put your attitude in its place. Hopefully, you only manage to be so much of a jerk when you have anonymity.

I am not going to MSSM. I am actually going to Columbia P&S

I am not going to MSSM. I am actually going to Columbia P&S

OH SNAP!! THAT'S GOTTA STING! Handy, you sure showed them who their mess'n with!

Hahahaha, just kidding, you're a great kid, keep listening to your mother and better luck next time.

Members don't see this ad :)
OH SNAP!! THAT'S GOTTA STING! Handy, you sure showed them who their mess'n with!

Hahahaha, just kidding, you're a great kid, keep listening to your mother and better luck next time.

Best of luck with your future education.

in response to students saying they didn't know what they were getting themselves into, how can you apply to a school, plan to give it over $200,000, stay four years there, and have its name engraved on your diploma for life, without careful research? I was going to apply there as well but from the getgo this school was a shady as hell. please, premeds, take this advice from someone who has been through the process: don't let your desperation in becoming a doctor blind you in looking carefully at the school that is good for you; the school you choose will forever be a part of who you are. I applied to a bunch of schools i did not know about and didn't even cared for because i was simply desperate in getting into a school, the result was wasted money and time. It's ok to retake the MCATs and polish your resume, in the long run, such experiences will only make you stronger and prepare you better for medical school.

in response to students saying they didn't know what they were getting themselves into, how can you apply to a school, plan to give it over $200,000, stay four years there, and have its name engraved on your diploma for life, without careful research? I was going to apply there as well but from the getgo this school was a shady as hell. please, premeds, take this advice from someone who has been through the process: don't let your desperation in becoming a doctor blind you in looking carefully at the school that is good for you; the school you choose will forever be a part of who you are. I applied to a bunch of schools i did not know about and didn't even cared for because i was simply desperate in getting into a school, the result was wasted money and time. It's ok to retake the MCATs and polish your resume, in the long run, such experiences will only make you stronger and prepare you better for medical school.

Thank you! I posted (I think in this very thread) that I had researched the school, found some things I didn't like, and decided against pursuing an education there. I never condemned the for profit status and actually only posted one of the (many) negative things I found while looking into the school. I was flamed left and right for it. At the time I was simply doing as you are now suggesting--researching the school. No way was I going to invest that much money and time to a place (not just a medical school...anything) without finding out all I could about it first. But like I said, instead of the RVU people (not all) appreciating that I was actually looking into the school, they found it easier to ridicule me.

Now, for all I know the school will work out and everything will be just fine, but if it doesn't...well, if it doesn't I'll comment on that when it happens. ;) Regardless though, the advice is sound. Research something before you commit to it!

Last edited:
PM me if you want an inside student perspective on what is happening at MY school.

Use caution when listening/reading peoples opinions who are not acuallty involved.

Better yet, contact the school itself. You can try Dr. Michael Martin (mmartin@rockyvistauniversity), Dr. Stephen Putthoff ([email protected]), or interim dean Dr. Thomas Mohr ([email protected])

Get your information from someone who is inside the school and speak directly as to what is going on...

PM me if you want an inside student perspective on what is happening at MY school.

Use caution when listening/reading peoples opinions who are not acuallty involved.

Better yet, contact the school itself. You can try Dr. Michael Martin (mmartin@rockyvistauniversity), Dr. Stephen Putthoff ([email protected]), or interim dean Dr. Thomas Mohr ([email protected])

Get your information from someone who is inside the school and speak directly as to what is going on...

I'm wondering why you want people to PM you when you could satisfy everyone's curiousity by simply posting your persective here - publically. You'd only have to post it once.

Our student voices have been heard - the majority. Those who read and agreed with what the letter to the AOA stated - chose to sign. Simple truths - copies were there for all to read.

No more lies, please.

Only the select few with RVU-backed scholarships, some on the SGA (the president of the SGA agreed and signed! THAT'S INTEGRITY), and those with fear of administrative retribution, did not sign.

100 RVUCOM Student Signatures on the way to AOA/COCA this very moment. A second list is already composed - taking that number to new heights and emphasizing our desires for the AOA/COCA to intervene. If anything, our classmates have shown a true integrity - a strength and goodness I never would have imagined - traits worthy of future physicians. I'm still proud to be an RVUCOM student for that reason alone.

We've truth on our side - and we are backed by local physicians and the community. We've chosen not to disrespect those that once supported US as students and the direction of our school.

DO Down, I think it's important that you clarify that the letter composed to the AOA asked for them to evaluate the current state of the school, which I do believe would be beneficial, for nothing else, in order to make sure we are still operating with no issues. Your postings reach far and above the intent of the AOA letter, and make grandiose claims that the majority of the students hope for some intervening action. I think that students are more concerned about just making sure everything is stable. Furthermore, by posting such one-sided and negative rants regarding the operations of OUR school, you are serving only to harm the integrity of the school and its students. Please let the letter suffice. Let the AOA act if they deem it necessary. Refrain from further damaging the school from which you will recieve your diploma.

Do down wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over did what has happened at our school. 149 of us do not agree with him. He has lied to all on sdn and now sits quietly after students have become aware of what has happened on sdn. So for everyone who is on the bandwagon.....its all for nothing, you all have been lied to just as we have by our own classmate. :(:(

if he really beleives he has a case he will tell the truth and what his name is and if it is the truth then we cant get mad at him....but he wont since its lies

thats as simple as it gets.

Hey I know it might be hard to tell but I was wondering if most of the students at Rocky Vista wanted to go into primary care or if there was a number who wanted to do other things as well?? I know they prefer primary care but I was just checking to see what some of you thought regarding the support to do other things as well. (I'm very undecided but was just curious). Thanks!

Do down wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over did what has happened at our school. 149 of us do not agree with him. He has lied to all on sdn and now sits quietly after students have become aware of what has happened on sdn. So for everyone who is on the bandwagon.....its all for nothing, you all have been lied to just as we have by our own classmate. :(:(

if he really beleives he has a case he will tell the truth and what his name is and if it is the truth then we cant get mad at him....but he wont since its lies

thats as simple as it gets.

I feel the same way. We were lied to in signing that paper. I personally want to be taken off the list as well as some of my classmates. DO Down (our classmate) took things way out of hand by posting the lies he did. I'm glad i was told about this site so now I can help speak the truth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I know it might be hard to tell but I was wondering if most of the students at Rocky Vista wanted to go into primary care or if there was a number who wanted to do other things as well?? I know they prefer primary care but I was just checking to see what some of you thought regarding the support to do other things as well. (I'm very undecided but was just curious). Thanks!

Everyone wants to do something different. We for sure cover the wide range of fields out there. There are many students who are not going to do Primary care....and no worries all fields are supported fully by all faculty

Last edited:
I'm wondering why you want people to PM you when you could satisfy everyone's curiousity by simply posting your persective here - publically. You'd only have to post it once.

I believe that I have made myself very clear from my previous posts, but I certainly don't mind taking the time out to share again.

I am a current RVU student and couldn't be happier with my decision to matriculate here. While we admittedly have had some growing pains, and I'm sure we will have more, none have been too big to make me change my mind. RVU is and will continue to be an amazing institution where future doctors are taught to care, treat and find health in our future patients. The curriculum is innovative. The building is full of high tech goodness. Every experience I have had with community doctors has been fulfilling.

I come from a very solid clinical background, including work at the other medical school in town. My doctor contacts, who I have great working and personal relationships with, have assured me time and time again that I should have no fear with receiving my medical education at this new school. Not one has told me to transfer, withdraw or anything else of the sort. Only positive feedback (I'm speaking of people who are on admission committees, program directors for residency programs, and directors in various clinical departments.

I believe that Dean Martin was dismissed for a very personal reason. Seems like he admittedly has made a mistake and has chosen to take a "very generous severance package" in exchange for his quiet exit from the school. The AOA was infomed of these decisions and in fact met personally with representatives from RVU (the president, the interim dean and the associate dean). The AOA gave their blessing for the change that occured. That is good enough for me. I think that what has happened to Dean Martin is his own personal problem. Unfortunately, he is a very well respected physician and has done great things for our school. I am indebted to him forever for having the vision and giving me the opportunity to persue my dream of becoming a doctor.

So I guess all I'm trying to share is that I'm happy where I am at. I can't wait until we fill the building next year will more eagar minds and hearts. I can't wait to meet more people that support the schools mission and don't fear the unknown. It obviously takes a very special person to dive into something that is so new and unknow. I guess I know a little of what Dr. Still felt back in the day when everyone tried to hold him down, telling him what he practiced was quackery and not based on medical fact. It is hard to be a pioneer of anything. But time will show that myself and others like me are the types of people that can make a huge difference in underserved communities.

Liz

I believe that Dean Martin was dismissed for a very personal reason. Seems like he admittedly has made a mistake and has chosen to take a "very generous severance package" in exchange for his quiet exit from the school. The AOA was infomed of these decisions and in fact met personally with representatives from RVU (the president, the interim dean and the associate dean). The AOA gave their blessing for the change that occured. That is good enough for me. I think that what has happened to Dean Martin is his own personal problem.
Liz

Now where did you get all this info from?

Now where did you get all this info from?

I go to the school...I sat in on a meeting with the involved parties (except the dean). My other classmates were there too.

First hand information from someone inside the school. Isn't that what everyone is looking for?

I go to the school...I sat in on a meeting with the involved parties (except the dean). My other classmates were there too.

First hand information from someone inside the school. Isn't that what everyone is looking for?

Sure, it would have been good to simply say that you were at a meeting with the administration right off, instead of me questioning the source of the info.

Sure, it would have been good to simply say that you were at a meeting with the administration right off, instead of me questioning the source of the info.

do some research...

Last edited:
I believe that I have made myself very clear from my previous posts, but I certainly don't mind taking the time out to share again.

I am a current RVU student and couldn't be happier with my decision to matriculate here. While we admittedly have had some growing pains, and I'm sure we will have more, none have been too big to make me change my mind. RVU is and will continue to be an amazing institution where future doctors are taught to care, treat and find health in our future patients. The curriculum is innovative. The building is full of high tech goodness. Every experience I have had with community doctors has been fulfilling.

I come from a very solid clinical background, including work at the other medical school in town. My doctor contacts, who I have great working and personal relationships with, have assured me time and time again that I should have no fear with receiving my medical education at this new school. Not one has told me to transfer, withdraw or anything else of the sort. Only positive feedback (I'm speaking of people who are on admission committees, program directors for residency programs, and directors in various clinical departments.

I believe that Dean Martin was dismissed for a very personal reason. Seems like he admittedly has made a mistake and has chosen to take a "very generous severance package" in exchange for his quiet exit from the school. The AOA was infomed of these decisions and in fact met personally with representatives from RVU (the president, the interim dean and the associate dean). The AOA gave their blessing for the change that occured. That is good enough for me. I think that what has happened to Dean Martin is his own personal problem. Unfortunately, he is a very well respected physician and has done great things for our school. I am indebted to him forever for having the vision and giving me the opportunity to persue my dream of becoming a doctor.

So I guess all I'm trying to share is that I'm happy where I am at. I can't wait until we fill the building next year will more eagar minds and hearts. I can't wait to meet more people that support the schools mission and don't fear the unknown. It obviously takes a very special person to dive into something that is so new and unknow. I guess I know a little of what Dr. Still felt back in the day when everyone tried to hold him down, telling him what he practiced was quackery and not based on medical fact. It is hard to be a pioneer of anything. But time will show that myself and others like me are the types of people that can make a huge difference in underserved communities.

Liz

what happened to the board of trustees?

My bad...It was late and I overlooked my sources. I thought the fact that I attend the school would have been good enough. I didn't think this was a testimony.

You have to forgive me for being a little perturbed. After all, no matter what it comes down to the student body. Having people start flame wars at my expense is tough to swallow without getting a little defensive.

what happened to the board of trustees?

There were some that were voted off the island (3 in fact). I can't speak to all of the details surrounding their dismisal, cause I don't know them.

BTW I find it interesting that PNWU had similar changes in their high administration (correct me if I am wrong, I don't have time to do all of the research) and didn't seem to have all of the backlash that we are having to endure.

RVUFuture...great post!:D

I personally chose not to attend RVU because it beign a new school with provisional accreditation made me nervous. However, a CO native and very proud of osteopathic medicine, I believe that RVU will succeed and be a great institution. CO needs RVU to fulfill our phsycian demand and to broaden the community knowledge of DOs as a whole. Many people in CO arent even aware of what a DO is and I think RVU will strengthen the DO network and improve local health care.

Again, anything new goes through growing pains and I dont think any of this is cause for great concern. I genuinely hope everyone who is associated with RVU remains positive and strong through this process. RVU deserves to succeed- regardless of whether it is a for profit school or not- and the osteopathic world will benefit from RVU and any new DO schools whether they realize it or not.

Hey guys,
Just checking in to say that I have withdrawn my acceptance at RVU-COM, and no it doesn't have anything to do with all the stuff people have been posting on here. I liked the school itself, and I think if it had just been a few years older I would have gone. Hopefully someone who really wants a spot can have mine. Good luck!

Brianjg, how old are you and why do you think that that will affect your time at RVUCOM?

Hey guys,
Just checking in to say that I have withdrawn my acceptance at RVU-COM, and no it doesn't have anything to do with all the stuff people have been posting on here. I liked the school itself, and I think if it had just been a few years older I would have gone. Hopefully someone who really wants a spot can have mine. Good luck!

Brian...Good luck with your future, where ever it may take you. :thumbup:

Written in the AOA daily report:

RVUCOM Students Give Back to Community

Speaking of outreach, osteopathic medical students at the Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVUCOM) demonstrated their greatness and servitude through many mission and medical outreach projects this past year. To promote these activities and inspire their fellow young Americans to serve, RVUCOM students have posted photos of their service projects on Serve.gov, a Web site created by the Obama Administration to help Americans find ways to serve in their communities. To see the photos and learn more about these student initiatives, visit the Serve.gov gallery and search for "RVUCOM." Congratulations RVUCOM!

http://myproject.serve.gov/public/gallery/Default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1&

RVUCOM IN NEWS http://coloradocommunitynewspapers....ker_chronicle/news/29_cm_university_pk_dc.txt

Last edited:
Hey Rulz...thanks for posting the link!

Great bit of information on some of the happenings at RVUCOM.

Since this school is so new, current students can not attest to the quality of the clinical rotations. They can only provide hearsay from what the administration promises. Clinicals are the most important aspect of medical education because this is where you learn to become a physician.

Current students, keep us updated on the quality of your clinical rotations when you enter that phase of your education. Good luck.

Since this school is so new, current students can not attest to the quality of the clinical rotations. They can only provide hearsay from what the administration promises. Clinicals are the most important aspect of medical education because this is where you learn to become a physician.

Current students, keep us updated on the quality of your clinical rotations when you enter that phase of your education. Good luck.

Will do. We'll be in touch in 15 months.

You got it...I'm interested to see how it all plays out too.

Thought I would post this for applicants for the new cycle. I just received the RVU secondary application today. I submitted my primary to AACOMAS around May 8, was verified about June 2, and had my application released to schools on June 12. It looks like the secondary hasn't changed from last cycle - Why D.O., why RVU, and summarize your personal statement. Anyone else on the secondary?

Thought I would post this for applicants for the new cycle. I just received the RVU secondary application today. I submitted my primary to AACOMAS around May 8, was verified about June 2, and had my application released to schools on June 12. It looks like the secondary hasn't changed from last cycle - Why D.O., why RVU, and summarize your personal statement. Anyone else on the secondary?

Hey bro...thanks for the info.

Before we left for break, I swung by the admin office and heard something about 600 or so people that have submitted a primary. Get that secondary turned around quick...:luck:

any word on the board?

Here's a cut from the most recent letter we received, which was about 3 weeks ago:

Recent developments at RVU include changes to its Board of Trustees; these changes were made to continue to foster and promote its mission and vision. Following the Board reorganization, the newly constituted Board of Trustees elected Bruce Kaplan, D.O., as Chair. Two new members were added to the Board: Lucy Chua, M.D., a board-certified hematologist oncologist and Vanessa Sanchez, Ph.D., a veterinary microbiologist. It is the Board’s intention to fill remaining Board slots before its next meeting slated for July 25. Toward that end, the Board has begun the process of identifying potential Board members, including several doctors of osteopathic medicine.

lucy chua is Yife Tien's wife... hmmm
she also made 12K in political contributions last year... i wonder to who!

Here's a cut from the most recent letter we received, which was about 3 weeks ago:

Recent developments at RVU include changes to its Board of Trustees; these changes were made to continue to foster and promote its mission and vision. Following the Board reorganization, the newly constituted Board of Trustees elected Bruce Kaplan, D.O., as Chair. Two new members were added to the Board: Lucy Chua, M.D., a board-certified hematologist oncologist and Vanessa Sanchez, Ph.D., a veterinary microbiologist. It is the Board’s intention to fill remaining Board slots before its next meeting slated for July 25. Toward that end, the Board has begun the process of identifying potential Board members, including several doctors of osteopathic medicine.

ohh shiiietttt.... to the National Repub. congressional committee and Mitt Romney..... im not giving my money to them!

so no more DO's added yet to the board? any response from AOA?

so no more DO's added yet to the board? any response from AOA?

"Toward that end, the Board has begun the process of identifying potential Board members, including several doctors of osteopathic medicine."

Looks as if that is the best answer you will get for some time.

Yeah I am! Sorry it took me so long to get back, I've been getting ready to move out there, I leave on Thursday and we're driving!

well be careful detroit...looking forward to meeting you and the rest of your class in the next month! enjoy you last few weeks before school starts!

to all you first years...the word has come down and the dress code has been relaxed for 1st and 2nd years! Yippppeeee, jeans and hoodies on test days (and all other days)!

I've got a question of some of my fellow students here at RVU. Having just completed my second week here, I'm wondering about the religious level at the school. After the prayer during the white coat ceremony and a general feel that MANY students and faculty are of the god-beliveing variety, I'm curious if anyone else sees the same things.

This isn't meant to be disparaging, but I'd really like to know how many (and which) of the faculty are the deeply religious kind.

I've got a question of some of my fellow students here at RVU. Having just completed my second week here, I'm wondering about the religious level at the school. After the prayer during the white coat ceremony and a general feel that MANY students and faculty are of the god-beliveing variety, I'm curious if anyone else sees the same things.

This isn't meant to be disparaging, but I'd really like to know how many (and which) of the faculty are the deeply religious kind.

Frankly, I wondered the same thing when I started. But, after having the administration changes that occured over the summer, it is safe to say that the two most religious doctors in the school have since left the building.

You will often hear talk of the "Maker" and other religious undertones (during OPP for example), but I don't think too much of it. Everyone has their own beliefs.:) Don't sweat the small stuff. Concentrate on anatomy for now.

Indeed, just as Bruce Kaplan is a muckity-muck at AUC (either Clinical Science dean or COO or something, his title keeps changing).