Washington University wants me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pauleuglis said:
From what I remember, the application fee was just $50. Where did you come up with $100?! Check your facts.

Please refer to my second post on this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

clowne said:
Super Rob...I agree that this kind of marketing can give people false hopes, but Wash U shouldn't be singled out for doing it.

No, they shouldn't. But this is a post about Washington University.

dnelsen said:
I got a 36Q

Do you know how they would know my score?

wash u sends out letters to all the top scorers. but they tend to accept from the top down. it still might not have been worth it to have applied there because there are a lot of people that scored higher than 36. plus the pollution around the campus is really bad. i feel asleep to smoke stacks outside my window and had ashes on my coat just from walking outside when i was there for my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
dnelsen said:
I was surprised at what I found in the mail today...

I got a letter and a brochure for Washington University (unsolicited). The letter said "Congratulations on your strong showing on the April 2004 MCAT. Based on your terrific performance, I decided to write you..."

Too bad I'm already doing early decision at the U of MN ;)

It looks like a form letter. Who else on here got one of these letters? How do they know my MCAT score?

Wash U doesn't want YOU. They want you to APPLY to their school so that when they reject you (and a crap load of others), their acceptance rate goes down, so their US News and World Report ranking goes up. I know... those bastards!

Such negativity in the above two posts. As I mentioned in my first post...it clearly looked like a form letter, and not some super special you're so cool letter directly from the dean of admissions.

Yeah a 36Q sucks...there are a TON of people that scored higher :rolleyes:
I'm sure I don't have a shot at getting into Wash U :rolleyes:

Yeah and don't apply unless you plan to take calculus through diffy q.

Tiffany

Oh and if you wonder where your money goes... just look at that lovely full-color glossy.

dnelsen said:
Such negativity in the above two posts. As I mentioned in my first post...it clearly looked like a form letter, and not some super special you're so cool letter directly from the dean of admissions.

36 is certainly high enough to meet Washington's standards (the difference between a 36 and a 45 is not big percentage-wise when considering the difference between a 26 and a 36). Unfortunately, this process is not all about the MCAT, so there are no promises that you will get into this school or any other for that matter. A bunch of us received the marketing letter this passed November, you're receiving one in August. I think if you take them up on the offer to apply, now that they are have not already been flooded with applications, you'll at least have a better chance of getting an interview than we had.

I got the dumb letter with just a 34. I know a 34 is an excellent score, so I'm not saying "just a 34" as a fish for compliments. Rather, what I mean is that 6% of the MCAT population got that score. That's how many peeps, at least 2000? So why the heck do they send this to 2000 people to get their hopes up? Just to increase their app numbers, natch. I wouldn't get in with a 34 and a 3.5, and I'm not going to try. I think they're scam artists, personally. They can't interview all of us, so they shouldn't "recruit" us either.

dnelsen said:

You have great scores! You shouldn't be doubtful of that. Wash U sent me stuff like that, along with Hopkins and Pitt. I didn't plan on applying to any of those schools before I received those letters. I chose Hopkins, applied and never got an interview. In fact, they were the only school that didn't interview me. I think those letters are mass mailed to people with a certain MCAT and up.