EVMS waitlist movement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maigret Man

Nontrad premed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I was just put on the EVMS, OOS waitlist. I am in the upper third. Am I likely to get in this cycle? I saw an old thread said the school doesn't always get through the upper third.

Members don't see this ad.

I plan to hear back from EVMS in 2 weeks or so. When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? What have you heard?

I haven't heard much in terms of the wait list movement. I feel like EVMS isn't talked about a great deal on this forum. During my interview they said I would hear back in 3-4 weeks, and my interview was 2 weeks ago so....

I haven't heard much in terms of the wait list movement. I feel like EVMS isn't talked about a great deal on this forum. During my interview they said I would hear back in 3-4 weeks, and my interview was 2 weeks ago so....

Ah. I've been on the WL since around November or so. Judging from last year a few people heard back prior to April, but pretty much everyone got accepted on or just after May 15th (the last day to hold >1 acceptance.)

I'm not counting on hearing anything until then, although I was told by a "source" that I should hear something in "a month or two." This was about 3 wks ago...so it could be anytime now. Judging from last year's Class of 2011 thread though, not likely until May.

It's a shame EVMS isn't talked about more. I think it's a fantastic and far underrated school. I am also waiting to hear back from MCV, and if accepted to both, plan on going to EVMS...even though everyone thinks I'm crazy. I just like it better there.

Good luck!

I interviewed in early Feb. and received my waitlist letter within 2.5 weeks. I agree with other posters about EVMS. I was really impressed with it. I am surprised it doesn't have more of a reputation.

I interviewed in early Feb. and received my waitlist letter within 2.5 weeks. I agree with other posters about EVMS. I was really impressed with it. I am surprised it doesn't have more of a reputation.

Yea... darn I haven't heard of a non-waitlist response from EVMS in a while... You think their class is already full and no more acceptances are being granted?

Yea... darn I haven't heard of a non-waitlist response from EVMS in a while... You think their class is already full and no more acceptances are being granted?

Not at all. Here's what they do:

EVMS gets alot of "overqualified" applicants. These are people who apply to VCU and UVA with 35+ Mcats and 4.0 GPA's. They also apply to EVMS as a safety school.

EVMS, of course, offers these people acceptances before mere mortals like you and I. They don't take them, unless they have to.

So, come May 15th, everyone that has more than one acceptance HAS to pick one school and all those people taking up space in the EVMS class leave to take their spots at the "better" :rolleyes: schools.

This makes room for us waitlisters. Hence the massive list movement beginning in May.

I wish EVMS would forego this policy and accept the people that are going to make up their class anyways, but I understand. Invariably there will be some superstar that realizes how much better EVMS is and picks it over the other 2 Va schools.

So...probably means more waiting for us.

This makes sense ... all my tour guides on interview day said they were waitlisted and accepted later in the cycle.

I think somewhere between 50-80% of the class comes from the waitlist at EVMS. There's still hope!

Female OOS here, interviewed early Feb and waitlisted in the top 1/3. I'm also really looking forward to hearing from EVMS--I was really impressed by the school from my visit and really liked the feel there. Here's to movement (hopefully soon) off the waitlist!

Thats good to hear about the waitlist stuff. I know that if I'm put on that top 1/3 of the waitlist, I'm gonna do everything possible to weasel out some information from an admissions counselor. Just about my odds and stuff. I'm sure I won't get any information, but I definitely see myself trying...

Not at all. Here's what they do:

EVMS gets alot of "overqualified" applicants. They also apply to EVMS as a safety school.

EVMS, of course, offers these people acceptances before mere mortals like you and I. They don't take them, unless they have to.

i'm by no means that baller but i interviewed in mid feb and got my acceptance letter probably a week later. they told me i was interviewing for a waitlist spot.
i'm dropping evms the minute i get into another school - norfolk just didn't seem like home to me. once i do, i hope my spot goes to someone who's REALLY excited about evms. that was one of the things that impressed me during my visit and matters to me when i choose a school. enthusiasm among students and faculty is a huge deal to me.
Best of luck to all of you. or maybe i'll see you next fall depending on how things turn out. oh, and since i know there are different waitlsists, i'm OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm by no means that baller but i interviewed in mid feb and got my acceptance letter probably a week later. they told me i was interviewing for a waitlist spot.
i'm dropping evms the minute i get into another school - norfolk just didn't seem like home to me. once i do, i hope my spot goes to someone who's REALLY excited about evms. that was one of the things that impressed me during my visit and matters to me when i choose a school. enthusiasm among students and faculty is a huge deal to me.
Best of luck to all of you. or maybe i'll see you next fall depending on how things turn out. oh, and since i know there are different waitlsists, i'm OOS.

What date did you interview? I just wanna know so I can tell when I'll hear back. Thanks!

My interview was 2 weeks ago, too...maybe we interviewed together. Post when you hear something, so the rest of us will know what to expect. I'll do the same.

Most of you guys seem really high on EVMS. I had mixed feelings. The people (students, faculty, etc.) seemed awesome, and I'm not hung up on rankings or anything, but I just had trouble getting a good feel for what it would actually be like going there. What did you guys like so much? Just throw some thoughts out there for me.

There are a lot of reasons why EVMS fits my personality and interests, but throwing all analysis aside, something about it just "felt right" to me. I could quantify many different aspects of the program I liked, but overall I felt I would really like being a student there.

My interview was 2 weeks ago, too...maybe we interviewed together. Post when you hear something, so the rest of us will know what to expect. I'll do the same.

Most of you guys seem really high on EVMS. I had mixed feelings. The people (students, faculty, etc.) seemed awesome, and I'm not hung up on rankings or anything, but I just had trouble getting a good feel for what it would actually be like going there. What did you guys like so much? Just throw some thoughts out there for me.

I have a couple friends who go there and I stayed with one while I was there for my interview and really got the low down.

Positives:

Standardized Pt's
Atmosphere (everyone is nice and helpful to each other...they hang out)
Syllabus packet so you don't have to go to lecture if you don't wanna (usually).
Excellent parking
Excellent hospital(s)
Good residency placement
Much more well respected by the medical community than the magazines say. Their residents get good placements because PD's know they can trust EVMS graduates to know their $#!T

Negatives:

Histo is still microscope based.
The anatomy lab kinda sucks compared to the new one at MCV (or so I hear...MCV wouldn't show it to us out of "respect for the cadavers".

Not a huge fan of Norfolk, but it's not horrible.

That's about all I can think of.

Will do.. I interviewed on Feb 20th.

I just got an email inviting me to EVMS preview weekend. I interviewed about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard back yet. Does the email mean that I'm likely going to get in, (i.e., either accepted or top 3rd of WL), or do they pretty much extend this invitation to everyone under consideration? (I'm OOS, by the way.)

I just got an email inviting me to EVMS preview weekend. I interviewed about 3 weeks ago and haven't heard back yet. Does the email mean that I'm likely going to get in, (i.e., either accepted or top 3rd of WL), or do they pretty much extend this invitation to everyone under consideration? (I'm OOS, by the way.)

Sounds pretty likely that you got in. I was waitlisted way back in October last year and I haven't received any such email. Go ahead and give them a call; they're happy to let you know what your current status is over the phone.

I am in the top third of the WL and no invite ... you must be accepted. Congrats!

I called evms yesterday and they told me that the list will start to move in April. Nothing you can do now in March, so have fun on Spring Break guys. I'm OOS male and in the upper third. I hope they don't send us an acceptance on the 1st of April as a joke.

I interviewed in December and was waitlisted in-state top third in January. I've been calling every few weeks to check on my status, and I hadn't moved at all last time I checked a week or so ago, but today I got the preview weekend invite. Any other waitlisted people get this?

heyy drhexane. i am instate waitlisted at top 1/3 and i did get the preview weekend invite. :)

not on the subject of waitlist movement, but i was accepted back in december and i havent gotten an email about a preview weekend. should i be worried that they never got my deposit or something crazy like that?? anyone else accepted not get an email about preview weekend?

I interviewed in December and was waitlisted in-state top third in January. I've been calling every few weeks to check on my status, and I hadn't moved at all last time I checked a week or so ago, but today I got the preview weekend invite. Any other waitlisted people get this?

heyy drhexane. i am instate waitlisted at top 1/3 and i did get the preview weekend invite. :)

For those of you on the waitlist who were invited to preview:
I interviewed 3 weeks ago and was expecting to hear back from them any day now. I also got the preview email today, so I called to see what it means with respect to my status. They said that right now they are only inviting accepted students and only a very select few from the top of the waitlist who have really good chances of getting in. I asked if they were inviting the entire top 3rd of the waitlist, and they said no, only a select few. Also, others on this thread who are in the top 3rd have not been invited as of yet, so I guess this looks good for us.
As for others on the waitlist, I wouldn't worry...I've heard that a very high percentage of their class comes from the WL. Good luck all, and maybe I'll see some of you in April.

mdgator,
thanks for the info. . . that is really encouraging and helpful :) I'm pretty sure I'll be going to the preview.

not on the subject of waitlist movement, but i was accepted back in december and i havent gotten an email about a preview weekend. should i be worried that they never got my deposit or something crazy like that?? anyone else accepted not get an email about preview weekend?

+1

I was accepted back in november and I haven't gotten such an email regarding preview weekend. From the class threads, they said that they still haven't decided what day they were going to hold it. I've checked with the admission's office and they have received my deposit so the reason I haven't gotten an email about preview weekend is not because of that.

Not sure what's up, does any one have information about why the accepted students haven't gotten an email about preview weekend yet?

For those who got the email, when is it going to be held?

I was accepted back in november and I haven't gotten such an email regarding preview weekend. From the class threads, they said that they still haven't decided what day they were going to hold it. I've checked with the admission's office and they have received my deposit so the reason I haven't gotten an email about preview weekend is not because of that.

Not sure what's up, does any one have information about why the accepted students haven't gotten an email about preview weekend yet?

For those who got the email, when is it going to be held?

April 18-19...maybe I'll see you there!

I was accepted back in november and I haven't gotten such an email regarding preview weekend... ...does any one have information about why the accepted students haven't gotten an email about preview weekend yet?

I was accepted last fall, and this morning I received a letter (an actual snail-mail letter) of invitation from a member of the EVMS class of 2011; Preview Weekend is April 18-19.

My impression is that the letter is carefully worded to apply to both accepted and upper-level waitlist, etc. applicants. RSVP instructions are in the letter.

I was accepted last fall, and this morning I received a letter (an actual snail-mail letter) of invitation from a member of the EVMS class of 2011; Preview Weekend is April 18-19.

My impression is that the letter is carefully worded to apply to both accepted and upper-level waitlist, etc. applicants. RSVP instructions are in the letter.

i got the snail mail invite today also

I wish EVMS would forego this policy and accept the people that are going to make up their class anyways, but I understand. Invariably there will be some superstar that realizes how much better EVMS is and picks it over the other 2 Va schools.

That's the issue with state schools. They have to look at their residents first. I'm sure if EVMS had their way as a private school, then most of the people using EVMS as a "backup" school would be initially rejected

It's a shame EVMS isn't talked about more. I think it's a fantastic and far underrated school. I am also waiting to hear back from MCV, and if accepted to both, plan on going to EVMS...even though everyone thinks I'm crazy. I just like it better there.

Good luck!

I read somewhere that EVMS doesn't submit material to US news for ranking which could possibly the reasoning for its lesser known name. Additionally, it's only been here for the past 30 years where as many other schools have been training doctors for many many more decades.

I'm interviewing at EVMS this week. Can anyone tell me what to expect?
Thanks in advance

If you search on SDN's website, there's one location where they list all the questions each school has asked in the past. Generally EVMS likes to ask about ethics and healthcare. That's all I remember from my interview. Best of luck!

hey Scott, thanks for letting us know about the facebook group.

On a different note, anyone else applying to the md/mph program?

I don't know how indicative this is of the waitlist as a whole, but I can say that I was just accepted from a mid-Jan placement on the top third (in-state) yesterday (woooooo!). So apparently it is moving some.
Best of luck to you all!

I don't know how indicative this is of the waitlist as a whole, but I can say that I was just accepted from a mid-Jan placement on the top third (in-state) yesterday (woooooo!). So apparently it is moving some.
Best of luck to you all!

Wow! Congratulations! How were you notified and did you do anything after being placed on the waitlist? Like send letter of updates?

I was notified by snail mail. I didn't do anything other than call every few weeks to see if I had changed places on the list (moved down).

Best of luck to you all!

Congrats! But hey I've got a question about the waitlist...

Say I hear back from EVMS tomorrow and they say I'm in the top third of the waitlist.. does this mean that I'm at the very back of the top third, or could I possibly jump people? The reason I ask is because people always say they call for updates of them "moving up" the waitlist. However, if new applicants are allowed to jump in the waitlist, couldn't someone actually move "down" the waitlist (in the bad sense)??

I think that it's possible to move down the waitlist. . . in fact, I think I remember reading about it happening to someone in another thread at some point. However, it seems like that at this point in the cycle there's probably not a whole lot of new people being added to the waitlist so it's a lot more likely you'd move up!

Hey, I am OOS and I am on the upper third of the waitlist. What are my chances? When should I hear back from them?

From what I understand the bottom line is:

EVMS takes many people off the waitlist however, how many will vary year to year depending on the number of people who accept EVMS as their medical school.

Although EVMS gives rankings, people may be pulled out of order which depends on who turns EVMS down. They try to keep a diverse student body so if a female OOS turns them down, then they will pull a female OOS off the waitlist.

Of course, I'm not the admissions committee so all that I've said is on what people have experienced in the past and on my own speculations. However, I wish you the best of luck!

If you search on SDN's website, there's one location where they list all the questions each school has asked in the past. Generally EVMS likes to ask about ethics and healthcare. That's all I remember from my interview. Best of luck!
thanks alot!
here's hoping for the best!

I didn't receive an invitation to the second look. but an interviewer mentioned second look at the end of an interview... now considering the lack of this invitation, i don;t know what to think:(

oh BTW, i am in the middle third instate waitlist category.

can someone help me analyze what's going on???

Hey Goodluckcharm,
I called this morning and they said they would send me an invitation this afternoon. They told me it was the students who were organizing it and so it was the students who were inviting, but the lady was really nice and said that she would send me one. She did say that they couldn't invite everyone because they don't have enough resources, but she didn't say they were just inviting top tier waitlisters.
I am OOS top third btw.

I didn't receive an invitation to the second look. but an interviewer mentioned second look at the end of an interview... now considering the lack of this invitation, i don;t know what to think:(

oh BTW, i am in the middle third instate waitlist category.

can someone help me analyze what's going on???

I wish I could shed some light on how the invitations to preview weekend are worked out, but I really don't know. If it makes you feel better though, I was in-state middle third last year, was not invited to preview weekend, and was still offered acceptance in early spring. So don't read too much into it (although I understand your feelings, I was pretty bummed/anxious last year at about this time). Also, you can call and express an interest to attend the preview weekend if you want, it is a very friendly school and and I am sure they will do what they can to accomodate. It is always good to keep up contact and express interest. You just never know who will notice or what difference (if any) it will make. Best of luck! :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.