2020-2021 Eastern Virginia (EVMS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Eastern Virginia Medical School

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the secondary often change, or is it something we could start working on from previous years?

Does the secondary often change, or is it something we could start working on from previous years?
The secondary doesn't change often. It'd be a safe bet to work on the old questions (though no guarantees).

Hi everyone, I am a current student (just finished M1 year). Ask me anything.
Fellow NOVA native here! Any tips on the secondaries? EVMS seems to have a pretty unique set of prompts

Fellow NOVA native here! Any tips on the secondaries? EVMS seems to have a pretty unique set of prompts
Well I am not really supposed to give you advice on application . All I can say is try to dig into your heart , and really think of what You want to answer .

As with any secondary, answer the prompts honestly! There's not a "perfect" answer and they're not trying to trick you.
Do you know what the stat cut-off is for secondaries?
There doesn't appear to be a stat cut-off for secondaries!

Reactions: 1 user
I am sorry i dont. The best way to find out - email admissions. They do publish that median score for successful matriculants is 3.5GPA and 511 MCAT, but i didnt see reference for cutoff. sorry

Hi everyone, I am a current student (just finished M1 year). Ask me anything.
Is it more difficult to get in if you are an out of state resident? It doesn't really say anything on their site about giving priority to in-state applicants

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it more difficult to get in if you are an out of state resident? It doesn't really say anything on their site about giving priority to in-state applicants
Our classes are historically about 50/50 out of state vs in state. I think there are more ppl applying for out of state spots, so statistically, it is harder. I would discourage you from thinking about it this way. Just think that you are competing against yourself. Look at school goals, look at stats. Are you competitive - than you have a chance. From that on - just do your best.

What's your impression of the program so far ? Friendly student cohort ? What's the school / class environment like ? Faculty ? Favorite things ?

What's your impression of the program so far ? Friendly student cohort ? What's the school / class environment like ? Faculty ? Favorite things ?
student cohort is definitely friendly, - i think ppl get along well. The scoring system in the school is set up in such a way that you dont really benefit from other ppl not doing well, so everyone always shares resources, helps each other, etc. I think its a comfortable place to be.
center of academic development and student wellness are amazing, - first of all they are very helpful. When i was having problems with studying - just couldnt figure out my "way", - they sat down with me FOR AN HOUR, and we made a plan that worked for ME. Next exam my points jumped from mid 70s to high 80s and low 90s. THey really care.
School is very warm, - warm colors, wood everywhere, plants. nice bathrooms, fresh paint. Everything looks very put together, clean. It is very comfortable to be there.
Coffee is pretty good in the store.
Faculty - it think everyone has their favorites, you know? specific faculty members that they like more than others. I definitely have my favorites, especially since they teach the subjects i am interested in. Overall, faculty is very available (which is great), and they try to focus on Step 1 relative material. They literally tell you during lectures whats high yield and whats not. It is very helpful (we also get free uworld, and free sketchy).

Favorite things - i think the fact that lectures are all online, the fact that we have a lot of free resources available for us that normally cost a lot of money, the fact that we have a portal with anki decks and such, the fact that there is always some sort of free food somewhere on campus :) (they like to feed us, i think). Overall i really love that there is enough flexibility that ppl can make their school experience whatever they want, you know?

Reactions: 7 users
Stoked to be applying this year! Hampton Roads born and bred. I lived in Ghent for part of undergrad and loved every minute of it, really hoping to move back

i emailed admissions and they said while they don't have an automatic cut-off, they generally look for a 3.5 or higher in the sciences and in general!

i emailed admissions and they said while they don't have an automatic cut-off, they generally look for a 3.5 or higher in the sciences and in general!

One helpful thing I learned from applying here last year is that EVMS is one of few schools I know of that screens holistically (not just based on stats) pre-secondary. There will be people with 3.3 gpa that get a secondary, and there will be people with a 3.5 that do not. This also means there is often a 1-2 week delay between when your primary is verified by AMCAS and when you the get EVMS secondary, so don’t feel like you need to bug the admissions office if you do not receive it right away.

Reactions: 1 users
This holistic screen is making me happy. EVMS is my number 1

good luck everyone. I know you are all stressed out right now, because of everything going on, but just try to stay positive and keep pushing!!!

good luck everyone. I know you are all stressed out right now, because of everything going on, but just try to stay positive and keep pushing!!!
Do they have any love for non-trads?

ODU grad here!! I'm hoping I can stay here but it's EVMS is a stretch for me!!

If anyone has questions about the area surrounding campus I am happy to help!

hey everyone! I recently received a secondary and have a question about the fee. I have FAP through AMCAS, is EVMS waiving their secondary fee for FAP applicants and how do I go about doing this?

Briefly describe your exposure to medicine. (2000 characters)
What do you think you will like best about being a physician? (2000 characters)
What do you think you will like least about being a physician? (2000 characters)
Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now. (2000 characters)
Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS. (2000 characters)

Briefly describe your exposure to medicine. (2000 characters)
What do you think you will like best about being a physician? (2000 characters)
What do you think you will like least about being a physician? (2000 characters)
Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now. (2000 characters)
Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS. (2000 characters)
so exactly the same as last yrs?

Rejected before secondary, OOS non trad. I respect the consideration to my bank account.

Reactions: 3 users
It's really considerate that they do pre-secondary R's, to be honest. I'm OOS and waiting on a secondary. Does anyone know how they screen for secondaries?

Edit: In 2018-2019, someone OOS got screened out with a 3.7X/515, lol. I wonder if it's holistic? Or maybe based on hours in certain categories?

Reactions: 3 users
It's really considerate that they do pre-secondary R's, to be honest. I'm OOS and waiting on a secondary. Does anyone know how they screen for secondaries?

Edit: In 2018-2019, someone OOS got screened out with a 3.7X/515, lol. I wonder if it's holistic? Or maybe based on hours in certain categories?

I would assume it is not an auto-screen. I have 3.5X/513, decent volunteer hrs, and a lot of clinical exp. With so many apps I think a lot of it just comes down to some luck as well.

I would assume it is not an auto-screen. I have 3.5X/513, decent volunteer hrs, and a lot of clinical exp. With so many apps I think a lot of it just comes down to some luck as well.
Definitely doesn't sound like an auto-screen. I'm sorry to hear about the R, but it sounds like you have a great app and will get love elsewhere. Best of luck!

Just received a secondary, OOS! Got the same email 3 times for some reason lmao

So we will receive a rejection letter if they screen you out from their secondary?

Any IS still waiting on secondary invite?

Any IS still waiting on secondary invite?
that will be I. I went to ODU and Live in Norfolk lol. But as I said above, they dir. of admissions called me and left a vague voicemail so idk.

• Wow
Does anyone know the percent of applicants that are selected for secondaries/how selective it generally is?

I'm IS and have yet to receive a R or secondary. Anyone know if they usually call you for that rejection or is an email more typical?

I'm OOS, but curious as to what they're calling people about? I'm assuming that's just for in-staters?

Got my pre-secondary R this morning :')
OOS, LM 66, URM
Good luck to everyone still in the game at this school!

Is anyone else having trouble inputting the prerequisites on the secondary? Only two of my classes are showing up as options...

I'm OOS and still waiting for any email or call