2020-2021 Eastern Virginia (EVMS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Looks like it's clear now that interviews from this point forward are exclusively for the waitlist. Didn't know schools actually do that.
For those who have interviewed: how long is the interview day/when does it start? Is it necessary to take a full day off work?
I interviewed 1/13. Info sessions 9:30-1. My individual interview was 3:30-4:15.
EDIT: I have interviewed at 5 schools since 1/1/2021 and only converted 1 to an A. I think a lot of schools that interview in January and forward are interviewing for the WL, at least for the majority.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Same as above but I got the 2:30 time so I interviewed from 2:30 to about 3:10 I think. You could split the day up though if you wanted to attend the info session you can do it on a different Wednesday of your interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same as above but I got the 2:30 time so I interviewed from 2:30 to about 3:10 I think. You could split the day up though if you wanted to attend the info session you can do it on a different Wednesday of your interview.
If the interview is on Friday, can you also attend an info session on Friday morning? Or are the info sessions only on Wednesdays? Are the info sessions required?

If the interview is on Friday, can you also attend an info session on Friday morning? Or are the info sessions only on Wednesdays? Are the info sessions required?
I believe the info sessions are only on Wed. They are recommended but not required; someone on this thread did not attend and still got accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
Friday interviews only have the interview portion. But you can attend the informational session on the Wednesday of that week if you wish.

When do we think movement off waitlist will start? I've been top tier OOS since Feb 4th. I think it normally starts mid-April but just curious to see what others think.
Not trying to give a false hope. But I interviewed as OOS in mid December, top tier WL in the beginning of January and then got the A on Feb 1st. Best thing you can do is write an update/LOI and take a break from sdn/reddit for your nerves’ sake. If it’s meant to be it’s meant to be at this point.

Reactions: 3 users
Eh, it's either ask and answer questions on SDN/Reddit or go back to Senior level Math courses which stress me out worse. So it's more of a welcome break for me but thanks for the information. Hoping it works out!

does anyone know if evms is true pass/fail? or if there’s internal ranking/quartile ranks that show up on residency apps down the line

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if evms is true pass/fail? or if there’s internal ranking/quartile ranks that show up on residency apps down the line
They are true pass/fail. I think they chose not to even get involved with AOA. However if you do maintain a 92% ish (not sure) test score average you get their version of honors in your dean’s letter when you apply for residencies. I can’t recall if they rank people in class tho (I don’t think they do, but not sure)

There are different “areas of distinction” and if you get above a certain average you get the “medical knowledge” distinction on your Deans Letter. It doesn’t count against you if not, there are several other areas of distinction. Otherwise, it is P/F and overall very chill amongst students. We share notes, practice questions, and help each other out all the time. Very friendly atmosphere! If you have any other questions let me know, I’m a current M2.

Edit: We DO also have AOA, but that might change. AOA is great if you can get it, but it’s not a big deal if not, it’s very selective. I personally would not choose a school based on AOA vs no AOA. No one I know even talks about it.
Would you mind sharing some of the other areas of distinction?

There are different “areas of distinction” and if you get above a certain average you get the “medical knowledge” distinction on your Deans Letter. It doesn’t count against you if not, there are several other areas of distinction. Otherwise, it is P/F and overall very chill amongst students. We share notes, practice questions, and help each other out all the time. Very friendly atmosphere! If you have any other questions let me know, I’m a current M2.

Edit: We DO also have AOA, but that might change. AOA is great if you can get it, but it’s not a big deal if not, it’s very selective. I personally would not choose a school based on AOA vs no AOA. No one I know even talks about it.
Every school has some sort of distinction / ranking and the reality is they don’t really talk about until you are at the school. If it’s p/f that’s all that matters.

Hi there,
I interviewed on 3/12 and am still waiting to hear about my decision. Anyone else hear yet after this last round of interviews in March?

Are March interviews exclusively for the waitlist, or has anyone who interviewed in March been directly accepted?

Hi there,
I interviewed on 3/12 and am still waiting to hear about my decision. Anyone else hear yet after this last round of interviews in March?
I interviewed 3/10 and haven't heard anything. I would also like to know if we are interviewing for waitlist spots at this time or if we have a shot at being accepted outright.

The class is at least full per AAMC guidelines. That said, if someone withdraws (historically, many will withdraw), you could potentially be accepted before being placed on the waitlist.

I interviewed 3/10 and haven't heard anything. I would also like to know if we are interviewing for waitlist spots at this time or if we have a shot at being accepted outright.
I agree, it would be great to have a little more clarity from admissions :/

The class is at least full per AAMC guidelines. That said, if someone withdraws (historically, many will withdraw), you could potentially be accepted before being placed on the waitlist.
I was thinking this as well, but wasn't sure if the class was full. Which AAMC guidelines are you referring to?

I agree, it would be great to have a little more clarity from admissions :/
I believe admissions has been pretty transparent. During one of the recent Wednesday interview sessions, they told us that the class is full and that interviews at this time (I'm guessing since March, maybe late Feb) will only be for the waitlist.

For those who interviewed recently, do we know when we will hear back a decision?

For those who interviewed recently, do we know when we will hear back a decision?
I emailed admissions to ask this question and was given the answer "2-3 weeks" from your interview date. I interviewed 3/12 and still haven't heard but hope to soon! Hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
It's April 1st! Let's hope for some waitlist movement this month 😌

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Fighting the urge to say "Accepted off Waitlist, April Fools"! lol.

anyone know who specifically a LOI should be addressed to at EVMS? Like do you think it matters whether it goes to Marsha Williams or Dr. Gamble?

anyone know who specifically a LOI should be addressed to at EVMS? Like do you think it matters whether it goes to Marsha Williams or Dr. Gamble?
I sent mine to the committee since they are the ones that make the decision.

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist recently? I need some hope in my life

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet?

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist recently? I need some hope in my life
I haven't heard of anyone getting off the waitlist recently, but I would imagine we will start to see movement again towards the back half of April. I am also anxiously waiting for that movement as EVMS is my favorite school and I've heard the OOS Top tier WL moves a lot so my fingers are super crossed!

Top 1/3 WL today, interviewed 3/24. Hoping to hear another update soon!!!

Middle 3rd waitlist today. Felt like we middle tier-ers were underrepresented lol

middle tier waitlist. interviewed 3/26. how much does IS 2nd tier waitlist really move? Does anyone have an idea?

middle tier waitlist. interviewed 3/26. how much does IS 2nd tier waitlist really move? Does anyone have an idea?
I was on IS middle tier last year and did not get off. It's not impossible, but it isn't the most likely. OOS WL generally moves a lot more than IS.

Accepted today after receiving top-tier waitlist! WL on 2/22, interview 2/3, A 4/11!

Reactions: 8 users
Withdrew today. Best of luck to those in the WL

Reactions: 7 users
To people who got their aid packages. Did you get an email or any notification?