Official AMCAS LOE Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bacchus

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the AMCAS LOE pilot system?
  • This is a letter service, similar to Interfolio or VirtualEvals, that participating AMCAS schools are using to organize Letters of Evaluation (LOE) during the 2009 application season. The system is in its pilot stage and not all schools are participating.
Will the AMCAS LOE system affect my application?
  • The system should not affect your application. Various board members have contacted AMCAS and the consensus is that the primary application can be submitted without LOEs arriving to AMCAS. However, in order to process secondary applications by participating schools, LOEs must be turned in to AMCAS.
How do I turn in LOEs to AMCAS (from cover sheet)?
  • You can use a letter service such as VirtualEvals or Interfolio to submit letters to AMCAS. As a precaution, make sure that each letter is uploaded on appropriate letterhead, with a signature and contains your AMCAS ID# to facilitate processing.
  • The LOE writer can directly mail the letter to AMCAS via first-class postal mail. Make sure to include the cover sheet (includes the identification barcode) and have the LOE be on appropriate letterhead and signed. The address is available on the physical coversheet which is obtained through the AMCAS, LOE section.
  • The LOE writer can upload the letter to AMCAS. This option is not yet available.
Links to resources:

Members don't see this ad.

so by using interfolio..we dont need to use that cover letter that AMCAS has?

AMCAS can receive letters sent to Interfolio if you are an Interfolio user or your institution/organization uses Interfolio to deliver letters of evaluation/recommendation. Make certain to add your AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID in your Interfolio account, as these IDs must accompany your letter in order for your letter to be matched with your application.
You need to include your AMCAS # and the Letter ID (which you designate). It does not appear you need to include the form.

Members don't see this ad :)

Interfolio has been working with AMCAS to ensure that our users will be able to send letters from their Interfolio accounts to AMCAS for the twenty schools participating in their pilot letter program. Below are instructions on how to submit your letter to AMCAS using Interfolio.
1) Request and store your LORs through Interfolio as usual

2) If you have the AMCAS Letter Request form for your letter (available on the AMCAS site), please upload it into your Interfolio account and include it in your delivery. Please DO NOT give it to your letter writer.
Here’s how to upload it:
  • From your “My Documents” view, click the link to “Add Document”
  • Select “Other Document” from the “Document Type” drop down menu
  • Give your document a unique title (i.e. “AMCAS Letter Request Form for Professor Smith”)
  • Upload the AMCAS Letter Request Form to your account
3) Include an AMCAS Letter Request Form for each document in your Interfolio delivery to AMCAS. So if you have 3 letters, you will include six documents in your delivery (3 letters and 3 AMCAS Letter Request Forms). If you have 1 committee letter, include 1 Letter Request Form.

4) Remember, you only have to send ONE Interfolio delivery to AMCAS for any of the twenty participating schools, whether you are applying to one or all twenty.
NOTE: If you do not have an AMCAS Letter Request form, you can still send letters to AMCAS though Interfolio. Be sure to check with AMCAS to make sure they have received and correctly matched your letter to your application.

As this new AMCAS process gets under way, we will initially be sending paper copies of your letters to AMCAS, while our team works with AMCAS to integrate with their system. By summer, we will facilitate both electronic delivery and the inclusion of the AMCAS Letter ID in your delivery.

If you have any questions about the AMCAS process, please contact them directly. If you have any questions for us, you can reach us at 877-77-FOLIO or [email protected].

AMCAS can receive letters sent to Interfolio if you are an Interfolio user or your institution/organization uses Interfolio to deliver letters of evaluation/recommendation. Make certain to add your AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID in your Interfolio account, as these IDs must accompany your letter in order for your letter to be matched with your application.
You need to include your AMCAS # and the Letter ID (which you designate). It does not appear you need to include the form.

As a footnote, you can store your AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID's in your account and include them with your deliveries, as Bacchus mentions. These will show up on the delivery cover sheet that we send out.

Good luck!

Jack Gaynor
Interfolio, Inc.

Jack -

Thank you so much for the clarification of this process. I am sure that all of our users (myself included) will find this information extremely helpful during this application cycle. Please keep us updated with any new developments.

Thanks!

Also, fellow SDNers, you can keep up with news posted by Interfolio by visiting their blog.

phew...that clears up alot!!! Thanks!

high five for Interfolio coming through in the clutch once again.

To echo Mr. Gaynor's post, here is the link to Interfolio's blog entry about AMCAS and Interfolio, which will provide more information about this situation that will be relevant to everyone using Interfolio.

http://interfolio.wordpress.com/2008/05/22/use-interfolio-to-send-your-letters-to-amcas/

Use Interfolio to Send Your Letters to AMCAS!

Interfolio has been working with AMCAS to ensure that our users will be able to send letters from their Interfolio accounts to AMCAS for the twenty schools participating in their pilot letter program. Below are instructions on how to submit your letter to AMCAS using Interfolio.
1) Request and store your LORs through Interfolio as usual
2) If you have the AMCAS Letter Request form for your letter (available on the AMCAS site), please upload it into your Interfolio account and include it in your delivery. Please DO NOT give it to your letter writer.
Here’s how to upload it:
  • From your “My Documents” view, click the link to “Add Document”
  • Select “Other Document” from the “Document Type” drop down menu
  • Give your document a unique title (i.e. “AMCAS Letter Request Form for Professor Smith”)
  • Upload the AMCAS Letter Request Form to your account
3) Include an AMCAS Letter Request Form for each document in your Interfolio delivery to AMCAS. So if you have 3 letters, you will include six documents in your delivery (3 letters and 3 AMCAS Letter Request Forms). If you have 1 committee letter, include 1 Letter Request Form.
4) Remember, you only have to send ONE Interfolio delivery to AMCAS for any of the twenty participating schools, whether you are applying to one or all twenty.
NOTE: If you do not have an AMCAS Letter Request form, you can still send letters to AMCAS though Interfolio. Be sure to check with AMCAS to make sure they have received and correctly matched your letter to your application.
As this new AMCAS process gets under way, we will initially be sending paper copies of your letters to AMCAS, while our team works with AMCAS to integrate with their system. By summer, we will facilitate both electronic delivery and the inclusion of the AMCAS Letter ID in your delivery.
If you have any questions about the AMCAS process, please contact them directly. If you have any questions for us, you can reach us at 877-77-FOLIO or [email protected].

Wow, thanks for a very helpful response Interfolio.. All other LOE threads should just be redirected here so they won't waste everyone's time!

nvmd

Last edited:
My school uses VirtualEvals, so I sent an email to my pre-med advisor about what to do for the AMCAS LOR schools. Here's the response I got:

In terms of the transmission, we use a program called virtual evals to upload our letters to the various schools. The program allows us to upload letters to AMCAS and AMCAS will transmit to Georgetown as they want it.

At or around July 17th, please e-mail me a list of schools you are applying to, your letter ID number, your AMCAS ID number and written permission to transmit your packet.

It is confusing which is why we are using virtual evals.

I believe we need a letter ID for each writer. Does that mean I have to have 10 letter ID's if I have 10 LOR's ? Where can I choose which letter ID to use for which request

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Jack!

One question. You say if we have one committee letter, we only need one letter request form. That's what we were told by UVA, but why would I do that when they are only responsible for writing one letter and I'm the one who submits all my letters? If I have five letters, including one committee letter, I should be submitting 10 documents to AMCAS through Interfolio, right?

Do I have to have my LOEs sent in before submitting my primary application?

Do I have to have my LOEs sent in before submitting my primary application?

No. But they will need to be sent in before your secondaries can be considered "complete." In other words, you can send the LOEs anytime up until the deadline for the secondary application. However, the earlier the better.

What do you do if you send all your letters to your undergrad institution?

How does this work if I have one of those "letter sending services" through my university? I have already had all of my LORs sent to them... what do I do?

You provide the coversheet from AMCAS to them. Unless, of course your University uses Interfolio or VirtualEvals, then they can just send them to AMCAS as long as your AAMC ID is on there.

is the coversheet on the amcas application or does it come afterwards?

So if my letter service through the school sends it electronically, I don't need to do that?

Oh, I'm still confused :(

So I have 4 letters ready to go on Interfolio.

But I have to go to AMCAS to get a letter request form?
Ok, so what I did was click on the "Letters of Evaluation" tab and click "Yes," I would like an AMCAS Letter. Then I click on "Letter Packet" because I want to send all 4 letters in a "packet." Then eventually I get to this long form of "letter title" "primary contact" name, email, phone, address, etc. But now I'm confused. Who IS my primary contact (I have 4 letter-writers...)?! Am I doing something wrong?

Also, say I have letters A, B, C, and D. And say I'm applying to schools A and B that are participating in this new LOE program through AMCAS.

If I want to send letters A-D to school A and only letter D to school B, what do I do?

Oh, I'm still confused :(

So I have 4 letters ready to go on Interfolio.

But I have to go to AMCAS to get a letter request form?
Ok, so what I did was click on the "Letters of Evaluation" tab and click "Yes," I would like an AMCAS Letter. Then I click on "Letter Packet" because I want to send all 4 letters in a "packet." Then eventually I get to this long form of "letter title" "primary contact" name, email, phone, address, etc. But now I'm confused. Who IS my primary contact (I have 4 letter-writers...)?! Am I doing something wrong?

Also, say I have letters A, B, C, and D. And say I'm applying to schools A and B that are participating in this new LOE program through AMCAS.

If I want to send letters A-D to school A and only letter D to school B, what do I do?

Sounds like each of them get their own "letter" on AMCAS.

Sounds like each of them get their own "letter" on AMCAS.

Each school?

i.e. I need 2 separate "packages" where the first one would have letters A-D targeted for school A and the second "package" would have letters D targeted for school B?

Each school?

i.e. I need 2 separate "packages" where the first one would have letters A-D targeted for school A and the second "package" would have letters D targeted for school B?

No. Each LETTER has its separate ID and request form. So if you have four professors who wrote LORs, each professor will get their own letter ID and letter request form in AMCAS. Then in the "schools" section, choose which schools will get which letters (usually most schools will get all of them unless they've stated a maximum. Then upload the letter request forms to Interfolio and have them submit the request form and the letter for each writer to AMCAS. Once that happens everything should be set and you shouldn't have to do anything else.

No. Each LETTER has its separate ID and request form. So if you have four professors who wrote LORs, each professor will get their own letter ID and letter request form in AMCAS. Then in the "schools" section, choose which schools will get which letters (usually most schools will get all of them unless they've stated a maximum. Then upload the letter request forms to Interfolio and have them submit the request form and the letter for each writer to AMCAS. Once that happens everything should be set and you shouldn't have to do anything else.

What he said.

So will I be able to recieve secondaries from participating schools if I do not complete thispart of the AMCAS?

In my situation, I will not have all of my LOE's ready until late July or August, but I want to submit and be verified by Mid July. What should I do about this?

Hm... so one of my letters is written by my prehealth advisor. Others are by individual professors. They each individually uploaded their own letters onto Interfolio. So on AMCAS then, I would click on "individual" letter of evaluation or "packet of letter"? My prehealth listing emailed us to do the latter but I don't understand why if I'm uploading individual letters... :scared:

Also, in either case, on the AMCAS "add a letter of recommendation" form, what do I put in for address? I don't know my professors' home or office addresses

Hm... so one of my letters is written by my prehealth advisor. Others are by individual professors. They each individually uploaded their own letters onto Interfolio. So on AMCAS then, I would click on "individual" letter of evaluation or "packet of letter"? My prehealth listing emailed us to do the latter but I don't understand why if I'm uploading individual letters... :scared:

Also, in either case, on the AMCAS "add a letter of recommendation" form, what do I put in for address? I don't know my professors' home or office addresses

Ask your pre-health advisor how they want you to do it. If you're getting all of your letters by yourself and uploading them individually to Interfolio, then you will have assign separate letter IDs to each letter. However, if your pre-health advisor and/or committee are writing a letter for you and including all of the other letters in a packet, you only need to assign one letter ID to the "packet" and have your pre-health advisor send the packet to Interfolio.

It's all based on how your letters are being compiled.

i have a question on interfolio, so I printout the interfolio cover sheet, do my writers need to scan that too or do they just need to upload the letter itself using the ID code from interfolio

i dont undertand something...i go to a school who puts together a commitee letter....all my professors sent the letters to the prehealth office and compile them....do i need to do nething else? do i have to use interfolio

i dont undertand something...i go to a school who puts together a commitee letter....all my professors sent the letters to the prehealth office and compile them....do i need to do nething else? do i have to use interfolio

It depends on your undergraduate institution and what services the pre-health office/career center offer. If they have stated that they will send your letters to the medical schools, you do not need to use Interfolio. Just check with your pre-med advisor or the chair of the pre-med committee to determine how they handle LORs. Also, if you're applying to any of the schools participating in the AMCAS LOR/LOE program, you need to make sure that your school/letter service sends copies of your letters to AMCAS.

Do a lot of pre-meds have more than the typical: 2 science prof + 1 nonscience prof + prehealth advisor (if applicable)?

That's all I have and I'm a bit concerned... I don't know any MDs well enough to speak well on my behalf. Same goes for my research supervisor. :(

Do a lot of pre-meds have more than the typical: 2 science prof + 1 nonscience prof + prehealth advisor (if applicable)?

That's all I have and I'm a bit concerned... I don't know any MDs well enough to speak well on my behalf. Same goes for my research supervisor. :(

You should be okay at most schools. Check out the admissions websites of the schools you're applying to and see if any of them require more. I got a LOR from 2 science profs (1 Bio & 1 Chem), 1 non-science prof (English), PI from clinical research, and an MD I've shadowed and known for about 15 years. I'll also have a LOR from our pre-health committee.

wow, I appreciate all these explanations, but Im STILL confused about how the LOE thing works!! IF the schools that I want to apply to are not supported by the AMCAS LOE service, what is the procedure then??? Does that mean that Each professor that writes me a LOE has to send a letter to EACH of these schools separately? or is ths when Interfolio comes to use and they just upload a single LOE and then I choose which schools to send the letter to and When to send them??

please please clarify this for me, :eek:

thanks!

wow, I appreciate all these explanations, but Im STILL confused about how the LOE thing works!! IF the schools that I want to apply to are not supported by the AMCAS LOE service, what is the procedure then??? Does that mean that Each professor that writes me a LOE has to send a letter to EACH of these schools separately? or is ths when Interfolio comes to use and they just upload a single LOE and then I choose which schools to send the letter to and When to send them??

please please clarify this for me, :eek:

thanks!

You are on the right track. I will tell you, step-by-step, what you need to do, and hopefully it will make a bit more sense. I don't know why AMCAS decided to do this LOR service - it's REALLY confusing.

This is assuming you're using Interfolio.

1. Request letters of recommendation.
2. Sign up for an Interfolio account.
3. When the letter writers are finished, have them submit their letters to Interfolio (not sure of the procedure for this - check Interfolio's website).
4. Add your letter writers' information into the AMCAS LOE section.
5. For the schools using AMCAS's LOE service, assign the letters you want sent to those schools in the "Schools" section of AMCAS.
6. Print (or save a PDF of) the letter request form from AMCAS for EACH letter you are submitting.
7. Send or upload the letter request forms to Interfolio.
8. Request that Interfolio send your letters and request forms to AMCAS.
9. When you get secondaries for schools NOT participating in the AMCAS LOE service, have Interfolio send them directly to those schools.

I hope this makes it a little clearer for you - let us know if you have anymore questions!

I think I understand, but I just want to make sure I got it right -

My school loads all my letters onto virtual evals

so I dont need to have the letter writers include my amcas ID# on the letters to send to my school

I only need to have my school have the amcas ID info page so they can send the virtual eval packet to amcas?

I think I understand, but I just want to make sure I got it right -

My school loads all my letters onto virtual evals

so I dont need to have the letter writers include my amcas ID# on the letters to send to my school

I only need to have my school have the amcas ID info page so they can send the virtual eval packet to amcas?

Yes, that is correct. I'm sure it couldn't hurt to have your letter writers put your AMCAS ID on your letters, but it is by no means required or even necessary.

Yes, that is correct. I'm sure it couldn't hurt to have your letter writers put your AMCAS ID on your letters, but it is by no means required or even necessary.

thanks

So I "delivered" my letter pack from Interfolio (paid my $4) to AMCAS last Thursday - the "same day [electronic] delivery." My AMCAS page says it still hasn't received it though. Is that normal?

If it's electronic and I have the AMCAS cover letter, why does it take this much time?

So I "delivered" my letter pack from Interfolio (paid my $4) to AMCAS last Thursday - the "same day [electronic] delivery." My AMCAS page says it still hasn't received it though. Is that normal?

If it's electronic and I have the AMCAS cover letter, why does it take this much time?

AMCAS's priority is not LOEs right now - it's getting transcripts logged into the system. Because LOEs do not have to be turned in with the primary, I would just wait a week or two before getting too worried. You can always call AMCAS and ask how long it would take to have the letters show up on your file.

AMCAS's priority is not LOEs right now - it's getting transcripts logged into the system. Because LOEs do not have to be turned in with the primary, I would just wait a week or two before getting too worried. You can always call AMCAS and ask how long it would take to have the letters show up on your file.
I sent out a LOE from Interfolio on 5/25 and AMCAS only verified that they received it today. I called AMCAS to see how long it would take to have letters show up in the file but they said since this is a pilot system, even they don't have an approximation. Hope that helps!

What is the AMCAS LOE pilot system?

Will the AMCAS LOE system affect my application

• The LOE writer can directly mail the letter to AMCAS via first-class postal mail. Make sure to include the cover sheet (includes the identification barcode) and have the LOE be on appropriate letterhead and signed. The address is available on the physical coversheet which is obtained through the AMCAS, LOE section.

Is it absolutely imperative to have the letters signed? Please let me know. I already requested letters using Interfolio.

Is it absolutely imperative to have the letters signed? Please let me know. I already requested letters using Interfolio.

Yes. I've never heard of a letter of recommendation that wasn't signed. Any formal business correspondence should be signed by the writer.

If it's not signed, how do they know that you didn't just write it yourself and print it out?

can someone tell me when the letters are due? due along with the very first AMCAS application? Or are they due when the secondaries come? I am clueless. Can someone explain this to me here as well as in Private message?

can someone tell me when the letters are due? due along with the very first AMCAS application? Or are they due when the secondaries come? I am clueless. Can someone explain this to me here as well as in Private message?

They are due with the secondaries. You don't have to turn them in until you turn in your secondary, and even then you can turn your secondaries in before your LORs. For most schools that's some time in the early winter, but it's advisable to get them in much (MUCH) earlier than that.